The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

Author
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Assuming Fowler doesn't return and Moon does take over as per previous posts...what is Moon like ?
We have heard from Waz that he is highly regarded.
Anyone had personal experience of his coaching ?
Why is he a good choice ? (and yes I have read wikipedia )

Edited
4 Years Ago by miron mercedes
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

miron mercedes - 28 Jun 2020 11:48 AM
Assuming Fowler doesn't return and Moon does take over as per previous posts...what is Moon like ?
We have heard from Waz that he is highly regarded.
Anyone had personal experience of his coaching ?
Why is he a good choice ? (and yes I have read wikipedia )

My input is based upon what people at Lions FC say about him, plus of course the success he had there. 

If there’s a weakness it’s got to be (imo) his lack of international connections so our visa signings may suffer in future. 

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 28 Jun 2020 10:53 AM
Brisbanegossip - 28 Jun 2020 10:16 AM

At least one of our players said coming here to work under the great Robbie Fowler was important - so very interesting question.

All the visa players are contracted for one more year but if RF were to sign with say Birmingham City I’d expect him to be interested in all our visa players, except Holloway. 
Mello-D
Mello-D
Amateur
Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)

Fowler and Grant gone: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/fowler-won-t-return-to-see-out-a-league-season-with-brisbane-roar-20200629-p5576x.html
miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

no surprises there .....Moon ?

Mello-D
Mello-D
Amateur
Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)

miron mercedes - 29 Jun 2020 12:03 PM

no surprises there .....Moon ?

Assistant coach Darren Davies and academy boss Warren Moon will share the coaching duties in the interim, with Fong also declaring the Roar's next permanent manager would be an Australian.

Seems to be shared, but you'd imagine the rest of the season will be a test for Moon and if he passes, he'll get the job permanently next season. 
richv
richv
Super Fan
Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)

Pretty crap for a new coach to make so many multi year signings (especially the imports) then leave.
That makes it really hard for the next coach to stamp his style.
Waz
Waz
Legend

richv - 29 Jun 2020 12:18 PM
Pretty crap for a new coach to make so many multi year signings (especially the imports) then leave.
That makes it really hard for the next coach to stamp his style.

Agreed. Ordinarily I think he would have stayed the course but back home in the middle of COVID-Britain I can’t imagine the missus being that keen on letting him return. 

Pretty hard for the new coaches to continue his and Grants style of play as well. Going to be interesting end to the season - a lot depends upon how the players react to the news. 

richv
richv
Super Fan
Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)

Waz - 29 Jun 2020 12:25 PM

Agreed. Ordinarily I think he would have stayed the course but back home in the middle of COVID-Britain I can’t imagine the missus being that keen on letting him return. 

Pretty hard for the new coaches to continue his and Grants style of play as well. Going to be interesting end to the season - a lot depends upon how the players react to the news. 

Yeh they are extraordinary times that for sure. But there are plenty of others making that sacrifice to leave families behind to see out the season. He's was not on the big bucks for nothing if not making a bit of sacrifice and setting some kind of standard to the team.
Just really disappointing, I guess.
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Robbie has done a bit of an Ange in terms of establishing his credibility.

Taking a poorly performing team and proving that as a coach they are tactically and motivationally capable of turning it round - then heading where the players are better overall to try and prove it at the next level up.

Personally I find it disappointing that he did not come back for the remaining games (including finals) - especially because he was leaving the club - so the extra time with us would not have been all that onerous as as family man. That said, was he given the opportunity to return? It did not sound like it so maybe it is on  the club and not on him.

Thanks Robbie. You did us well and lifted us back to a team we can get behind.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

What a fantastic challenge for the team though. They are fighting Perth for 4th at the restart and Perth have taken some heavy hits.

Davies has not got a good record with us, but Moon has a good record at a lower level (according to people who know).

We showed promise from the start but were slow with results as the players had to get used to the style and each other - having gained that I do not think we will drop back to our earlier results trend.

I would expect the interim coaches not to make any changes this late in the season so the change of coaches may not be such a killer.  The one factor is the layoff period - who knows how random the results might be with everything in the mix.

All guesswork until the first game back - but enough for us to expect we will be in the finals and hope we can hold our form.

As for signing the internationals - before the layoff there seemed to be sufficient external interest in our developing and successful players for us to turn a profit on them if the new coach does not want to keep them.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

Mello-D
Mello-D
Amateur

I reckon Fowler has determined that the team was probably at the highest point they were going to get to, and has thought to himself that this is a perfect opportunity for him to bail while things still look good for him. 
The way he was talking in the media about feeling not valued by the club due to not being able to get a flight etc, makes me think he was trying to spin things back at the club so they would look bad and he would look innocent after he left. 
Waz
Waz
Legend

Mello-D - 29 Jun 2020 1:02 PM
I reckon Fowler has determined that the team was probably at the highest point they were going to get to, and has thought to himself that this is a perfect opportunity for him to bail while things still look good for him. 
The way he was talking in the media about feeling not valued by the club due to not being able to get a flight etc, makes me think he was trying to spin things back at the club so they would look bad and he would look innocent after he left. 

