Official Wellington Phoenix Supporters Thread

Official Wellington Phoenix Supporters Thread

Author
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
:)
redcup
redcup
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
KiwiChick1 wrote:
phoenix22 wrote:
Janan_T wrote:

I come to Australia for better life. I love football. I work my brain. My home, Sri Lanka is part of Asian Football. Australia, my new home, is part of Asian Football. New Zealand, for right or wrong, is not part of Asian Football.

I cannot see how team of Phoenix, based in Wellington, New Zealand, can compete in Champions League of Asia. It not make sense.

Do you see how I can come to this point of view?

I speak enough of this team from Wellington. I turn attention to my new team, Adelaide United. I switch radio to SAFM for drive show. I enjoy nice day in my new home, Adelaide, and I focus on my team Adelaide United.

I wrote a really long, level headed, well thought out reply to him, and get totally ignored. Sigh.

Thanks for taking the time and effort.
I don't know this kid, but I've read enough of his posts to assume that he's not a troll.
I'm also going to state that he has a tenuous grasp on the English language., so much so that your well thought out reply was too much, word-wise, for him to struggle through.

The major problem, as I see it, of the Asian confed allowing the Nix to enter the ACL is team make-up. As NZ is not in the Asian confed. all NZ players will be classed as foreign, so your team will have to recruit Australians to fill all roles currently filled by NZ players.
Benjo
Benjo
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Cbowden is Arnie's dogsbody. I think.

Edited by benjo: 2/2/2012 05:28:13 PM
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

redcup wrote:
KiwiChick1 wrote:
phoenix22 wrote:
Janan_T wrote:

I come to Australia for better life. I love football. I work my brain. My home, Sri Lanka is part of Asian Football. Australia, my new home, is part of Asian Football. New Zealand, for right or wrong, is not part of Asian Football.

I cannot see how team of Phoenix, based in Wellington, New Zealand, can compete in Champions League of Asia. It not make sense.

Do you see how I can come to this point of view?

I speak enough of this team from Wellington. I turn attention to my new team, Adelaide United. I switch radio to SAFM for drive show. I enjoy nice day in my new home, Adelaide, and I focus on my team Adelaide United.

I wrote a really long, level headed, well thought out reply to him, and get totally ignored. Sigh.

Thanks for taking the time and effort.
I don't know this kid, but I've read enough of his posts to assume that he's not a troll.
I'm also going to state that he has a tenuous grasp on the English language., so much so that your well thought out reply was too much, word-wise, for him to struggle through.

The major problem, as I see it, of the Asian confed allowing the Nix to enter the ACL is team make-up. As NZ is not in the Asian confed. all NZ players will be classed as foreign, so your team will have to recruit Australians to fill all roles currently filled by NZ players.

Naw thanks :)

Yeah, exactly, I agree. That's why New Zealand needs to become part of Asia.
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

cbowden9000 wrote:
:)

Pretty please tell me? o:)
aitkenmike
aitkenmike
Amateur
Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)Amateur (564 reputation)

cbowden9000 wrote:
aitkenmike wrote:
cbowden9000 wrote:
Can anyone tell me what formation Ricki Herbert has stuck with lately? Everyone I've spoken to has a different idea.

He usually plays a 4-2-3-1 with the Phoenix, but I would say in the last couple of weeks with Ifill back to full fitness he has been playing a 4-1-4-1 (but looking much more fluid than normal)

Ifill up top, Greenacre and Brown in behind (with Brown having slightly more defensive responsibilities, and Greenacre looking to receive the ball back to goal and lay it off), Sanchez and Bertos out wide, with Smith playing the holding CM role.

Could be horribly wrong but that is the best estimation from what I have seen.

Cheers, but what does Fox Sports (or Sky Sports) usually show the line-up as?

