Why do AFL, NRL flagwavers denigrate soccer at every opportunity, Fox Sports commentator Simon Hill...

Why do AFL, NRL flagwavers denigrate soccer at every opportunity, Fox...

Author
Jazzmaster
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/why-do-afl-nrl-flagwavers-denigrate-soccer-at-every-opportunity-fox-sports-football-commentator-simon-hill-asks/story-e6frf423-1226073107942

Well, wasn't that a super night's entertainment at Etihad Stadium? Top-quality football, two committed sides, a vibrant atmosphere, and some real stars of the future on show.

At least, that’s the game I thought I had attended along with 28,000 others - until I read one of the following days AFL-centric Melbourne papers.

To my horror, I discovered I must have been dreaming.

Apparently, I had been among a hate-filled seething mass, intent on causing trouble, stirring up ethnic tensions and wrecking the stadium; it’s a good job the roof was closed because clearly the sky was falling in. Wow, the things you miss!

In the battle of the Australian football codes, all's fair in love and war. But if it's a war against football ... maybe it's time the fraternity returned fire.
Now it’s true that there were flares, and I’m not condoning the few idiots who saw fit to throw them near the pitch. But that’s exactly what they were; a few idiots among a colourful, noisy, well-behaved majority.

I’m sure fans of SANFL club Central Districts would agree; after all, some of them regularly let off flares, an action described in glowing terms in one of SANFL’s own publications as “celebratory”. (Go towards the end of page 4, if you are at all interested.) There’s even You Tube footage of them doing it at the 2008 SANFL grand final.

We should also condemn the moron who saw fit to drape a “Free Mladic” banner from the stands on Tuesday night. It was taken down by stewards inside five minutes. But then, so was a banner saying “Nauru detention just isn’t cricket” at the MCG back in 2003. Political messages have no place in sport.

And neither does racism.

Perhaps that’s why the paper in question, along with a Melbourne radio station (both of whom have form in sticking the boot into football), were so keen to deflect the public wrath towards what they call "soccer" given the AFL’s recent racial vilification issues involving supporters of their game, and players Lance Franklin and Majak Daw.

It was really interesting reading the public responses to the two - extremely inflammatory - topics.

The events (such as they were) at Etihad attracted some of the following remarks: “Get rid of this ridiculous ethnic bigotry” ... “This is Australia, leave your problems where you immigrated (sic) from” ... “Soccer is rubbish with people that are full of hate following it" ...

Now, let’s consider some of the responses to the AFL racial vilification scandal in the same publication a couple of days earlier: “Aboriginals should have a thicker skin. So you get called names, so what?” ... “Can’t say this to this person, can’t say that to that person, all because you might upset somebody" ... “So, one person making stupid comments makes the sporting code racist does it?” ...

Spot the difference?

For the record, Football Federation Australia has confirmed that fans arrested at Etihad will be barred from all future international and domestic games. No questions asked.

The Aussie Rules fan who racially abused Majak Daw? He’s welcome back at games as of next season, so long as he undertakes a “re-education” program and says "sorry".

The rabble-rousers love to pick up on specific incidents to try to paint football in a poor light, but the facts of the matter are these: The A-League has the lowest number of fan ejections pro rata of any of the four football codes, while your average AFL blockbuster sees around 50 fans thrown out for drunkenness, a dozen for swearing and offensive behaviour, plus a couple for violent assaults.

In the battle of the Australian football codes, all’s fair in love and war.

But if it’s a war against football, (and in some cases it clearly is), then maybe it's time the fraternity returned fire.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Jazzmaster wrote:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/why-do-afl-nrl-flagwavers-denigrate-soccer-at-every-opportunity-fox-sports-football-commentator-simon-hill-asks/story-e6frf423-1226073107942

Well, wasn't that a super night's entertainment at Etihad Stadium? Top-quality football, two committed sides, a vibrant atmosphere, and some real stars of the future on show.

At least, that’s the game I thought I had attended along with 28,000 others - until I read one of the following days AFL-centric Melbourne papers.

To my horror, I discovered I must have been dreaming.

Apparently, I had been among a hate-filled seething mass, intent on causing trouble, stirring up ethnic tensions and wrecking the stadium; it’s a good job the roof was closed because clearly the sky was falling in. Wow, the things you miss!

