The Aussies Abroad Thread

The Aussies Abroad Thread

Author
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
highkick05 - 24 Sep 2017 1:54 AM
Mooy was shit all game. Couple good tackles and a free kick low and straight into the wall

some pretty nice passes in build up play

didnt get many chances to go forward

I think most huddersfield fans will disagree with your assessment
highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Hertha lost 1-0 boring game

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

The Fans - 24 Sep 2017 1:38 AM
You guys are talking they're man marking or targeting him specifically, they're just defending normally. Still think (always will) he should play 10.

huddersfield fans say he's too slow to play 10

I would have thought that speed is more of a liability if you are a screeener

so I agree i would like to see him at 10 but it wouldn't fit hudders tactics
highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

grazorblade - 24 Sep 2017 1:58 AM
highkick05 - 24 Sep 2017 1:54 AM

some pretty nice passes in build up play

didnt get many chances to go forward

I think most huddersfield fans will disagree with your assessment

feel he should have tried a little harder , probably more my assessment/point. walked it out

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

mooy's stats: created 4 chances. 4 tackles, 83% passing

One odd thing about mooy. Since going to europe his tackling has improved but he has struggled to win intercepts. I would expect this area of his game to improve with more time there and his defensive game to go to another level
highkick05
highkick05
Legend

grazorblade - 24 Sep 2017 2:05 AM
mooy's stats: created 4 chances. 4 tackles, 83% passing

One odd thing about mooy. Since going to europe his tackling has improved but he has struggled to win intercepts. I would expect this area of his game to improve with more time there and his defensive game to go to another level

tbh his free kicks have been lacking also. I would have expected by now would have been a lot better. He has taken quite a few and all have been substandard

The Fans
The Fans
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Grazor their fans are as clueless as their commentators. They've got no idea. Dont care if he's playing in the premier league Mooy has deterioted since leaving Melbourne and his national team performances prove that.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

highkick05 - 24 Sep 2017 2:09 AM
grazorblade - 24 Sep 2017 2:05 AM

tbh his free kicks have been lacking also. I would have expected by now would have been a lot better. He has taken quite a few and all have been substandard

yeah i prefer troisi's corners

Huddersfield play possession as more of a defensive strategy than an attacking strategy. They recycle possession in their half and are happy to concede 60% territory to win 60% possession. When they get the ball forward they are usually looking to strike quickly (I guess thats why they want a pacey number 10). They rarely try to patiently sustain pressure in the opposition half against a defensive block of 8. Mooy's safe as houses in possession as well as his creative spark are key to their style

Incidentally I think thats how a lot of people on the forum have described how the roos should play. Personally I like the roos current style given our personell deficiency in certain positions. To each is own i suppose
highkick05
highkick05
Legend

Mathew Juric starting

yay a game to watch

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

The Fans - 24 Sep 2017 2:17 AM
Grazor their fans are as clueless as their commentators. They've got no idea. Dont care if he's playing in the premier league Mooy has deterioted since leaving Melbourne and his national team performances prove that.

he certainly has lost a bit of flair and he is less of a 10 when he plays there for us

its hard to judge his national team performances though since his most recent are after a brutally long championship season which burns a player out. Maybe we will see a bit more flair when he freshens up a bit
Holding Bidfielder
Holding Bidfielder
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Sebastian Pasquali played a full game for Ajax U19 as they won 5-1 over Heerenveen U19.
As I mentioned in another post, both Pasquali and fellow Aussie John Iredale (playing for Heerenveen U19) scored in the game. IIRC, John Iredale has now scored three goals at youth level since joining Heerenveen this month. A great start!
From a quick look on the Ajax forums and the Ajax match report, Pasquali was the standout player and controlled the game very well. He was involved in the buildup play for several of the goals and was a constant threat in attack. The hype continues!

JoyfulPenguin
JoyfulPenguin
Rising Star
Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)

Group: Moderators
highkick05 - 24 Sep 2017 2:19 AM
Mathew Juric starting

yay a game to watch

Cheeky link?
highkick05
highkick05
Legend

JoyfulPenguin - 24 Sep 2017 2:32 AM
highkick05 - 24 Sep 2017 2:19 AM

Cheeky link?

see what I can do in 30

JoyfulPenguin
JoyfulPenguin
Rising Star
Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)

highkick05 - 24 Sep 2017 2:33 AM
JoyfulPenguin - 24 Sep 2017 2:32 AM

see what I can do in 30

Cheers bud
highkick05
highkick05
Legend

grazorblade - 24 Sep 2017 2:18 AM
highkick05 - 24 Sep 2017 2:09 AM

yeah i prefer troisi's corners

Huddersfield play possession as more of a defensive strategy than an attacking strategy. They recycle possession in their half and are happy to concede 60% territory to win 60% possession. When they get the ball forward they are usually looking to strike quickly (I guess thats why they want a pacey number 10). They rarely try to patiently sustain pressure in the opposition half against a defensive block of 8. Mooy's safe as houses in possession as well as his creative spark are key to their style

