Official Wellington Phoenix Supporters Thread

Official Wellington Phoenix Supporters Thread

Author
auskiwi
Hacker
Hacker (495 reputation)Hacker (495 reputation)Hacker (495 reputation)Hacker (495 reputation)Hacker (495 reputation)Hacker (495 reputation)Hacker (495 reputation)Hacker (495 reputation)Hacker (495 reputation)Hacker (495 reputation)Hacker (495 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
aitkenmike wrote:
cbowden9000 wrote:
Get your own active support name. Bloody Kiwis.
The Yellow Fever have been using Yellow Army while you lot were still the 'moronators'.

Fixed
go mvfc
go mvfc
Super Fan
Super Fan (119 reputation)Super Fan (119 reputation)Super Fan (119 reputation)Super Fan (119 reputation)Super Fan (119 reputation)Super Fan (119 reputation)Super Fan (119 reputation)Super Fan (119 reputation)Super Fan (119 reputation)Super Fan (119 reputation)Super Fan (119 reputation)

Why doesn't Wellington compete in the 0FC Champions League? They would surely win it and therefore qualify for the FIFA Club World Cup, which would be an mazing experience for all involved, not to mention the huge financial reward. Sorry if this has been discussed before, which it probably has, but I'm just curious because I feel for Welly. The only competition they will ever win is the A-League, and while the Nix are more than competitive, if I was a player (this is just my opinion no offense) I would much rather sign for a club with the option to play in the Asian Champions League and the Club World Cup. It would be amazing to see Welly in the Club World Cup, and I think they should either be allowed to play in the ACL (unlikely I know) or the OFC Champions League. A few years ago when they formed the idea was brought up I think but what's the situation now? btw very unlucky today bad luck guys!
redcup
redcup
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

go mvfc wrote:
Why doesn't Wellington compete in the 0FC Champions League? They would surely win it and therefore qualify for the FIFA Club World Cup, which would be an mazing experience for all involved, not to mention the huge financial reward. Sorry if this has been discussed before, which it probably has, but I'm just curious because I feel for Welly. The only competition they will ever win is the A-League, and while the Nix are more than competitive, if I was a player (this is just my opinion no offense) I would much rather sign for a club with the option to play in the Asian Champions League and the Club World Cup. It would be amazing to see Welly in the Club World Cup, and I think they should either be allowed to play in the ACL (unlikely I know) or the OFC Champions League. A few years ago when they formed the idea was brought up I think but what's the situation now? btw very unlucky today bad luck guys!

Just off the top of my head I would say that the nix are in an Australian league and therefore an Asian confed, so it would be impossible for them to compete in an Oceania confed comp.
So the CWC is a forlorn hope as the Asian confed won't let them in either.
As long as they're tied to the A-League by the Australian govt mandate to the formation of the FFA I just can't see their predicament changing
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

go mvfc wrote:

Huh. Missed this post.
Why can't we be in the O-League? I don't know, and I've actually never thought about it before. I guess the ASB Prem clubs wouldn't be happy about the Nix taking a New Zealand spot in it, and NZF don't seem to want to be involved in anything to do with the Nix.
As for the ACL, well, depending how we go this season, we could push a case for inclusion. However, until we get in a place that would allow us to qualify if we were any other team, it's all just talk and speculation.
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Phoenix Partnership With TAB Sport A Great Bet For Football

Quote:
Wellington Phoenix FC has secured a new partnership with national sports betting agency TAB Sport that will help assist the club in enhancing its profile throughout New Zealand.

The partnership will see TAB Sport's logo featured on the sleeve of the Phoenix's playing strips and training gear, starting with this Sunday's home match against Melbourne Heart at Westpac Stadium in Wellington.

It will continue the following two Hyundai A-League seasons, with a range of exciting initiatives planned by the club and TAB Sport.

Wellington Phoenix FC Chairman Rob Morrison said the partnership was another strong vote of confidence in the club and would help the Phoenix further strengthen its ambition of growing and developing support for and interest in its brand and football nationwide.

"The club is committed to being a leader in the New Zealand sporting landscape, something that will deliver major benefits for both the club and the game of football in New Zealand in the future.

"We're delighted to have an organisation of the standing and ability of TAB Sport onboard with the club. Both our organisations are passionate about what we do and about the future of the club and the game in this country."

Michael Stiassny, Chairman of the New Zealand Racing Board, the organisation that owns and operates TAB Sport, said the Phoenix had captured the imagination of sports fans throughout the country.

"Our customers love their football. The Football World Cup is always one of our biggest events and the Hyundai A-League and the Phoenix, in particular, is building interest at a phenomenal rate. The club has sport's most passionate fans in the Yellow Fever and a Phoenix home game is an unrivalled entertainment experience. We believe TAB Sport can add even more to that experience.

