Legal Marijuana Colorado - The 3 month Report

Legal Marijuana Colorado - The 3 month Report

Author
VedranFC
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Thought you guys might be interested in an update on the situation in Colorado since the turn of the year. Civilization has not yet broken down, and the the sky has not yet fallen according to reports!

Policy Mic wrote:
Colorado's pot sales are booming.

The state's Department of Revenue reports that marijuana retailers sold nearly $19 million in recreational weed in March, up from $14 million in February. The first three months of legal weed have netted about $7.3 million in taxes, not including medical marijuana sales taxes and licenses, which bring the number to $12.6 million. In it's first few months, Colorado could already soon be outpacing those historic first-day sales on a daily basis.

Retail marijuana sales taxes brought in $1.4 million in January, $1.43 million in February and now $1.898 million in March — a clear upward trajectory. And total marijuana tax transfers and distributions went from $2.927 million in January to $4.077 million in March. And perhaps more importantly, while it's still somewhat early, the up-trending numbers indicate that initial sales weren't simply the result of "new-toy" excitement wherein everyone was buying pot just because they could. Coloradans wanted marijuana before, and they still do now.

(Un)intended consequences: Over the same time period, crime in Denver has slightly declined, making opponents who said it would result in more trafficking seem kind of silly. It's created a modest number of jobs ranging from "budtending" and marijuana journalism to farm labor and ownership. (Weedmaps, a dispensary review site, grossed some $25 million in revenue in 2013.) And the state has even created a banking system that complies with the U.S. treasury system's guidelines, clearing up the last regulatory questions. While certain parts of the rollout, like edible cannabis regulations, have come under question, the law seems to be operating basically as intended.

Legal cannabis sales in the United States are projected to reach as high as $2.57 billion this year, split among the 21 states that allow the sale of some form of marijuana. That's up from $1.53 billion a year ago. As time goes on, the marijuana industry will grow its own stakeholders and perhaps become a political lobby in its own right.

How it'll be spent: The Colorado legislature has already formed a plan to spend $33 million of the marijuana taxes on school nurses and public education on marijuana. Even Colorado cops plan to get a chunk of the new revenue, asking for 10-15% of the proceeds for DUI enforcement and fighting diversion to other states and unlicensed sales.

The bulk of sales, however, continue to be in medical marijuana, which has been legal in Colorado since 2000 and recorded $35 million in sales in March. However, since recreational weed is more heavily taxed, it could still rapidly outpace medical marijuana in total tax dollars. In total, Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper projected in February that total Colorado marijuana sales could approach $1 billion.

Of course, sales could still slow down. But the news in Colorado is evidence that marijuana legalization can successfully generate value for both the local economy and the government.
http://www.policymic.com/articles/89165/3-months-since-legalizing-marijuana-here-s-what-colorado-looks-like
Thoughts?
Socceroofan4life
Socceroofan4life
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

Alcohol is a far worse drug than marijuana could ever be.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

I say legalize it here.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Roar #1
Roar #1
World Class
World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)

I don't understand why people get so passionate and worked up about a plant, get a life.
DB-PGFC
DB-PGFC
Amateur
Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)

Roar #1 wrote:
I don't understand why people get so passionate and worked up about a plant, get a life.

The fact that you confined the whole issue down to being 'worked up about a plant' means you literally know nothing on the issue.
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

As an occasional and formerly regular pot smoker, I'm against it. I just don't see the benefit of legalising it.

The only argument is that alcohol and a select few other legal substances are worse than it, and that's a ridiculous arguement for legalising something that has clear long and short term side affects.
VedranFC
VedranFC
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

DB-PGFC wrote:
Roar #1 wrote:

The fact that you confined the whole issue down to being 'worked up about a plant' means you literally know nothing on the issue.
This.
VedranFC
VedranFC
Pro

Eastern Glory wrote:
As an occasional and formerly regular pot smoker, I'm against it. I just don't see the benefit of legalising it.

The only argument is that alcohol and a select few other legal substances are worse than it, and that's a ridiculous arguement for legalising something that has clear long and short term side affects.
Sorry but completely have to disagree with you there. It doesn't have 'clear long and short term side affects' and even the vague links you're talking about are only in users of it 4/5 days a week. You wouldn't get drunk more than 2-3 nights a week, why would you smoke more than that?

