Official Wellington Phoenix Supporters Thread

Official Wellington Phoenix Supporters Thread

Author
Bullion
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
phoenix22 wrote:
Everton FC wrote:
Assuming Terry goes, we potential have 6 more spots to fill in our roster including 2 under 20s. Thoughts?

If Ricki had an eye for local talent he'd get Sean Lovemore in there, and I know it's flogging a dead horse but Clapham too

Lovemore was poor at the u20 WC and has been training with the 'Nix for a lot of the last two seasons. Ricki knows a bit about him, Clapham wasn't even player of the last season in the ASB premiership, he needs to stand out by some margin on a consistent basis however I do think he would have been more useful than Toto last season.

Tim Payne would be a good player to sign if his trial with Blackburn doesn't work out. Chettleburgh I assume is still training/trialling but buzz about him has cooled down. Bran is still in the mix, not sure about Thurtell. I would imagine we sign at most 21 players but expect the minimum before registration closes, so that means 2 youth (Bran as CB cover, and then Payne/Chettleburgh/Thurtell) and a gun striker. If we sign 21, could be an extra youth player or if we get some $ a better CB than Sigmund.
phoenix22
phoenix22
Amateur
Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)

KiwiChick1 wrote:

Chettleburgh? What's the opinion on him?

well if some of his predecessors from western suburbs (Dan Keat, Craig Henderson) are anything to go by he's worth a try. It amazes me Ricki has'nt given Dan Keat a chance with the all whites he's always been an excellent midfielder and he's been drafted by LA Galaxy.
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Would love to have Payne in the team if the trial goes badly. As I asked earlier in the thread, what about Musa? I think he'd be worth having, especially if we don't get Bran as a cover.
phoenix22
phoenix22
Amateur
Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)

Bullion wrote:

Lovemore was poor at the u20 WC and has been training with the 'Nix for a lot of the last two seasons. .
but Ricki's only given him one chance on the pitch that was against Sydney and he looked pretty good then, very quick and skillful
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

phoenix22 wrote:
KiwiChick1 wrote:

well if some of his predecessors from western suburbs (Dan Keat, Craig Henderson) are anything to go by he's worth a try. It amazes me Ricki has'nt given Dan Keat a chance with the all whites he's always been an excellent midfielder and he's been drafted by LA Galaxy.

Maybe he'll be in future plans? He's still young, and if he's good enough for MLS, then he's good enough for us.
Bullion
Bullion
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

phoenix22 wrote:
KiwiChick1 wrote:

IIRC Dan was originally called into the All Whites squad when in Mexico but due to injury didn't play.
paullt
paullt
Under 7s
Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)

phoenix22 wrote:
KiwiChick1 wrote:
Bullion wrote:
KiwiChick1 wrote:
Bullion wrote:
I don't rate Tim. He doesn't offer much when we are in possession, he doesn't provide a passing outlet, just aims to get into the box to get at the end of crosses.

Did you rate him at all in the 09/10 season?

Honestly, I wince every time he scores as I know it will mean he keeps his name on the team sheet. Even in 09/10. I hope that Sanchez is able to produce some good football, links well with our wingers and gives options to our other midfielders.

I see, I'm guessing you weren't too disappointed he missed the World Cup then.
To be honest, at his best I rate him higher than Lia, but I could definitely go for someone with a little more flair in that role. I'm hoping he'll be back to his best though, since even when he's playing badly Ricki won't drop him.

I know, Tim Brown is a good finisher he's often in the right place at the right time in the box but he's frustrating to watch because he has a distinctive habit in midfield where he just stands there and watches a loose ball when it's there to be recuperated by him, I mean he's the closest phoenix player to the loose ball and he just stands there and looks at it, it was actually a blessing he was'nt available for the all whites in the world cup because he's not really an international quality midfielder, it's something that shows up badly when you're watching the games live, he goes to sleep.

im with you on this, Tim Brown...absentee midfielder. Is not a great creator of chances. does not hold the ball up and will release at first opportunity, often to rush into the box leaving the midfield empty and slow to track back..if at all. If we can get a half decent midfielder this year it might be time for Ricki to give Tim a back seat
AJohn
AJohn
World Class
World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)

We definitely need another striker. Preferable a Rojas-like guy that has epic pace and can get behind defenders. Paul Ifill is great and I think Pavlovic will have his breakout season this season, and if someone teaches Chris Greenacre the offside rule using salt and pepper shakers he'll be useful as well, but we are lacking pace/other options in case of injury.

