The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

Author
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
2 of the so-called “British duds” are subject to six figure transfer offers from the UK. Might just be the smartest business Roar have done. 
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

paulc - 12 Feb 2020 9:35 AM
MrBrisbane - 12 Feb 2020 9:19 AM

Some still had a contract but in the main a new team was brought in. The recruitment by Roar has been a disaster across the board. Jamie Young is the only consistent player at good HAL standard.

Thank goodness RF is showing promise at coaching at least.

Can't put in what God left out.

Robbie is doing a great job bringing out the skills and qualities the players have. Not even Robbie could get a team of U7s to sixth in this league so the players have to be good enough. The whole point of a good coach is to bring out the best in players as well as getting them to mesh - you do the team a disservice to just label them crap when they must have 'something' in order to be doing as they are against the much higher skill levels of some opponents.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

Mr B
Mr B
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Waz - 12 Feb 2020 9:31 AM

I like Pepper. In an uncapped League I wouldn’t like Pepper but the reality is he’s getting minimum wage ($80k?) so look around the league and see what $80k buys you? 

The thing with Pepper is he always looks like he gives a sh*t, that’s why RF likes him. 

Bowles on the other hand is going ... 

As long as he gives a shit as a squad player from the bench I am fine with it, but come on now neither is starting 11 material, we need to get serious about next season, Fowler has a good foundation, shows he can coach, just needs to drop the dead wood, not keep them. 

Edited
4 Years Ago by MrBrisbane
Mello-D
Mello-D
Amateur
Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)

In the Courier Mail it stated Fowler was in talks to extend Peppers contract beyond this season, fuck me dead.
I'm sure Bowles is next....................
People talking about British duds but these are the duds we need gone, they are not starting 11 material, don't care what anybody says. 

Don't mind him staying so long as he is on minimum money and only a squad player called upon if the worst were to happen re: injuries. Someone needs to take up that role in the squad, and it may as well be someone we know. 
aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Some still had a contract but in the main a new team was brought in. The recruitment by Roar has been a disaster across the board. Jamie Young is the only consistent player at good HAL standard.

Thank goodness RF is showing promise at coaching at least.

How bad can the recruitment have been when each week we see Roar players in team of the week?  WSW, WU, Victory all have "superior" imports that I would assume you class as not "disastrous", but are sitting below Roar on the table.  As RoarInMeBlood points out, as good a coach as RF might be, you can't bring out of a player what's not there.  The squad can certainly be strengthened and it will be interesting to see what RF does with the available foreign spot.  Try being happy when the club wins, and leave the misery for the times it actually loses ;)

Mr B
Mr B
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Mello-D - 12 Feb 2020 10:25 AM

Don't mind him staying so long as he is on minimum money and only a squad player called upon if the worst were to happen re: injuries. Someone needs to take up that role in the squad, and it may as well be someone we know. 

Agreed, no problem with that but it just seems like the way Fowler was talking in the paper Pepper is a starter for him but I guess we will see next season.

Edited
4 Years Ago by MrBrisbane
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

aok - 12 Feb 2020 10:27 AM

How bad can the recruitment have been when each week we see Roar players in team of the week?  WSW, WU, Victory all have "superior" imports that I would assume you class as not "disastrous", but are sitting below Roar on the table.  As RoarInMeBlood points out, as good a coach as RF might be, you can't bring out of a player what's not there.  The squad can certainly be strengthened and it will be interesting to see what RF does with the available foreign spot.  Try being happy when the club wins, and leave the misery for the times it actually loses ;)

As I keep saying, RF is doing a good job under the circumstances.

In a resort somewhere

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

MrBrisbane - 12 Feb 2020 10:30 AM
Mello-D - 12 Feb 2020 10:25 AM

Agreed, no problem with that but it just seems like the way Fowler was talking in the paper Pepper is a starter for him but I guess we will see next season.

I doubt he’s a starter but you never know. 
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 12 Feb 2020 9:45 AM

Can't put in what God left out.

Robbie is doing a great job bringing out the skills and qualities the players have. Not even Robbie could get a team of U7s to sixth in this league so the players have to be good enough. The whole point of a good coach is to bring out the best in players as well as getting them to mesh - you do the team a disservice to just label them crap when they must have 'something' in order to be doing as they are against the much higher skill levels of some opponents.

Robbie has provided structure to the team, motivated them and I brought out the best of them, I agree. Doesn't mean their best is good enough though. I maintain their individual skill level is woeful and under the standard expected to see from professionals in the HAL. Consequence of all this is that the play is dull and the team is quite terrible to watch.

The turning point for RF was when he decided to drop certain players and introduce those with something different to offer - different from the one dimensional, skill-less players he previously started. It's no coincident we started picking up more points from that time on.

In my opinion Roar remain ugly to watch, despite their improvement. I know several people who have either thought twice about going to the game and not going at all because of this. Luckily they haven't poked their eyes out yet.

