The Aussies Abroad Thread

The Aussies Abroad Thread

Author
Voice ofReason
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
thupercoach wrote:
canehdrian13 wrote:
Roar_Brisbane wrote:
Quote:
Former Sydney FC midfielder Nicky Carle played 90 minutes in Baniyas' 2-0 win over Ittihad Kalba in the UAE ProLeague.

El Canguro, Richard Porta, played a full match & scored two goals in Dubai's 3-2 win over Al Sha'ab in the UAE ProLeague.

Joel Griffiths came on in the 57th minute in Shanghai Shenhua's 2-1 home win over Henan Jianye in the Chinese Super league.

So what - from the stats page I found its 7 goals in 11 games (i'm not sure if thats including the overnight game - might make it 9 goals in 12, or may already be included).

Doesn't mean he deserves a Socceroos call up - he doesn't have a 'strayan name, like Thompson or Carney. He's also played too many games this last year to deserve a call up.
Because there are no Socceroos with wog names...

That's why we give them shortened nicknames like Og, and Bresh. Hide their ethnicity;)
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

[youtube]V9XYXuQy1h8[/youtube]

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

Ali07
Ali07
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Cooly slotted in by Babalj.

Also, good to hear that Porta is scoring. Hasn't faired well OS in the past.
canehdrian13
canehdrian13
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

thupercoach wrote:
canehdrian13 wrote:
Roar_Brisbane wrote:
Quote:
Former Sydney FC midfielder Nicky Carle played 90 minutes in Baniyas' 2-0 win over Ittihad Kalba in the UAE ProLeague.

El Canguro, Richard Porta, played a full match & scored two goals in Dubai's 3-2 win over Al Sha'ab in the UAE ProLeague.

Joel Griffiths came on in the 57th minute in Shanghai Shenhua's 2-1 home win over Henan Jianye in the Chinese Super league.

So what - from the stats page I found its 7 goals in 11 games (i'm not sure if thats including the overnight game - might make it 9 goals in 12, or may already be included).

Doesn't mean he deserves a Socceroos call up - he doesn't have a 'strayan name, like Thompson or Carney. He's also played too many games this last year to deserve a call up.

Never said there were none, however the oldies who are being kept around all seem to have anglo surnames, chosen ahead of a variety of alternatives.

eg. North, Carney, Thompson, Neill getting selected over eg. Zullo, Sarota, Porta, Babalj, Rukavytsa. I'm not saying its racism, but I do get the distinct impression they want to keep a certain Anglo element in the team - in order to diffuse from the view 'Sokkah is Wogball'.

After all, the biggest knock i've heard of Porta the last years is 'does he speak English, he's not Aussie enough'.

Seems to be the exact same double standard applied to any other mixed culture Australian (eg. Gulum), as opposed to any half English player who may have been born here and not back since, who nobody ever disputes.

Edited by canehdrian13: 30/9/2012 08:13:27 PM
Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators
canehdrian13 wrote:
thupercoach wrote:
canehdrian13 wrote:
Roar_Brisbane wrote:
Quote:

Never said there were none, however the oldies who are being kept around all seem to have anglo surnames, chosen ahead of a variety of alternatives.

eg. North, Carney, Thompson, Neill getting selected over eg. Zullo, Sarota, Porta, Babalj, Rukavytsa. I'm not saying its racism, but I do get the distinct impression they want to keep a certain Anglo element in the team - in order to diffuse from the view 'Sokkah is Wogball'.

After all, the biggest knock i've heard of Porta the last years is 'does he speak English, he's not Aussie enough'.

Seems to be the exact same double standard applied to any other mixed culture Australian (eg. Gulum), as opposed to any half English player who may have been born here and not back since, who nobody ever disputes.

Leckie, Davidson, McGowan, Herd, Lowry, Oar, Schwarzer, Kruse, Bresciano...do these players support or disprove your claim.

Edited by Joffa: 30/9/2012 08:23:46 PM
sethman75
sethman75
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

Who cares how good they are playing atm because we know what HO is going to do right?

Carney, Archie, Jedinak, North will be the first names on the list even though they don't play.

