Climate change: Fact or Fiction?

Climate change: Fact or Fiction?

Author
ricecrackers
Pro
Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Munrubenmuz wrote:
ricecrackers wrote:

and around and round we go :roll:

Just answer the question, you are embarrassing yourself.

Who has the most to gain with maintaining the status quo?

Let's put some figures on the scales here to help you. $4.7 billion (according to your video so a fact) to the AGW "scam" in the USA annually vs a multi-trillion dollar industry receiving anywhere from $14 to $52 billion dollars a year in the US. http://priceofoil.org/fossil-fuel-subsidies/

Why won't you answer the question?

i already told you to read what i wrote in another thread. you refused to do it. laziness must define you hence your ignorance on this matter.

the banking industry as well as the gas&oil industry stand to benefit as the proposed taxes will affect the competing coal industry the worst.

humbert
humbert
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Munrubenmuz wrote:
humbert wrote:
One shouldn't say 99 % of scientists believe proposition x is valid, therefore we should think the same. You're better served by saying, the vast majority of evidence suggests that climate change is real....

For your sake let's hope 99% of doctors don't diagnose you or someone you love with cancer.

](*,) Are you sincerely that thick?
ricecrackers
ricecrackers
Pro
Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)

humbert wrote:
Munrubenmuz wrote:
humbert wrote:
One shouldn't say 99 % of scientists believe proposition x is valid, therefore we should think the same. You're better served by saying, the vast majority of evidence suggests that climate change is real....

For your sake let's hope 99% of doctors don't diagnose you or someone you love with cancer.

i think he is
99 Problems
99 Problems
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

humbert wrote:
Munrubenmuz wrote:
99 Problems wrote:
Even if climate change isn't real, there is no major negative to taking action as if it is

Exactly. And given fossil fuels are finite (or are we going to argue that too) then, whether its done now or later, something will eventually have to be done to wean ourselves off them.

I agree re. the finality of fossil fuels. But to suggest there is no cost to addressing climate change is insanity.

There is definitely a large cost. But when you look at some of things governments spend money on, I would say it's an acceptable use of taxpayer money
ricecrackers
ricecrackers
Pro

oh dear
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

humbert wrote:
Munrubenmuz wrote:
humbert wrote:

If you disagree with the diagnosis of 99 out of 100 doctors and instead choose to go with the lone dissenter's opinion then it is you Sir, that are thick, not I.

I will bid you good afternoon because it is clear you are both delusional.

Member since 2008.

ricecrackers
ricecrackers
Pro

if 99 out of 100 doctors told me i was going to die,
i'd be seeing the 1 guy that was going to give me some hope
humbert
humbert
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

Munrubenmuz wrote:
humbert wrote:
Munrubenmuz wrote:
humbert wrote:

If you disagree with the diagnosis of 99 out of 100 doctors and instead choose to go with the lone dissenter's opinion then it is you Sir, that are thick, not I.

If 99% of scientists were of the opinion that coal is made entirely of fairy floss, would that make it true?
playmaker11
playmaker11
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

[youtube]OjD0e1d6GgQ[/youtube]

By now, American Samoa must have realised that Australias 22-0 win over Tonga two days earlier was no fluke.

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

ricecrackers wrote:
if 99 out of 100 doctors told me i was going to die,
i'd be seeing the 1 guy that was going to give me some hope

Just WOW! Off to the homeopathy clinic for you then.

When old folk lament the lack of critical thinking and the dumbing down of society this must be what they are talking about.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/reference/homeopathy/

Edited by munrubenmuz: 23/3/2014 03:13:22 PM

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend

humbert wrote:
Munrubenmuz wrote:
humbert wrote:
Munrubenmuz wrote:
humbert wrote:

If 99% of scientists were of the opinion that coal is made entirely of fairy floss, would that make it true?

If the proposition was backed up by mountains of evidence, it was peer reviewed, it was published in credible journals, it was experimentally replicated and confirmed, if it were statistically analysed to consider hidden biases then yes, yes I would believe that coal is made from fairy floss.

Because that is how science works.

Member since 2008.

ricecrackers
ricecrackers
Pro

today's climate change fearmongers are yesterday's flat earthers
today's chief scientist is yesterday's pope

see how this works

dissenters are ostracized and silenced by the majority as the ruling class of the majority are afraid their fraud will fall apart

all the while the head of the CSRIO sits on the board of a major international investment bank

http://www.csiro.au/Portals/About-CSIRO/Who-we-are/Executive/MeganClark.aspx

among other things...
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/csiro-denies-its-head-megan-clark-has-any-conflict-of-interest-over-carbon-store-role/story-fn59niix-1226170818106
ricecrackers
ricecrackers
Pro

Munrubenmuz wrote:
humbert wrote:
Munrubenmuz wrote:
humbert wrote:
Munrubenmuz wrote:
humbert wrote:

If the proposition was backed up by mountains of evidence, it was peer reviewed, it was published in credible journals, it was experimentally replicated and confirmed, if it were statistically analysed to consider hidden biases then yes, yes I would believe that coal is made from fairy floss.

and yet none of those things exist to prove human activity is causing global warming... or even climate change
humbert
humbert
Semi-Pro

Munrubenmuz wrote:
humbert wrote:
Munrubenmuz wrote:
humbert wrote:
Munrubenmuz wrote:
humbert wrote:

Well, yes. Say that then. The vast majority of evidence shows proposition x is true...

