The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

Author
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Roar in me Blood - 3 May 2022 10:36 PM
Most of it was strong play by Adelaide to knock our younger players off the ball, some of it rough play, and bits were just nasty. 

what a shame for Neville to go out that way this season. He is such a good, clean, quality player I felt for him getting sent off.

I've almost come to admire the insane level of orange tint in your lenses
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Davide82 - 4 May 2022 4:17 PM

I've almost come to admire the insane level of orange tint in your lenses

:)

I wasn't actually having a go at the strong play part - we just couldn't match it with you and weren't good enough to avoid it.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Bender Parma - 4 May 2022 3:33 PM

i think some serious consideration needs to be given as towhether or not Brendan Moon is the right person for the job next year (I am undecided). On the one hand he has been great in bringing in the likes of Trewin, Akbari, Hoare, Zaballa and a few others. But he does seem to get a free pass for some of his other bad things he has done.

Against these good things, remember that he took over a top 3 side and turned them into a bottom of the table type of side. He elected not to sign Young and Wenzell Halls, which meant we were short of Goal keepeer who on average earned about 8 or 9 points a year.  Those points would have come in handy this year.  WenzellHalls release may have been correct but when you look at how we have struggled for forwards.  He also didnt get the best out of and released Nobu.  Likewise his 3 import signings of Wada, Lescano and Steinman havent done the job.  Surely he has to shoulder some blame for this.  

One does have to wonder just how low we will fall, if we lose O Shea. Moon hasnt really had any success in signing an import yet, unless you count Danzaki who only lasted a year.  This is an important year.  We need to have a good start and become powerhouses again, to have any chance of getting crowds back up.  I would be interested as to what others think of Moon and whether or not he is the best man for teh job next year.  

I am not knowledgeable enough to comment on Moon's tactics as such - other than to say I think he threw several games away by playing too defensively and conceding goals by doing it.

We also don't know if Moon sought permission for other players but was knocked back on money - I saw or heard something to suggest that recently. May have been a Paramount comment or someone on here referring to a Paramount comment.

If money was limited then hoping Wada would come as a 'proven striker' makes sense and Lescano would have been a bit of blind hope that he could rise above his highlights reel.

Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

RYO WADA NEVER got a shot as Striker. Played in a coupe off the pine as a Winger. Moon had no idea how to manage him, who to play and what his best formation was.
Lescano was underwhelming and Steinmann was not influential enough. Ivanovic is just as likely to 'hog it' or 'sky it' more often than not.
Demhie is wholehearted but can't get a shot on goal, constantly. He might be better further back in a different role. 
Why did Wada not get a decent shot, in an indecent team?
Edited
2 Years Ago by soccerfoo
sirhcdobo
sirhcdobo
Amateur
Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)

soccerfoo - 4 May 2022 6:08 PM
RYO WADA NEVER got a shot as Striker. Played in a coupe off the pine as a Winger. Moon had no idea how to manage him, who to play and what his best formation was.
Lescano was underwhelming and Steinmann was not influential enough. Ivanovic is just as likely to 'hog it' or 'sky it' more often than not.
Demhie is wholehearted but can't get a shot on goal, constantly. He might be better further back in a different role. 
Why did Wada not get a decent shot, in an indecent team?

aldred, brown and hingerts injuries definitely scuppered the season before it could get going. we had spent the entire preseason playing 5 at the back only to not have players fit enough to play it for 10 or 11 rounds. that really killed the season as we had to develop a 4 at the back system and didnt have the attacking players to play it. 

adams, hore, parsons, lofthouse, ivanovic, dehmie, all show some good qualities but they should be squad and depth players not regular starters. add in lescano, milusenic and wada, that is our entire attacking squad with not one player that is of regular starting quality right now. not one of them would be in the starting 11 of any other team and that is no where near good enough because 3 of them are starting for us each week. It shows 23 shots and 0 goals against ccm and that has been a regular occurrence.

