RIP

Author
Condemned666
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
What about that scene in the jail cell with Joaquin Phoenix on the Master?

Lots of loud swearing in that scene!

afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Benjamin wrote:
Sad that a great talent has gone so young... But... (forgive me for being blunt)... I've always been of the opinion that anyone who dies doing drugs isn't deserving of anyone's sympathy. Much sympathy for the family he's left behind.

Edited by Benjamin: 3/2/2014 10:02:19 AM

Agree entirely. Hoffman had been on and off the wagon for years. The moment I head he was dead I figured it was an OD. Great actor, but a junkie is a junkie.

Can't say I'm surprised the DT showed their usual lack of class though.
thupercoach
thupercoach
World Class
World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)

Wonderful character actor. RIP.
T-UNIT
T-UNIT
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Benjamin wrote:
Sad that a great talent has gone so young... But... (forgive me for being blunt)... I've always been of the opinion that anyone who dies doing drugs isn't deserving of anyone's sympathy. Much sympathy for the family he's left behind.

x2
T-UNIT
T-UNIT
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Looks like your typical family man. Surprised he was a druggo. Ohh well.
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

WTF is going to happen in the Hunger Games?! He plays one of the man characters in the 3rd film!

Has it been filmed yet, or are they just going to have to rework it?
Heineken
Heineken
Legend
Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)

T-UNIT wrote:
Looks like your typical family man. Surprised he was a druggo. Ohh well.

WOLLONGONG WOLVES FOR A-LEAGUE EXPANSION!

sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

Eastern Glory wrote:
WTF is going to happen in the Hunger Games?! He plays one of the man characters in the 3rd film!

Has it been filmed yet, or are they just going to have to rework it?

He apparently had only a week left of shooting left on Part 2 and apparently his death won't mean any delay in the release of either film
notorganic
notorganic
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

pv4 wrote:
notorganic wrote:
Benjamin wrote:

I'm more of the opinion that this applies to all death, not just selfish, self destructive death.

Couldn't help but double-take at this one.. you're saying anyone that dies in any way does not deserve sympathy (but their family still does)?

Dead people don't care that they are dead. The ones left behind do.
notorganic
notorganic
Legend

Eastern Glory wrote:
WTF is going to happen in the Hunger Games?!

Posthumous best supporting actor Oscar
thupercoach
thupercoach
World Class
World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)

A16Man wrote:
Benjamin wrote:

Agreed.
I think that's harsh. I think we could spare a bit of sympathy for a bloke who couldn't get on top of his addiction.
marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Heroin is quite clearly the most dangerous addiction

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

Heineken
Heineken
Legend
Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)

marconi101 wrote:

Believe it or not, it's not. Alcohol and gambling I would say are the top two. Heroin I'd say is in a 2-way fight at the moment with Meth.

notorganic
notorganic
Legend

Krokodil beats all.
Heineken
Heineken
Legend

notorganic wrote:
Krokodil beats all.

The rise of Krokodil is quite concerning. Now especially that's it's gaining popularity in America.

marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Heineken wrote:
marconi101 wrote:

Believe it or not, it's not. Alcohol and gambling I would say are the top two. Heroin I'd say is in a 2-way fight at the moment with Meth.

*If it killed Jim Morrison it's not to be trifled with

[size=2]*fanboy[/size]

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
notorganic wrote:
pv4 wrote:
notorganic wrote:
Benjamin wrote:

I'm more of the opinion that this applies to all death, not just selfish, self destructive death.

Couldn't help but double-take at this one.. you're saying anyone that dies in any way does not deserve sympathy (but their family still does)?

IMO that's a pretty awful way of looking at it.
notorganic
notorganic
Legend

pv4 wrote:
notorganic wrote:
pv4 wrote:
notorganic wrote:
Benjamin wrote:

Why?
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

notorganic wrote:
pv4 wrote:
notorganic wrote:
pv4 wrote:
notorganic wrote:
Benjamin wrote:

Why?

I genuinely can't believe you can't see it.