Otherwise, what you have is nothing more than an argument from authority.
humbert
humbert
Semi-Pro

Munrubenmuz wrote:
humbert wrote:
Munrubenmuz wrote:
humbert wrote:
Munrubenmuz wrote:
humbert wrote:

Well, yes. Say that then. The vast majority of evidence shows proposition x is true...

Otherwise, what you have is nothing more than an argument from authority.
u4486662
u4486662
World Class
World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)

Just stoking that fire a bit……..

;) ;)

http://www.skepticalscience.com/no-warming-in-16-years-advanced.htm
ricecrackers
ricecrackers
Pro

why do people keep linking to that rubbish website?

it was specifically set up to attack skeptics and independent scientists for the consumption of ignorant plebs who think the last word is the correct word

Edited by ricecrackers: 23/3/2014 04:43:45 PM
u4486662
u4486662
World Class
World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)

ricecrackers wrote:

Just stoking the fire. ;) ;)

Where do you get your info?
ricecrackers
ricecrackers
Pro

u4486662 wrote:
ricecrackers wrote:

Just stoking the fire. ;) ;)

Where do you get your info?

multiple sources over a long period of time..too many to mention
also a dose of critical thinking, understanding the true motivations of who really benefits, the conflicts of interest involved, reading the actual data, multiple scientific reports, seeing the inconsistencies in logic by the warmist promoters, seeing the corruption exposed by the warmist promoters, knowing whats fact and whats clearly propaganda and seeing the whole thing fall apart over the past 15 years

oh and listening to Al Gore and realising how much of an idiot he really is. he got a 'D' in Ravelle's class. the only science he took at college :lol: and thats not D for Distinction, thats D as in A, B, C, D

I have science degree from a long time ago too if that's worth anything, only because some have labeled me anti science on this forum
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
ricecrackers wrote:
multiple sources over a long period of time..too many to mention

ricecrackers
ricecrackers
Pro

not to forget, the onus of proof is on the warmists, not the skeptics
u4486662
u4486662
World Class

Does anybody here actually have a degree in climate science?

I'd be interested to know their viewpoint.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

ricecrackers wrote:

Onus of proof is on any person contending anything, which in this case is you.
marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Climate change is happening, if you don't believe in a scientific, evidence based theory you're a fucking idiot

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

ricecrackers
ricecrackers
Pro

listen to the unruly mob of witchburners
so much ignorance
carry on
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

paladisious wrote:
ricecrackers wrote:

Onus of proof is on any person contending anything, which in this case is you.

I believe climate change is happening, but the onus is clearly on the person who makes the original claim to provide proof.
ricecrackers
ricecrackers
Pro

the question is whether human activity is causing the climate to change

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

ricecrackers wrote:
listen to the unruly mob of witchburners
so much ignorance
carry on

Expecting proof for a contention = witch-hunt. Right.
chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

There is little doubt that human activity causes and is causing the climate to change. That is one of the main reasons why we are successful as a species. We manipulate the water, energy and other resource flows and patterns to create a climate in which we are comfortable living. By building anything we directly affect the local climate.
Cities "add" heat to the local environment as all the glass and concrete they are built from is not an as proficient an absorber of heat energy as the dirt, forest or marsh that they replace.

The term climate change shouldn't really be used as a heading in the context of global warming due to fossil fuels.
Higashi
Higashi
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

u4486662 wrote:
Does anybody here actually have a degree in climate science?

I'd be interested to know their viewpoint.

Don't have a degree on it but I did a course on climate change for my elective at uni. This was several years ago though so my info might not be up to date anymore.

Basically what we're taught is to counter balance the excess green house gases in the atmosphere Earth has a number of 'natural systems' in place (e.g. trees grow faster when there are higher C02 levels, microbes in the ocean absorb more carbon from the air, etc).

The real question is whether those 'natural systems' can divert the C02 we produce to the other spheres well enough to prevent climate change. And to predict this some smart guys with big computers created a model. However due to the number of variables there's basically six or seven possible outcomes predicted.

One of those outcomes says climate change won't happen. However most scientist have ruled this possiblity out due to melting polar ice caps, rising sea acidity levels, various recent extreme weather phenomenons, etc.

Another says climate change will happen no matter what we do and we're all bascially screwed.

The rest of the predicted outcomes say climate change will happen however we can limit its effect to various degrees if we act now.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search