In a resort somewhere

Ds98
Ds98
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Waz - 12 Feb 2020 9:39 AM
2 of the so-called “British duds” are subject to six figure transfer offers from the UK. Might just be the smartest business Roar have done. 

inside info? or reports? cant find anything.
miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

paulc - 12 Feb 2020 11:04 AM

Robbie has provided structure to the team, motivated them and I brought out the best of them, I agree. Doesn't mean their best is good enough though. I maintain their individual skill level is woeful and under the standard expected to see from professionals in the HAL. Consequence of all this is that the play is dull and the team is quite terrible to watch.

The turning point for RF was when he decided to drop certain players and introduce those with something different to offer - different from the one dimensional, skill-less players he previously started. It's no coincident we started picking up more points from that time on.

In my opinion Roar remain ugly to watch, despite their improvement. I know several people who have either thought twice about going to the game and not going at all because of this. Luckily they haven't poked their eyes out yet.

To be fair I thought the first half last week was terrible to watch . A good indicator of that was I remember looking at my watch and thinking "must be half time soon"...we were 25 mins in ......second half with a few subs the whole game changed and was good to watch.....but hey the results are coming....who am I to criticise  ?

Waz
Waz
Legend

Ds98 - 12 Feb 2020 11:06 AM

inside info? or reports? cant find anything.

Just take them as rumours but solid ones imo - Holloway was subject to an offer in the window as well, again just rumours but also pretty solid. 

I don’t think they signed Gillesphey for this reason but if he continues improving he’ll be an easier transfer to the uk than an Aussie. 

jeggohouse
jeggohouse
Rising Star
Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)

Waz - 12 Feb 2020 11:23 AM

Just take them as rumours but solid ones imo - Holloway was subject to an offer in the window as well, again just rumours but also pretty solid. 

I don’t think they signed Gillesphey for this reason but if he continues improving he’ll be an easier transfer to the uk than an Aussie. 

You'd hope they're more solid than the Troisi rumours 
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

miron mercedes - 12 Feb 2020 11:11 AM

To be fair I thought the first half last week was terrible to watch . A good indicator of that was I remember looking at my watch and thinking "must be half time soon"...we were 25 mins in ......second half with a few subs the whole game changed and was good to watch.....but hey the results are coming....who am I to criticise  ?

Who are you to criticise? A fan with a vested interest. Gives you the right to call it as you see it.

It is funny - when you look thinking it must be half time I am looking and thinking '25 minutes and no goals conceded - we are a chance'.

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

Agree about the players dropped. I had hopes for ROD right to the end, but seeing him miss goals at Jets suggests his eye is still not in. He was a good risk that did not pay off and it was good to let him move on.

As aok says - there is a lot to be said for the recruits who have been named in teams of the week though - Gillesphey, Neville, Aldred, O'Shea (I may have missed some) - tells us that even if they are not pretty to watch at times, they are still good enough to be listed among the week's best across all teams. They are not big name players, and they did not come with a shiny pedigree, but they are working out as strengths for us and labelled quality in the weekly 'best'.

Gillesphey may spray the odd pass, but most of his long passes are accurate and when we have someone on the end who can then control the ball (some struggle with that) it is an effective weapon and a bonus skill in the team.

I know where you are coming from - as usual I see it a bit brighter.

jeggohouse
jeggohouse
Rising Star
Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 12 Feb 2020 11:54 AM

Who are you to criticise? A fan with a vested interest. Gives you the right to call it as you see it.

It is funny - when you look thinking it must be half time I am looking and thinking '25 minutes and no goals conceded - we are a chance'.

I actually thought BR's first half was a lot better than when they played AU at Hindmarsh. 
paulc
paulc
Legend

Roar in me Blood - 12 Feb 2020 12:05 PM

Agree about the players dropped. I had hopes for ROD right to the end, but seeing him miss goals at Jets suggests his eye is still not in. He was a good risk that did not pay off and it was good to let him move on.

As aok says - there is a lot to be said for the recruits who have been named in teams of the week though - Gillesphey, Neville, Aldred, O'Shea (I may have missed some) - tells us that even if they are not pretty to watch at times, they are still good enough to be listed among the week's best across all teams. They are not big name players, and they did not come with a shiny pedigree, but they are working out as strengths for us and labelled quality in the weekly 'best'.

Gillesphey may spray the odd pass, but most of his long passes are accurate and when we have someone on the end who can then control the ball (some struggle with that) it is an effective weapon and a bonus skill in the team.

I know where you are coming from - as usual I see it a bit brighter.