looking to next season, in midfield we need to do everything to keep oshae and obviously steinmann goes with chapman coming in (which will hopefully make it a bit stronger). the amount of chances we create indicates the midfield is probably working ok so the rest of squad doesnt need much changing, possibly daley or akbari go if we can get a good replacement but i would not actively be chasing opportunities or spending big. 

up front, lescano, ivanovic, lofthouse and wada go and we need a 15+goal striker and a good winger/wide attacker. then adams, hore, parsons and melusenic can battle it out for the 3rd spot with the others playing off the bench where they should be. 

at the back i would not be surprised if aldred heads back to england with a new baby his family will need some support so i think there will be pressure on him to move (though i bet they spend most of the off season at home so he may be back).  with brown, hingert, aldred, neville, brindle south we are over weight with old injury prone players with only youth players as back up. we need more players in their prime 27-30 years. brindle south is an easy out but wont free up much cash so probably one or more of hingert, neville brown and aldred will be in the fireing line and we will need quality replacements. 
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 4 May 2022 5:46 PM
Davide82 - 4 May 2022 4:17 PM

:)

I wasn't actually having a go at the strong play part - we just couldn't match it with you and weren't good enough to avoid it.

Ha ha yeah I'm just having fun :)
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

sirhcdobo - 5 May 2022 9:31 AM
soccerfoo - 4 May 2022 6:08 PM

aldred, brown and hingerts injuries definitely scuppered the season before it could get going. we had spent the entire preseason playing 5 at the back only to not have players fit enough to play it for 10 or 11 rounds. that really killed the season as we had to develop a 4 at the back system and didnt have the attacking players to play it. 

adams, hore, parsons, lofthouse, ivanovic, dehmie, all show some good qualities but they should be squad and depth players not regular starters. add in lescano, milusenic and wada, that is our entire attacking squad with not one player that is of regular starting quality right now. not one of them would be in the starting 11 of any other team and that is no where near good enough because 3 of them are starting for us each week. It shows 23 shots and 0 goals against ccm and that has been a regular occurrence.

looking to next season, in midfield we need to do everything to keep oshae and obviously steinmann goes with chapman coming in (which will hopefully make it a bit stronger). the amount of chances we create indicates the midfield is probably working ok so the rest of squad doesnt need much changing, possibly daley or akbari go if we can get a good replacement but i would not actively be chasing opportunities or spending big. 

up front, lescano, ivanovic, lofthouse and wada go and we need a 15+goal striker and a good winger/wide attacker. then adams, hore, parsons and melusenic can battle it out for the 3rd spot with the others playing off the bench where they should be. 

at the back i would not be surprised if aldred heads back to england with a new baby his family will need some support so i think there will be pressure on him to move (though i bet they spend most of the off season at home so he may be back).  with brown, hingert, aldred, neville, brindle south we are over weight with old injury prone players with only youth players as back up. we need more players in their prime 27-30 years. brindle south is an easy out but wont free up much cash so probably one or more of hingert, neville brown and aldred will be in the fireing line and we will need quality replacements. 

I think Adams can start. He is not yet enough to be a top notch starter, but he is good enough to be getting a lot of game time to develop more. He is at a point where he is better than a bench player but not yet up to a full return for his opportunity. Maybe that is the definition of a good bench player now I think on it.

I would also be happy with Ivanovic in the starting lineup. He needs others round him to help draw off some pressure because he does get stifled when he is alone up front - but the 15 goal striker would cover that like DWH alongside Maclaren.

Adams, Ivanovic, quality striker, O'Shea, quality DM, Brown, Trewin, Aldred, Neville, Hingert would have been a great lineup this season for me.

Neville has been one of our best players all season. I would not be thinking about him leaving.

sirhcdobo
sirhcdobo
Amateur
Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 5 May 2022 11:02 AM
sirhcdobo - 5 May 2022 9:31 AM

I think Adams can start. He is not yet enough to be a top notch starter, but he is good enough to be getting a lot of game time to develop more. He is at a point where he is better than a bench player but not yet up to a full return for his opportunity. Maybe that is the definition of a good bench player now I think on it.

