Official Wellington Phoenix Supporters Thread

Official Wellington Phoenix Supporters Thread

Author
dizzy_red
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
AJohn wrote:
So who gets a red card against the Mariners? I'm going to go ahead and say Andrew Durante this week!

Paston needs to get back between the sticks, I was not overly impressed with Warner.

Herbert's new tactical coach:

Edited by dizzy_red: 31/10/2011 10:55:14 AM
AJohn
AJohn
World Class
World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)

Still not overly impressed with Warner. I've yet to see him make a decent save.

We really need to get back to winning. What are the odds we'll pull an upset against my other club?
Mrmcjewpants
Mrmcjewpants
Pro
Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)

about as much chance as a new zealander learning how to pronounce six
AJohn
AJohn
World Class
World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)

Mrmcjewpants wrote:
about as much chance as a new zealander learning how to pronounce six

Good thing I have a british accent then.
Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Quote:
Phoenix pleased with early ticket sales

11/10/2011 7:40 AM Photosport
By Elliott Smith

Early ticket sales for the Wellington Phoenix' first sojourn to Eden Park are pleasing club CEO Nathan Greenham.

The ticket sales are numbering around 3,000 for next Saturday's match against Adelaide United, after only going on sale last Friday.

Listen to Phoenix player Tony Lochhead speaking to Radio Sport host D'Arcy Waldegrave about facing the Brisbane Roar this weekend.

Greenham says they would like to get a crowd of between 15,000-20,000.

Meanwhile, Greenham says now that a new venue in Christchurch has been commissioned, the club would like to head there soon.

http://www.radiosport.co.nz/SportsNews/spsoc/Detail.aspx?id=208713

Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Quote:
System to blame for lack of locals - Herbert

By Terry Maddaford 5:30 AM Friday Nov 18, 2011

It is not so much a case of "show me the money" but "show me the players" as Ricki Herbert hits back at critics who say he has ignored local players in fashioning his Wellington Phoenix squad. And he puts much of the blame on ASB Premiership coaches.

In Auckland preparing for tomorrow's historic first Hyundai A-League game at Eden Park against Adelaide United, Herbert says he would happily recruit more local talent but only if they can show they are up to the demands of playing at the higher level.

Until then, as will be seen in tomorrow's game, A-League clubs will continue to bolster their rosters with "imports" or marquee players - of which the Phoenix do not have any while Adelaide have Dario Vidosic as their Australian and Sergio van Dijk as their international in that category.

"The path to professional football is not easy," warned Herbert. "Only the very best will make the grade.

"We have to get the process right. I would like nothing more than to give New Zealand players a shot but I have never had one phone call from a coach saying I have such and such a player who might be worth a look," said Herbert.

"To be fair, at the present time we do not have a second team or an academy at the Phoenix but that will come - and reasonably soon.

"Football federation Australia have made it clear they are going to reduce the number of 'imports' in the A-League. I believe it will reduce from five to four next year and then to three which will make the recruitment of New Zealand players vital for the club.

"But to do that we have to do something to improve the standard of New Zealand players in domestic football," said Herbert. "At this stage there are probably more foreign players in ASB Premiership sides than we have at the Phoenix. To be fair, I am wondering where are we going to get these players from.

"Players like Marco Rojas, Shane Smeltz, Kosta Barbarouses, Jeremy Brockie and Glen Moss who have come through a professional club in New Zealand before heading elsewhere. The Phoenix should be inheriting more players like this who are ready to show they are capable of playing at this level but we are not.

"You have to ask what is happening to those players who go off and play in under-17 or under-20 World Cups. Some do keep playing here while others might go off to an American university which is fine but too many just drop through the cracks when there is a real opportunity for those who show they are up to it.

"My advice to these young players is stay where you are, keep playing and show us you are capable of stepping up and when the opportunity to spend time with us arises be ready for it.

"Only when they come into a professional environment and can train every day will we, and they, know if they are good enough," said Herbert. "One or two might, like Rojas and Barbarouses, get a contract."

In the meantime, Herbert's focus is very much on tomorrow's game which he and his players definitely see as a "home" fixture even if it is the furthest they have played from their real home.

"We are all looking forward to it especially coming so soon after the Rugby World Cup final," said Herbert. As a bonus, the team will get to train at Eden Park today. "Usually when we train the day before a game it is at a training ground somewhere else so this will be something different."

On criticism of the tactics employed against runaway leaders Brisbane Roar at Suncorp Stadium, Herbert was quick to defend his players.

"We went there with a game plan against a team who hadn't been beaten in 33 matches and who had beaten Adelaide 7-1 in their previous game at Suncorp. It might not have been pretty in the eyes of the purists but we achieved what we set out to do and got what we wanted.

"It was no different than what happened the previous week when we had 11 scoring opportunities in the first half against Melbourne and didn't convert any. Was anyone knocking Melbourne for defending in the way they did?"

