Small Sided Football changes I'd like to see.

Small Sided Football changes I'd like to see.

Author
Judy Free
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
General Ashnak wrote:
Judy Free wrote:
Perhaps in another 20 years you might threaten to get a grip on Aussie sockah kulcha.

In which state ;)

Dunno, you tell me which state where sockah is número uno?

General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Judy Free wrote:
General Ashnak wrote:
Judy Free wrote:
Perhaps in another 20 years you might threaten to get a grip on Aussie sockah kulcha.

In which state ;)

:lol: none is the answer Chips :lol:

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

Judy Free
Judy Free
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

General Ashnak wrote:
Judy Free wrote:
General Ashnak wrote:
Judy Free wrote:

In which state ;)

You win the cigar.

Hopefully NP gets the gist of this.
nearpost
nearpost
Weekender
Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)

Judy Free wrote:
General Ashnak wrote:
Judy Free wrote:
General Ashnak wrote:
Judy Free wrote:

In which state ;)

You win the cigar.

Hopefully NP gets the gist of this.

Chips - you were never going to win the cigar on this one - why you so blinkered on football in Australia?

- get out and watch the game at grassroots level - developing all our players might not lead to lots of more players ready for Socceroo level - (didn't think i had to start your football education at step 1) but if you want to develop Aussie "sokah culture" you could do a lot worse than developing all our players to a far better technical standard.

Seems you've lived in Australia all your life - or maybe you a pom:)
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Don't mean to be a pain in the arse here but is there any chance we could discuss the thread subject?

It wouldn't matter what you post up, he's going to disagree with you no matter what so why bother?

Personally I'd like to see 15 year olds play 9 vs 9 on a small sided field. (Main field split in 2. Games played perpendicular to main field.) The advantages would be as stated in the initial post.

Member since 2008.

nearpost
nearpost
Weekender
Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)Weekender (41 reputation)

Fair point Munrubenmuz.

We're going to put all our 12, 13 14 and 15 age groups on smallest full sized fields next year...if that makes sense. Some pitches are huge for our 12 and 13 in particular. The idea you suggest might work even better but very hard to sell to community in any club.)

Same logic for all age groups 12- 15 put them on the smallest fields - we're lucky we have options.
- they have to work their feet and skills harder, can only reinforce the technical skills we're aiming to improve from 6-12.

Putting them on the biggest fields makes no sense. Players don't even run as far. People think you run more on a bigger pitch but the reality is in junior football players NEVER overlap from 2 or 5 position or move back from 7 and 11 as pitch is too big.

No-one's commenting in local football organisation that we are doing the wrong or the right thing - seems given the fields they use for U12 girls and boys to play rep games, they've never thought about it.

Needs to be a tie-in with SSG logic - we ain't gonna die wondering or waiting for our loca football organisation to assist.

A mate at another club has been setting the pitch size for older kids for years. Better games, players closer to the ball so working harder, improving technique and fitness. Makes sense.
Arthur
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

nearpost wrote:
Fair point Munrubenmuz.

We're going to put all our 12, 13 14 and 15 age groups on smallest full sized fields next year...if that makes sense. Some pitches are huge for our 12 and 13 in particular. The idea you suggest might work even better but very hard to sell to community in any club.)

Our Club has been lucky in that we have six pitches available to us. Four are full size and two are minimum size to accomadate U12 to U15 teams. Works for us.

It's interesting that not only are 13-14yo "dropping out" but how many here in Victoria are "filtered out" that is the biggest crime.
All based on a preconceived notion of what WE beleive a player needs to be able to do TODAY. While all the research in education and sport science tells us that cognitive, psychological and physical skill develop at different rates in young people. What becomes important is what they can do TOMORROW as adults.
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

Don't be so rational fellas, we all know that if they haven't been identified by the time they have reached the second trimester you are pushing soft smelly stuff up a hill ;)

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.

Judy Free
Judy Free
Semi-Pro

General Ashnak wrote:
Don't be so rational fellas, we all know that if they haven't been identified by the time they have reached the second trimester you are pushing soft smelly stuff up a hill ;)

Nutshell.

Ah but I'll be sure to look out for those 15 year olds exclusivley playing SSG's in future gens of Joeys.:lol:
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend

Judy Free wrote:
General Ashnak wrote:

Nutshell.

Ah but I'll be sure to look out for those 15 year olds exclusivley playing SSG's in future gens of Joeys.:lol:

:lol: Good to see you have your sense of humor back Chips!

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

nearpost wrote:
Fair point Munrubenmuz.

Same logic for all age groups 12- 15 put them on the smallest fields - we're lucky we have options.
- they have to work their feet and skills harder, can only reinforce the technical skills we're aiming to improve from 6-12.

Putting them on the biggest fields makes no sense. Players don't even run as far. People think you run more on a bigger pitch but the reality is in junior football players NEVER overlap from 2 or 5 position or move back from 7 and 11 as pitch is too big.

No-one's commenting in local football organisation that we are doing the wrong or the right thing - seems given the fields they use for U12 girls and boys to play rep games, they've never thought about it.

Needs to be a tie-in with SSG logic - we ain't gonna die wondering or waiting for our loca football organisation to assist.

A mate at another club has been setting the pitch size for older kids for years. Better games, players closer to the ball so working harder, improving technique and fitness. Makes sense.