I would also be happy with Ivanovic in the starting lineup. He needs others round him to help draw off some pressure because he does get stifled when he is alone up front - but the 15 goal striker would cover that like DWH alongside Maclaren.

Adams, Ivanovic, quality striker, O'Shea, quality DM, Brown, Trewin, Aldred, Neville, Hingert would have been a great lineup this season for me.

Neville has been one of our best players all season. I would not be thinking about him leaving.

i am a hard disagree with ivanovic at the moment. nothing i have seen this season has shown that he is a starting quality striker (though he is 21 so has potential). his touch is heavy, he hasnt been able to consistently beat a player, hes not fast. he has averaged 1.7 shots a game which is terrible for a striker (particularly when we create so many chances) and has averaged less than 1 shot on target a game. he is not a starter by any stretch of the imagination

Mello-D
Mello-D
Amateur
Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)

I suppose the conversation around who should stay and who should go depends on whether we want to challenge for a title, or just challenge to make finals. 
I certainly think a number of the younger players identified this season are great as bench options, but really not sure I'd have any of them starting (at least not until they showed consistent outstanding performances off the bench). 

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

sirhcdobo - 5 May 2022 12:23 PM
Roar in me Blood - 5 May 2022 11:02 AM

i am a hard disagree with ivanovic at the moment. nothing i have seen this season has shown that he is a starting quality striker (though he is 21 so has potential). his touch is heavy, he hasnt been able to consistently beat a player, hes not fast. he has averaged 1.7 shots a game which is terrible for a striker (particularly when we create so many chances) and has averaged less than 1 shot on target a game. he is not a starter by any stretch of the imagination

I am surprised by both the stats and the thought that he is not fast.

With the ball at his feet he has not dominated with goals, but without the ball his closing speed is quite unexpected and very effective. I see him as a bit of a Besart without the great goal scoring ability.

My idea is obviously skewed when I sound it out :). I am basically so impressed by the turnovers he creates and pressure he successfully brings to bear that I have lost sight of his actual goal scoring stats. He does create 'something' in the game up front when he plays and the last thing he is is boring when we compare him to our often static attackers just waiting for something to happen. I do still rate him but acknowledge that I may be biased subconsciously by comparisons with Lescano on both the chasing and lively side.

I do think having him as a solo striker is pointless because he can be shut down by numbers too easily - but I do not recall many games where he had a strong supporting partner up front to split the defenders between them. Maybe a few early in the year. I also am not sure we ever got to see him back fully effective after covid and his injury early on. Not looking at excuses - just trying to remember how he went throughout the season.

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

Mello-D - 5 May 2022 1:04 PM
I suppose the conversation around who should stay and who should go depends on whether we want to challenge for a title, or just challenge to make finals. 
I certainly think a number of the younger players identified this season are great as bench options, but really not sure I'd have any of them starting (at least not until they showed consistent outstanding performances off the bench). 

It may not be a surprise but I expect us to challenge for the title every year throughout pre-season :)

What happens after that I take game by game.

My unexpected view - we can be a title winning team with a quality striker and a good DM added to our fully fit and available line-up. Depth of skill in our squad is where we will struggle since we don't currently have game changing strike weapons coming off the bench and the best of them would be in the starting team.

I cannot get past the thought that just putting one of our many chances away in games this season would have made all the difference - unfortunately the same as it would have last season.

Two significant recruits and we are comfortably finals capable. Bolster our bench as well and we can carry a title challenge.

sirhcdobo
sirhcdobo
Amateur

Roar in me Blood - 5 May 2022 6:43 PM
sirhcdobo - 5 May 2022 12:23 PM

I am surprised by both the stats and the thought that he is not fast.