Tomorrow's game will be another test for a team who went into last week's game at the bottom of the table. They clawed their way up a place and know a win in their seventh game of the season would take them above seventh-placed Adelaide and back into the play-off mix.

By Terry Maddaford | Email Terry

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/soccer-football/news/article.cfm?c_id=86&objectid=10766785

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Record crowd causes delays at Eden Park
11/20/2011 6:44 AM

The marketing manager of the Wellington Phoenix says there's only so much you can do when so many people turn up to a game at the last minute.

Walk-up sales at yesterday's on-off match at Auckland's Eden Park caused long lines, ticketing delays, and some people missing kick-off.

The side's marketing manager David Dome says people are told to arrive early, but they leave it to the last minute, which is "a New Zealand thing".

"4000 tickets were sold in the last hour, 20% of the crowd came in after 4pm and we were processing 300 people an hour, there's only so much you can do," says Mr Dome.

He says they loved having 20,000 people at the game - their largest crowd ever for a regular season match.

http://www.radiosport.co.nz/SportsNews/spsoc/Detail.aspx?id=209321

L
L
Super Fan
Super Fan (110 reputation)Super Fan (110 reputation)Super Fan (110 reputation)Super Fan (110 reputation)Super Fan (110 reputation)Super Fan (110 reputation)Super Fan (110 reputation)Super Fan (110 reputation)Super Fan (110 reputation)Super Fan (110 reputation)Super Fan (110 reputation)

David Dome is an idiot. I got to the ground well over an hour before kick-off and it was already obvious there was going to be a problem getting people into the stadium.

Allocating seat numbers at the gate/ticket-office is ridiculous. The best approach is to make all tickets outside the Gold Zone 'general admission' to avoid time-consuming "Can I sit with my friend who already has a ticket?" or "We're a group of 6 and we all want to sit together" on-the-day ticketing issues. It also encourages the walk-up crowd to get to the ground early so they can get a good seat.

David Dome and the CEO of Eden Park have blamed the punters for not pre-purchasing their tickets. These guys should realise they're running a business and it's their job to make it as easy as possible for the punters to spend their money. Don't blame the customers; improve your systems.

I also tried to buy something to eat. Oops! The item I selected wasn't "in the system" so the cashier didn't know what to charge – cue much head-scratching and dicking around. And how about those half-time interviews with the guys from Waitakere Utd? FFS, at least check to see if the microphone is working before-hand!

Sheesh! Didn't these numpties just host a big tournament?
Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Weekly Warm Up: Wellington Phoenix v Brisbane Roar

Wednesday, 7 December 2011 10:32 AM

Wellington Phoenix v Brisbane Roar
Wednesday 14th December, 7.30pm

Get along to Forsyth Barr Stadium in Dunedin for thrilling Hyundai A-League action, as Phoenix take on the champions!

Following their successful jaunt to Adelaide last month, when a massive crowd of over 20,000 turned out to cheer Wellington Phoenix on against Adelaide United, the club are hitting the road again as part of Football Federation Australia's scheme to connect with regional Australia.

While this will be the first ever Hyundai A-League game that the Forsyth Barr Stadium has hosted, Wellington Phoenix played the venue's first football game here – a friendly – in August.

Indeed, the opponents that day, Brisbane Roar, are the same club that the Yellow and Black will be taking on on Wednesday. Then,15,000 fans created plenty of noise on a great occasion. Considering that was just an exhibition game with nothing riding on it, just imagine how good the atmosphere will be on Wednesday with Hyundai A-League points at stake!

And what better reason do you need to get along to this game than the visit of the history-making Brisbane Roar, who recently smashed the 74-year-old record of 35 unbeaten games set by NSW Rugby League club Eastern Suburbs?

The good news for Wellington is that, in their last away game, Roar proved themselves to in fact be beatable, suffering their first defeat in 37 games. Sydney FC opened the scoring after 36 seconds through Dimitri Petratos before Brett Emerton's wicked corner doubled their lead in the 19th minute.

After that, the Sky Blues held on comfortably enough, and Wellington will perhaps use this game as a template for their own tactics. If they can get at Brisbane early, then they can do some damage.

Of course, Wellington have already come away from a match-up with Brisbane unscathed in the Hyundai A-League 2011/12 season. A few weeks ago, they survived a Roar onslaught for 90 minutes to secure an outstanding 1-1 draw at Suncorp Stadium.

Phoenix showed amazing resilience and spirit after going 1-0 down as early as the 11th minute to Besart Berisha's header. An early deficit at the Suncorp can lead to curtains for the visiting side – just ask Adelaide or Perth – but the Yellow and Black hung in there and equalised in fine style on 37 minutes, with Leo Bertos playing a perfect ball to Nick Ward, who drew the keeper and squared for Tim Brown to finish. Then, it was a case of all hands to the pump as the away side defended like crazy!

