★The Official 'FFA Cup' Thread |Matchday 1 results in OP!★

★The Official 'FFA Cup' Thread |Matchday 1 results in OP!★

Author
Cappuccino
Amateur
Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Helloworld1992 wrote:
I think A-league/State-league teams should be penalised for drawing matches by forcing them to replay the match.

Edited by helloworld1992: 15/1/2014 08:16:45 PM

Except for the Cup Final, I'd agree with replays (although E.T./pens if the replay is drawn)
Schultzy
Schultzy
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Replays will be too difficult logistically and financially I think. I'd say all games will be decided on ET and pens if need be. Which tbh I'm fine with. I think the idea of a draw being replayed would only appeal to football tragics and not the broader market.

Edited by schultzy: 15/1/2014 08:36:08 PM
GDeathe
GDeathe
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Schultzy wrote:
Replays will be too difficult logistically and financially I think. I'd say all games will be decided on ET and pens if need be. Which tbh I'm fine with. I think the idea of a draw being replayed would only appeal to football tragics and not the broader market.

Edited by schultzy: 15/1/2014 08:36:08 PM
but the FFAZOMFGWTFBBQ CUP is for the football tragics because no one else gives a shit
hotrod
hotrod
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Cappuccino wrote:
Helloworld1992 wrote:
I think A-league/State-league teams should be penalised for drawing matches by forcing them to replay the match.

Except for the Cup Final, I'd agree with replays (although E.T./pens if the replay is drawn)

Hadn't considered replays.

But the logistics will not work.

If Fox will be broadcasting, the match schedule will have been locked in and you know how much Fox love changing games. [-(

asanchez
asanchez
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

hotrod wrote:
Cappuccino wrote:
Helloworld1992 wrote:

If Fox will be broadcasting, the match schedule will have been locked in and you know how much Fox love changing games. [-(

The replays are the part of the FA Cup that I don't agree with. We dont need them in our FFA Cup, they dont exist in most domestic cup competitions around the world. The best way to do it, is to have a winner on the day every time. Plus geographically, replays will be almost impossible. Just make all A-league clubs play away from home the whole way, for every round, as nobody's gonna go to watch Victory vs Dandenong at AAMI Park. There's just no romance in that! Suburban grounds is where it's at!

hotrod
hotrod
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

asanchez wrote:
hotrod wrote:
Cappuccino wrote:
Helloworld1992 wrote:

The replays are the part of the FA Cup that I don't agree with. We dont need them in our FFA Cup, they dont exist in most domestic cup competitions around the world. The best way to do it, is to have a winner on the day every time. Plus geographically, replays will be almost impossible. Just make all A-league clubs play away from home the whole way, for every round, as nobody's gonna go to watch Victory vs Dandenong at AAMI Park. There's just no romance in that! Suburban grounds is where it's at!

That's my point of the HA basis from the QFs/SFs.

Most likely A-league teams facing off against each other.

Big crowds at each game over the two legs.

Games before that should be at the non-A-league team where possible.

Dunno what's gonna happen when you have Dandenong v NQ Fury?????

19-SU-58
19-SU-58
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
In regards to the NSW division, it will be the final 8 of the Waratah cup who get entry to the FFA CUP.

Sydney United have already automatically qualified as they won the NPL final.

i think with Victoria and why they have so little spots is because of all thats happening with the FFV, NPL and the dis-organisation by the federation etc.

Clearly this first year is a trial run to see how successful it is, and as yers go by there will be changes to the competition.

Not a Phase, Not a Trend, SYDNEY UNITED till the END! 

vincenzogold
vincenzogold
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

Surely if the FFA cup was going to happen in march we would have heard about it by now its only 1 1/2 months a way. I reckon its been put on the back burner yet again
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
vincenzogold wrote:
Surely if the FFA cup was going to happen in march we would have heard about it by now its only 1 1/2 months a way. I reckon its been put on the back burner yet again

This, and it's because of the Asian Cup, which is reasonable IMO.
The Dudist
The Dudist
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

paladisious wrote:
vincenzogold wrote:

This, and it's because of the Asian Cup, which is reasonable IMO.

According to that SMH article (http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/delays-over-qualifying-routes-among-state-bodies-thwarting-the-launch-of-ffa-cup-20140114-30sg7.html) they're finalising the broadcast deal and sponsor, and should have made all the arrangements with the states within a month.

Hopefully all will go well. If the FFA had to withhold it for another year, I'd trust their judgement. Don't wanna jump the gun like with A-League expansion. But if Gallop can make it happen, I'll be a happy chappy. :)
Gooner4life_8
Gooner4life_8
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Cappuccino wrote:
Gooner4life_8 wrote:
williamn wrote:
I agree that hosts should be decided after the draw in order to consider the viability of the stadium and choose the one that's best with preference for the suburban ground

Decide on stadium yes, but not on the host. Whoever's drawn out first should be designated as the 'home' team and play in a stadium as close as possible to wherever the home team is based. E.g. if a Tasmanian team drew any team from the mainland I'd like to think the match would be still be played down here (just moved to a ground like Aurora if need be) and not moved interstate completely.

