NPL- Queensland Conference

NPL- Queensland Conference

Author
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
NQF kit is very nice :)

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

General Ashnak wrote:
NQF kit is very nice :)

Just gotta track down where we can get the feckers.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

El Toro
El Toro
Rising Star
Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)

Western Pride v QAS - Sunday, 10th March @ North Ipswich Reserve, 4:00PM

The first of three matches to be played on Sunday, the early kick-off between Ipwich’s Western Pride and Queensland Academy of Sport pits former A-League stalwarts Kasey Wehrman and Josh McCloughan against each other for the first time as coaches.

Renowned for his turn of phrase on the pitch as a player, Pride Head Coach Wehrman sought to stir the waters ahead of the opening fixture, taunting his rival – albeit with his tongue firmly in cheek.

“Josh is the pretty boy of Queensland football and I’m the hard-worker,” Wehrman claimed. “That’s not to say Josh doesn’t work hard, because he does, but he’s still a pretty boy,”

Jokes aside, Wehrman stressed he was aware of the unique challenge posed by QAS, “For them it’s not always about the result but we won’t take them lightly. They are still the cream of the crop of Queensland’s young footballers.”

Asked what supporters could expect from his Pride outfit, Wehrman stressed he wants to deliver a “winning style of play.”

“Attacking football is our game,” he explained. “We will strive to be positive in attack and to score as many goals as we can; and while that can sometimes open you up defensively we’re confident we can score more goals than our opponents.”

A key focus of the NPL is the youth development pathway and it’s a responsibility QAS Head Coach McCloughin is well aware of as he prepares his young charges for the season ahead.

“The whole idea of the Academy programme is to expose as many of the youngsters to this level of competitive football,” McCloughan explained.

“We’ve lost three or four players from last year, but they’ve gone on to bigger and better things and that’s what the Academy program is all about.”

“We have some exciting prospects coming through but the bottom line is when you’re playing 16 and 17 year olds against men you are going to have your good days and your not-so-good days.”

But McCloughan was quick to add, “We’ll certainly be competitive though, there’s no doubt about that. The boys are definitely looking forward to the it.”

And what does the former Brisbane Roar defender think about being labelled a pretty boy? “I don’t know where he’s getting that from to be honest but Kasey should know by now that the akubra and RM Williams look have no place on the football field. They belong in the cow paddock.”

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-9385-0-0-0&sID=269940&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=22596833
El Toro
El Toro
Rising Star
Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)

Read somewhere else that Kasey Wehrmann still packs his boots so if things turn to shit he may just inject himself...
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

El Toro wrote:
Read somewhere else that Kasey Wehrmann still packs his boots so if things turn to shit he may just inject himself...

Yeah Edds is the same, I see no problem with it really, gives the kids that extra bit to learn from on the pitch.

-PB

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

paulbagzFC wrote:
El Toro wrote:

Yeah Edds is the same, I see no problem with it really, gives the kids that extra bit to learn from on the pitch.

-PB

haha thats awesome! "Get out of here cnuts! I'll show you fcukheads how it's done!"

Sounds like something Wehrmann would say. :lol: :-"

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Brisbane City v Olympic

8:15pm Spencer Park

Guessing there will be pizzas. God I'd kill for pizza right now. :(

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

...and just as I post that. They posted they will have pizzas. Woodfire pizzas. =p~

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

TheSelectFew wrote:
...and just as I post that. They posted they will have pizzas. Woodfire pizzas. =p~

Hahaha oh nooeessssssssssssssss.

-PB

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

paulbagzFC wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:

Hahaha oh nooeessssssssssssssss.

-PB

Would travel to Brisbane for Italian pizza/10

GCU - Brisbane Branch
GCU - Brisbane Branch
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)

Opening day! Hooray!

I think there will be a great crowd at Spencer Park tonight for the first ever game of NPL Qld. Hopefully that's reflected around the state this weekend.

Good luck to players, staff and supporters for a big season ahead.

C'MON STRIKERS! \:d/

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

GCU - Brisbane Branch wrote:
Opening day! Hooray!

I think there will be a great crowd at Spencer Park tonight for the first ever game of NPL Qld. Hopefully that's reflected around the state this weekend.

