Western Sydney Wanderers Football Club

Western Sydney Wanderers Football Club

Author
Swarth
Pro
Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
for me i think stripes and hoops can look alright if the hoops or stripes are big enough(bigger than melbourne heart imo), i know there are so many great clubs with stripes though, i like villa and west ham i admit i dont really know the history of football in western sydney so which western sydney team was the most iconic in the nsl? maybe something similar to them

Erebus
Erebus
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Swarth wrote:
which western sydney team was the most iconic in the nsl? maybe something similar to them

I disagree. We want to bring all the fans together, not alienate them immediately by making WSFC have the colours of their long time rivals in the NSL/NSWPL.
Swarth
Swarth
Pro
Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)

Erebus wrote:
Swarth wrote:
which western sydney team was the most iconic in the nsl? maybe something similar to them

I disagree. We want to bring all the fans together, not alienate them immediately by making WSFC have the colours of their long time rivals in the NSL/NSWPL.

true i forgot how heated the rivalries got in the nsl, ideally the jersey would remind people of the nsl but not towards one team so fans of all teams can unite under it and enjoy it........if that is at all possible which is doubtful other than that a new one works i knew there were many sydney teams in the nsl but i was not sure where in sydney each team was based in

Neanderthal
Neanderthal
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Some popular mock up kits just incase some people havn't seen them:

I think the forced inclusion of white ruins some of these kits.

More here: http://footballkitsdesign.blogspot.com.au/search/label/Sydney%20Rovers%20F.%20C.
KenGooner_GCU
KenGooner_GCU
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Above kit is fucking class.

Also there's too many white away kits.

Hello

Clives_great
Clives_great
Hacker
Hacker (328 reputation)Hacker (328 reputation)Hacker (328 reputation)Hacker (328 reputation)Hacker (328 reputation)Hacker (328 reputation)Hacker (328 reputation)Hacker (328 reputation)Hacker (328 reputation)Hacker (328 reputation)Hacker (328 reputation)

What's wrong with Yellow and Blue ?
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

Swarth wrote:
stripes should be banned, so should the names city, united or any american influenced name(the giants for example)

Because so many teams in the HAL are called City...

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

ual
ual
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

I don't see what's wrong with American-style franchise names. Australian culture is very similar to America's and as we know from the AFL/NRL/ARU's team names Australians like franchise names rather than boring club names. Perth Glory is a great name imo, how boring would it be if it was just Perth City? However, Fury and Roar are terrible :lol:
KenGooner_GCU
KenGooner_GCU
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

West Sydney City doesn't have much of a ring to it does it?

West Sydney Rovers sounds good I reckon.

Hello

ual
ual
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

I like Wanderers, gives it a bit of alliteration.
Bukowski
Bukowski
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (288 reputation)Hardcore Fan (288 reputation)Hardcore Fan (288 reputation)Hardcore Fan (288 reputation)Hardcore Fan (288 reputation)Hardcore Fan (288 reputation)Hardcore Fan (288 reputation)Hardcore Fan (288 reputation)Hardcore Fan (288 reputation)Hardcore Fan (288 reputation)Hardcore Fan (288 reputation)

Red and black stripes would alienate all the Italians who aren't fans of AC Milan. Best to make it hoops.
Roarz
Roarz
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Neanderthal wrote:

Class. Western Sydney Rovers, in that kit. if you replace Kewell for Neill ;)
darkstar99
darkstar99
Under 7s
Under 7s (12 reputation)Under 7s (12 reputation)Under 7s (12 reputation)Under 7s (12 reputation)Under 7s (12 reputation)Under 7s (12 reputation)Under 7s (12 reputation)Under 7s (12 reputation)Under 7s (12 reputation)Under 7s (12 reputation)Under 7s (12 reputation)

How about the name:

AFC West Sydney

(Athletic Football Club West Sydney)

Colours: Black and Green or Black and Orange
Roar Across the Nation
Roar Across the Nation
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

ual wrote:
I don't see what's wrong with American-style franchise names. Australian culture is very similar to America's and as we know from the AFL/NRL/ARU's team names Australians like franchise names rather than boring club names. Perth Glory is a great name imo, how boring would it be if it was just Perth City? However, Fury and Roar are terrible :lol:

#-o
Roarz
Roarz
Pro

Oh and to the people wanting just "West Sydney Football Club" yes it sounds nice but imagine the Derbys.