Check out this fantastic arena and take in some full-blooded Hyundai A-League action on Wednesday night, as Phoenix and Roar go toe-to-toe in what is sure to be a belter of a game.

Secure your ticket today and play your part in helping ensure that Brisbane – so long unbeaten – suffer back-to-back away defeats!

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/Weekly-Warm-Up-Wellington-Phoenix-v-Brisbane-Roar/43342

Bullion
Bullion
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Latest Fever podcast with Gareth Morgan
Everton FC
Everton FC
Rising Star
Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)

:oops:

Edited by Everton FC: 8/12/2011 03:48:18 PM
Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Durante close to extension

12/9/2011 2:44 PM

Hot on the heels of striker Paul Ifill re-signing with the club, Wellington Phoenix captain Andrew Durante appears set to also re-commit to the A-League club.

Durante says they're in negotiations to ink a new deal and says it's heading the right way.

He says talks are happening at the moment about extending the stay and he's expecting progress over the next few weeks.

Durante says he's happy in the capital and being skipper of the club, the Phoenix are in pole position.

http://www.radiosport.co.nz/SportsNews/spsoc/Detail.aspx?id=210713

waggzzz2
waggzzz2
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

please click on the link below to watch my youtube video of the tim brown goal a few weeks ago, it has 125,727 views and we can try add to it! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gxl1xJMxvA
AJohn
AJohn
World Class

waggzzz2 wrote:
please click on the link below to watch my youtube video of the tim brown goal a few weeks ago, it has 125,727 views and we can try add to it! :)

](*,)
aitkenmike
aitkenmike
Amateur
Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)

waggzzz2 wrote:

no.
Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Phoenix chief's resignation 'not linked to Serepisos'

SAM WORTHINGTON Last updated 05:00 10/12/2011

Outgoing Phoenix chief executive Nathan Greenham doesn't think his close association with Terry Serepisos has cost him his job.

Greenham announced his resignation on Thursday after meetings with the club's new owners ended with the conclusion "without any hostility we decided it was time to move on and look for some other opportunities."

Greenham has been at the Phoenix since the club's inception and took over as chief executive when Tony Pignata moved back to Australia for family reasons.

Greenham was former owner Serepisos' right-hand man on The Apprentice but stuck around at the Phoenix when the property developer relinquished control in September.

The new owners Welnix - a nine-man consortium of wealthy Wellington businessmen - have made no bones about the fact they've inherited a financial basketcase.

But Greenham didn't think his ties with Serepisos were the reason for the parting of ways.

"No not at all, to be honest," Greenham said.

"My performance is my performance, it's got nothing to do with previous regimes or new regimes. It's purely based on the fact that there was a negotiation which we just couldn't quite find middle ground. I don't think there was any sort of hangover at all personally. It's not bitter, it's not angry, it's look, we've got a bit of a difference here so let's part ways and do what we think's best."

Welnix have an ambitious five-year plan for the Phoenix.

They want to set up an academy and a feeder team structure and believe with the right business model, the club can break even or potentially turn a profit.

Greenham worked tirelessly to keep the club's head above water as the Serepisos ship was sinking and now won't be around to enjoy the envisaged good times.

Was that a disappointment?

"Yes and no, I sort of see it in a different way, to be honest. I take immense satisfaction in the knowledge that I managed the club through what's probably going to be the toughest transition that it'll ever have, hopefully. I've been at the club four and a half years, I've been part of the massive highs that we've had and part of the troughs that we've experienced as well."

Greenham finishes work on January 20 and said he would stay in Wellington and look for another job in the sporting industry.

"CEO of a football club is a demanding job at the best of times and when you add to the mix three kids under five, the lack of resources and the challenges that the club's had, it's been a tough old time personally and professionally. We got through it."

Ad Feedback - The Dominion Post

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/6118408/Phoenix-chiefs-resignation-not-linked-to-Serepisos

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Phoenix ticket sales are sluggish

12/10/2011 10:36 AM

Ticket sales are sluggish for the Wellington Phoenix's A-League match against Brisbane at the new Dunedin Stadium next week.

The timing couldn't be worse for the Dunedin venue, with game being played on a Wednesday, university students out of town and Christmas just around the corner.

However Dunedin Venues CEO David Davies says they'll make a profit and reach their expected targets of around six thousand.

The Phoenix host the Perth Glory in Wellington this evening.

http://www.radiosport.co.nz/SportsNews/spsoc/Detail.aspx?id=210746

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Pavlovic to get one-match ban

Monday, 12 December 2011 6:45 PM

Wellington Phoenix striker Mirjan Pavlovic has been given a one-match ban following his foul on Steve Pantelidis in the game against Perth Glory on Sunday.