From several accounts of players and coaches they felt they had a good chance of at least reaching the Grand Final. So I think they’d some way to go being the form team of 2020. 

Robbies wife and three kids didn’t join him - if there’s a lesson from this it’s don’t hire a visa coach that doesn’t come with family. It’s hard at the best of time’s but COVID will amplify that. 

Robbie can live in Liverpool and drive daily to any one of 30+ clubs for work, he doesn’t need to be on the other side of the planet. Just a shame it’s a bit of a shaft on players and club at Roar. 

Edited
4 Years Ago by Waz
Waz
Waz
Legend

Club statement sent via email this arvo:

Brisbane Roar Football Club (BRFC) wishes to advise that given the current and ongoing coronavirus situation, Head Coach Robbie Fowler and his assistant Tony Grant will not be returning to the Club.

The former English Premier League striker was appointed Brisbane's Hyundai A-League Head Coach in April 2019 and together with Tony Grant played a critically important role in reviving the Club’s fortunes during the 2019/20 campaign before the competition was paused in March 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Fowler will be remembered for his ability to identify and play young Australian talent and help re-establish the Club's strong foundations, while assembling a competitive and talented squad that currently sits in finals contention ahead of next month's Hyundai A-League 2019/20 season resumption.

The Club would like to take this opportunity to thank Robbie and Tony for their contributions, and we wish them and their families well with their future endeavours.

Deputy Chairman, Chris Fong commented: "Robbie has not only provided stability but a refreshing injection of knowledge and insight into the Roar. We are disappointed that the global pandemic has impacted our plans together but completely understand that family comes first during these difficult times."

Fowler commented: “On behalf of myself and Tony, I would like to thank the Club for the opportunity, and the Brisbane Roar FC fans for the warm welcome and support for me and the team. We are very proud of what we achieved.”

crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

If the club really wanted Fowler to return they would have done everything possible to get him here.
Nothing i have read said he wouldnt come here if ,Roar organised flights.
Whether people think he is a tight arse for not getting here himself is not really the issue.It's whether Roar want to go that extra step to be successful or are happy to look for a cheap option and hope.

Not for the last time here we go again for a rebuild.

Edited
4 Years Ago by crimsoncrusoe
Waz
Waz
Legend

crimsoncrusoe - 29 Jun 2020 1:43 PM
If the club really wanted Fowler to return they would have done everything possible to get him here.
Nothing i have read said he wouldnt come here if ,Roar organised flights.
Whether people think he is a tight arse for not getting here himself is not really the issue.It's whether Roar want to go that extra step to be successful or are happy to look for a cheap option and hope.

Not for the last time here we go again for a rebuild.

I am told he declined to return. That is inconsistent with what’s being said publicly but that’s not unusual in HR situations. 

Either way it’s messy but its over to Warren Moon now who, from memory, doesn’t play a similar style to
Robbie 

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Pity. Although the team was boring, it was effective and at in 3 of its last games it was watchable. Would have been interesting to see how they would of progressed. Hope most of the imports disappear with Fowler now.

In a resort somewhere

Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

The imports (players) have stayed, which is great. I was disappointed with Aldred at the start, as he stood off his man and let some easy goal opportunities be converted. Looking at the season as a whole, I suspect he was unsure of his team mates and stood off to give himself time if those around him faltered. Flawed logic, but understandable. As the season progressed he has been tighter on his man, which has given the whole backline confidence and re-enforced the defensive unit. Hopefully they play a few of the videos from February and March.
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Footballking55 - 29 Jun 2020 4:32 PM
The imports (players) have stayed, which is great. I was disappointed with Aldred at the start, as he stood off his man and let some easy goal opportunities be converted. Looking at the season as a whole, I suspect he was unsure of his team mates and stood off to give himself time if those around him faltered. Flawed logic, but understandable. As the season progressed he has been tighter on his man, which has given the whole backline confidence and re-enforced the defensive unit. Hopefully they play a few of the videos from February and March.

Tighter on his man and this alone is OK? Lol

In a resort somewhere

miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro

paulc - 29 Jun 2020 5:55 PM

Tighter on his man and this alone is OK? Lol

Yeah I sort of agree with you paulc ...I think Aldred did not have much defending going on in front of him in the mifdield in the early games.
That generally leaves an overload of attackers coming at the defence  .
It makes them look like they are not picking players up but it was our mids who were not dropping back with their opposing mids .
I think the last few games our mids had worked it out and this left the backs with better odds in defence. 