Commentators would definitely shorten it to "FC"

West Sydney FC vs Sydney FC

..lol
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

For people of my generation labelling anything with West or Western Sydney was an absolute no no and the Sydney Rovers got the same message when they did their tour to the different parts of the city to chat with the fans and clubs. Has this changed? Another issue I have is that long term there is potential for other A or A-2 teams in the west. Would it be better to name the club with a name more appropriate to the central west of Sydney?
ual
ual
Pro

Roar Across the Nation wrote:
ual wrote:

#-o

Instead of slapping your forehead like a moron, how about you tell me what's wrong with what I said? I know Western Sydney will be all for the purists and all that wank but in reality franchise names aren't that bad. No-one outside of the football purists in this country will give 2.4534 fucks whether the team is called Western Sydney Rovers or Western Sydney Flying Needle Beavers V2.01 mk.III - and even then I don't get why anyone would. We're not Europe.
robstazzz
robstazzz
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

I think Sydney Partisan FC would be a good name,Sydney Patriots FC for those that like the American style names but id prefer to go with Sydney Partisan FC.
Roar Across the Nation
Roar Across the Nation
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

ual wrote:
Roar Across the Nation wrote:
ual wrote:

#-o

Instead of slapping your forehead like a moron, how about you tell me what's wrong with what I said? I know Western Sydney will be all for the purists and all that wank but in reality franchise names aren't that bad. No-one outside of the football purists in this country will give 2.4534 fucks whether the team is called Western Sydney Rovers or Western Sydney Flying Needle Beavers V2.01 mk.III - and even then I don't get why anyone would. We're not Europe.

The part where you say Glory = good, Roar = bad. That was a face palm deserving moment imo.
RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

Out of the other names bandied about I don't mind International West Sydney or something to that extent. Keep "Athletic" for Canberra AFC, which can use their AIS program and such.

Wanderers remains my favourite though. As long as we don't end up with something stupid like what Melbourne have to deal with
Erebus
Erebus
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

FC Internazionale Sydney ;)
vanbasten88
vanbasten88
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Whats wrong with Parra St Germain?

RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

sobkowski wrote:
Erebus wrote:
FC Internazionale Sydney ;)

Too ethnic???

I'm being silly here btw guys :P

Olympique la Fairfield-Belmore & Parramatta Avala United?
macktheknife
macktheknife
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Red Bull Smithfield
Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Parramatta River Plate
cgorac
cgorac
Amateur
Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)

sobkowski wrote:
I read somewhere that there is to be fan consultation regarding name, colours, crest, etc.

It would be good if they released pre-memberships that can be purchased, and only those members can vote on the design outcomes.

Otherwise if it is an open poll, people from all other clubs would be able to put their sticky beaks in to the voting process, which i think would be undesirable.

Thats how the Bulldogs done it when they choose there new logo only to members and season ticket holders...And it's a perfect idea
Jowel
Jowel
Super Fan
Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)

Western Sydney FC has a website

http://wsfc.freeforums.org/wsfc-f6.html

Jowel
Jowel
Super Fan
Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)

So, it appears the FFA have now gone dead quiet regarding whether a western sydney club has ACTUALLY been given the green light.

If a team will be playing at the end of this year, isn't it time we bloody knew about it???

Edited by jowel: 7/3/2012 11:04:27 AM
Reedy
Reedy
Rising Star
Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)

Jowel wrote:
So, it appears the FFA have now gone dead quiet regarding whether a western sydney club has ACTUALLY been given the green light.

If a team will be playing at the end of this year, isn't it time we bloody knew about it???

The sooner they announce it the better.. they really need to make a quick decision there.. but they did say they were going to leave it until the season finished.. at least that gives them a chance to gauge the GCU support (unless they've already made up their mind about GCU)
vincenzogold
vincenzogold
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

Jowel wrote:

Yes this happens all the time, take the silence as there are not getting a team together every time there is silence by the FFA it means they are doing nothing, that must be why it's always silent by the FFA
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search