But what if- for example -a state team from far North NSW without an appropriate stadium is drawn to host Melbourne Victory?

Then it's a direct choice between holding the game at Hunter Stadium in front of 3/4000 people (at best) vs. playing it in Melbourne in front of five or six times that amount.

As has been known to happen in the FA Cup, I'm sure the home team would always have the option of giving up home ground advantage and letting the opposition host the match if they felt it would be beneficial to all parties, but it certainly shouldn't be a case of it being decided for them.
petszk
petszk
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Schultzy wrote:

Correct on all counts.

aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro

Quote:
[size=8]Canale Cup 2014[/size]

The 2014 season will kick off this year with the first round of the Canale Cup, with the draw having been made last night at QSAC.

The Canale Cup will have added significance this year as it will provide the pathway to a place in the inaugural FFA Cup for the two finalists. And with the cup serving as the route to an FFA Cup placing, this season's competition will also feature the six Brisbane based clubs from the NPL QLD in the later rounds.

For those that don't manage to reach the latter stages of the competition, there's also a berth up for grabs in the new Champion of Champions competition being played after the conclusion of the regular season and which will feature clubs from other zones around Queensland.

So there's plenty to play for in this season's Cup which promises to provide excitement and shocks along the way, much the way it did last season with some of Brisbane's smaller clubs knocking out their more fancied higher division opponents.

Can Kangaroo Point Rovers repeat their efforts of last year where they nearly made it to the quarter finals, knocking out premier league side North Star along the way before just being thwarted by Capalaba at the death? Or Samford Rangers from Capital League 2 who reached the semi-finals and being the only side to defeat Mitchelton in all of 2013? Can Peninsula Power retain the cup and find themselves in the FFA Cup draw?

Well it all gets underway in February with the first round being played on the weekend of the 15th and 16th. The round features Capital League 4, Capital League 3 and lower finishing sides in 2013 from Capital League 2.

Here's the draw for both round 1 and round 2, with the second round being played in early March.

http://thewashingline.footballbrisbane.com.au/index.php?id=117&tx_ttnews%5Byear%5D=2014&tx_ttnews%5Bmonth%5D=01&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=244&cHash=1a3a17af742c8f5e9b36d4ebd3c410ee

williamn
williamn
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

^ so how does that work in terms of the rest of queensland, if its just the brisbane npl teams joining at the later stages.
aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro

williamn wrote:
^ so how does that work in terms of the rest of queensland, if its just the brisbane npl teams joining at the later stages.

I haven't heard anything about the rest of Queensland, but I imagine the other regions will use their own knockout comps (including the regional NPL teams) to provide the other 2 teams for the FFA Cup.

Roberts
Roberts
Rising Star
Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)

Quote:
ALeague clubs = 9 (Sorry Wellington)
Football NSW = 8
Northern NSW = 2
QLD = 4
Vic = 4
WA = 2
SA = 1
TAS = 1
ACT = 1
_____
TOTAL 32

my question is - Is the round of 32 to be drawn locally ie NSW + NSW AL Clubs to be drawn together

Also there are gaps ie QLD has 4 + BR gives you 5, Tas has 1, ACT has 1 WA has 2 plus Glory what will occur with the odd numbers
Heineken
Heineken
Legend
Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)

Schultzy wrote:
Timmo wrote:

My question would be would this be a completely open draw or will there be conditions like we have in world cup draws.

such as would A-league teams face other A-League teams in the first round.

hope its not the case.

Will the pairings be completely state based as possible to keep cost low?

Example the SA NPL qualifier plays Adelaide United in the first round etc.

If an A-league team is drawn against an NPL team I hope they play that game at the NPL's surburban ground.

I think it would be nice for a completely random draw, including first team drawn as home team.

But realistically I would like to see a random draw and the home team decided based on cost and potential crowd, facilities, etc.

Depending on the broadcaster I'm sure there will be some grounds that won't be up to scratch if being televised and will need to be played at bigger grounds.

Just thinking about NSWPL teams, most of their home grounds should be OK.

Teams like Sydney United, Bonnyrigg, Marconi, Olympic, should be all fine. I believe Marconi have some grandstand issues, but there shouldn't be too much of an issue, all they'll have to do is close off that end (Which I believe they already do for NSWPL matches).

APIA Leichhardt, (despite having a new astro-turf pitch laid) would probably have to move their games down the road to Leichhardt Oval, which isn't a big issue really. Blacktown Spartan's I'm sure could use Lilly Holmes, or even try using Centerbet Stadium (Penrith).

Sutherland could use Toyota Park (Cronulla Sharks home ground), and South Coast Wolves could use WIN Stadium.

As for even smaller clubs, playing in NSW State Leagues, 1 & 2, Illawarra Premier League, NNSWPL, etc, that make it through to the big stages, I'm sure they could work somthing out, or just sell their home games to the bigger clubs.