Good luck to players, staff and supporters for a big season ahead.

C'MON STRIKERS! \:d/

Will there be an active?

Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Olympic up 2-0 already. Goals from Ingham and Howell. On a side note Matt Mundy will be a great pick up for Olympic.
KenGooner_GCU
KenGooner_GCU
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Roar_Brisbane wrote:
Olympic up 2-0 already. Goals from Ingham and Howell. On a side note Matt Mundy will be a great pick up for Olympic.

6-2 full time in Olympic's favour.

Hello

Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

KenGooner_GCU wrote:
Roar_Brisbane wrote:

6-2 full time in Olympic's favour.

Quite embarrassing. Thought Olympic would do well but not by that much.
GCU - Brisbane Branch
GCU - Brisbane Branch
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)

From what I've read crowd was approx 1,500 which is a very solid turnout especially considering the weather.

Today is a big one for two famous Aussie clubs. The Fury make their return to football and I'm assuming there'll be quite a few from Townsville make the drive up to Cairns for their game vs FNQ. And for the very first time in its history the Brisbane Strikers will be fielding competitive junior teams.

switters
switters
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

will their be any video footage of the game or highlights?
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend

Quote:
Here we go, here we go - NPL kicks off in style

Over 1200 members of the Queensland football family turned out at Spencer Park on Friday night as Brisbane City played host to Olympic FC on a hugely successful opening night for the National Premier Leagues in Brisbane.

Olympic took the honours 6-2 in the feature match, with former Brisbane Roar striker Tim Smits scoring a double for the Yeronga-based club as well as earning the penalty that sealed the result for the visitors.

Luke Howell and Jai Ingham opened the scoring before goals either side of half-time to Eric Frazier levelled terms for City. However, the more experienced Olympic side overran their hosts in the final twenty minutes to net four further goals.

Olympic skipper Danny Byrne (pictured) also netted a brace in his first match wearing the captain’s arm band, however, he also found time to exemplify the inclusiveness of the NPL concept by coaching the U12’s in the curtain raiser fixture – a game that City took out 3-0 before the bumper Spencer Park crowd.

“It’s one of the biggest crowds the boys will play in front of this season and they were all very excited,” Byrne said of his under-12's post-game.

“The tradition of City against Olympic, it’s a big game no matter what level is playing and both clubs have done themselves proud in the two matches tonight.”

“I saw most of my boys and the City boys stay to watch the seniors and anything that keeps the kids interested and involved is good for the future of the game.”

Byrne also conceded his two goal haul might give him a touch more authority amongst his young charges. “Hopefully they’ll listen to me just that bit more now,” he joked.

Speaking about the seniors, Byrne called it a “gritty performance.”

“It was a lovely pitch but not the best weather with the rain. We scored two early goals and City did well to come back, but it shows the determination of our lads and how strong our side is this year and the scores a credit to us.”

The evening also featured a launch featuring representatives from Football Federation Australia, Football Queenslan and the twelve National Premier Leagues clubs. A throng of football media personalities were also in attendance as well as Brisbane Roar players Thomas Broich and James Meyer.

Prior to kick-off players from all the NPL clubs were presented to the crowd in their full playing kits.

Football Queensland President Dennis O’Brien spoke glowingly of the future of the NPL, “The NPL is important for everyone in Queensland – no one person owns the game, but we are all responsible for it.”

“This is a FFA initiative and Queensland has in many ways lead the way,” O’Brien explained. “There’s a long way to go though, so we need all your support.”

“There are still some doubters out there and as much as (administrators) can do it also the responsibility of the NPL clubs to work with their communities to make sure the doubters understand that this competition is here to stay and here to improve football right across Australia.”

Brisbane City Director Kevin Booker was eager to point out his club’s support of the NPL competition and it’s aim of restoring the glory to the country’s iconic football clubs such as City and Olympic.

“We’ve had a 1.2 million dollar upgrade to our facility and there’s a lot of excitement about the NPL. It’s finally here and people are supporting it in droves.”

“A number of our older members have been in contact with us waxing lyrical about how it’s great to see the old girl back to its glory days.”