With the ball at his feet he has not dominated with goals, but without the ball his closing speed is quite unexpected and very effective. I see him as a bit of a Besart without the great goal scoring ability.

My idea is obviously skewed when I sound it out :). I am basically so impressed by the turnovers he creates and pressure he successfully brings to bear that I have lost sight of his actual goal scoring stats. He does create 'something' in the game up front when he plays and the last thing he is is boring when we compare him to our often static attackers just waiting for something to happen. I do still rate him but acknowledge that I may be biased subconsciously by comparisons with Lescano on both the chasing and lively side.

I do think having him as a solo striker is pointless because he can be shut down by numbers too easily - but I do not recall many games where he had a strong supporting partner up front to split the defenders between them. Maybe a few early in the year. I also am not sure we ever got to see him back fully effective after covid and his injury early on. Not looking at excuses - just trying to remember how he went throughout the season.

the problem with that is that we dont play with 2 strikers so you end up playing him in a wide player which takes away from his strengths. also unlike besart, ivanovic is not strong enough to hassle defenders off the ball or to break a line with strength. yes he may create some problems with his closing speed but he wont then push a defender off, he has to wait for a miss-touch and then the defender can recover by simply being stronger. 
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

sirhcdobo - 6 May 2022 9:18 AM
Roar in me Blood - 5 May 2022 6:43 PM

the problem with that is that we dont play with 2 strikers so you end up playing him in a wide player which takes away from his strengths. also unlike besart, ivanovic is not strong enough to hassle defenders off the ball or to break a line with strength. yes he may create some problems with his closing speed but he wont then push a defender off, he has to wait for a miss-touch and then the defender can recover by simply being stronger. 

Yeah - I tend to see players rather than positions and formations so if I 'like' what I see I imagine it can work without it being a proper structure. I did picture playing with two up front rather than a single central striker and rotating through the centre somewhat in a 4-2-2-2 sort of formation but I don't know if that can work.

[Edit: Actually a 4-4-2 with the midfield in a diamond and two strikers is more what I had in my head]

Ivanovic does rely on surprise to nick the ball off a defender and that can only work so many times before they are alert to it.

So Ivanovic maybe on the bench in my team now with our new quality striker in.

Edited
2 Years Ago by Roar in me Blood
invicta
invicta
Weekender
Weekender (46 reputation)Weekender (46 reputation)Weekender (46 reputation)Weekender (46 reputation)Weekender (46 reputation)Weekender (46 reputation)Weekender (46 reputation)Weekender (46 reputation)Weekender (46 reputation)Weekender (46 reputation)Weekender (46 reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 6 May 2022 10:13 AM
sirhcdobo - 6 May 2022 9:18 AM

Yeah - I tend to see players rather than positions and formations so if I 'like' what I see I imagine it can work without it being a proper structure. I did picture playing with two up front rather than a single central striker and rotating through the centre somewhat in a 4-2-2-2 sort of formation but I don't know if that can work.

[Edit: Actually a 4-4-2 with the midfield in a diamond and two strikers is more what I had in my head]

Ivanovic does rely on surprise to nick the ball off a defender and that can only work so many times before they are alert to it.

So Ivanovic maybe on the bench in my team now with our new quality striker in.
CDM is going to be Chapman next year. Hopefully he can be solid in front of the back 4. For all the plaudits that J O'Shea gets, he is often found wanting in defence (especially tracking players). CCM second goal was one where neither he nor Daley went with their man. 

My disappointments have been:
Daley : he is simply not good enough at A league level. He certainly is poor in attack. Creates little, rarely passes forward, has never scored. 
Lofthouse: a lot of hype but relatively little actual danger. Compared to young players at Adelaide or CCM (Kuel), he is average. 
Akbari: he lacks the attacking aspect of his game. Forward passes, goals, dangerous runs. Always looks to O'Shea to create. 
Lack an attacking RB -- Hingert has had his time in my opinion. 

