The Aussies Abroad Thread

The Aussies Abroad Thread

Author
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Dawson gets CB starting spot with Pocognoli on left and Davidson benched, Damn! Good Langerak is starting.
Edited
8 Years Ago by johnszasz
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Langerak starting.
Edited
8 Years Ago by jlm8695
moofa
moofa
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

Edwards on the bench
Edited
8 Years Ago by moofa
moofa
moofa
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

Williams still suspended for Fulham. Burgess starting, Taggart not fully fit yet

Edited by moofa: 16/8/2014 11:27:24 PM
Edited
8 Years Ago by moofa
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

worst start to a season in two years for osaussies

must admit im unpleasantly suprised. Things looked like they were improving from year to year
Edited
8 Years Ago by grazorblade
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)

grazorblade wrote:

must admit im unpleasantly suprised. Things looked like they were improving from year to year

It is rough but Halloran and Leckie deserved the bench spot after their lackluster openers. They'll be motivated to get it back. Amini's development has been positive and look at Brilliante. Langerak is playing a bit more too.
Edited
8 Years Ago by johnszasz
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Also bozanic and vidosic disnt make their squads

I thought the dark ages were over but now I am worried again
I hope those players at big clubs do ideed come through
Edited
socceroo_06
socceroo_06
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

grazorblade wrote:

Just out of curiosity what made you think we were out of this slump when barely any of our current crop are playing regular football at the highest level?

When 70-80% of our Socceroos starting XI are playing regular football in the top 4 leagues, then you can say we have a new golden generation.
Edited
8 Years Ago by socceroo_06
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Davidson might be brought on to defend the lead. Brunt has come off for Baird which is a little weird.

Langerak conceded in a 4:1 win but the scorer was massively offside and caught him off guard.

Edited
8 Years Ago by johnszasz
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Langerak's BVB winning 4-1 over their 3. Liga opposition, Davidson looks like he won't make it off the bench today for WBA with just a few minutes left at 2-2, Luongo starting and heavily involved in the attack according to Swindon Town's twitter, although losing 1-0 with just a few minutes left, Burgess and Williams started for Fulham, the latter subbed off at the 76th minute and also heavily involved in attack according to his club's twitter. Some promising prospects for the season.
Edited
8 Years Ago by paladisious
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

grazorblade wrote:

You're sounding a bit glass half full, the first round of the new season isn't even over in any of the biggest Euro leagues.

Kruse is back and may well get loan time, Langerak has his manager's full faith with two consecutive starts, Williams debuting for the Fulham first team, Davidson just came back from injury and is on the bench in the EPL and will surely play soon, and in half an hour Jedi will be starting as captain against Arsenal. Probably heaps more from just today that I'm forgetting about.

Plenty there to cheer about.
Edited
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Burgess playing all 90 at CB in the 1-0 loss to Millwall, singled out for praise several times in Fulham's official twitter.
Edited
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)

Are you sure it's not George Williams? Thought Ryan was suspended?
Edited
8 Years Ago by jas88
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Jedi earning his pay check against Arsenal.

Langerak played in the 1-4 win against Stuttgart Kickers.

Edited
8 Years Ago by TheSelectFew
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

jas88 wrote:
Are you sure it's not George Williams? Thought Ryan was suspended?

:oops: Seems you're right. :oops:

McDonald played the full 90 for Millwall, at least.
Edited
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

socceroo_06 wrote:
grazorblade wrote:

Just out of curiosity what made you think we were out of this slump when barely any of our current crop are playing regular football at the highest level?

When 70-80% of our Socceroos starting XI are playing regular football in the top 4 leagues, then you can say we have a new golden generation.

I don't think we have to be at golden generation level to be out of the slump though I would like us to eventually exceed that level

The thing that was frightening a lot of observers was that we had literally no one playing in decent euro leagues that wasn't going to be old by 2014 (the so called missing generation)

the last 2 even 3 seasons there has been significant progress each season for os aussies. It looks like the dark ages are over and we can gradually rebuild up to the level we were perhaps (probably) higher

this year has been the first year in 4 years where osaussies haven't seemed to take a step forward. Even if things improve dramatically in the next 10 weeks its still not the dramatic steps forward that have been taken the last four years mainly due to aussies that had broken the starting line up in decent leagues falling out of favour (and so many at once)

I'm a little more anxious than usual because

1. I didn't care what level we were at as long as we were improving
2. I would really like to win the asian cup as I think it would make a huge difference to football in australia and a really good crop of osaussies breaking through this year would have been nice
Edited
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Ryan Edwards on in the 67th minute for Reading, while Federici played all 90 in their 1-0 win.