In the battle of the Australian football codes, all's fair in love and war. But if it's a war against football ... maybe it's time the fraternity returned fire.
Now it’s true that there were flares, and I’m not condoning the few idiots who saw fit to throw them near the pitch. But that’s exactly what they were; a few idiots among a colourful, noisy, well-behaved majority.

I’m sure fans of SANFL club Central Districts would agree; after all, some of them regularly let off flares, an action described in glowing terms in one of SANFL’s own publications as “celebratory”. (Go towards the end of page 4, if you are at all interested.) There’s even You Tube footage of them doing it at the 2008 SANFL grand final.

We should also condemn the moron who saw fit to drape a “Free Mladic” banner from the stands on Tuesday night. It was taken down by stewards inside five minutes. But then, so was a banner saying “Nauru detention just isn’t cricket” at the MCG back in 2003. Political messages have no place in sport.

And neither does racism.

Perhaps that’s why the paper in question, along with a Melbourne radio station (both of whom have form in sticking the boot into football), were so keen to deflect the public wrath towards what they call "soccer" given the AFL’s recent racial vilification issues involving supporters of their game, and players Lance Franklin and Majak Daw.

It was really interesting reading the public responses to the two - extremely inflammatory - topics.

The events (such as they were) at Etihad attracted some of the following remarks: “Get rid of this ridiculous ethnic bigotry” ... “This is Australia, leave your problems where you immigrated (sic) from” ... “Soccer is rubbish with people that are full of hate following it" ...

Now, let’s consider some of the responses to the AFL racial vilification scandal in the same publication a couple of days earlier: “Aboriginals should have a thicker skin. So you get called names, so what?” ... “Can’t say this to this person, can’t say that to that person, all because you might upset somebody" ... “So, one person making stupid comments makes the sporting code racist does it?” ...

Spot the difference?

For the record, Football Federation Australia has confirmed that fans arrested at Etihad will be barred from all future international and domestic games. No questions asked.

The Aussie Rules fan who racially abused Majak Daw? He’s welcome back at games as of next season, so long as he undertakes a “re-education” program and says "sorry".

The rabble-rousers love to pick up on specific incidents to try to paint football in a poor light, but the facts of the matter are these: The A-League has the lowest number of fan ejections pro rata of any of the four football codes, while your average AFL blockbuster sees around 50 fans thrown out for drunkenness, a dozen for swearing and offensive behaviour, plus a couple for violent assaults.

In the battle of the Australian football codes, all’s fair in love and war.

But if it’s a war against football, (and in some cases it clearly is), then maybe it's time the fraternity returned fire.

bravo to mr hill , the hyperbole that followed the aus v serbia game made me sick yes the dickwads who had free mladic and etc etc should be barred as they are aussie born serbs who have no balls to step back in the home country but for the afl followers to stick the boot in but to ignore the open racism against buddy,majack and the like is mind numbing! also we as a country are more concerned about animals rights but ignore human rights
con m
con m
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Because they are f#cking frightened insular Bogans that is why
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

u be suprised conm half the people who commented on the hun and on neil mitchell are aussie born europeans!!! they feed into the frenzy . like nas said wake up and lets not be sheep
Davstar
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

Neil mitchell need to gt ot fr the way he talked about football.

I have nothing against people who don't support football it is those who attack football. Trust me if football fans were as violent as 'reported' half these wouldn't leave there house out of fear.

Edited by Davstar: 10/6/2011 10:17:41 PM

these Kangaroos can play football - 
Ange P. (Intercontinental WC Play-offs 2017) 

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF FOOTBALL

con m
con m
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Well I consider the effnicks of European background with such attitude Bogans’ as well f@ck them also
spathi
spathi
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

conm wrote:
Because they are f#cking frightened insular Bogans that is why

Carlito
Carlito
Legend

conm wrote:
Well I consider the effnicks of European background with such attitude Bogans’ as well f@ck them also

i agree conm , oh on a random tangent i got accousted at work about us :"soccer fans"by a co worker of mine talking about were destroying the australian way blah blah blah!
MichaelB
MichaelB
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