Most of the arguments against legalizing are about people that smoke 4 times a week or more. The vast majority of users are 1-2 times per week, which has absolutely no scientific basis behind restricting that category based on effects of the mind. Instead of just banning the plant and locking up possessors, why don't we start educating people on the benefits of being irregular users in the same way we are on the irregular drink at the pub with friends.
VedranFC
VedranFC
Pro

EDIT Double Post :oops:

Edited by 4wanderer4: 14/5/2014 12:37:58 AM
SocaWho
SocaWho
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

4wanderer4 wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:

Sorry but completely have to disagree with you there. It doesn't have 'clear long and short term side affects' and even the vague links you're talking about are only in users of it 4/5 days a week. You wouldn't get drunk more than 2-3 nights a week, why would you smoke more than that?

Most of the arguments against legalizing are about people that smoke 4 times a week or more. The vast majority of users are 1-2 times per week, which has absolutely no scientific basis behind restricting that category based on effects of the mind. Instead of just banning the plant and locking up possessors, why don't we start educating people on the benefits of being irregular users in the same way we are on the irregular drink at the pub with friends.

You must have a pretty impressive bong collection...started early I take it? I bet you vote for the Greens....Looney Tunes.
DB-PGFC
DB-PGFC
Amateur
Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)

SocaWho wrote:
4wanderer4 wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:

You must have a pretty impressive bong collection...started early I take it? I bet you vote for the Greens....Looney Tunes.

Funny that.

Considering he actually can form a decent and well thought out argument while the best you can do is a mind numbingly stupid personal attack.
SocaWho
SocaWho
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

DB-PGFC wrote:
SocaWho wrote:
4wanderer4 wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:

Funny that.

Considering he actually can form a decent and well thought out argument while the best you can do is a mind numbingly stupid personal attack.

No pun intended I gather?:lol:
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

I reckon legalising it here would mean we'd have to pay a fuckload more per gram due to inevitable Government tax than the status quo.

Viennese Vuck

thupercoach
thupercoach
World Class
World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)World Class (8.4K reputation)

Socceroofan4life wrote:
Alcohol is a far worse drug than marijuana could ever be.

Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

4wanderer4 wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:

Yeah, I understand that.

But what's one good reason for legalising it (It's not as bad as alcohol is certainly not a good reason)?
Roar #1
Roar #1
World Class
World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)

DB-PGFC wrote:
Roar #1 wrote:

Please enlighten me about what the real issue is?
Fredsta
Fredsta
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Eastern Glory wrote:
But what's one good reason for legalising it (It's not as bad as alcohol is certainly not a good reason)?

I'm in two minds about it being legalized as I can't help but feel if the government are regulating the sale of weed than prices will be driven up and they'll be able to manipulate the quality too.

But that being said there are plenty more reasons besides the alcohol and tobacco excuse, Australia has one of the highest ratios per capita of marijuana users and this is a number that will never be reduced by law enforcement or legislative action, but so much law enforcement effort and resources are wasted policing the issue regardless. There are plenty of high ranking law enforcement officials throughout the western world that have been highly critical of the waste of funding and man power spent cracking down on bud, when these resources should be spent focusing on preventing and policing the trade of much more harmful substances. Also there have been plenty of articles recently monitoring the massive financial impact the legalisation and decriminalisation of weed has had on the cartels. If weed was legalized the government could use the proceeds of its sales to fund the crack down on hard drugs, establish better rehab facilities and also reduce the financial power of criminal organizations profiting from the weed trade.

Edited by fredsta: 14/5/2014 03:22:34 PM
SocaWho
SocaWho
World Class

Eastern Glory wrote:
4wanderer4 wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:

Yeah, I understand that.

I'd agree with legalisation if it was used in hospitals in a controlled environment for helping with terminal diseases and alleviating suffering for patients (similar to morphine) but I don't agree with the social use of it.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

melbourne_terrace wrote:
I reckon legalising it here would mean we'd have to pay a fuckload more per gram due to inevitable Government tax than the status quo.

Legalisation in Uruguay has seen the price fall to $1/gram, and users are restricted to purchasing 40g/month. Which I think is perfectly reasonable and there's no reason why something similar couldn't be implemented here.

I say legalise it. Watch all the kids who smoke it because they think doing so is subversive and cool lose interest, watch the crime rate drop and watch the number of people smoking cigarettes drop.
Alex Ross
Alex Ross
Under 7s
Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Everything will be fine with them! The Netherlands legalized weed years ago, and they are still alive! Nothing happened to them, and even their economy even improved after that! I don’t think that marijuana is harmful, especially if you compare it with alcohol and cigarettes. Some people just don’t know their limits. I occasionally vape CBD oil. Recently I ordered new vape cartridges on http://knockoutcbd.com, and now I can’t wait when they arrive. It’s the first time I ordered them, and with this current situation, I don’t know for how long I need to wait.
Edited
4 Years Ago by AlexRoss0908
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search