Appreciate your comments.
I'm a consumer first and foremost and love being entertained. I use football as a primary vehicle to give me the kicks - given my love for the game as a former player at many levels and as a coach, seniors, youth, women's etc over a very long period of time. Not doing it any more as I burnt out, so just want to enjoy it more and more rather than contribute my time in another form. Hence my expectation and demand for better quality and player skills come in number 1 on that front. We're not the AFL or RL, but the beautiful game.

In a resort somewhere

Edited
4 Years Ago by paulc
paulc
paulc
Legend

Fair enough.
There were times in the second half though that I just wanted to leave. The goals made it worth while.

In a resort somewhere

JiMMM
JiMMM
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)

Would be a good bit of business if we could get a fee for some of our imports going back to the UK, would hopefully make us a more attractive destination as well allowing us to get better imports.
Waz
Waz
Legend

“Fowler said the Roar were set to start talks with Jacob Pepper in the hope of extending his contract beyond this season.
“He’s done a good job for us and is good having around the dressing-room,” Fowler said of the 27-year-old midfielder.

“We’ll have a talk with him and see what he thinking about for next season.”

.... that’s what was said about Pepper possibly re-signing in the Mail today. 

Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Waz - 12 Feb 2020 2:45 PM
“Fowler said the Roar were set to start talks with Jacob Pepper in the hope of extending his contract beyond this season.
“He’s done a good job for us and is good having around the dressing-room,” Fowler said of the 27-year-old midfielder.

“We’ll have a talk with him and see what he thinking about for next season.”

.... that’s what was said about Pepper possibly re-signing in the Mail today. 

I like a bit of Pepper to go with the sauce. He provides plenty of enthusiasm which is something that was lacking in the first part of the season. Sometimes over zealous, but good value. I thoroughly enjoyed the Adelaide game, as the cut and thrust of the play was excellent. Two combative teams that both had a plan and, whilst it looked like AU would take the prize, we ultimately came through.
Mr B
Mr B
Legend

Well as long as hes good to have in the dressing room and brings enthusiasm, quick lets extend his contract.

Waz
Waz
Legend

MrBrisbane - 12 Feb 2020 3:05 PM
Well as long as hes good to have in the dressing room and brings enthusiasm, quick lets extend his contract.

As a coach I get that comment. 

As an ex-player I get that comment. 

As a current fan, his performances warrant an extension imo. 

aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Waz - 12 Feb 2020 11:23 AM

Interesting.  I would have thought O'Shea and Aldred would have attracted more interest.  Well done o the club if they can pick up some coin, could be an interesting additional revenue stream moving forward.
Mr B
Mr B
Legend

Waz - 12 Feb 2020 3:07 PM

All good Waz

miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Agreed ....but with one proviso....value for money.
I would assume he would be on a modest income . If so ,no problem with him staying but I would like to think he is being kept as a squaddie . We still need another quality midfielder  .Brattan would have been perfect so someone of that style and quality would be good (big ask).

Waz
Waz
Legend

miron mercedes - 13 Feb 2020 12:57 PM

Agreed ....but with one proviso....value for money.
I would assume he would be on a modest income . If so ,no problem with him staying but I would like to think he is being kept as a squaddie . We still need another quality midfielder  .Brattan would have been perfect so someone of that style and quality would be good (big ask).

Agree with all that. Looking at next seasons squad I’m expecting we’ll replace:

ROD ($$$)
Mauk ($$$)
O’Neil ($$)
Bowles ($$)

Brown is apparently on minimum wage but will need an increase if he is signed. 

But those 4 should give enough room to add four quality starting players to this side and yes, looking for the quality of Brattan, Broich or Castro this time. 

Mello-D
Mello-D
Amateur
Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)

Waz - 13 Feb 2020 1:19 PM
miron mercedes - 13 Feb 2020 12:57 PM

Agree with all that. Looking at next seasons squad I’m expecting we’ll replace:

ROD ($$$)
Mauk ($$$)
O’Neil ($$)
Bowles ($$)

Brown is apparently on minimum wage but will need an increase if he is signed. 

But those 4 should give enough room to add four quality starting players to this side and yes, looking for the quality of Brattan, Broich or Castro this time. 

Geez, we'd be pretty bad at negotiating if this were to happen. I imagine the conversation would be "You didn't have many/any options when you came here, and your performances haven't warranted a bigger deal, so either take the minimum or enjoy the NPL". 
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Mello-D - 13 Feb 2020 1:42 PM
Waz - 13 Feb 2020 1:19 PM

Geez, we'd be pretty bad at negotiating if this were to happen. I imagine the conversation would be "You didn't have many/any options when you came here, and your performances haven't warranted a bigger deal, so either take the minimum or enjoy the NPL". 

Sad thing is someone else in the league would likely give him another chance 
Waz
Waz
Legend

Davide82 - 13 Feb 2020 1:46 PM
Mello-D - 13 Feb 2020 1:42 PM

Sad thing is someone else in the league would likely give him another chance 

He’ll go to WU or Rams 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search