Coaching:
Despite numerous "chances", they are rarely clear cut chances. I don;t know about the xG but we don't seem to open teams up consistently enough. 
Would another creative player change that ?

Set-pieces:
Our set pieces are poor both in attack and defence. The loss of gillesphy has been a problem here. Defenders like Trewin aren't good in the air. I thought O'shea would provide better delivery. Lack Brown as a left foot option. Set-pieces are really an assistant coaches role. We rarely look like scoring from them and often vulnerable to the second ball. 

O shea
I still don't know his best position and nor does Moon. He should be a 10 in my opinion to create stuff in the final third and leave defending to others.

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

invicta - 6 May 2022 1:00 PM
Roar in me Blood - 6 May 2022 10:13 AM
CDM is going to be Chapman next year. Hopefully he can be solid in front of the back 4. For all the plaudits that J O'Shea gets, he is often found wanting in defence (especially tracking players). CCM second goal was one where neither he nor Daley went with their man. 

My disappointments have been:
Daley : he is simply not good enough at A league level. He certainly is poor in attack. Creates little, rarely passes forward, has never scored. 
Lofthouse: a lot of hype but relatively little actual danger. Compared to young players at Adelaide or CCM (Kuel), he is average. 
Akbari: he lacks the attacking aspect of his game. Forward passes, goals, dangerous runs. Always looks to O'Shea to create. 
Lack an attacking RB -- Hingert has had his time in my opinion. 

Coaching:
Despite numerous "chances", they are rarely clear cut chances. I don;t know about the xG but we don't seem to open teams up consistently enough. 
Would another creative player change that ?

Set-pieces:
Our set pieces are poor both in attack and defence. The loss of gillesphy has been a problem here. Defenders like Trewin aren't good in the air. I thought O'shea would provide better delivery. Lack Brown as a left foot option. Set-pieces are really an assistant coaches role. We rarely look like scoring from them and often vulnerable to the second ball. 

O shea
I still don't know his best position and nor does Moon. He should be a 10 in my opinion to create stuff in the final third and leave defending to others.

Daley for me has always been a better defensive option playing DM than he is in an attacking sense. From how we have seen him, he looks for safety rather than opportunity in his passing but defends his hearth and home with his life. Much better at breaking apart an incoming attack but limited in how he brings the ball forward.

Akbari is better in an attacking sense but where he started the season using his body much more to challenge for, and protect the ball, that dropped away quickly and his attacking qualities became more hit and miss as the season progressed. He had a few games throughout where he very effective for us but not consistently from one game to the next.

I think that Moon knows O'Shea is best in the final third - but he has been rearranging deckchairs due to injuries and the like since season start - so perhaps a bit similar to Aloisi his plans for the side fell apart with absent players early and never recovered.

For our attacking capability, there have certainly been games where I did not think we showed any sign of breaking through the opposing defence. Some of those I classed as aberrations and others where we played poorly or were following poor instructions. Those aside though, I felt we had plenty of chances to score and do not really need more creative players as such - just someone who can clinically finish something consistently. I would not reject more creative players of quality coming in though. When we just have O'Shea he gets swarmed and only his skill and vision lets him get the passes away that he can - and notably less often as the season progressed.

Mello-D
Mello-D
Amateur
Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)

Anyone heard anything about Moreton Daily stadium ongoing? 
Likely reading too much into it, but club just posted on Twitter for tomorrow's game "Our final fixture, our home farewell, and our last chance this season to upset the Smurfs", 
Wonder what home farewell means? 
Mr B
Mr B
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Mello-D - 9 May 2022 8:38 AM
Likely reading too much into it, but club just posted on Twitter for tomorrow's game "Our final fixture, our home farewell, and our last chance this season to upset the Smurfs", 

Kind of miss Suncorp anyway, yes it feels empty but at least it is high standard, it feels great as soon as you walk in, minus the atmosphere due to low crowds, not like the Redcliffe crowds brought that much atmosphere anyway, but the ladder position didn't help. 