It is interesting. If you look at the few football articles that they print in the papers. Then read the comments sent in by people. There seems a real hatred of all things football, especially from some AFL people. I find this very strange as I am the type of person that is not interested in other codes therefore I don't bother reading about them, let alone comment about them.
con m
con m
Pro

Boys I have been growing up in this land for some fifty years and these f%ckers are seeing a real threat from the world game

Keep up the good fight and good will prevail

Edited by conm: 10/6/2011 10:29:32 PM
Davstar
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

conm wrote:
Boys I have been growing up in this land for some fifty years and these f%ckers are seeing a real threat from the world game

GOD I HOPE SO

Edited by Davstar: 10/6/2011 10:32:17 PM

these Kangaroos can play football - 
Ange P. (Intercontinental WC Play-offs 2017) 

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF FOOTBALL

skeptic
skeptic
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

Jazzmaster wrote:

The events (such as they were) at Etihad attracted some of the following remarks: “Get rid of this ridiculous ethnic bigotry” ... “This is Australia, leave your problems where you immigrated (sic) from” ...

Now, let’s consider some of the responses to the AFL racial vilification scandal in the same publication a couple of days earlier: “Aboriginals (ethnics) should have a thicker skin. So you get called names, so what?” ... “Can’t say this to this person, can’t say that to that person, all because you might upset somebody" ... “So, one person making stupid comments makes the sporting code racist does it?” ...

With just a couple of changes, it sounds strikingly familiar to common suggestions and comments on this forum. Football fans are no f****** better. Hell, just last week in a thread.....

Quote:
Too many people are using the racist card nowadays. People need to harden up a bit.

Quote:
yeah i reckon......people just dont get the aussie humour

Quote:
Its the world of being PC afterall.
In the end, the tag is used too often, and usually is subjectively used to further an agenda.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=54351

Now read the thread prior to the Au/Serb game for another dose of the garbage said by the radio listeners, as mentioned by Hill in the article, but this time by football supporters. http://au.fourfourtwo.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=54873

Let the enormous hypocrisy continue.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend

when i wrote in to defend us mv followers when the hun wrote about how us fans are the worse in australia my comment didnt get published on the website! all i read was hate filled venom which scarred me to my bones because i can see some of the commentators actually doing something stupid
girtXc
girtXc
World Class
World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)

Its certainly time to do something
Carlito
Carlito
Legend

like what girt?if we do something proactive we will be painted as hooligans !
scouse_roar
scouse_roar
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Fear of being cast aside as the sports of limited appeal that they mostly are, I suppose.

Xenophobia and insularity will ensure they never reach beyond the small spheres of influence they currently have - while the World Game is, well, the World Game.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend

i just want to find the rant that francis leach did a couple of months ago on sen ! does anyone know what im talking about?
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Love Simon Hill

Best commentator we have and he always stands up for the game.
Ali07
Ali07
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Well done by Mr. Hill. Too bad that he won't reach as many people as the other journos do...
StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Simon HIll to replace Ben Buckley!
Sirocco
Sirocco
Rising Star
Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)

Every time a football writer complains about the coverage, it just brings it more into the spotlight.

Just ignore the anti-football brigade and their voice gets smaller. Its nowhere near as bad as it used to be in this country and will eventually in time fade away.
WastedYouth
WastedYouth
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

Its because of fear. The AFL and NRL are afraid that the rising popularity of Football in Australia will put their sport in a postion they dont want to be.
krisskrash
krisskrash
Hacker
Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)

nhub24 wrote:
Its because of fear. The AFL and NRL are afraid that the rising popularity of Football in Australia will put their sport in a postion they dont want to be.

I honestly don't see what they would have to fear. The AFL have signed the biggest television deal in the history of this country, expansion seems to be going alright for them, crowds over the last few years have reached their all time high. Things seem to be going fairly well for them. (I wouldn't really know whats going on in the NRL world) Especially seeing in this country we're a summer sport, I don't think the AFL care about what we do at all, as long as it doesn't affect their plans, eg- ground sharing etc.
Judy Free
Judy Free
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
conm wrote:

The ol' sleeping giant eh? :lol:

The other codes do it 'cos they know sockah people will bite. At times we are so far up our own arses (euro sockah snobbery) we deserve an occasional kick in the groin.

blacka
blacka
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Judy Free wrote:
conm wrote:

The other codes do it 'cos they know sockah people will bite. At times we are so far up our own arses (euro sockah snobbery) we deserve an occasional kick in the groin.

well being up our own arses does make it easier to be oblivious to the latest ARF/NRL goings on... in Melbourne its probably the only way u can!