It varies from week to week, but is always unfailingly wrong. I have seen some shockers (such as it showing Brown on the wing one week, and Greenacre as well once.)
Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Quote:

No decision made on Daniel's future

There are rumorus Daniel is about to leave the Phoenix

Mon, 13 Feb 2012 10:46a.m.
Wellington Phoenix midfielder Daniel is on the verge of leaving the A-League club.

The Brazillian-born 32-year-old is reportedly upset with the offer he’s been given by coach Ricki Herbert.

He has been a stalwart of the Phoenix lineup since 2007.

Herbert says nothing has been set in stone with Daniel, but player happiness is paramount.

“There isn’t any decision made on Daniel at this stage, but we’ll wait and see what happens over the next few weeks,” Herbert told Live Sport.

“At the end of the day, players have got to be happy with what those decisions are. Some may elect to stay, some may elect to move on.”

Meanwhile, Phoenix captain Andrew Durante and deputy Tim Brown will serve a match suspension after being booked in Sunday night’s 2-0 loss to the Brisbane Roar in Wellington.

3 News

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/No-decision-made-on-Daniels-future/tabid/209/articleID/242650/Default.aspx?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+co%2FHCaY+%283News-+Latest+News%29#ixzz1mDcgveHL

AJohn
AJohn
World Class
World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)

Just sign him Ricki. And play him. with Sanchez.
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

Quote:
Sunday March 4 is New Zealand's Children's Day and this year it coincides with the Wellington Phoenix's Week 22 clash with Gold Coast United.

To mark the day, there is a whole afternoon of free kids entertainment planned at Westpac with the stadium opening at an early 1pm so kids can enjoy themsleves for a couple of hours pre game. Activities include:

* bouncy castles,
* a vertical bungy,
* a rock climbing wall,
* McDonalds' blow up football field,
* facepainters and other children's entertainers
* a live band.

There will also be a chance to win a family trip to Melbourne to watch the Phoenix v Melbourne Victory on Friday March 16 courtesy of Qantas and the Intercontinental. Prize includes return flights, two nights accommodation and tickets to the match at AAMI Park.

Entries close at 4pm so you need to be there early to have a chance. The winners will be drawn at half time at the game.

Wellington Phoenix Head of Marketing David Dome said the Wellington Phoenix wanted to mark the day.

"A lot of our crowd is made up of families. This gives them the chance to make a whole afternoon on game day. They can come in early, let the kids run wild for a couple of hours and then sit back and watch the game" Dome said.

The Phoenix have also set aside the Family Zone as a special pricing initiative. Dome said they wanted to encourage those families who sometimes can't afford tickets to make a day of it this game.

"We decided that we were putting on all this free entertainment and wanted as many kids as possible to be able to take advantage of it. Sometimes families can't always afford to go to a game - so we've put aside a limited amount of tickets in the Family Zone at half the regular price to make it more affordable."

These tickets are not available on game day at the Stadium and they cannot be purchased anywhere else other than the Family Zone.

Dome said they were not only looking to provide some free kids entertainment on the day but also acknowledge the spirit of the day.

The Government's lead agency - Child, Youth and Family - states the themes of the day are giving time, praise and encouragement, listening and talking, love and affection, and new experiences.

"We've been working with Child, Youth and Family in developing the day" Dome said.

"Not only will there be national Children's Day staff on site to represent the day, we will also be hosting about 100 parents and kids from CYF families - most of whom would never be able to attend a professional sports event".

'It's consistent with our Charity and Community Programmes to be a part of our wonderful local community".

Gates open at 1pm and the Phoenix v Gold Coast kicks off at 4.30pm.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/wellingtonphoenix/news-display/Kids-Big-Day-Out-Planned-For-Sunday-March-4/45471

[size=8]OH MY GOSH! THERE ARE GOING TO BE BOUNCY CASTLES!!!! [/size]

David Dome=LEGEND. One man marketing department.
AJohn
AJohn
World Class
World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)World Class (9.2K reputation)

Bouncy Castles. I'm 24, I would still jump on one.
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

AJohn wrote:

I'm going early just for the bouncy castles. Hopefully they'll still let me on, 17 could still be considered a kid. You're never too old for bouncy castles. Never.
Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

AJohn
AJohn
World Class

Love the football podcasts. Jason Pine needs to be the TV commentator as well.