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

Mello-D - 9 May 2022 8:38 AM

I think you might be too hopeful.

Home farewell to the team for the season may be all.

We have the playoff for the Australia Cup away so this will be the last of the team at home but not the last game as such.

Can always hope though...

Jimo8
Jimo8
Rising Star
Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)

For me it seems Moon can’t decide on who should play where. This is the coach’s dilemma sometimes, but I feel he still is not settled on it. 
Some players have played in so many positions, they are likely unsure where they are best.

However, maybe we as observers can make and agree on some ideas. The back line players are pretty much set.

Lescano, Steinman and probably Wada all have failed to impress me.
So whoever is deciding on these types of players needs to be better informed.
Oshea has to play 10 role unless we have someone better and we don’t.
Daley is a 6. 
I’d keep Ivanovic, Adams, Parsons, Hore. 

And if we are going to spend money then we need to be 100% sure that player is going to perform. 

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

Jimo8 - 9 May 2022 10:24 AM
For me it seems Moon can’t decide on who should play where. This is the coach’s dilemma sometimes, but I feel he still is not settled on it. 
Some players have played in so many positions, they are likely unsure where they are best.

However, maybe we as observers can make and agree on some ideas. The back line players are pretty much set.

Lescano, Steinman and probably Wada all have failed to impress me.
So whoever is deciding on these types of players needs to be better informed.
Oshea has to play 10 role unless we have someone better and we don’t.
Daley is a 6. 
I’d keep Ivanovic, Adams, Parsons, Hore. 

And if we are going to spend money then we need to be 100% sure that player is going to perform. 

I agree with all that, but noting that Daley is a defensive 6 rather than a creative 6. His passing is limited going forward even though his commitment and enthusiasm are there.

I also agree with your final sentence. It may be a big 'if' in the first place if we are going to spend money. Proven striker has such a lovely ring to it. Hope we don't go for Bobo now that he has announced his retirement.

Jimo8
Jimo8
Rising Star
Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)

I don’t think Bobo would be anywhere near what we need.
Popovic is getting reward from D’aggers.
pity we don’t still have him.

Popa seemed to have nailed his players positions down quickly....and with success.
they know where they will play if they get selected, I don’t think too many Roar players know that.

Jimo8
Jimo8
Rising Star

Agree on Daley, def 6
Jimo8
Jimo8
Rising Star

Jimo8 - 9 May 2022 12:06 PM
Agree on Daley, def 6

Defensive 6
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 9 May 2022 10:34 AM

I agree with all that, but noting that Daley is a defensive 6 rather than a creative 6. His passing is limited going forward even though his commitment and enthusiasm are there.

I also agree with your final sentence. It may be a big 'if' in the first place if we are going to spend money. Proven striker has such a lovely ring to it. Hope we don't go for Bobo now that he has announced his retirement.

It really is the missing piece. If you look at the stats, if Roar had converted just 8 more goals for the entire season they could be in 6th and playing finals football. As an example, if Roar had Jason Cummings, I have no doubt they would be a top 4 side this season. 
sirhcdobo
sirhcdobo
Amateur

Striker is such a hard spot to fill as the cost of a decent proven striker is out of this world, and money ball foreign strikers are hit and miss (with it being miss more than not for us). 

I think moon will be scouting for a foreign striker but i think it will be 50-50 whether we get another bes or lescano. we really lack experience up front and a foreign striker coming in doesnt really help that as even experienced foreign players take can take a while to settle into the aleague. this wont be helped when playing with the likes of hore, adams, parsons, daley, and akbari (even melusenic) who really wont help a new player settle in. there is another option ( that is still risky given their injury history) that i think has a higher chance of working out. i would target brattan, barbaruses and rojas. 

a midfield of brattan, chapman and oshea is strong defensively and hugely creative, feeding rojas and barbaruses who can take the focus off of a developing striker, score goals themselves but still create chances for others to finish. the vast experience in the aleague means you can carry the likes of Ivanovic, or parsons or dehmie up front. cheaping out on the striker (who would be over charging) for wingers who should be relatively cheaper. you can also then bring on hore and adams where they probably should be off the bench. 