Sirocco
Sirocco
Rising Star
Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)

Judy Free wrote:
conm wrote:

In the USA, they have a saying:

"Soccer is the sport of the future and always will be"

The same can be said here too.
Shatter
Shatter
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Umm, as a number of people pointed out on the article, where on earth does NRL come in to this? The article itself just highlighted issues from the AFL-centric media in Melbourne. NRL has been nothing but supportive of football lately. Timmy Cahill on the Footy Show promoting football coaching clinics... It would be a cold day in hell before that ever happened in the AFL. Hell, it would be a cold day in hell before football ever promoted an NRL coaching clinic on the The World Game or something similar. We've had three Socceroo players in three weeks on the NRL Footy Show. That's probably the most coverage football has received since the EPL finished.

The reality is that Andrew Demetriou publicly admitted a couple of weeks ago in his address that he wants the other codes destroyed. That's the kind of leadership that the AFL media and fans follow. NRL is a working class sport that does not have the same pretensions of AFL. I also suspect it has to do with the fact that the NRLs heartland has traditionally been the western suburbs, where football is also very popular. A number of footballers followed the NRL growing up and vice-versa.

Whilst the NRL will always put its own interests first, I've always found the NRL to be, at the very least, very accepting of football's role in Australia. It's time to pick your friends and enemies and with AFL on the warpath through its aggressive expansion tactics and junior recruitment, I think picking on the NRL is a bit ridiculous.

Also, I love the article by Simon Hill but I hope he realises that NRL and AFL denigrate each other ALL THE TIME. It's nothing specifically to do with football at all.

Edited by Shatter: 11/6/2011 09:42:01 AM
skeptic
skeptic
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

Why is the nrl mentioned in the article heading? I can't see any mention of them in the article or aware of any nrl bagging of the socceroo match. Being in nsw, is this in regards to the radio jock and the herald sun?

Mitchel is so right wing he can't turn left without falling over and will use any chance he can get to bash immigrants, immigration and anything else that disturbs his homogenised view of what the the country should be. Just like Jones ect. in NSW, only the audience they pander to will take any notice. Right wingers with a similar, extreme view.
RobA
RobA
Amateur
Amateur (658 reputation)Amateur (658 reputation)Amateur (658 reputation)Amateur (658 reputation)Amateur (658 reputation)Amateur (658 reputation)Amateur (658 reputation)Amateur (658 reputation)Amateur (658 reputation)Amateur (658 reputation)Amateur (658 reputation)

krisskrash wrote:
nhub24 wrote:

I honestly don't see what they would have to fear. The AFL have signed the biggest television deal in the history of this country, expansion seems to be going alright for them, crowds over the last few years have reached their all time high. Things seem to be going fairly well for them. (I wouldn't really know whats going on in the NRL world) Especially seeing in this country we're a summer sport, I don't think the AFL care about what we do at all, as long as it doesn't affect their plans, eg- ground sharing etc.

it is not fear. it is jealousy. they know they are number one here and always will be but they also know that afl or nrl or even union is not the greatest game on the planet. thats what irks them.
Shatter
Shatter
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

RobA wrote:
krisskrash wrote:
nhub24 wrote:

it is not fear. it is jealousy. they know they are number one here and always will be but they also know that afl or nrl or even union is not the greatest game on the planet. thats what irks them.

I know a LOT of NRL fans and none of them are "jealous". Most of them couldn't care less and are casual football followers (eg. will watch the A-League final and the Socceroos etc). I personally think football fans use the jealousy tag to feel more important.

On the other hand, I will say a lot of NRL fans absolutely despise the AFL. Perhaps that is a reflection of a bit of jealousy. If the AFL was watched by a few hundred people and a dog, I doubt they would despise it or have any particular feelings towards it.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search