Just incredible what a change in environment can do for a talent, hope to see much more of Edwards.
Edited
Higashi
Higashi
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Brillante on the bench for Fiorentina in their friendly against Real Madrid.
Edited
8 Years Ago by Higashi
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Higashi wrote:
Brillante on the bench for Fiorentina in their friendly against Real Madrid.

this is a positive

I would say its likely he will get some time this season even if its off the bench occasionally
Edited
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

jedinak with 9 tackles! shame about that 53% passing!
still whoscored gave him a 7.9
Edited
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

grazorblade wrote:
jedinak with 9 tackles! shame about that 53% passing!
still whoscored gave him a 7.9

The 53 would be for clearances. He made tonnes and at crucial moments.

Edited
8 Years Ago by TheSelectFew
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

i think that was brilliante with an assist hard to tell
Edited
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

hard to tell which one is brilliante so I'm assuming he is the dm (from the arial view that this stream has) who looks very good

Edited by grazorblade: 17/8/2014 06:28:19 AM
Edited
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

well the team scored a goal when he was on (from min 67 onward) and I think it was him that made the final pass. The team looked real good when he was on but I had no idea which one he was. But no one looked out of place and the quality was like a league match rather then the languid intensity of the preseason friendlies before now

he needs to grow a red afro for the benefit of fans back home that want to follow his progress :)
Edited
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Looks like bozanic is injured....thats better news than being dropped
only missing piece of the puzzle is vidosic then
Edited
Toffees_or_Roar
Toffees_or_Roar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

grazorblade wrote:
well the team scored a goal when he was on (from min 67 onward) and I think it was him that made the final pass. The team looked real good when he was on but I had no idea which one he was. But no one looked out of place and the quality was like a league match rather then the languid intensity of the preseason friendlies before now

he needs to grow a red afro for the benefit of fans back home that want to follow his progress :)
cant believe he got on the pitch , pleasantly surprised , it also great that they are playing him in his preferred position , the jets waisted this guy on the wing and RB
Edited
8 Years Ago by Toffees_or_Roar
Dan_The_Red
Dan_The_Red
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Great stuff Brillante was subbed on, surely a sign he's in the mix leading into the season opener.

Vidosic needs to overlooked for the NT. Lots of talent but nothing between the ears. Time to move on.
Edited
8 Years Ago by Dan_The_Red
u4486662
u4486662
World Class
World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)

johnszasz wrote:
grazorblade wrote:

It is rough but Halloran and Leckie deserved the bench spot after their lackluster openers. They'll be motivated to get it back. Amini's development has been positive and look at Brilliante. Langerak is playing a bit more too.

To be perfectly honest, I actually think we are in about the same position as last year, just with different players. Last year we were raving about Bozanic, Vidosic and Halloran (among a few others) making progress. Now we just have new players to look forward to take their roles. Brillante, Amini, Sainsbury, Edwards etc.

Overall though, the bulk of our national team will still be getting regular game time. Oar, Leckie, Bresh, Cahill, Jedinak, Milligan, Spira, Ryan etc.

What we have to hope for is that Davidson breaks through at WBA (early days for him but at least he's on the bench so he'll get chances) as our left back stocks are slim. For right back we have Franjic who is also very early days but wasn't in the squad for his team's match yesterday and Wilkshire, who looks like he will get 90 minutes most weeks at Feyenoord.

Crucially though, we have strengthened in areas where we lacked depth going into the world cup. At the moment we finally have three GKs getting regular game time in Europe in Ryan, Federici and Langerak (weidenfeller injured) and in defence with Sainsbury pretty assured to get 90 mins most weeks provided he can stay uninjured.
Edited
8 Years Ago by u4486662
moofa
moofa
Pro

grazorblade wrote:

here are the highlights: http://en.violachannel.tv/video-detail/items/highlights-real-madrid-1-2-fiorentina.html

He us didn't make the pass for the second goal. he is the one following up the shot if the defender kept it out. Number 25
Edited
8 Years Ago by moofa
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

i see I wonder if he was playing higher up the pitch than dm?

can you find any commentary on him
Edited
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search