"But, crucially, we want to be part of the great things that are happening in football nationally and we're looking forward to working with the club to cement the Phoenix's status as a truly premium sports brand."

TAB Sport is already a major supporter of football in New Zealand, with significant annual levies paid to the national governing body based on wagering turnover and profit.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/wellingtonphoenix/news-display/phoenix-partnership-with-tab-sport-a-great-bet-for-football/44662

Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Quote:
Phoenix a safe bet for sports betting firm

23 January 2012 | Posted in Sponsorship, Soccer, Oceania | By Michael Long

A-League side Wellington Phoenix has signed a new sponsorship deal with New Zealand-based sports betting agency TAB Sport.

The partnership will see TAB Sport's logo featured on the sleeve of the Phoenix's playing shirts and training gear for the next two Hyundai A-League seasons.

While financial terms were not disclosed, a deal of this kind is estimated to be worth around US$75,000 per year.

Commenting on the deal, Phoenix chairman Rob Morrison said: "The club is committed to being a leader in the New Zealand sporting landscape, something that will deliver major benefits for both the club and the game of football in New Zealand in the future.”

"We're delighted to have an organisation of the standing and ability of TAB Sport onboard with the club. Both our organisations are passionate about what we do and about the future of the club and the game in this country."

Michael Stiassny, chairman of the New Zealand Racing Board, the organisation that owns and operates TAB Sport, added: "Our customers love their football. The Football World Cup is always one of our biggest events and the Hyundai A-League and the Phoenix, in particular, is building interest at a phenomenal rate.”

“The club has sport's most passionate fans in the Yellow Fever and a Phoenix home game is an unrivalled entertainment experience. We believe TAB Sport can add even more to that experience.”

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/phoenix_a_safe_bet_for_sports_betting_firm/?utm_source=Feeds&utm_campaign=Latest+News&utm_medium=rss

Edited by Joffa: 23/1/2012 11:35:25 PM
AJohn
AJohn
World Class
World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)

Sony and TAB Sports? Excellent!
New_Dawn_Kiwi_Fan
New_Dawn_Kiwi_Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

KiwiChick1 wrote:
go mvfc wrote:

Huh. Missed this post.
Why can't we be in the O-League? I don't know, and I've actually never thought about it before. I guess the ASB Prem clubs wouldn't be happy about the Nix taking a New Zealand spot in it, and NZF don't seem to want to be involved in anything to do with the Nix.
As for the ACL, well, depending how we go this season, we could push a case for inclusion. However, until we get in a place that would allow us to qualify if we were any other team, it's all just talk and speculation.

I've looked up on this and it appears we tried this before with those Asian Football bosses? I'm all for it, but I can't see them supporting us this time. Nothing has changed with us apart from internal club ownership. What will we write on our covering letter to the Asian Football commission to justify our inclusion this time?

Edited by new_dawn_kiwi_fan: 24/1/2012 03:42:08 AM
AJohn
AJohn
World Class
World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)

I've wondered. If the league stays exactly as it is, and the usual Top 2 teams of the season are the two sides in the finals, would Australia lose there 3rd spot in the ACL or would it go to the Heart?
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

AJohn wrote:
I've wondered. If the league stays exactly as it is, and the usual Top 2 teams of the season are the two sides in the finals, would Australia lose there 3rd spot in the ACL or would it go to the Heart?

We'd make a big fuss until we got it. Otherwise yeah, it'd go to the Heart.
FulofGladbach
FulofGladbach
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

GO PHOENIX! Let's get 'em
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

Fulhamkid wrote:

YEEEEEEAH! WOOOOOOOOO!!!
Who are we getting?
AJohn
AJohn
World Class

KiwiChick1 wrote:
Fulhamkid wrote:

YEEEEEEAH! WOOOOOOOOO!!!
Who are we getting?

I don't know, let's just GET EVERYTHING. I CLAIM ROJAS!
FulofGladbach
FulofGladbach
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

AJohn wrote:
KiwiChick1 wrote:
Fulhamkid wrote:

YEEEEEEAH! WOOOOOOOOO!!!
Who are we getting?

I don't know, let's just GET EVERYTHING. I CLAIM ROJAS!

:D Either way, I love Phoenix as underdos and being the only team to have flown over expectations.
Janan_T
Janan_T
Super Fan
Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)

KiwiChick1 wrote:

Huh. Missed this post.

I come to Australia for better life. I love football. I work my brain. My home, Sri Lanka is part of Asian Football. Australia, my new home, is part of Asian Football. New Zealand, for right or wrong, is not part of Asian Football.

I cannot see how team of Phoenix, based in Wellington, New Zealand, can compete in Champions League of Asia. It not make sense.