Because this thread needs some discussion, what should we look at doing for next season? Besides resigning some players such as Sanchez, where do we need to improve in? What type of player would we need to sign?

I reckon we need a deadly striker and a creative midfileder. Yes we've got Ifill but we don't have much else going forward.
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

AJohn wrote:

Because this thread needs some discussion, what should we look at doing for next season? Besides resigning some players such as Sanchez, where do we need to improve in? What type of player would we need to sign?

I reckon we need a deadly striker and a creative midfileder. Yes we've got Ifill but we don't have much else going forward.

I think all we REALLY need is a decent striker, plus we could probably do with another keeper, and maybe some cover for some of the other positions, but that's all I can think of at the moment.
AJohn
AJohn
World Class

KiwiChick1 wrote:
AJohn wrote:

I think all we REALLY need is a decent striker, plus we could probably do with another keeper, and maybe some cover for some of the other positions, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Well both of our goalkeepers are off contract end of the season. I can't see Warner being resigned with any haste, but Paston definitely has another year or two in his legs. Glen Moss is a free agent and would be brilliant to have around next year so we could look at him as replacement for Warner.

KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

I would absolutely LOVE to have Mossy back. If Paston can manage one more season, then that'll be brilliant too.
AJohn
AJohn
World Class

That Tyson fellow also at Gold Coast would also do if we're just looking for a backup.

We do need a backup right back. Lia is horrible there by all accounts. Isn't that why we signed Downey?
FulofGladbach
FulofGladbach
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

AJohn wrote:

Aww, Lucky :(
AJohn
AJohn
World Class

Sidenote: http://au.fourfourtwo.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=58714&p=5
Reading this thread made me lol. Makes us sitting in fourth with a chance to get into the Top 2 with 2 games left all the more impressive.
Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Nova Energy deal for Wellington Phoenix ahead of play-offs

22 March 2012 | Posted in Sponsorship, Soccer, Oceania | By Eoin Connolly

Nova Energy is to sponsor A-League soccer club Wellington Phoenix for the next two years.

The deal will see the Nova Energy logo appear on the back of the New Zealand club's shirt, as well as on its training apparel and player travel bags. Financial terms were not disclosed but it was confirmed that Nova Energy has a two-year right of renewal.

Wellington Phoenix chairman Rob Morrison said the deal "shows that the club is moving forward", adding: "From the outset our strategy has focussed on developing a sustainable business model. To achieve that goal we need sponsors along with the great fan support the Phoenix enjoys, access to grass roots football, and the capital and business expertise provided by Welnix. The fact that Nova Energy is joining the Phoenix family is a positive endorsement of what we are trying to achieve."

Babu Bahirathan, the chief executive of Nova Energy, added: "The Wellington Phoenix has a strong brand and is one of New Zealand's great sporting properties. Nova Energy is one of New Zealand's best kept energy secrets and we want to build our profile and we believe the Phoenix can help us do this. We very much see this as a partnership. While Nova Energy will sponsor the back of the shirt we are keen to do a lot more than that."

The Weliington Phoenix will finish the Hyundai A-League regular season against Central Coast Mariners on Sunday before moving into the play-offs on Friday 30th March.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/nova_energy_deal_for_wellington_phoenix_ahead_of_play-offs/?utm_source=Feeds&utm_campaign=Latest+News&utm_medium=rss

AJohn
AJohn
World Class

INto the playoffs guys! I don't care if we bomb out first round (well, I will), this season has been better than expected.

So Brown's on the way out, we've got Moss, Daniel and Warner look set to leave, among others. Smith said that negotiations are coming along well for next season.