That carnt is setting us back 10 years.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Ruka live now vs Wolfsburg, playing up front. Holman playing now vs West Brom
moofa
moofa
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

anyone watch ruka's game, seems he got the full 90 and they won 2-0, no goals or assists but I am guessing it was mot a bad performance
Proud2BeCanberran
Proud2BeCanberran
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

According to the Aston Villa forum, it seems as though Holman is the overwhelming choice for Man of the Match. He had two wonderful strikes that nearly found the back of the net. If the first shot went in it would have easily been contender for goal of the season, only for it to be tipped over the bar by Ben Foster.
thupercoach
thupercoach
World Class
World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)

Brosque, Kruse, Spiranovic, Federici, Rukavytsia, Zullo, Sarota - no, I'm pretty comfortable that NT selections are not racially based.
Voice ofReason
Voice ofReason
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

The latest update from overnight http://osaussies.com/sunday-wrap/

Edited by Voice ofReason: 4/10/2012 11:08:38 AM
canehdrian13
canehdrian13
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Joffa wrote:
canehdrian13 wrote:
thupercoach wrote:
canehdrian13 wrote:
Roar_Brisbane wrote:
Quote:

Leckie, Davidson, McGowan, Herd, Lowry, Oar, Schwarzer, Kruse, Bresciano...do these players support or disprove your claim.

Edited by Joffa: 30/9/2012 08:23:46 PM

Neither support or disprove really.

As I have previously said, i'm not saying players are only being selected on their ethnicity. There are people with other ethnicities in the Socceroos and there always will be if they are among the best in the country. Hence no point discussing Schwarzer, Kruse & Bresciano.

What I am saying is that it seems clear they want an Anglo element to the team, which is why these same players older faces keep getting selected.

As for the others, they can be divided into two groups:

Players without other eligibility (that I know of - could be wrong)
Leckie - Has been injured, so not sure what he has to do with this.
Davidson - Has played part of one Socceroos game after less than 30 games in Europe, most of which in the Portuguese 2nd division. I haven't followed his career closely enough to know if he is worthy of it, but would have thought Zullo be ahead of him in the pecking order.
Oar - I don't believe he has any other ethnicity

Players with other eligibility
McGowan - Has Scottish eligibility, yet on the whole has been welcomed with open arms to the Socceroos.
Herd - More or less the same as McGowan. (only that he has started to get some flack for pulling out of the squad a few times with injury)
Lowry - Played youth for Ireland, then decided to play for the Socceroos. Also welcomed with open arms (not receiving the same treatment as Porta etc.)

None of these three players have been told 'you have to call the coach and tell them you want to play for Australia' or that they aren't Aussie enough. They haven't really been questioned about their allegiance other than Herd after pulling out 3/4 times. It is just accepted 'they're Aussie'. Can add to that Bradden Inman, Rhys Williams and the English born Neil Kilkenny.

Let us not forget, Sasa Ognenovski had to wait until being aged 30 odd to get a game for the Socceroos. This was after he made himself eligible to play for Macedonia, after being ignored for a long time by the Socceroos. This and the constant player drain to other European countries, where the players seem to be willing to play for Australia, but ignored by the FFA.

We also know for a fact, that A League players are preferred for selection for some youth Asian tournaments and not players playing in Europe, despite the fact the European players are better, more experienced and we have failed to qualify for tournaments (Olympics) because of it.

But on the whole we are talking about the 'fringe players' to the national team. The regulars have a mix of Anglo and non Anglo names. It just seems as though there is an Anglo preference in rounding out the squad and that there is a double standard regarding dual eligibility based on the other nationality of the player.

Edited by canehdrian13: 1/10/2012 09:12:58 AM
rusty
rusty
World Class
World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
That you describe North and Thompson as 'Anglo' demonstrates how intellectually unhinged you are.
canehdrian13
canehdrian13
Semi-Pro

rusty wrote:
That you describe North and Thompson as 'Anglo' demonstrates how intellectually unhinged you are.

Like it or not, their surnames are Anglo, which was stated in my original comment. That is what my reference to - I didn't feel it necessary to repeat it in my last post.

As for cheap insults, I won't enter into such pathetic rhetoric.
schimch
schimch
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Holman was outstanding for villa...he's really one of the best players they have atm and has come into his own this season after a questionable start. Definitely bodes well for Australia going forward
playmaker11
playmaker11
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Awesome to see Ruka play a full match. He was on the left wing and laid off a nice ball to a team mate which lead to a cross/goal. Holman by all accounts was outstanding.

btw, I think Wilkshire pissed this guy off a bit. CSKA went down to 10.