As for midfield, hopefully Downey and Sanchez will step up. Lia needs to calm the hell down and not conceed as many fouls as he did, and what the rest of you said about Brown is similar to my thoughts on him. I think Pantelis will fit in well but I don't see him getting many assists.
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

On that note, any speculation over the three experienced overseas strikers?
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

paulbagzFC wrote:
inb4TerryMeltdown

-PB

:o

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

AJohn
AJohn
World Class
World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)

KiwiChick1 wrote:
On that note, any speculation over the three experienced overseas strikers?

Well one has Premier League action, so I'm assuming one of the relegated teams from last seasons strikers. Blackpool FC's Gary Taylor-Fletcher is the first that comes to mind. I don't keep up to date too much with in and out transfers in England so I wouldn't have a decent idea xD
RunningBall
RunningBall
Fan
Fan (54 reputation)Fan (54 reputation)Fan (54 reputation)Fan (54 reputation)Fan (54 reputation)Fan (54 reputation)Fan (54 reputation)Fan (54 reputation)Fan (54 reputation)Fan (54 reputation)Fan (54 reputation)

Please all Kiwis check out the job I posted! :)
Everton FC
Everton FC
Rising Star
Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)

Live Chat With Rob

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/5680587/Live-chat-Rob-Morrison-co-owner-of-the-Wellington-Phoenix

Important points IMO

"Yes he will have the full salary cap and he is looking at a range of options in terms of player signings."

Exhibition games - "The Beckham game was clearly successful, so we will look at that possibility."

"To be clear, over the next two years, we will not play more than one regular season game per season as a "home game" away from Wellington. We understand that the Hyundai A-League plan to expand the league giving us more games per season and if that happens that will give us the flexibility to look at playing more home games away."

"clearly we need to work hard at marketing and part of our budgeting is to give the marketing people wherewithall to expand the marketing coverage."

"Our clear aim is to make sure that the Phoenix is profitable after five years and therefore has the ability to self-generate capital. If we can achieve that then the need for external funding is clearly reduced. Obviously, no promises, as experience tells us these things are never easy, but that's our aim."
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

That all sounds fantastic :D Let's just hope they stay true to their word! I'll read through the rest of it later.
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

I assume the Phoenix shop would be changing location since it's currently in one of Terry's buildings (?) . Are they going to move it?
Everton FC
Everton FC
Rising Star
Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)

KiwiChick1 wrote:
I assume the Phoenix shop would be changing location since it's currently in one of Terry's buildings (?) . Are they going to move it?

I think Rob said Westpac stadium offered them office space, I remember reading something along those lines
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

Everton FC wrote:
KiwiChick1 wrote:

I think Rob said Westpac stadium offered them office space, I remember reading something along those lines

Ahh ok, I'd really like it to be in an easily accesible, public place like it was for the first couple of seasons.
Bullion
Bullion
Semi-Pro

Everton FC wrote:
KiwiChick1 wrote:

Think you are confusing Phoenix offices with the shop (currently both in the same building). I am not sure if a Phoenix shop is that important, it would have to be justified in terms of revenue/advertising it produces. Maybe one of the 7 investors owns some property they don't mind sticking the shop into.
SC03
SC03
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

The shop probably isn't the highest priority right now. More like:

1. Filling the playing roster
2. Strengthening the coaching staff
3. Strengthening the backroom staff
4. Getting a marketing campaign up and running
5. Selling memberships
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

SC03 wrote:
The shop probably isn't the highest priority right now. More like:

1. Filling the playing roster
2. Strengthening the coaching staff
3. Strengthening the backroom staff
4. Getting a marketing campaign up and running
5. Selling memberships

I know, but I was just curious to see if anyone knew anything about it.
Everton FC
Everton FC
Rising Star

A new spring in their step.

