The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

Author
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
charlied - 17 Feb 2020 8:24 PM
I haven't changed your view of this Brisbane side. This is a poor side in a League of far too many poor sides. In terms of overall standards this season has seen the third consecutive year {at least} of falling standards. 

I have genuine hope for Brisbane next season. I have been turned around on Fowler. He's showing he has the chops for coaching. But the team is poor and recent results are an indictment of the competition, not an affirmation of Brisbane Roar. 

So, in summary, your initial assessment of Fowler was incorrect, your initial assessment of the team is correct, and it's the League's fault that Brisbane have only lost one in the last eight. because the League is shit. 

charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

aok - 18 Feb 2020 8:45 AM
charlied - 17 Feb 2020 8:24 PM

So, in summary, your initial assessment of Fowler was incorrect, your initial assessment of the team is correct, and it's the League's fault that Brisbane have only lost one in the last eight. because the League is shit. 

Sure, oversimplify and take your vocabulary with it. 
aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

charlied - 18 Feb 2020 1:57 PM
aok - 18 Feb 2020 8:45 AM

Sure, oversimplify and take your vocabulary with it. 

So at what point do you come to the conclusion that the team isn't a "poor side" and that your assessment may have been off?  Top 6, 5, 4?  
notarobot
notarobot
Rising Star
Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)

Waz - 17 Feb 2020 10:17 PM
notarobot - 17 Feb 2020 8:51 PM

He’s got two more years on contract with Burnley who apparently want a loan within the UK next year before deciding what to do with him. 

He will be wearing sky blue next but not Sydney or Manchester 

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

notarobot - 18 Feb 2020 6:28 PM
Waz - 17 Feb 2020 10:17 PM

He will be wearing sky blue next but not Sydney or Manchester 

His next (loan) move is his most important one imo - he’s had 5 clubs in the last 4 seasons, with four of them being loan clubs. 

It doesn’t look like there’s much consideration being paid towards his development in any of these loans. 

This was a good game for him but prior to this one game he hasn’t played well this season; falling behind Jacob Pepper in the pecking order isn’t normally a sign good things will be happening to your career. 

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Glancing at the comments made this last page or two, I'd say does it really matter who is favorite over the other given we're splitting hairs over mediocrity. 

Roar should bust its arse to get a top striker or mid. It has the marquee allocation yet to fill which it could fund as it did previous years.

Fowler showed promise before the HAL kicked off in pre-season. The team was well structured then and looked like a decent side quite capable until the HAL season. The players could not cope with the standard but Fowler improved.

The pros are hat we have overall improved, continue to be well structured and there's glimpses of good quality play with tenacity and drive in the team. With the cons, we lack skill, exhibit poor improvisation and are slow in the thinking department. Even ignoring we're the ugliest team to watch, we are mediocre.

In a resort somewhere

Edited
4 Years Ago by paulc
charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

paulc - 19 Feb 2020 8:53 AM
Glancing at the comments made this last page or two, I'd say does it really matter who is favorite over the other given we're splitting hairs over mediocrity. 

Roar should bust its arse to get a top striker or mid. It has the marquee allocation yet to fill which it could fund as it did previous years.

Fowler showed promise before the HAL kicked off in pre-season. The team was well structured then and looked like a decent side quite capable until the HAL season. The players could not cope with the standard but Fowler improved.

The pros are hat we have overall improved, continue to be well structured and there's glimpses of good quality play with tenacity and drive in the team. With the cons, we lack skill, exhibit poor improvisation and are slow in the thinking the moves ahead. Even ignoring we're the ugliest team to watch, we are mediocre.

This 100%. Nothing to add. 
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

The pros are hat we have overall improved, continue to be well structured and there's glimpses of good quality play with tenacity and drive in the team. With the cons, we lack skill, exhibit poor improvisation and are slow in the thinking department. Even ignoring we're the ugliest team to watch, we are mediocre.

beep beep beep beep beep .....

that’s the sound you make when you start to reverse your position. It would help if you added that to the top and bottom of this post 😉
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Waz - 19 Feb 2020 9:13 AM

that’s the sound you make when you start to reverse your position. It would help if you added that to the top and bottom of this post 😉

LOL nothing here I hadn't said or implied before. Sometimes I take my orange tinted glasses off to ensure reality was not escaping me. Try it, it's healthy. ;)

In a resort somewhere

Edited
4 Years Ago by paulc
aok
aok
Pro

:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

paulc - 19 Feb 2020 9:20 AM

LOL nothing here I hadn't said or implied before. Sometimes I take my orange tinted glasses off to ensure reality was not escaping me. Try it, it's healthy. ;)

I'll back paulc on this one - not his opinion of course - but he has been moving with team progress over the season so far.

