How big are the knock on effects of winning the asian cup

How big are the knock on effects of winning the asian cup

Author
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Decentric wrote:
JonoMV wrote:

Support the A-League? Not that many of them are against the HAL, the bigger core of Australian football supporters who don't follow the HAL are general Eurosnobs who stay up at 3am to watch the likes of Liverpool but won't watch the HAL because it is "crap".

This is a massive issue.](*,)

I started a thread on the issue of Eurosnobism that lasted for ages.

I know almost the majority of people involved in playing, coaching or administration in football are Eurosnobs, even at NPL level.

Then there is another group of English expats, who even follow Championship and Lower League teams in England, whilst they support Australia in cricket. I just cannot get them interested in Australian football at HAL and national level.](*,)

They don' t denigrate Aussie football, but just don't have any interest.

Here's another example of how you don't "get" football, decentric.

Why is it so amazing that English expats would follow lower level English football? They do it for cultural, traditional and family reasons. If there is a family tradition of following Millwall and they come from south London, why should they drop the tradition whilst they happen to live in Australia? It is also a reaction against the big money shenanigans that dominate the top end of the Premier League.

Australian clubs don't have the same deep seated tradition. The A League clubs are mostly only ten years old; many earlier clubs were ethnic and thus had limited appeal; the old district clubs only had very limited support.

Nobody is obliged to follow Australian football because they happen to live in Australia; we live in an age of globalisation. It is an age that no longer needs new migrants to help the game grow- it is growing nicely without that.

Edited by localstar: 28/1/2015 07:53:55 PM
HeyItsRobbie
HeyItsRobbie
World Class
World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)

SocaWho wrote:
Just ask the Wanderers what happened when they won ACL.:lol:

i ask myself sometimes, when the wanderers won the acl, has anything changed? answer is jack shit

thats how i feel anyway

maybe its too soon for me to ask since the win is 2-3 months ago

Edited by heyitsrobbie: 28/1/2015 07:52:29 PM
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Maybe we can get a FTA broadcaster who will not cancel the games they propose to air.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

grazorblade wrote:
Australian football is polarized into old soccer new football camps

There isn't often a lot of nuance in these camps. The socceroos aren't producing Harry kewell type players because of the a league. The national curriculum is to blame for not winning games at the 2014 World Cup. Proactive football is unaustralian

Like it or not proactive football, the Ntc, the a league and the upcoming Roos are all part of a cultural monolith that a large part of the football community treat like it's an enemy. Being against one of these usually means being against all of them.

This all makes me wonder if we win the asian cup on home soil in front of tens of thousands playing proactive football with a lot of young players what the effect of that will be.

Will the cause some to come round and comply with the Ntc? Attend a league games? Not get upset with a coach that temporarily goes backwards to play a superior style?

A lot of the stuff i agree, their too much agenda bull crap and politics in Australian Football, i see a lot of it in the media outlets and even on the social media stuff especially that.

A good example was last week in Luongo article in the World Game Website when supposed 'supercoach' Mugrone(cant remember his first name) said the FFA NC is about results and development when we know its not true.

Winning will only help but it still wont stop the politics and silly agendas, but losing will only make these skeptics happy sadly.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Another problem i identified is the average fan whom maybe be just a fan or coaches a under 8s junior team on a saturday might not quite get what is Ange P is really trying to achieve here.

Their basis is they just want results but they don't see the bigger picture with the football evolution that is currently taking place with our national side.
Griffindinho
Griffindinho
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

The knockout on effect is the Arabs will want us out
VedranFC
VedranFC
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Our National side(s) have never won anything of serious note; a few OFC trophies and a finals appearance for the Youth World Cup back in the 1990s is really about it. If we were to win outright on Saturday night, it would be easily the biggest achievement for football in this country - at a time when many considered our NT to be at a transition or weak point. If we don't win, I hope we at least put in a fighting "Aussie"-style performance and play to our absolute best.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

Decentric wrote:
grazorblade wrote:

There isn't often a lot of nuance in these camps. The socceroos aren't producing Harry kewell type players because of the a league. The national curriculum is to blame for not winning games at the 2014 World Cup. Proactive football is unaustralian

Like it or not proactive football, the Ntc, the a league and the upcoming Roos are all part of a cultural monolith that a large part of the football community treat like it's an enemy. Being against one of these usually means being against all of them.