Edited
2 Years Ago by sirhcdobo
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

sirhcdobo - 9 May 2022 12:20 PM

Striker is such a hard spot to fill as the cost of a decent proven striker is out of this world, and money ball foreign strikers are hit and miss (with it being miss more than not for us). 

I think moon will be scouting for a foreign striker but i think it will be 50-50 whether we get another bes or lescano. we really lack experience up front and a foreign striker coming in doesnt really help that as even experienced foreign players take can take a while to settle into the aleague. this wont be helped when playing with the likes of hore, adams, parsons, daley, and akbari (even melusenic) who really wont help a new player settle in. there is another option ( that is still risky given their injury history) that i think has a higher chance of working out. i would target brattan, barbaruses and rojas. 

a midfield of brattan, chapman and oshea is strong defensively and hugely creative, feeding rojas and barbaruses who can take the focus off of a developing striker, score goals themselves but still create chances for others to finish. the vast experience in the aleague means you can carry the likes of Ivanovic, or parsons or dehmie up front. cheaping out on the striker (who would be over charging) for wingers who should be relatively cheaper. you can also then bring on hore and adams where they probably should be off the bench. 

I reckon Rojas would be difficult to get. He's on marquee money at the moment and performing well so wouldn't be cheap. If he can remain on good money at MV next season it would take a lot for another AL club to convince him to switch.
Interesting to see if Brattan moves though. His price would be reduced due to the injury and lack of football so he's probably going to have a few offers on the table.  I'd say he probably has a bit of a soft spot for Roar and may like the idea of returning.
Barbarouses would definitely be taking a pay cut if he remains at SFC. He's been a bit unimpressive this season, but a good pre-season should get him back to good form. 
charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

someguyjc - 9 May 2022 1:22 PM

I reckon Rojas would be difficult to get. He's on marquee money at the moment and performing well so wouldn't be cheap. If he can remain on good money at MV next season it would take a lot for another AL club to convince him to switch.
Interesting to see if Brattan moves though. His price would be reduced due to the injury and lack of football so he's probably going to have a few offers on the table.  I'd say he probably has a bit of a soft spot for Roar and may like the idea of returning.
Barbarouses would definitely be taking a pay cut if he remains at SFC. He's been a bit unimpressive this season, but a good pre-season should get him back to good form. 

Age had taken the edge off Kosta's pace and that's pretty much history game. 
sirhcdobo
sirhcdobo
Amateur

someguyjc - 9 May 2022 1:22 PM

yeah rojas would always be a stretch, but there are other options that could make it work. Melusenic is one (though i would prefer to have someone better as i think he is very wasteful) tommy oar is off contract, Ikon is out of favour at melbourne. 

apparently we were close to signing brattan (i cant remeber if it was this season or last) when he wanted to move back while his sister was undergoing treatment for cancer. 

Jimo8
Jimo8
Rising Star

I’d go for Brattan, but not Barbarouses, he’s done I think,
Sydney has done poorly this season Despite all the quality players they have.
could be a pick up there.
but our main problem has been reliable striker and has been for some years.

Should we get a real decent striker you might see Ivanovic, Hore, Mileusnic  perform with more success and attract the likes of Brattan etc but that striker should be no 1 target, and they should be “hunting” that down now!

micdry8
micdry8
Under 7s
Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)

For me
Keep
Holmes, Brown, Aldred, Trewin, Neville, Zabala, Chapman, O'Shea, Adams, Mileusnic, Parsons, Hore, Ivanovic, Dehmie. 

50/50
Freke, Brindell-South, Daley, Hingert

Sel/Release
Steinmann, Olsen, Lofthouse, Lescano.

Interested to hear any thoughts. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search