WOLLONGONG WOLVES FOR A-LEAGUE EXPANSION!

lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

I must be the only one struggling to muster any enthusiasm for this, much prefer a decent second tier asap.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

lukerobinho wrote:
I must be the only one struggling to muster any enthusiasm for this, much prefer a decent second tier asap.

I'm sure it comes with being an apathetic pessimistic wanker :lol:

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Schultzy
Schultzy
Pro

lukerobinho wrote:

The current/ongoing NPL set up is the closest you are going to get. It is just too expensive in an expansive country like ours to make it viable.

Heineken wrote:
Schultzy wrote:
Timmo wrote:

My question would be would this be a completely open draw or will there be conditions like we have in world cup draws.

hope its not the case.

If an A-league team is drawn against an NPL team I hope they play that game at the NPL's surburban ground.

I think it would be nice for a completely random draw, including first team drawn as home team.

But realistically I would like to see a random draw and the home team decided based on cost and potential crowd, facilities, etc.

Depending on the broadcaster I'm sure there will be some grounds that won't be up to scratch if being televised and will need to be played at bigger grounds.

Teams like Sydney United, Bonnyrigg, Marconi, Olympic, should be all fine. I believe Marconi have some grandstand issues, but there shouldn't be too much of an issue, all they'll have to do is close off that end (Which I believe they already do for NSWPL matches).

APIA Leichhardt, (despite having a new astro-turf pitch laid) would probably have to move their games down the road to Leichhardt Oval, which isn't a big issue really. Blacktown Spartan's I'm sure could use Lilly Holmes, or even try using Centerbet Stadium (Penrith).

Sutherland could use Toyota Park (Cronulla Sharks home ground), and South Coast Wolves could use WIN Stadium.

As for even smaller clubs, playing in NSW State Leagues, 1 & 2, Illawarra Premier League, NNSWPL, etc, that make it through to the big stages, I'm sure they could work somthing out, or just sell their home games to the bigger clubs.

I would say that all games in SA would be played at Hindmarsh.
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Roberts wrote:

Quote:
ALeague clubs = 9 (Sorry Wellington)
Football NSW = 8
Northern NSW = 2
QLD = 4
Vic = 4
WA = 2
SA = 1
TAS = 1
ACT = 1
_____
TOTAL 32

my question is - Is the round of 32 to be drawn locally ie NSW + NSW AL Clubs to be drawn together

Also there are gaps ie QLD has 4 + BR gives you 5, Tas has 1, ACT has 1 WA has 2 plus Glory what will occur with the odd numbers

Regions with an odd number of teams could have their last teams pooled. i.e. TAS, ACT, WA and QLD grouped. FFA funding 2 sets of flights better than 16.
Roberts
Roberts
Rising Star
Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)Rising Star (750 reputation)

Quote:
Regions with an odd number of teams could have their last teams pooled. i.e. TAS, ACT, WA and QLD grouped. FFA funding 2 sets of flights better than 16.

I totally agree with this :)

aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro

Roberts wrote:
Quote:

I totally agree with this :)

I don't. I want a completely random draw from the last 32 onwards.

Juve_Leo
Juve_Leo
Hacker
Hacker (411 reputation)Hacker (411 reputation)Hacker (411 reputation)Hacker (411 reputation)Hacker (411 reputation)Hacker (411 reputation)Hacker (411 reputation)Hacker (411 reputation)Hacker (411 reputation)Hacker (411 reputation)Hacker (411 reputation)

Random draw otherwise you lose the "chance" of a cup.
aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro

Time for an update, because all States are getting closer to knowing their representatives.

Now that the A-League Semi-Finalists are known, Pot A and B for the FFA Cup draw are also confirmed:

Pot A (will play a non-A-League side in the first round):
- Brisbane Roar
- Western Sydney Wanderers
- Central Coast Mariners
- Melbourne Victory

Pot B (will play another A-League side in the first round):
- Sydney FC
- Adelaide United
- Newcastle Jets
- Wellington Phoenix
- Perth Glory
- Melbourne Heart

aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro

Time for another update. The focus has been on A-League Finals, ACL games, and lead up to the World Cup. But in the background the FFA Cup qualifying games have continued, and from the original 631 clubs involved (including A-League clubs) there are now just 62 who can still win it:

A16Man
A16Man
World Class
World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)

lukerobinho wrote:

If you haven't already, go out and watch a local state league qualifier. It'll get you enthused.
Timmo
Timmo
Pro
Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)

Schultzy wrote:
lukerobinho wrote:

The current/ongoing NPL set up is the closest you are going to get. It is just too expensive in an expansive country like ours to make it viable.

Heineken wrote:
Schultzy wrote:
Timmo wrote:

hope its not the case.

I would say that all games in SA would be played at Hindmarsh.

Or Santos stadium if its a non televised match.
aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro

A16Man wrote:
lukerobinho wrote:

If you haven't already, go out and watch a local state league qualifier. It'll get you enthused.

Especially the latter stage games, like those in NSW this week. You can't help but get into it when there's such a big prize on offer.

GDeathe
GDeathe
Pro

Juve_Leo wrote:
Random draw otherwise you lose the "chance" of a cup.
march madness says no
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search