Edited by playmaker11: 1/10/2012 12:17:04 PM

By now, American Samoa must have realised that Australias 22-0 win over Tonga two days earlier was no fluke.

absent
absent
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=C-U4IenQMNg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DC-U4IenQMNg%26feature%3Dplayer_embedded

^^Some of the softest defending you'll ever see in a top flight match but well done Eli.
GloryPerth
GloryPerth
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

schimch wrote:
Holman was outstanding for villa...he's really one of the best players they have atm and has come into his own this season after a questionable start. Definitely bodes well for Australia going forward

Yeah Holman and Villa were always going to be a great match. For Holman, he's been seeking a step up in leagues for a while, especially the EPL and Villa are just the club as he would always be a strong chance for regular first team here, but they're big enough that they SHOULDN'T be perennial relegation strugglers, despite a dismal last season.

And for Villa - They had, still have, a slightly below par squad, but have a coach now who seeks more technical football. They also have a young team and Holman brings loads of even European level and Int level experience, aswell as extensive club. Holman is still relatively young too, entering his prime. Holman can compliment and bring experience to a midfield and wider team which is skewing ever younger, especially under this new manager. Holman is amongst the most experienced players there. Holman is a more technical player from a more technical system, at club level and internationally, and executes/performs in that system well. Holman was a McLeish signing, but it was one of the rare good things McLeish did at Villa - It's no surprise that Holman and Lambert click.

Also, again, Villa, especially in midfield, lack quality (That includes Herd, unfortunately, his play with the ball has been ordinary at times with Villa - hence some of Holger's comments) and Holman is amongst the best quality attacking midfielders they have in that squad.

Edited by gloryperth: 1/10/2012 03:37:14 PM
$200
$200
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

schimch wrote:

Holman had another pretty good game. It seems that he's quickly becoming one of the fans' favourites.

http://www.villatalk.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=73660&start=75&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

$200 wrote:
schimch wrote:

Holman had another pretty good game. It seems that he's quickly becoming one of the fans' favourites.

http://www.villatalk.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=73660&start=75&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

holman the tasmanian devil :)
Voice ofReason
Voice ofReason
Pro

Overnight action

http://osaussies.com/monday-wrap/
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Voice ofReason wrote:

I notice 442 main page doesn't have an osaussie weekend wrap this week...
Cheers
Cheers
Rising Star
Rising Star (930 reputation)Rising Star (930 reputation)Rising Star (930 reputation)Rising Star (930 reputation)Rising Star (930 reputation)Rising Star (930 reputation)Rising Star (930 reputation)Rising Star (930 reputation)Rising Star (930 reputation)Rising Star (930 reputation)Rising Star (930 reputation)

Voice ofReason wrote:

Hope Patrick Antelmi can keep up his form and get a spot in the first team.
Voice ofReason
Voice ofReason
Pro

grazorblade wrote:
Voice ofReason wrote:

I notice 442 main page doesn't have an osaussie weekend wrap this week...

Yeah I don't know about that :?
Voice ofReason
Voice ofReason
Pro

All the action for the Aussies abroad from yesterday http://osaussies.com/wednesday-wrap/
Voice ofReason
Voice ofReason
Pro

Interesting to see Devere fit and playing but not getting called up when he was meant to get a call up last time
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Voice ofReason wrote:
Interesting to see Devere fit and playing but not getting called up when he was meant to get a call up last time

:lol: It's quite clear from Holger's comments that any young player not in the current squad is not good enough. #-o
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

Roar_Brisbane wrote:
Voice ofReason wrote:

:lol: It's quite clear from Holger's comments that any young player not in the current squad is not good enough. #-o

Well for Devere to get a call up he needs to be playing every week for his club and putting in top level performances. Merely getting names as MOTM and selected for teams of the week in his competition, as well as having a good scoring record for a CB, is not anywhere near good enough. You have to be realistic about these things, Lucas Neill is obviously a far superior choic.

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

Misc
Misc
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Wilkinson getting game time at a top club too. No options at all to replace ol captain lucas.
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

General Ashnak wrote:
Roar_Brisbane wrote:
Voice ofReason wrote:

Well for Devere to get a call up he needs to be playing every week for his club and putting in top level performances. Merely getting names as MOTM and selected for teams of the week in his competition, as well as having a good scoring record for a CB, is not anywhere near good enough. You have to be realistic about these things, Lucas Neill is obviously a far superior choic.

I think it's quite obvious he plays to many balls along the ground, which doesn't suit our hoof ball game plan.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search