Feedback on cutting and pasting of articles

Feedback on cutting and pasting of articles

Author
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Every poster of this forum has a time limit of a certain amount between when they can post replies, and the same should be the case for Joffa when he goes on his obvious attention seeking poll creation threads. I mean seriously, the bloke not only posts 10 news articles at the same time, but then creates something like 8 fucking polls simultaneously.

I'm all for news and polls, but give it a rest. If that bloke has the ability to judge threads as "closeworthy" simply because there are butthurt fans - wait a second, is this a sports forum with fans from separate teams?! - then the nonce needs to realise that his spamming of an ENTIRE page of a forum only stifles discussion.

Joffa is a decent mod, but he's about as consistent as Strebre fucking Delovski.

If you're going to close threads because people are offended by them when their sole purpose is for banter, well, don't go pasting an entire wall of shit on the front page of the forum.

Edited by pv4: 4/3/2015 07:24:01 AM
notorganic
notorganic
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Joffa is not a decent mod.
macktheknife
macktheknife
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Does Joffa actuall mod anything or does he just spam?
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

I like Joffa, but I disagree with his decision to lock that thread. The WSW trolling was pretty contained to that thread, and I'm sure he'll regret it, once he remembers that now all those posts go back to being in every single thread, instead of one.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

macktheknife wrote:
Does Joffa actuall mod anything or does he just spam?

Spam.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Joffa is shit. Relies on Spam posts and then bans everything else

Viennese Vuck

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Maybe the polls could be reduced.

However, I think it is good that 442 posters cut and paste football articles from other sites. Whether it is Joffa, Joffabot and recently Paladisious, it is good visiting this site and finding football articles posted from other sites.

Maybe it would look better if more posters posted articles than mainly Joffa and Joffabot? Arthur and Damo Baresi have added plenty of excellent, informative articles over the last few years.

I'd cut and paste articles to 442 more often, but I don't see that many worth posting.

I also don't like seeing threads set up that can be construed as launching personal attacks on other 442 posters. It is not constructive. Comment on the idea not the person.

Edited by Decentric: 20/2/2015 12:42:16 AM
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Decentric wrote:
recently Paladisious

Quote:

[-x [-x [-x :lol:
notorganic
notorganic
Legend

Decentric wrote:
However, I think it is good that 442 posters cut and paste football articles from other sites.

You think it's good to take income away from content creators for the benefit of Haymarket Media's ad revenue?
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Noooooope

Edited by pv4: 20/2/2015 01:06:33 PM

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

[-x
paladisious wrote:
Decentric wrote:
recently Paladisious

Quote:

[-x [-x [-x :lol:

You must've conducted polls then.[-x

Edited by Decentric: 20/2/2015 04:06:09 PM
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
TheSelectFew wrote:
Noooooope

Hmmm
notorganic
notorganic
Legend

11.mvfc.11 wrote:
They found a way to get rid of Joffa on TWG... We must find a way.

The answer is to shut down the forums, then.
notorganic
notorganic
Legend

jlm8695 wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:
Noooooope

Hmmm

The gist of it was "joffa has banned me a bunch of times for doing the same things that heaps of other people do".

With lots of expletive pejoratives.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Okay I've had enough of this.](*,)

Many of the posters criticising Joffa, although not all, as some are pretty positive people, spend a lot of time on this forum winding each other up, and seeing the negative in most issues pertaining to football.

I can see a few posters cutting and pasting articles and too many polls as a minor issue, but basically didn't Joffa set up the excellent World Cup section on this forum?

Why not give some credit where it is due? Most of us loved the World Cup and Asian Cup sections.

One of the strengths of 442 forum, is that the constant link to articles on the 442 site, about football, and people cutting and pasting, or linking articles from 442 and other sites, encourages football discussion.

I've been posting on forums for 9 years. The 442 site is the best this country has seen.

Why can't a few others see this too? No site is perfect, but 16 000 members and a high number of regular posters is testament to all to that is good about 442.

A number of us have forged friendships and met up off forum. We have even set up networks in football that are only good for the game. I've also found a link on this site as being extremely useful for practising coaches off forum from beginners to senior NPL coaches.

To annoy the harbingers of doom and gloom, I'm going to start making positive threads about football issues in Feedback in future, rather than whinge.

Edited by Decentric: 23/2/2015 09:50:26 AM
notorganic
notorganic
Legend

All well and good, but you didn't answer my question.

You can fluff doublespeak around it as much as you want, but pasting an entire article on the forums takes clicks and revenue away from the content creator and helps remove incentive for further compelling football content to be created.

With ads being so pervasive on this site though, it's easy to understand why people are willing to either stay Mum or actively defend the at best unethical, at worst grossly illegal, practice.

Edited by Notorganic: 23/2/2015 09:59:42 AM
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

notorganic wrote:

You can fluff doublespeak around it as much as you want, but pasting an entire article on the forums takes clicks and revenue away from the content creator and helps remove incentive for further compelling football content to be created.

With ads being so pervasive on this site though, it's easy to understand why people are willing to either stay Mum or actively defend the at best unethical, at worst grossly illegal, practice.