This all makes me wonder if we win the asian cup on home soil in front of tens of thousands playing proactive football with a lot of young players what the effect of that will be.

Will the cause some to come round and comply with the Ntc? Attend a league games? Not get upset with a coach that temporarily goes backwards to play a superior style?

It is pretty amazing there is a camp against them.](*,)

However, I've seen the anti- FFA NC naysayers play some awful football at NPL level.

Also, the tenets of the FFA NC are based on pretty sound ones. Those that Germany, Holland, Spain, France and Belgium follow.

It is hard to argue against their unmitigated success.

One top FFA coach educator suggested to me that some people just don't like change.

Exactly the FFA NC is based on European methodology, to which some think its not. There is one player whom i cant think of his name who is now who has spend time at the AC Milan Private Academy in Sydney said the FFA NC is not like how its done in Europe, far too many misconceptions.
HeyItsRobbie
HeyItsRobbie
World Class
World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)

SocaWho wrote:
Just ask the Wanderers what happened when they won ACL.:lol:

that was the ice breaker. the next challenge is to win it playing sexy football

Griffindinho wrote:
The knockout on effect is the Arabs will want us out

of course they want us out. we're better than them and that has been demonstrated at this tournament

Edited by heyitsrobbie: 29/1/2015 07:54:49 PM
u4486662
u4486662
World Class
World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)

bitza wrote:
There is a lot of stuff mentioned in this thread but one of the key things to note is the old soccer vs new football point.

I was a support of old soccer I guess. growing up in Campbelltown wi didn't have a local team to follow so I used to go to many NSL clubs. my first games was wollongong wolves vs Gipsland falcons team featuring Archie Thompson and the old brandon park. (Archie scored from the penalty and give the local fans the finger. proving he was an arsehole then and and arse hole today, but not the point) I also remember some great games at Edensor park and Marconi stadium. and was there with my father when parramatta power played their first game.

I saw chipperfield and emerton and Joel Griffiths and mile sterjovski before they were stars (and archie) and it was a great league.But it died.

For all the good of the league it died and never got the support it needed. The NSL was dying for many years. When Wollongong played their grandfinal at Parramatta stadium with 10k people (2001 I believe. Back to back championships) this should have showed everyone that this league was not going to work and was going broke.

We need to remember the good of the NSL with the bad and try and learn from it to make he a-league better. people who won't go to a-league games just because it's not the NSL well then u don't support football.

We need to stop this conversation of which one was better and start aiming to make what we have better. because we have the opportunity to learn from our alpha test. The NSL. and make this league the best possible league.

Top post.

This makes me wanna go kill some aliens

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
localstar wrote:
Decentric wrote:
JonoMV wrote:

Support the A-League? Not that many of them are against the HAL, the bigger core of Australian football supporters who don't follow the HAL are general Eurosnobs who stay up at 3am to watch the likes of Liverpool but won't watch the HAL because it is "crap".

This is a massive issue.](*,)

I started a thread on the issue of Eurosnobism that lasted for ages.

I know almost the majority of people involved in playing, coaching or administration in football are Eurosnobs, even at NPL level.

Then there is another group of English expats, who even follow Championship and Lower League teams in England, whilst they support Australia in cricket. I just cannot get them interested in Australian football at HAL and national level.](*,)

They don' t denigrate Aussie football, but just don't have any interest.

Here's another example of how you don't "get" football, decentric.

Why is it so amazing that English expats would follow lower level English football? They do it for cultural, traditional and family reasons. If there is a family tradition of following Millwall and they come from south London, why should they drop the tradition whilst they happen to live in Australia? It is also a reaction against the big money shenanigans that dominate the top end of the Premier League.