Who should we retain, who should we throw out, and any players off contract from other clubs that we could take?
Everton FC
Everton FC
Rising Star
Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)

Yellow Fever In the Zone Episode One w/ David Dome GM of the Nix
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

Lindsay has signed for two more years :D

Hopefully he'll get a game sometime since Herbert's still talking him up.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/6766528/Phoenix-put-faith-in-Lindsay-with-extension

Edited by KiwiChick1: 18/4/2012 07:41:54 PM
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Hey grrivals do you like this its a work in progess:P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distance_Derby

Id appreciate if one of use could edit your end on your take of the new rivalry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington_Pheonix

KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

:lol: Niiiiiiiiiice.
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Its not a joke anymore kiwichick we really do hate you:D
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

Actually it's funny how we became rivals, and then we were basically fighting to take the higher position from each other basically all season. And to top it all off we even had a playoff game against each other! Good planning FFA.
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend

Found it interesting that wellington and perth have both won 7 matches against each other and also the same amount of points earned at each stadium. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distance_Derby

Edited by glory recruit: 29/4/2012 05:00:14 PM
Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Six Phoenix players in All Whites squad

Last updated 10:01 15/05/2012

All Whites coach Ricki Herbert has named six Wellington Phoenix players in his 22-man squad.

Herbert has also found room in an otherwise full-strength squad to call up promising England-based youngsters Cameron Howieson and Tim Payne for the OFC Nations Cup in the Solomon Islands and internationals against Honduras and El Salvador in the United States.

The All Whites coach has handed recalls to Michael Boxall, Aaron Clapham and Rory Fallon, all of whom missed out on the reduced squad for the international against Jamaica in February, while fit-again goalkeeper Glen Moss also returns.

He has included teenagers Payne, 18, and Howieson, 17, with one eye on their All Whites future and one on the London Olympics.

Of the squad named, Tony Lochhead (honeymoon), Rory Fallon (pursuing coaching badges) and Ryan Nelsen (post season break) have been excused from the United States leg of the tour, which falls outside of the FIFA international window.

Squad (club - caps/goals in brackets):

Goalkeepers

Jake GLEESON (Portland Timbers, USA - 1/0)** Glen MOSS (Wellington Phoenix - 19/0) Mark PASTON (Wellington Phoenix - 29/0)

Defenders

Michael BOXALL (Vancouver Whitecaps, CAN - 3/0) Tony LOCHHEAD (Wellington Phoenix - 35/0)* Ryan NELSEN (captain, Tottenham Hotspur , ENG - 46/6)* Winston REID (West Ham, ENG - 10/1) Ben SIGMUND (Wellington Phoenix - 19/1) Tommy SMITH (Ipswich Town, ENG - 9/0) Ivan VICELICH (Auckland City - 74/6)

Midfielders

Leo BERTOS (Wellington Phoenix - 40/0)

Jeremy BROCKIE (Wellington Phoenix - 25/0) Aaron CLAPHAM (Canterbury United - 5/0) Cameron HOWIESON (Burnley, ENG - 0/0) Dan KEAT (Los Angeles Galaxy, USA - 1/0) Michael MCGLINCHEY (Central Coast Mariners, AUS - 11/1) Tim PAYNE (Blackburn Rovers, ENG - 0/0) Marco ROJAS (Melbourne Victory, AUS - 3/0)

Forwards

Kosta BARBAROUSES (Alania Vladikavkaz, RUS - 5/0) Rory FALLON (Aberdeen, SCO - 11/3 ) Chris KILLEN (Chongqing, CHN - 40/12) Shane SMELTZ (Perth Glory, AUS - 37/17) Chris WOOD (West Bromwich Albion, ENG - 18/2)

Not considered due to injury: Simon ELLIOTT, Craig HENDERSON

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/phoenix/6922817/Six-Phoenix-players-in-All-Whites-squad

New_Dawn_Kiwi_Fan
New_Dawn_Kiwi_Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Not a bad team. How Clapham can't get a Nix deal but gets AW spot is beyond me.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search