“There’s a lot of excitement about where we’re going and the first steps we are taking on this journey.”

“One of the great things about the NPL is that we are going to see that club v club mentality – we’re going to have under-12’s to seniors playing every weekend. That will bring more people to the sport and make the game more attainable to the community.”

One of those in attendance was former Fiji international Sam Dean, who took time off work to watch his son Shaquille take the field for Olympic in the under-12’s.

“For your kid you’ll do anything. If I missed the first game, I mean how would he feel if his dad wasn’t here to watch?” Dean explained.

“Also, I just love to see the kids play. One of the boys tonight performed a bicycle kick – that’s something I couldn’t do at that age.”

Dean was well aware of the elite player pathway the NPL provides and summed up the competition’s development mantra: “These kids are clearly going to be the future of the A-League clubs and the Socceroos.”

The opening round continues this weekend with Saturday evening featuring Far North Queensland against Northern Fury in Cairns and Central Queensland FC versus Sunshine Coast FC in Rockhampton. Three fixtures will be played on Sunday: Moreton Bay Jets host Palm Beach Sharks, Western Pride welcome Queensland Academy of Sport and Brisbane Strikers do battle with Redlands United at the famous Perry Park.

National Premier Leagues action returns to Spencer Park next Saturday when Brisbane City host the first double header of the season. Redlands United and Far North Queensland play in the early kick-off at 5PM before City play host to Brisbane Strikers at 7:30PM.
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-9385-0-0-0&sID=269940&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=22630479

KenGooner_GCU
KenGooner_GCU
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

My days, Sunshine Coast thrashed CQ 7-0 and Fury lost 4-1 to FNQ despite scoring first. Will be interesting to see how these results play out in future games, whether they even out or if the league is going to be divided by these thrashings.

Edit: Just heard Fury had their keeper sent off and conceded a penalty which made it 3-1, doesn't make it look so bad I suppose.

Edited by KenGooner_GCU: 9/3/2013 10:54:00 PM

Hello

Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend

Three hidings already.
waggzzz2
waggzzz2
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Under 14 s half time scoreboard

Western Pride Facebook page

Edited by waggzzz2: 10/3/2013 11:10:12 AM
VedranFC
VedranFC
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Any idea on how successful the Fury-FNQ match was? Hopefully there were heaps of old Fury jerseys there.

Also anyone got any video from the matches?
El Toro
El Toro
Rising Star

Went to the Western Pride v QAS match this arvo. Ended in a 2 all draw.
QAS snatched a late equaliser. A guess would be about 500 or so people there, maybe more. Nice little ground.
Judging from what I saw Palm Beach could have a field day against Pride next weekend, especially if they have pace in the front third. QAS managed to get in behind a fair bit with their quicker players. Pride tried to play the ball out from the back and had heaps of trouble doing it- many turnovers after someone tries the miracle ball after being frustrated.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

El Toro wrote:
QAS snatched a late equaliser. A guess would be about 500 or so people there, maybe more. Nice little ground.
Judging from what I saw Palm Beach could have a field day against Pride next weekend, especially if they have pace in the front third. QAS managed to get in behind a fair bit with their quicker players. Pride tried to play the ball out from the back and had heaps of trouble doing it- many turnovers after someone tries the miracle ball after being frustrated.

Good quality? Better than the old Queensland league?

Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend

El Toro wrote:

Do you know who was in the QAS side?
KenGooner_GCU
KenGooner_GCU
Pro

Palmy lost 3-2 but it was a good night and we'll be back.

Hello

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

KenGooner_GCU wrote:

Good to see you supporting your local team.

KenGooner_GCU
KenGooner_GCU
Pro

The lads were appreciative about it as well and some Moreton Bay teenies were trying to start their own little (poor) active support. In fairness at least they tried, hopefully they keep going they might be a good little group by the end of the season. Fucking nightmare to get to though.

Hello

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

KenGooner_GCU wrote:

Will see you down there in July.

-PB

KenGooner_GCU
KenGooner_GCU
Pro

paulbagzFC wrote:
KenGooner_GCU wrote:

Will see you down there in July.

-PB

F-Troop back again is it?

Hello

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search