Do you see how I can come to this point of view?

I speak enough of this team from Wellington. I turn attention to my new team, Adelaide United. I switch radio to SAFM for drive show. I enjoy nice day in my new home, Adelaide, and I focus on my team Adelaide United.

KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

Janan_T wrote:
I come to Australia for better life. I love football. I work my brain. My home, Sri Lanka is part of Asian Football. Australia, my new home, is part of Asian Football. New Zealand, for right or wrong, is not part of Asian Football.

No, we are not part of Asian Football, but there's no doubt we WILL be in the future, and personally I'd like to reach that future as soon as possible.

Janan_T wrote:
I cannot see how team of Phoenix, based in Wellington, New Zealand, can compete in Champions League of Asia. It not make sense.

Yes, I do see how you could come to that point of view, as that's the point of view of many others. HOWEVER, can you try and see things from my point of view for a second? We play in an Australian competition, and we represent only the city we play in, not our country of New Zealand, not the region of Oceania. The A-League, as a league, has been given 2.5 spots (as far as I know) for the Asian Champions League, given to the top two teams, and for whoever the third team is to play off for a place in the competition. Any team can win one of these spots. Expect for us. How is that fair? If my team were to win the league, or even come second or third, have we not earned the right to one of these spots, and the right to compete in the ACL? I feel that should we achieve something like that, we should be treated as any other team would be, and allowed to compete. We're not allowed to compete in the OFC Champions League, through no fault of our own, and we're not allowed to compete in the Asian Champions League, through no fault of our own. There's a lot wrong with that, and it needs to be changed.

Clearly if we won the league and pushed for an ACL spot, it's not something that could work immediately, for a start, with all of our New Zealand players, we'd be well over the limit for foreigners, and we can't exactly ask if the AFC would pretty please count Kiwis as local players for the duration of the competition. All I want is for some change to happen. Oceania NEEDS to be merged into Asia (and then have Asia split into two sub-confederations, at least for early qualifying tournaments etc), so that one day, this won't be an issue at all.

Janan_T wrote:
I speak enough of this team from Wellington. I turn attention to my new team, Adelaide United. I switch radio to SAFM for drive show. I enjoy nice day in my new home, Adelaide, and I focus on my team Adelaide United.

Good for you mate. I just hope you've stuck around to read my reply, or at least intend to read it in the future, as I put a lot of thought into that.
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

Huh. He didn't read it. Typical.
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Can anyone tell me what formation Ricki Herbert has stuck with lately? Everyone I've spoken to has a different idea.
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

cbowden9000 wrote:
Can anyone tell me what formation Ricki Herbert has stuck with lately? Everyone I've spoken to has a different idea.

Bump
phoenix22
phoenix22
Amateur
Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)

Janan_T wrote:

AJohn
AJohn
World Class

cbowden9000 wrote:
cbowden9000 wrote:

Bump

You'd have more luck on the Yellow Fever website wouldn't you?
aitkenmike
aitkenmike
Amateur
Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)

cbowden9000 wrote:

He usually plays a 4-2-3-1 with the Phoenix, but I would say in the last couple of weeks with Ifill back to full fitness he has been playing a 4-1-4-1 (but looking much more fluid than normal)

Ifill up top, Greenacre and Brown in behind (with Brown having slightly more defensive responsibilities, and Greenacre looking to receive the ball back to goal and lay it off), Sanchez and Bertos out wide, with Smith playing the holding CM role.

Could be horribly wrong but that is the best estimation from what I have seen.
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

phoenix22 wrote:
Janan_T wrote:

I wrote a really long, level headed, well thought out reply to him, and get totally ignored. Sigh.
Bowden
Bowden
Legend

aitkenmike wrote:
cbowden9000 wrote:

He usually plays a 4-2-3-1 with the Phoenix, but I would say in the last couple of weeks with Ifill back to full fitness he has been playing a 4-1-4-1 (but looking much more fluid than normal)

Ifill up top, Greenacre and Brown in behind (with Brown having slightly more defensive responsibilities, and Greenacre looking to receive the ball back to goal and lay it off), Sanchez and Bertos out wide, with Smith playing the holding CM role.

Could be horribly wrong but that is the best estimation from what I have seen.

Cheers, but what does Fox Sports (or Sky Sports) usually show the line-up as?
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

We could probably be more helpful if we knew what it was for ;)
Bowden
Bowden
Legend

Don't need your help anymore, cheers guys :)
AJohn
AJohn
World Class

cbowden9000 wrote:
Don't need your help anymore, cheers guys :)

What the hell is this for?!?!
Bowden
Bowden
Legend

xoxo Gossip Girl
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

Boooo tell us!
AJohn
AJohn
World Class

Don't make us steal top of the table from the LEGEND
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search