Pavlovic was shown a straight red card by referee Ryan Shepheard for his rash challenge on Pantelidis deep into injury time in Phoenix’s 1-0 win.

The independent Match Review Panel found Pavlovic guilty of serious foul play and proposed a one-match ban. Wellington have until midday Tuesday to either accept or appeal the sanction.

In another incident, Gold Coast United midfielder Jonas Salley was found to have a case to answer for after his foul on Dimitri Petratos in the scoreless draw at Skilled Park.

Gold Coast have until midday Tuesday to contest the decision, with the MRP to review the issue.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/Pavlovic-to-get-onematch-ban/43528

aitkenmike
aitkenmike
Amateur
Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)

Joffa wrote:
Quote:
Pavlovic to get one-match ban

Monday, 12 December 2011 6:45 PM

Wellington Phoenix striker Mirjan Pavlovic has been given a one-match ban following his foul on Steve Pantelidis in the game against Perth Glory on Sunday.

Pavlovic was shown a straight red card by referee Ryan Shepheard for his rash challenge on Pantelidis deep into injury time in Phoenix’s 1-0 win.

The independent Match Review Panel found Pavlovic guilty of serious foul play and proposed a one-match ban. Wellington have until midday Tuesday to either accept or appeal the sanction.

In another incident, Gold Coast United midfielder Jonas Salley was found to have a case to answer for after his foul on Dimitri Petratos in the scoreless draw at Skilled Park.

Gold Coast have until midday Tuesday to contest the decision, with the MRP to review the issue.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/Pavlovic-to-get-onematch-ban/43528

Deserved more.
Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Edited by Joffa: 15/12/2011 06:21:16 PM
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Joff I think you've got the wrong thread with this :lol:
AJohn
AJohn
World Class

Joffa, my signature is too big as it is already. There's no way I'm adding a Mariners one to it as well. I think you're a little bit mistaken this time.
Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Woops! My bad#-o

:-" :-" :-" :-"
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

I still saw it before you deleted it ;)
AJohn
AJohn
World Class

KiwiChick1 wrote:
I still saw it before you deleted it ;)

And I screencapped it for blackmail use =D
FulofGladbach
FulofGladbach
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

3rd favourite A-League team

1.Sydney FC
2.CCM
3.Welly
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Get your own active support name. Bloody Kiwis.
Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Football: Crowd for Phoenix as expected

By Steve Hepburn on Fri, 16 Dec 2011
Football | Stadium | Wellington Phoenix

David Davies Forsyth Barr Stadium boss David Davies says he was satisfied with the crowd that turned up to watch the Phoenix on Wednesday night, and talks have begun to get the All Whites to play at the stadium.

A crowd of 4628 watched the Phoenix defeat the Brisbane Roar 2-0 on Wednesday night, and Davies said the attendance was in line with expectation.

He was disappointed to hear negative comments about the size of the crowd and said it was unrealistic to expect a crowd similar in size to that which went to the pre-season game between the two teams in August. More than 15,000 turned up for that match.

"Those critics who say it was a pretty small crowd are I think being quite disrespectful," Davies said yesterday.

"When we were given this game we knew that it was just before Christmas, there were no students in town and people would not have a lot of money in their pockets. Schools are still in and for a lot that means they will not get home before 10pm.

"We knew beforehand we were not going to be in the ballpark of 15,000. We felt we could achieve 5000 in the building and that is what we have done. We have made a shekel or two out of it. We have not lost money out of it."

He said Dunedin Venues Managament Limited had made a small surplus from the match.

Davies said if the stadium had been offered a game in February or March on a Saturday, he would have been sure of mobilising many more people to attend, and get at least 10,000.

"And after all, the team won 2-0 after being beaten 5-1 in the pre-season match, so they must be happy."

Both teams had been happy with the stadium.

The stadium also hosted the board of New Zealand Football and Davies had opened discussions about hosting an All Whites match.

He said the board had been impressed with the stadium but it was not so simple to get the All Whites into the stadium as the playing calender had yet to be finalised.

The stadium managment was still waiting to hear whether there was a chance to host the Anzac league test next year.

The test was originally scheduled to be played at AMI Stadium but an alternative venue had been sought after the stadium in Christchurch was badly damaged in the February earthquake.

Davies said he had not heard from league officials about the Anzac test and hoped to hear something before Christmas.

He had also made progress in discussions about bringing an NRL game to the stadium and was looking to make an announcement in the new year.

http://www.odt.co.nz/sport/football/191071/football-crowd-phoenix-expected

aitkenmike
aitkenmike
Amateur

cbowden9000 wrote:
The Yellow Fever have been using Yellow Army while you lot were still the 'marinators'.
lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend

aitkenmike wrote:
cbowden9000 wrote:
The Yellow Fever have been using Yellow Army while you lot were still the 'marinators'.

Mariners don't have active support do they ?
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search