Western Sydney Wanderers Football Club

Western Sydney Wanderers Football Club

Author
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
RedKat wrote:
Some people are waaay ove thinking the name. Try explain the raven reference to a bogan :p

They wouldn't be interested because they follow Sydney FC.
cgorac
cgorac
Amateur
Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)

vincenzogold wrote:
I don't want anothe terrible generic logo do something symbolic of the region like the parra river or the three sisters. Anything but a fucking massive football in the middle with the name west Sydney around it.

Then you might as well call it West Sydney Rapids or West Sydney National Parks FC
Erebus
Erebus
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Jowel wrote:
Erebus wrote:
Jowel wrote:
Colours should be like AS Roma - a maroon colour with gold trim. That would look awesome.

But maroon is traditionally the QLD colours. Makes no sense to take that from them.

haha. just like Sydney FC rip off the NSW Origin team!

Well they obviously did that on purpose to try and grab the hearts of the population. Waratahs are the same.
dale1878
dale1878
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

sobkowski wrote:

Wow. That looks familiar. :roll:

"This new design brings together the region’s prehistoric past, sporting history and bright future. A The top half of the crest symbolises the western sunset shining back over the Three Sisters, an ancient rock formation located west of the city proper. Below the Sisters runs the Parramatta River, which dissects Western Sydney before flowing into Sydney Harbour and into the ocean. Above the Sisters is the seven-pointed Federation Star, symbolising unity and common identity, with each point representing one of the seven former National League clubs from Sydney’s West."
G-Star
G-Star
Hacker
Hacker (324 reputation)Hacker (324 reputation)Hacker (324 reputation)Hacker (324 reputation)Hacker (324 reputation)Hacker (324 reputation)Hacker (324 reputation)Hacker (324 reputation)Hacker (324 reputation)Hacker (324 reputation)Hacker (324 reputation)

Jowel wrote:

Parra St Germain

Sporting Lidcombe

CLASSIC!!
dale1878
dale1878
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

sobkowski wrote:
You might want to do up your fly, Dale, your ego's showing.

I remember some people noting that the original looked too much like a middle eastern club logo with the one star above the three sisters which they said looked like a mosque or egyptian structure, which is why I moved and added some more stars.

Is that ok with you, Dale?

I never said that I created it, if you'll use those eyes of yours that I'm sure aren't painted on, I said that it was created by someone else and modified by myself. I would never claim intellectual property of someone else's work, I'm very much against that.

Nice tale, sir. Firstly, I don't care. Secondly, it's creative commons, you're more than welcome to modify it, as I have recently - I've also done a Wolves one, but that's another story. Thirdly, don't be a knob; jumping in like a keyboard warrior makes you look stupid.
macktheknife
macktheknife
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

cgorac wrote:
vincenzogold wrote:
I don't want anothe terrible generic logo do something symbolic of the region like the parra river or the three sisters. Anything but a fucking massive football in the middle with the name west Sydney around it.

Then you might as well call it West Sydney Rapids or West Sydney National Parks FC

:lol:

Edited by macktheknife: 5/3/2012 10:42:08 PM
Neanderthal
Neanderthal
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Have never been a fan of these kind of generic European copy names like throwing in United at the end. But Western Sydney Athletic actually has a great ring to it....
But only if it actually has "Western" in the name otherwise Sydney Athletic sounds like shit.
With regard to colours and kit, red and black is almost definitely the way to go imo.

I've never understood the three sisters. They're just three shitty old pointy bits of mountain. Has to be one of the worst natural landmarks in the world :lol:

Edited by neanderthal: 5/3/2012 10:51:07 PM
dale1878
dale1878
Pro

Neanderthal wrote:
Have never been a fan of these kind of generic European copy names like throwing in United at the end. But Western Sydney Athletic actually has a great ring to it....
But only if it actually has "Western" in the name otherwise Sydney Athletic sounds like shit.
With regard to colours and kit, red and black is almost definitely the way to go imo.

Vertical stripes. AWWW YEEEAAAH.
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

Will a name like Athletic or Rovers really connect with the broad community that live in West Syd? It possibly may not be as inclusive as the FFA should be aiming for but time will tell.