Let's take a hypothetical scenario: 4 year old girl runs onto the road, trips over, is run over. Your view on this is you just forget the little girl whatsoever. No thoughts of "that poor thing, she had so long to live and was taken too soon. An accident has prevented that girl from living her full life. Etc" and all you think (as you've indicated in the above posts) is "those poor parents. Their child was taken from them way too young. I feel no feelings for the girl herself, because she is dead and therefore does not care what I think".

You can't see how disgusting that view is?
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Key difference is that the little girl wasn't dancing in traffic on a regular basis, inviting the hit. Hoffman was.
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

notorganic wrote:
Benjamin wrote:

Can't buy into that one. Someone who dies through natural causes, at an early age, is deserving of sympathy. Someone who dies doing 'the right thing' definitely deserves sympathy. Paul Walker or Philip Seymour Hoffman, doing something stupid and not surviving, no sympathy.
pv4
pv4
Legend

Benjamin wrote:
Key difference is that the little girl wasn't dancing in traffic on a regular basis, inviting the hit. Hoffman was.

I agree

I was using the example to highlight how disgusting I thought notor's views on death in general, not just "Hoffman-style" death, is. I'm in total agreeance with you Benj
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend

Notor, if your daughter was kidnapped, tortured and killed tomorrow, and a friend of yours said that they felt sorry for her. Would you really be in a position to disagree with what they're saying?

IMO, it's emotionally healthy to express sympathy and so why not express it in cases of death, even if it does nothing to emotionally support the victim? It does no harm really.
thupercoach
thupercoach
World Class

Heineken wrote:
notorganic wrote:
Krokodil beats all.

The rise of Krokodil is quite concerning. Now especially that's it's gaining popularity in America.
Just looked it up. Never heard of till now. Is it getting big here?
thupercoach
thupercoach
World Class

pv4 wrote:
Benjamin wrote:

I agree

I was using the example to highlight how disgusting I thought notor's views on death in general, not just "Hoffman-style" death, is. I'm in total agreeance with you Benj
The nature of addiction is such that he was unable to control his dancing in traffic.

I think that still deserves sympathy.

Edited by thupercoach: 4/2/2014 10:41:21 AM
pv4
pv4
Legend

thupercoach wrote:
pv4 wrote:
Benjamin wrote:

I agree

The nature of addiction is such that he was unable to control his dancing in traffic.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of feeling completely sympathetic towards people addicted to things that are or were totally in their control. Particularly movie stars with drugs. There are definately exceptions, but for the most part I can't help but think they deserve it. I do feel somewhat sympathetic, but moreso I just feel like they got what was brought onto them by themselves.
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
My take on it is it was incredibly selfish of him and he can only have himself to blame for his death, but this doesn't mean that I dont have sympathy for the fact he got addicted in the first place and couldnt beat it.
Alex-S
Alex-S
Amateur
Amateur (548 reputation)Amateur (548 reputation)Amateur (548 reputation)Amateur (548 reputation)Amateur (548 reputation)Amateur (548 reputation)Amateur (548 reputation)Amateur (548 reputation)Amateur (548 reputation)Amateur (548 reputation)Amateur (548 reputation)

I feel sympathetic for the fact that he had a great career, brilliant talent and a young family. On one had I think it's a waste and on the other it's a tragedy as I believe all human life is precious.

Edited by Alex-S: 4/2/2014 11:34:37 AM
thupercoach
thupercoach
World Class

pv4 wrote:
thupercoach wrote:
pv4 wrote:
Benjamin wrote:

I agree

Personally, I'm not a big fan of feeling completely sympathetic towards people addicted to things that are or were totally in their control. Particularly movie stars with drugs. There are definately exceptions, but for the most part I can't help but think they deserve it. I do feel somewhat sympathetic, but moreso I just feel like they got what was brought onto them by themselves.
I know where you're coming from but by nature addiction is outside a person's control. He may well have done countless rehab stints, who knows.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

thupercoach wrote:
pv4 wrote:
thupercoach wrote:
pv4 wrote:
Benjamin wrote:

I agree

I know where you're coming from but by nature addiction is outside a person's control. He may well have done countless rehab stints, who knows.

He's been in and out of rehab for the last decade. Addiction isn't outside a person's control. An addict makes a conscientious choice to consume their vice. Like...no shit, they've never heard anything bad about heroin before and just thought they'd give it a go?
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search