Australian clubs don't have the same deep seated tradition. The A League clubs are mostly only ten years old; many earlier clubs were ethnic and thus had limited appeal; the old district clubs only had very limited support.

Nobody is obliged to follow Australian football because they happen to live in Australia; we live in an age of globalisation. It is an age that no longer needs new migrants to help the game grow- it is growing nicely without that.

Edited by localstar: 28/1/2015 07:53:55 PM

Some fair points made, Localstar.:)

However, in cricket I know a number who've completely given up following their former English counties and England in cricket, but still only follow EPL football.](*,)

They just will not look at the HAL or Soccerooos.](*,)

They are passionate followers in the Aussie cricket milieu, but are Eurosnobs in terms of football. Why?

Why are these two differing attitudes prevalent in two different sports?
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

I've never met any expat pom who follows Australian cricket, but only EPL clubs in football.

I can't think why they would do this; but I'm sure they must only be a small minority.

Edited by localstar: 30/1/2015 10:37:10 AM
mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Decentric wrote:
However, in cricket I know a number who've completely given up following their former English counties and England in cricket, but still only follow EPL football.](*,)

Everyone likes a winner.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

localstar
localstar
Pro

mcjules wrote:
Decentric wrote:

Everyone likes a winner.

True... they are probably the kind of person who follows only "the biggest and the bestest". The same kind of person often follows Barcelona or Real Madrid.

Why follow a piddling little county like Gloucestershire when you can follow the might of New South Wales? There is no comparision.:lol:
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

This thread now assumes greater significance now Australia has won the Asian Cup.:)

Edited by Decentric: 4/2/2015 02:12:59 PM
Atlas
Atlas
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Far too many British people gave football away once they arrive in this country. Pre-A League it was as if they did not want to associate with other nationalities and opted instead to follow the local games rules or rugby. The A League has to some extent bucked this trend, but there's still thousands of old British football followers who would be a welcome addition to our game.
VedranFC
VedranFC
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Atlas wrote:
Far too many British people gave football away once they arrive in this country. Pre-A League it was as if they did not want to associate with other nationalities and opted instead to follow the local games rules or rugby. The A League has to some extent bucked this trend, but there's still thousands of old British football followers who would be a welcome addition to our game.
Look no further than Perth- if glory could regularly attract this exact group you'd be looking at sellouts every week.
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

4wanderer4 wrote:
Atlas wrote:
Look no further than Perth- if glory could regularly attract this exact group you'd be looking at sellouts every week.

I thought they already did to a large degree?

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

ricecrackers
ricecrackers
Pro
Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
grazorblade wrote:

What is "Proactive football"?
biscuitman1871
biscuitman1871
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

ricecrackers wrote:
grazorblade wrote:

What is "Proactive football"?

I would tell you and provide you with links but you are such a complete tosser I can't be bothered.

Atlas
Atlas
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Anyone notice the poor crowds in the three A league matches since the the final of the Asian Cup. Granted one was a Monday night game and the other involved a team going through hell ATM, but one would think the success of winning the Asian Cup would have had a positive effect on attendances.
Griffindinho
Griffindinho
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Atlas wrote:
Anyone notice the poor crowds in the three A league matches since the the final of the Asian Cup. Granted one was a Monday night game and the other involved a team going through hell ATM, but one would think the success of winning the Asian Cup would have had a positive effect on attendances.

Doesn't mean anything. Look at when South Korea made the Semi finals at the 2002 FIFA World Cup. Still the K-league crowds were pretty poor afterwards.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Atlas wrote:

Interesting point.=d>

I'm not sure what I think?
Les Gock
Les Gock
Amateur
Amateur (687 reputation)Amateur (687 reputation)Amateur (687 reputation)Amateur (687 reputation)Amateur (687 reputation)Amateur (687 reputation)Amateur (687 reputation)Amateur (687 reputation)Amateur (687 reputation)Amateur (687 reputation)Amateur (687 reputation)

I'm pretty sure it was the same immediately after the Uruguay match. I honestly don't think Socceroos success has any effect on A-League crowds.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search