Ramdom thoughts on this Asian Cup and beyond

Ramdom thoughts on this Asian Cup and beyond

Author
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
So a 91st minute goal by Iran over UAE in the last group games enabled them to avoid certain defeat by Japan in the quarter finals and face the easier task of Iraq. This left the UAE the unenviable task of facing Japan and, so the script went, elimination at the quarter final stage.

How wrong were he pundits.

As another has posted, 3 of the 4 group winners are out.

To me this shows the increasingly competitive nature of Asian Football. Teams are well structured and coaching has stepped up as money has flowed.

The better Asian players have their sights set on playing in Europe, which is fair enough. However, in this global game, the most exciting development has been the Asian Champions League and the bringing in of European and South American footballers to the stronger teams to chase this prize. This has a flow on effect of also bringing in recognized coaches and upping the level of the domestic competitions throughout. (maybe chicken and egg there!!).

Anyway, I am hoping it means we (Asia) should have a better showing in 2018 in Russia than we saw in Brazil. Most teams at this Asian Cup are young and have a clear agenda to work toward the next WC.
JonoMV
JonoMV
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Footballking55 wrote:

How wrong were he pundits.

As another has posted, 3 of the 4 group winners are out.

To me this shows the increasingly competitive nature of Asian Football. Teams are well structured and coaching has stepped up as money has flowed.

Some surprises but nothing new in tournament football. In the Asian Cup knockout games have always been competitive.

2000 Asian Cup - 2/8 Knock out games decided by more than 1 goal
2004 Asian Cup - 3/8 Knock out games decided by more than 1 goal
2007 Asian Cup - 1/8 Knock out games decided by more than 1 goal
2011 Asian Cup - 1/8 Knock out games decided by more than 1 goal
2015 Asian Cup - 1/4 Knock out games decided by more than 1 goal - So Far.

Number of blowouts

Tournament games where teams won by more 3 or more goals

2000 Asian Cup - 5/26 games where teams won by more than 3 goals
2004 Asian Cup - 4/32 games where teams won by more than 3 goals
2007 Asian Cup - 5/32 games where teams won by more than 3 goals
2011 Asian Cup - 7/32 games where teams won by more than 3 goals
2014 Asian Cup - 6/28 games where teams won by more than 3 goals - So Far.

With tournament numbers increasing in 2019, we may see more blow outs imo.

We will see in WCQ whether the gap has decreased as in the Asian Cup a lot can happen from one game. I like your positivity. I felt in the last WCQ campaign the gap was still big, Australia was fielding a poor side that was weak and coached poorly, yet we still made the World Cup directly. I don't think we would have made it to the World Cup if we did not play in Asia for 2014 tbh.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search