Small steps; but when he has proof of some sort of improvement he has commented on it.

I am happy to see the progress in his considered opinion (not just rants) and maybe one day, this season or the next, we will all have a similar opinion of our team.

Remember - paulc did give us that concrete chance of getting to 4th place this season!

We could win the whole thing, but if we did it playing the way we are he would still not be happy with the way the team plays. Understandable from someone who demands quality and entertainment in his football rather than just seeing the improvements as a victory in themselves.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

paulc
paulc
Legend

Roar in me Blood - 19 Feb 2020 10:23 AM

I'll back paulc on this one - not his opinion of course - but he has been moving with team progress over the season so far.

Small steps; but when he has proof of some sort of improvement he has commented on it.

I am happy to see the progress in his considered opinion (not just rants) and maybe one day, this season or the next, we will all have a similar opinion of our team.

Remember - paulc did give us that concrete chance of getting to 4th place this season!

We could win the whole thing, but if we did it playing the way we are he would still not be happy with the way the team plays. Understandable from someone who demands quality and entertainment in his football rather than just seeing the improvements as a victory in themselves.

You've been taking notice, thank you. However 'concrete chance' is not the 1% I predicted, but I get it (lol)

In a resort somewhere

Edited
4 Years Ago by paulc
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

paulc - 19 Feb 2020 10:28 AM

You've been taking notice, thank you. However 'concrete chance' is not the 1% I predicted, but I get it (lol)

it was 0.1% and on the back of maybe possibly and one other definitive term ;) Concrete!

paulc
paulc
Legend

Roar in me Blood - 19 Feb 2020 11:30 AM
paulc - 19 Feb 2020 10:28 AM

it was 0.1% and on the back of maybe possibly and one other definitive term ;) Concrete!

Thanks for the accuracy. Didn't realize I rated their chances that high :P

In a resort somewhere

Edited
4 Years Ago by paulc
aok
aok
Pro

paulc - 19 Feb 2020 11:34 AM
Roar in me Blood - 19 Feb 2020 11:30 AM

Thanks for the accuracy. Didn't realize I rated their chances that high :P

Now that you're 100% convinced that the all silverware will be Brisbane bound this year, you could take a shot at leading the den in their chanting.  
paulc
paulc
Legend

aok - 19 Feb 2020 12:24 PM
paulc - 19 Feb 2020 11:34 AM

Now that you're 100% convinced that the all silverware will be Brisbane bound this year, you could take a shot at leading the den in their chanting.  

I think Fowler wants the Den to sing 'God save the Queen'. I remember the words from my younger years singing it at school every Monday morning assembly, so it is possible.

In a resort somewhere

aok
aok
Pro

paulc - 19 Feb 2020 12:52 PM
aok - 19 Feb 2020 12:24 PM

I think Fowler wants the Den to sing 'God save the Queen'. I remember the words from my younger years singing it at school every Monday morning assembly, so it is possible.

You're lucky, we used to have to sing it every morning assembly. 

Now that you're the new den leader maybe get them to sing a chorus of Rule Britannia every now and again.
Waz
Waz
Legend

I’m not sure you need to “back” paulc on this one, my observation was merely a shift in his postings from almost entirely negative to a balanced view. 

I still can’t pick where this team will finish which could be anywhere from 2nd to 7th at the moment, and for all the good things that this last 8 games has brought there’s still much to improve. 

I don’t believe much more will improve without three signings though - but just imagine Broich and Berisha in their early days in this side. 

One thing i am convinced of now is Fowler and Grant can coach and I think these two will go on and form a very successful coaching team in the future. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if we lost them in the winter to a championship side in England 

paulc
paulc
Legend

aok - 19 Feb 2020 1:03 PM
paulc - 19 Feb 2020 12:52 PM

You're lucky, we used to have to sing it every morning assembly. 

Now that you're the new den leader maybe get them to sing a chorus of Rule Britannia every now and again.

As long as I don't have to take my shirt off and wave the union jack. I will insist on trumpet back-up though. Sounds so good during England games.

In a resort somewhere

paulc
paulc
Legend

Waz - 19 Feb 2020 1:10 PM

I’m not sure you need to “back” paulc on this one, my observation was merely a shift in his postings from almost entirely negative to a balanced view. 