Incidentally I think thats how a lot of people on the forum have described how the roos should play. Personally I like the roos current style given our personell deficiency in certain positions. To each is own i suppose

I like his corner taking its elite. More pointing to his free kicks in front of goal. I remember in A-League he was a pretty good taker, but his EPL, even championship free kicks at goal have been so shit it's been hard for me to remember if he ever good, or made any. (pretty damn sure he was) for life of me I can't fathom why he hasn't made more in England. I mean, he can land a ball on a pin from corners, why not this accurate in front taing em and bang in goals etc

highkick05
highkick05
Legend

JoyfulPenguin - 24 Sep 2017 2:35 AM
highkick05 - 24 Sep 2017 2:33 AM

Cheers bud

this one looks ok link

JoyfulPenguin
JoyfulPenguin
Rising Star

highkick05 - 24 Sep 2017 3:02 AM
JoyfulPenguin - 24 Sep 2017 2:35 AM

this one looks ok link

Legend
playmaker11
playmaker11
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

By now, American Samoa must have realised that Australias 22-0 win over Tonga two days earlier was no fluke.

highkick05
highkick05
Legend

Juric earns a penalty, taken down by the shirt in the box after collecting the ball. The turn after collecting left his defender with no choice realy

Goal Juric - well taken stutter step faked the goalie left and smashed it in the top right corner

Edited
7 Years Ago by highkick05
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Good to see Juric scoring again. Just insane how well each person is playing at club level. We're a team of individuals it appears and Ange isn't helping. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Juric scores a second. What a great weekend. Suddenly the other side make it 3:2. Can Juric get a 3rd? 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

johnszasz - 24 Sep 2017 3:48 AM
Good to see Juric scoring again. Just insane how well each person is playing at club level. We're a team of individuals it appears and Ange isn't helping. 

not really we play better as a team than as individuals
we have 19 points with 3 players playing regularly in the big 5 and a bunch of players doing well in 2nd teirs. A huge improvement from recent times no doubt. But Japan have how many big 5 regulars? 10? And they got 21 points

Asia is difficult partly because away trips to the middle east are tricky (and thai have always been a banana peal for us)
playmaker11
playmaker11
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

lol Breda leading 1-0.  Poor defending, not much Jones could do. Birighitti has been solid.

By now, American Samoa must have realised that Australias 22-0 win over Tonga two days earlier was no fluke.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Goodwin and Dougall starting. Excellent. Really pushing through now. 

NAC take the lead. Jones and Birighitti facing each other. My app has some bald black dude as Birighitti's photo. Cracks me up every time. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

johnszasz - 24 Sep 2017 4:22 AM
Goodwin and Dougall starting. Excellent. Really pushing through now. 

NAC take the lead. Jones and Birighitti facing each other. My app has some bald black dude as Birighitti's photo. Cracks me up every time. 

im surprised dougall isnt picked for the roos given the last 2 games i watched

All the talk has been craig goodwin but he is behind dougall imo
playmaker11
playmaker11
Legend

Wow Birighitti... saved pen. Still leading 1-0.  Vid: https://twitter.com/DutchGoalsAMore/status/911671779546030081

Massive mistake by Jones. 2-0

Edited
7 Years Ago by playmaker11
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

go birrighitti
he is strong on the ball too

so mabil returns from suspension on the bench against benfica

benfica are probably as good as some of the better teams in the big 5
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Birighitti easily in our top 3. He'll make the cut. Maybe Langerak might miss out as he's not playing? 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

whoscored algorithms are so weird
you get +0.2 but only +0.1 for an intercept (why? Both result in a turnover)
you get no points for passes completed but lose points if a dribble is completed yet both cause turnovers.
A midfielder loses .44 for a goal conceded but doesn't gain nearly that much if the team scores. So a player in a team that wins every game 4-3 is rated lower than the same player in a team that draws every game 0-0
A player that can't pass 5 meters but tackles like crazy will be the best player in europe

in any case their raw stats are useful
Edited
7 Years Ago by grazorblade
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

grazorblade - 24 Sep 2017 4:20 AM
johnszasz - 24 Sep 2017 3:48 AM

not really we play better as a team than as individuals
we have 19 points with 3 players playing regularly in the big 5 and a bunch of players doing well in 2nd teirs. A huge improvement from recent times no doubt. But Japan have how many big 5 regulars? 10? And they got 21 points

Asia is difficult partly because away trips to the middle east are tricky (and thai have always been a banana peal for us)

Definitely true. Japan would be expected to be even higher. We only missed out on goal difference. I say every game has its own 90mins. 

Sometimes we play brilliantly as a unit and other times I shake my head. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search