Would you want Archie Thompson in the National Team if...

Would you want Archie Thompson in the National Team if...

Author
99 Problems
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Age should only ever become an issue if there is nothing else to separate the players when picking them, or it is an experimental match. There is no too old or too young, just in the best squad or not in the best squad. As GA said, it's not about incumbents having a right to be there, it's about form, but at the same time Archie's current NT form makes it impossible for him to be dropped.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Farrand93 wrote:
Many people on here hate or until recently, hated the idea of Archie Thompson in the NT, but Archie has proven to be a game changer off the bench and currently has 3 goals in his last 3 games for Australia. Age is clearly the main factor and form was also a factor last season, but it's clear that he can do 'a job' for the national team right now. So here's the question:

If Archie was to score 1 goal every 3 games (On average) from now until the World Cup, would you take him in the squad?

If not, what would it take for Archie to prove his worth in the National Team? Or does he have no place at all, no matter what he can produce?

Edited by farrand93: 8/11/2012 08:14:24 AM

Archie to me fits the role of scapegoat ATM from fans looking to vilify a player. He is similar to Jade North in the eyes of the fans.

Brett Holman fulfilled this role a few years ago.

Archie is a great combination player in the attacking third. His off the ball movement, and, passing and moving in attacking combination play is excellent. McDonald is pretty good at this too, but can't beat players like Archie can.

Weird isn't it? The guy has scored 3 goals in 3 goal games for Australia, but has scored 1 in 14 for Victory! He doesn't seem to be losing form/ability like other players of his age.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
STFA_Striker wrote:

Are you going to try and tell me that archie played well last season and deserved his recall to the international fold?

Edited by stfa_striker: 8/11/2012 11:28:06 AM

He was involved in a lot of effective combination play that resulted in goals, even if he was a little profligate with his scoring chances.

Osieck has also stated that Archie doesn't seem to need time, like most other players, to get into the game.

We also don't see the team train on a regular basis either to evaluate how players are performing in camp, or fitting into the team in general and follow different game plans.
Ali07
Ali07
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

robstazzz wrote:
To answer the question of the thread if Archie was scoring goals and assisting in the A-League even at 34 i wouldnt mind having him on the bench for the Socceroos.

Doing half of that. Fluffing chances, but has at least 3 assists to his name in 4 HAL matches. Could've had 4 assists, as his cross lead to the Rojas goal against Adelaide. Don't think that would lead to an assist stat...as before it made it to Rojas the cross hit Boogaard and then the cross bar.

All that cross comes down to in the end is a dangerous ball. :lol:

robstazzz wrote:
Having said that we already know what Archie can do so i find it very sill by Holger to select him in the next friendly when we have players like Ruka,Leckie,Babalj miss out because of Archie.

And yet, now all 4 of them are in the squad to take on South Korea. Time for Ruka to actually perform and fingers crossed that we get to see Leckie and Babalj hit the pitch.

robstazzz wrote:
As for people saying if Archie wasnt in the team and scored those 3 goals where would we be now in the qualifiers i could easily say would Archie have that record of Oar hadnt done the hard work and sent in a pin point cross for him.

And I could easily say, would Oar's cross looked so pin point if Archie hadn't actually made the run to get in between the two CBs? Beautiful cross, but the run would've meant it was a nothing ball. Just like Archie's run wouldn't have of been useful if there was no cross.

6 of one, half dozen of the other.

robstazzz wrote:
In my opinion Archie is not good enough on current club form to get selected and its club form that counts because you cant compare national team form with young promising players who havnt yet been selected to play for their country.

Obviously not watching him actually playing for MV.

Edited by Ali07: 9/11/2012 01:50:09 PM
ozboy
ozboy
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Single handedly destroyed Sydney last night.
One of the best individual performances I can recall from any A League player.
Crusader
Crusader
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)

sobkowski wrote:
Joffa wrote:
ozboy wrote:
Farrand93 wrote:
ozboy wrote:
Farrand93 wrote:
If Archie was to score 1 goal every 3 games (On average) from now until the World Cup, would you take him in the squad?

Which, if you allow for minutes on the park, is at least the equivalent of 1 or 2 goals per FULL game.
Which Australian has this strike rate?

Didn't think so :oops:

umm.... Archie is?

:oops:

A top quality striker scores a goal once every two games for his nation, FFS.

Archie has 24 goals from 41 games, does that make him a top striker?

Edited by Joffa: 8/11/2012 10:40:43 AM

Didn't he score 13 of them against American Samoa in 2001?

That's a quadruple hat trick, plus one.
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Crusader wrote:
sobkowski wrote:
Joffa wrote:
ozboy wrote:
Farrand93 wrote:
ozboy wrote:
Farrand93 wrote:

Which, if you allow for minutes on the park, is at least the equivalent of 1 or 2 goals per FULL game.

umm.... Archie is?

Thanks for that.
stefcep
stefcep
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

This season I think he's played the best I've seen him play. But he's been a winger and thats what I've always seen him as. His finishing can be very erratic, but as a winger he's been good.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Crusader wrote:
sobkowski wrote:
Joffa wrote:
ozboy wrote:
Farrand93 wrote:
ozboy wrote:
Farrand93 wrote:

umm.... Archie is?

Now I get to post this!

Dark Paladin
Dark Paladin
Amateur
Amateur (604 reputation)Amateur (604 reputation)Amateur (604 reputation)Amateur (604 reputation)Amateur (604 reputation)Amateur (604 reputation)Amateur (604 reputation)Amateur (604 reputation)Amateur (604 reputation)Amateur (604 reputation)Amateur (604 reputation)

^ LOL

I sure miss Cup Fever...
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Was writing up a quiz for the participants to name 6 English national team players born abroad. Could name a few foreign born Roos but was very surprised and wouldn't have named Thompson who was in fact born in NZ.
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

johnszasz - 20 Jan 2021 3:43 AM
Was writing up a quiz for the participants to name 6 English national team players born abroad. Could name a few foreign born Roos but was very surprised and wouldn't have named Thompson who was in fact born in NZ.

He was actually wanted by the NZ coach before Australia selected him. He waited thinking he'd get the Aussie call up, which he did. I believe that he was also eligible through his mother for an Island nation, who wanted him as well. He made the right choice!
charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Footballking55 - 20 Jan 2021 8:19 AM
johnszasz - 20 Jan 2021 3:43 AM

He was actually wanted by the NZ coach before Australia selected him. He waited thinking he'd get the Aussie call up, which he did. I believe that he was also eligible through his mother for an Island nation, who wanted him as well. He made the right choice!

PNG
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

charlied - 20 Jan 2021 8:50 AM
Footballking55 - 20 Jan 2021 8:19 AM

PNG

Cheers, thanks.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search