I still can’t pick where this team will finish which could be anywhere from 2nd to 7th at the moment, and for all the good things that this last 8 games has brought there’s still much to improve. 

I don’t believe much more will improve without three signings though - but just imagine Broich and Berisha in their early days in this side. 

One thing i am convinced of now is Fowler and Grant can coach and I think these two will go on and form a very successful coaching team in the future. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if we lost them in the winter to a championship side in England 

Not quite the correct observation. RIMB has articulated it well.

In a resort somewhere

Edited
4 Years Ago by paulc
Waz
Waz
Legend

paulc - 19 Feb 2020 1:16 PM
aok - 19 Feb 2020 1:03 PM

As long as I don't have to take my shirt off and wave the union jack. I will insist on trumpet back-up though. Sounds so good during England games.

Edited
4 Years Ago by Waz
Waz
Waz
Legend

paulc - 19 Feb 2020 1:22 PM

Not quite the correct observation. RIMB has articulated it well.

Well I’m sticking with my beep beep ... will retract if you appear in The Den this weekend and lead a chorus of “We hate Sydney” 😉

notarobot
notarobot
Rising Star
Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)

This weeks game v Perth will tell us where we are at imo
last week v Western U was perhaps the worst game of the A league so far this year , both teams canceling each other by playing with stacked defences and playing pretty ugly football, the luck was with us as their new Jap messed up a regulation clearance so 1-0 
on another note thank god (pun intended) we didn’t end up with Rudan as some were pumping his tyres as the messiah to Aus football.
bullet dodged 
Waz
Waz
Legend

notarobot - 19 Feb 2020 2:13 PM
This weeks game v Perth will tell us where we are at imo
last week v Western U was perhaps the worst game of the A league so far this year , both teams canceling each other by playing with stacked defences and playing pretty ugly football, the luck was with us as their new Jap messed up a regulation clearance so 1-0 
on another note thank god (pun intended) we didn’t end up with Rudan as some were pumping his tyres as the messiah to Aus football.
bullet dodged 

WU did not play with a stacked defence, Roar did. 

It’s intriguing why WU couldn’t unpick it better than they did, they only really threatened with those angled crosses. 
I’m not sure Perth will tell us much - if we win it will be blamed on their ACL travel (which is a fair point) so maybe it’s City the week after that tells us more? 

Clearly Roar are good enough for a 4th to 6th finish having recently beaten sides occupying 4th and 5th position ... if (if) they beat Glory and City they’ll stake a claim for 2/3 position. 

Personally I’d be happy with two draws in the next two games (taking us to 27 points) followed by two wins (33 points) and one foot in the finals. 

CS
CS
Rising Star
Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)

Somewhat self evidently, this is not the best forum to have a dispassionate discussion on the virtues or otherwise of the current Roar team.
paulc
paulc
Legend

It's a fact that 2 games within a short period of time is mentally and physically demanding. Whilst not going to say this will be the reason if Perth loses, it will be a contributing factor.

I have a really good feel about this game. Roar to win 2- 0 and my singing leading the Den will be imminent (if they win)!

In a resort somewhere

Edited
4 Years Ago by paulc
miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

This is my fear ..I hope they stick it out for at least two seasons. I think they need another season to show they can deliver the finished product  . Next season they should know what sort of players to bring in to up the ante. If they leave this winter and go back to England and fail... people will say "yeah they never won nothing in OZ either". They need at least a top two finish or Finals berth to go forward to bigger clubs .

sportaddict
sportaddict
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Any idea as to when JCP will be back? 
Waz
Waz
Legend

sportaddict - 19 Feb 2020 3:36 PM
Any idea as to when JCP will be back? 

2 weeks to 2 months. They’re being frustratingly coy on his injury. 
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

CS - 19 Feb 2020 3:17 PM
Somewhat self evidently, this is not the best forum to have a dispassionate discussion on the virtues or otherwise of the current Roar team.

Seriously - why would you be on the official Roar thread and not be passionate?

Many still find our football dull and are not happy with the team. From what I can see, most have at least moved Robbie to the useful side of the ledger.

There is constant disagreement on who is worth having in the team, how we should play, how good or poor we are - but most of that is delivered in either a constructive tone, or at least respectful of the fact that most passionate supporters deserve common courtesy and a right to their opinion.

I love that this is not a thread of "Tard" versus "You are" - just genuinely passionate people with such a diverse range of football and life experiences that we see differences on every level with every opinion.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search