I haven't looked into your views too thoroughly before tbh.

One quick thought I had after reading your post is do you think discussion will reduce about certain topics, as some people would be unwilling/motivated to click on the link to the site, and then read the article? I know some threads I go into, I'll just skim or not even read the articles posted and share my views based solely off the title. Would not supplying the article in full perhaps reduce the conversation a bit, hypothetically?
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

notorganic wrote:

The stand I'm taking, is what is good for football followers on forums.

Not the ethics of articles appearing from other forums. There is a lot of plagiarism involved in academia and journalism, but it is not the role of us, as consumers, to dialectically debate the the moral issues of using other sources for content to discuss football, if we enjoy other facets of the same organisation .

I think you should take a principled stand, based on your beliefs, and leave the forum, if you are so concerned about ethical issues of where the content comes from on 442. I 'm not sure of the views you generally promulgate, although you seem to spend a lot of time arguing with a number of other posters in this thread, over a number of issues that don't concern me

Most stakeholders in media, in a ruthless industry, will access material until the threat of legal action from a rival organisation occurs.

Edited by Decentric: 23/2/2015 10:20:53 AM
notorganic
notorganic
Legend

pv4 wrote:
notorganic wrote:

One quick thought I had after reading your post is do you think discussion will reduce about certain topics, as some people would be unwilling/motivated to click on the link to the site, and then read the article? I know some threads I go into, I'll just skim or not even read the articles posted and share my views based solely off the title. Would not supplying the article in full perhaps reduce the conversation a bit, hypothetically?

The best balance for the right of the author to receive a far opportunity of earning compensation for their work and stimulating discussion here would be to paste a paragraph and encourage people to click on the list and read more.

Decentric wrote:
The stand I'm taking, is what is good for football followers on forums.

The journalism trade has already been decimated with a loss of revenue, if you think that denying revenue to content creators is "good for football followers" on forums or anywhere then you're very naive.

I do take a principled stand, when I post articles from websites that deserve clickthrough traffic I will post an except and encourage others to clickthrough to read the rest. I won't be leaving, sorry.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

pv4 wrote:
notorganic wrote:

I think that is a good point, PV4.

Many of us skim over whole articles, without commenting.

The entire article is useful.
notorganic
notorganic
Legend

I guess if I stopped getting paid on weekends I would just keep driving drunk people around for free. I really love driving, and people love to be driven... they just don't want to pay for it.
WaMackie
WaMackie
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
I think Joffa means well ultimately, and its hard to Police everything. Is he paid for the role?
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

WaMackie wrote:
I think Joffa means well ultimately, and its hard to Police everything. Is he paid for the role?

All mods get given the password to the Prefects bathroom.
notorganic
notorganic
Legend

WaMackie wrote:

You tell me, deepthroat.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

WaMackie wrote:
I think Joffa means well ultimately, and its hard to Police everything.

Good to see this posted.

I'm uncomfortable with any member of 442 being discussed in this section in a derogatory way.

The idea a poster advances is far more productive.

Edited by Decentric: 23/2/2015 10:50:04 AM
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend

Decentric wrote:
WaMackie wrote:

Good to see this posted.

I'm uncomfortable with any member of 442 being discussed in this section in a derogatory way.

I'm with D here.
The Joffa hatred is starting to get very, very tiring.
notorganic
notorganic
Legend

Eastern Glory wrote:
Decentric wrote:
WaMackie wrote:

Good to see this posted.

I'm with D here.

It's not hatred, it's legitimate concern at the damage Joffa is doing to people who write about football as their day job.

Criticism =/= derogatory harassment
pv4
pv4
Legend

notorganic wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:
Decentric wrote:
WaMackie wrote:

Good to see this posted.

I'm with D here.

It's not hatred, it's legitimate concern at the damage Joffa is doing to people who write about football as their day job.

To be fair, that line seems to get continually crossed.
notorganic
notorganic
Legend

True, but this is the matter we are talking about and D is trying to defend.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

notorganic wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:
Decentric wrote:
WaMackie wrote:

Good to see this posted.

I'm with D here.

I've briefly worked in the football media.

I've also had a lot of contact with the media in a previous job in politics.

The media has distorted so much and can be so cynical, devious, even despicable, in getting an angle on a story. At the same time they can be very constructive.

I have never known an industry with so many egotists. Conversely, the world of welfare/ social work has a fantastic bunch of altruists. The industries of education and building are also vastly better than the media too.

To denigrate what Joffa/Joffabot based on ethics is flawed, given they are extrapolating articles from a ruthless industry, where I imagine various journos are ripping each other off and doing each over searching for stories to gain an edge.

Sorry to do this lads, but Mike Cockerill, Sebastian Hassett and Michael Lynch, know little about pro football, because they have never played professionally or coached at at high level, with little coach education. Yet they are confident enough to gratuitously enunciate their opinions on TV, even about performance, which they know little about.

I'd have no hesitation, these guys are competing with each other, and a lot of others, over stories in the media as who gets exclusives.

That anyone cuts and pastes journos' articles, who sometimes misrepresent players and coaches, is no concern to me.

Edited by Decentric: 23/2/2015 12:19:44 PM
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search