Good work with the small sized full sized pitches. (It does make sense.)

Unfortunately we have only one main field and it's the biggest size it can be for the seniors. Of course when the 12 year olds play on it it looks waaay too big for them.

It's good that your club is taking the initiative with regards to this because despite other peanut's opinions to the contrary the evidence is in.

Spanish youth players to play on a reduced size field up until the ages of 16, Barcelona train 11 v 11 on a half size pitch and Brisbane Roar to play 11 v 11 on a reduced size pitch from 18 yard to 18 yard box but what would they know?

If we're going to follow anyone why not follow the countries with a track record.

Member since 2008.

dirk vanadidas
dirk vanadidas
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Munrubenmuz wrote:
Personally I'd like to see 15 year olds play 9 vs 9 on a small sided field. (Main field split in 2. Games played perpendicular to main field.) The advantages would be as stated in the initial post.

take your daughter to england as thats what they will be doing for all female teams.

Europe is funding the war not Chelsea football club

Judy Free
Judy Free
Semi-Pro

General Ashnak wrote:
Judy Free wrote:
General Ashnak wrote:

Nutshell.

:lol: Good to see you have your sense of humor back Chips!

GA, you know I won't be satisfied until we can pump out Patafta's with monotonous regularity.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
nearpost wrote:
Fair point Munrubenmuz.

Putting them on the biggest fields makes no sense. Players don't even run as far.

Forward thinking from your club, Nearpost.:)
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Munrubenmuz wrote:

Good work with the small sized full sized pitches. (It does make sense.)

Unfortunately we have only one main field and it's the biggest size it can be for the seniors. Of course when the 12 year olds play on it it looks waaay too big for them.

It's good that your club is taking the initiative with regards to this because despite other peanut's opinions to the contrary the evidence is in.

Spanish youth players to play on a reduced size field up until the ages of 16, Barcelona train 11 v 11 on a half size pitch and Brisbane Roar to play 11 v 11 on a reduced size pitch from 18 yard to 18 yard box but what would they know?

If we're going to follow anyone why not follow the countries with a track record.

Unfortunately, running becomes too significant on big pitches for young players.

Interesting what is happening in Spain, and at Barcelona and Roar.
juniorcoach
juniorcoach
Fan
Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)

Wow great post! Sorry to drag up such an old thread, but I registered just so that I could reply!
I am going through this transition as we speak. We have some parents that want their kids to skip under 11 completely and head straight to full pitch next season!! I watched a lot of under 12 football this season and it was of a very poor standard. I believe the size of the pitch had a part to play in this also. I'm shocked FFA haven't adjusted under 12s to a 9v9 format with smaller field but heard it a logistical issue. Would love to hear if anyone has any updates on this. I'm one who fully supports SSG and the advantages it has for a young childs development!
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

juniorcoach wrote:
Wow great post! Sorry to drag up such an old thread, but I registered just so that I could reply!
I am going through this transition as we speak. We have some parents that want their kids to skip under 11 completely and head straight to full pitch next season!! I watched a lot of under 12 football this season and it was of a very poor standard. I believe the size of the pitch had a part to play in this also. I'm shocked FFA haven't adjusted under 12s to a 9v9 format with smaller field but heard it a logistical issue. Would love to hear if anyone has any updates on this. I'm one who fully supports SSG and the advantages it has for a young childs development!

No worries, welcome to the forum! :)

As regards to SSGs i hearing in NSW next year that the under 12s will be now part of the SAP Program which was originally a program for kids ranging from under 9s to 11s but from next year SAP will be increased to under 12s and 11v11 will now start from under 13s instead.

So it means another year of 9v9s at under 12 level, i'm not sure what the other states are doing next year when it comes to SAP also, but SAP and the SSGs are related based on age and pitch size.

Here is the full document explaining everything.

http://www.filedropper.com/29052015-fnsw2016menscompreviewfinalresolution
juniorcoach
juniorcoach
Fan
Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)

Thanks for the reply Barca, absolutely brilliant on behalf of NSW .... now hoping VIC will introduce sooner rather than later

Edit: Barca, I cant open that link for some reason?

Edited by juniorcoach: 4/9/2015 04:20:58 PM
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

juniorcoach wrote:
Thanks for the reply Barca, absolutely brilliant on behalf of NSW .... now hoping VIC will introduce sooner rather than later

Edit: Barca, I cant open that link for some reason?

Edited by juniorcoach: 4/9/2015 04:20:58 PM

Sorry i dont know why i doesnt work.

But hear is the transcript regarding changes to SAP next year:

Quote:
SKILL ACQUISITION PROGRAM (SAP)
• Age groups in SAP to increase to include the Under 12 age group which is to
become part of SAP from 2016 onwards with the same structure and number of
players as the U11’s.

• Number of SAP licenses will remain at 31 for 2016 with the following entities eligible
to apply for a SAP licensee:
o NPYL Clubs (Tier 1 and Tier 2)
o Associations
o Branches

• In selecting SAP licensees, FNSW will take into account the quality of the existing
program, the extent to which the club’s existing programs satisfy eligibility criteria
and the respective geographical location of applicants and endeavour to ensure an
even spread of elite development opportunities.

• New HAL Academies/Clubs (Sydney FC and WSW) will not be eligible to
participate in SAP.

juniorcoach
juniorcoach
Fan

Great! Thank you
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search