The Wellington Phoenix have spent the last six days training with the knowledge their club is safe in the hands of a new consortium of owners.

Phoenix coach Ricki Herbert says he's already seen a boost in spirits in the time since the ownership change.

Herbert says the players are out and about and they're very buoyant.

Herbert says they've also made progress in their bid to have 20 contracted players by the start of the season.

He says they should have three new players on their books by Tuesday.

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/10375525/spring-phoenixs-step/
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

Hopes that's actually true this time about the signings, it's being left too late as is.
Bullion
Bullion
Semi-Pro

People talking to Lucas Pantelis at TW vs Nix game yesterday say he is out for the season with torn ACL.
liverpoolfan2010
liverpoolfan2010
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

KiwiChick1 wrote:
nhub24 wrote:
Apparently there's more sheep in NuuZlnd then people, is that true? :)

Seriously, piss off or say something on topic :)

apparenly there is more sheep in nz then football players :lol:
scouse_roar
scouse_roar
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

You guys have a fan forum on October 6 and the new owner dude, Ricki, and others will be there. Should be a nice opportunity to ask where the club is headed
phoenix22
phoenix22
Amateur

Bullion wrote:
People talking to Lucas Pantelis at TW vs Nix game yesterday say he is out for the season with torn ACL.

players have always lost their speed when they come back after ACL surgury
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

Bullion wrote:

Really :( ?! I'm assuming we're definitely going to be getting an injury cover for him then.

scouse_roar wrote:
You guys have a fan forum on October 6 and the new owner dude, Ricki, and others will be there. Should be a nice opportunity to ask where the club is headed

Do you know any more about this?
Bullion
Bullion
Semi-Pro

KiwiChick1 wrote:
Bullion wrote:

Really :( ?! I'm assuming we're definitely going to be getting an injury cover for him then.

scouse_roar wrote:

Do you know any more about this?

Wellington Phoenix Facebook page wrote:
Wednesday 5 October we will be holding a Members Forum at the Grand on Courtenay Place. This is a chance for members to ask questions direct to new owner Gareth Morgan as well as Ricki Herbert, Andrew Durante and Nathan Greenham about the upcoming Hyundai A-League season. Hosted by the voice of football Jason Pine.
Strictly limited to 100 members.

Details
Where: Garden bar, Level 2, Grand, Courtenay Place
When: Wednesday 5 October
Time: 6pm to 7.30pm
Who: Gareth Morgan, James Brow, Ricki Herbert, Andrew Durante and Nathan Greenham.
What: Question and Answer session hosted by Jason Pine.

This is a 2011/12 Season member event only. To secure your place email phoenix@wellingtonphoenix.com with your membership number or if this is not known, then membership name and address. Foundation Club members will be given priority. Complimentary drink on arrival.

redcup
redcup
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

phoenix22 wrote:
Bullion wrote:

players have always lost their speed when they come back after ACL surgury

Lucas lost his speed years back after he had knee reconstruction.
He knew he wouldn't get a look in at Adelaide and was urged to retire - but you guys seemed willing to pay him & now he's out for the season. Easy money for him hey?

At least now you guys can get a fast, young guy as an injury replacement.
Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Quote:
Stuff's 'The Football Podcast' - Episode 2

Last updated 10:20 20/10/2011

Welcome to episode two of The Football Podcast.

Every week the stuff.co.nz panelists will discuss all things football, from the A-League and Wellington Phoenix, to the NZ national league, English Premier League and Champions League.

This week, host Alex Bell was lucky enough to interview actor James Nesbitt, who is currently filming Sir Peter Jackson's The Hobbit in Wellington.

He talked Manchester United, friendships with Sir Alex Ferguson and Ryan Giggs and his obsession with the game.

Then our team of experts - Radio Sport commentator Jason Pine and Fairfax Media football writer Fred Woodcock - will analyse a first victory for the Phoenix and their upcoming trip to Perth.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/football/5819689/Stuffs-The-Football-Podcast-Episode-2

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search