As for Robbie ....I thought he would not be back next season anyway ,but had hoped he would have stayed to have a crack at the finals .
I guess he must have had a few solid offers otherwise I think he would have definitely returned to finish the job so he could get some offers .
Shame... but I am ever the optimist ..who knows maybe Moon will turn out to be the next Ange .
If so I hope he sticks around for a few seasons.

clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

What's different? Other than him returning to a safer country than he's currently living in.

People make bigger sacrifices for a lot less money. I'm totally unimpressed. Bet he's had a better offer.

Waz
Waz
Legend

Roar defended with two at the back with Gilesphie pushing forward in that bizarrely titled “overlapping Center Back” which would leave Aldred exposed in quick transition.  
Waz
Waz
Legend

clockwork orange - 29 Jun 2020 6:28 PM

What's different? Other than him returning to a safer country than he's currently living in.

People make bigger sacrifices for a lot less money. I'm totally unimpressed. Bet he's had a better offer.

To fully answer that question you’d need to know Fowler’s personal circumstances, his wife’s stance, the state of his three young kids and a dozen other pertinent questions. 

When his family didn’t join him last year it should have set alarm bells ringing, few people do a two year contract overseas without family unless they have a good reason. 

If he’s got a better offer we’ll soon know - he’s probably done the minimum necessary to get an offer from a lower division UK club but in not finishing the season he’s let everyone down and if he stuffs up in his next job this incomplete season may come back to bite him. 

Edited
4 Years Ago by Waz
Blew.2
Blew.2
Rising Star
Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)

Waz - 29 Jun 2020 7:28 PM
clockwork orange - 29 Jun 2020 6:28 PM

To fully answer that question you’d need to know Fowler’s personal circumstances, his wife’s stance, the state of his three young kids and a dozen other pertinent questions. 

When his family didn’t join him last year it should have set alarm bells ringing, few people do a two year contract overseas without family unless they have a good reason. 

If he’s got a better offer we’ll soon know - he’s probably done the minimum necessary to get an offer from a lower division UK club but in not finishing the season he’s let everyone down and if he stuffs up in his next job this incomplete season may come back to bite him. 

If he returns 14 day lock down n if a family Members gets sick 14 day lock down back. He is thinking 🤔 right. Stay home Stay safe 

Clear Contact There

richv
richv
Super Fan

So looks like Fowler is pursuing the Birmingham job.
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-manager-odds-fowler-18381560
sirhcdobo
sirhcdobo
Amateur
Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)

Waz - 29 Jun 2020 7:20 PM

Roar defended with two at the back with Gilesphie pushing forward in that bizarrely titled “overlapping Center Back” which would leave Aldred exposed in quick transition.  

also at the beginning of the year our wide defenders really didnt know how to play Mcging and otoole were getting caught in no mans land way way too often which meant that gilesphie and Neville were getting drawn out wide to often leaving aldred exposed. getting Hingert and brown back made the most difference out of anything to how solid our back line played. 
Waz
Waz
Legend

richv - 30 Jun 2020 6:46 AM

Good luck to him. I think he’s let players, fans and club down but that is football. 
Waz
Waz
Legend

I spoke with David Pourre this morning; the logic behind Moon/Davies was explained as Davies knows the senior players, game plan and drills etc; and Moon knows coaching a first team, game day and knows the youth players. 

Interestingly Moon wasn’t “stood down” during the recent crisis, he worked through as normal as head of Academy. 

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Waz - 30 Jun 2020 8:57 AM
richv - 30 Jun 2020 6:46 AM

Good luck to him. I think he’s let players, fans and club down but that is football. 

Interesting train of thought - under the circumstances and ahead you couldn't blame any OS person opting to stay home and consider other options...........
Covid is the card that has forced many changing their minds what was intended pre covid all over the world.
At least he straightened your ship and proved doubters wrong in the short term and left in a good position, thats a positive.
I actually see the squad will miss his "persona" on the sideline and training influence for they did react for him.
Covid is the let down not God.

Love Football

Waz
Waz
Legend

LFC. - 30 Jun 2020 9:13 AM
Waz - 30 Jun 2020 8:57 AM

Interesting train of thought - under the circumstances and ahead you couldn't blame any OS person opting to stay home and consider other options...........
Covid is the card that has forced many changing their minds what was intended pre covid all over the world.
At least he straightened your ship and proved doubters wrong in the short term and left in a good position, thats a positive.
I actually see the squad will miss his "persona" on the sideline and training influence for they did react for him.
Covid is the let down not God.

I don’t hold the situation against him. Add on the reality he is a major business owner back in the UK, property developer etc and he’ll have his hands full. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search