Never an easy thing to appeal to the broadest community. Let's hope it's not just United though :)
cgorac
cgorac
Amateur
Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)Amateur (567 reputation)

Neanderthal wrote:

I've never understood the three sisters. They're just three shitty old pointy bits of mountain. Has to be one of the worst natural landmarks in the world :lol:

Edited by neanderthal: 5/3/2012 10:51:07 PM

West yes Western no as it is way to american i belive...
HeyItsRobbie
HeyItsRobbie
World Class
World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)

why do the logos tell me we're gonna have another red team in the a-league?

quit the AC Milan/Liverpool/Manchester United fetish already >.>
phoenix22
phoenix22
Amateur
Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)

west sydney should go for the Roma colours red shirt with yellow trim, white shorts, black socks, then the sydney derby will look like roma v lazio colours wise. imitating tried and trusted formulas is known to work in business
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Sobkowski on fiyyaaa

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Heineken
Heineken
Legend
Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)

Erebus wrote:
Jowel wrote:
Erebus wrote:
Jowel wrote:
Colours should be like AS Roma - a maroon colour with gold trim. That would look awesome.

But maroon is traditionally the QLD colours. Makes no sense to take that from them.

haha. just like Sydney FC rip off the NSW Origin team!

Well they obviously did that on purpose to try and grab the hearts of the population. Waratahs are the same.

Erebus is correct in that Maroon is the state colours of Queensland. Sky Blue is the state colour of New South Wales.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_state_colours

It's got nothing do do with "ripping off the NSW Origin or 'Tahs colours. #-o #-o #-o

Sydney FC, representing the capital of New South Wales was always going to be Sky Blue. #-o

WOLLONGONG WOLVES FOR A-LEAGUE EXPANSION!

Heineken
Heineken
Legend
Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)

Erebus wrote:
Voltron >>>> Power Rangers

Proudly sponsored by:

WOLLONGONG WOLVES FOR A-LEAGUE EXPANSION!

Erebus
Erebus
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

phoenix22 wrote:
west sydney should go for the Roma colours red shirt with yellow trim, white shorts, black socks, then the sydney derby will look like roma v lazio colours wise. imitating tried and trusted formulas is known to work in business

I've been an advocate for the AC Milan colours/strip for WSFC, but this Roma inspired idea I can go for.

Either that, or we go Juventus colours :cool:
Jowel
Jowel
Super Fan
Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)

The Roma colours are sexy.

What we need is a deep dark red that distinguishes this new club from other well known red teams like Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal etc which are pretty well known.

Dark red with gold trim. WOuld look awesome and scary :evil:
BusbyBabe
BusbyBabe
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

First of all, how is a colour scary.

Also, having a red shirt won't make people think of Arsenal, Liverpool and United.
Jowel
Jowel
Super Fan
Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)Super Fan (154 reputation)

Here's a few ideas for the colours and jersey:

AS Roma:

Arsenal in 2005/2006 (Highbury farewell jersey):

Edited by jowel: 6/3/2012 11:57:30 AM
dale1878
dale1878
Pro

I like the Roma idea. I reckon Bayern's current jersey would be a good reference point, too.

Swarth
Swarth
Pro
Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)

stripes should be banned, so should the names city, united or any american influenced name(the giants for example)

Jowel
Jowel
Super Fan

Yeah. No stripes please! We don't want this team to look like AC Milan or Juventus!
Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Hoops are always a good look....
BusbyBabe
BusbyBabe
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Why should stripes (or hoops) be banned? :-s
Jowel
Jowel
Super Fan

The Spanish jersey too (with the alternate black/dark blue shorts) is a good one...

Swarth
Swarth
Pro
Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)

BusbyBabe wrote:
Why should stripes (or hoops) be banned? :-s

because they could create something that looks 100 times better, stripes look tacky and boring :P just my opinion hoops are not nearly as bad though

not sure what colours would be best though

BusbyBabe
BusbyBabe
Legend

I have always liked stripes or hoops. Some of the great clubs in World football have stripes, I am not saying West Sydney should do it because they do it but I have always found it to look professional and strong.
Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators
What about something like a West Ham or Aston Villa type kit.
BusbyBabe
BusbyBabe
Legend

I would be very surprised if it was anything other than red and black. I don't see a West Ham/Villa type kit, I do like those but not for West Sydney.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search