What do you see

What do you see

Author
krones3
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
This is fantastic and i in no way want to criticizes players or coaches in it. Total respect to them all

but as a coach what do you see in the first part of the drill at 10:16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dUgWFVPqFE

Observing these players doing this drill will show what us different coaches look at.
biscuitman1871
biscuitman1871
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

krones3 wrote:
This is fantastic and i in no way want to criticizes players or coaches in it. Total respect to them all

Observing these players doing this drill will show what us different coaches look at.

Instead of a triangle why wouldn't you have two cones/groups(in this case start with group of 2 passing to 1), follow your pass to put pressure or at least close space on the player receiving the ball so that they have to move the ball with their first touch at an angle to be able to pass to the next receiver.

I didn't watch anymore than around 10:16 so maybe they progressed to this but for this age group what I saw was pretty isolated. I do the drill I described above with the 9 year olds I coach.

Justafan
Justafan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Body position - take ball with inside of furthest foot (back foot) and open body so first touch keeps ball and player moving away from cone. Generally drill feel down when this was not done. Generally worked well when this was done.

Receiver needs more movement to come in and out from cone to open gap for pass. Players should make pass firmly aiming for the furthest foot of the receiver to ensure that the ball moves quickly and smoothly around triangle. Also time movement to when the passer is going to make the pass not too early so you are not left just standing there waiting.

I would get point 1 and 2 right first before progressing to using say using outside of foot with first touch especially for younger kids as it gets them in the habit of moving their body to a better position to progress forward and should improve their vision.

This what we have done with U10/U11 when doing a similar drill. Get the 2 points above right first and then work on other parts of the foot. I am assuming drill set up stays the same.

krones3
krones3
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

Picked up on
Failure to pass to the far foot
Failure to receive with the inside of the far foot
Failure to pass with the opposite foot to the one that received the ball.
The player in black is only comfortable with his right foot ( poor technical ability with either)
One player is often stretching for the ball, not moving for it.
one player often uses the outside of the foot to carry the ball across his body rather than move to receive it.
One has control with both feet but is often off balance leaning forward or back.

I would say their passing Technique was not corrected at a young age and has allowed poor habits to creep in.No amount of drills like this one will fix their Technique.
Justafan
Justafan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

krones3 wrote:
Picked up on
The player in black is only comfortable with his right foot ( poor technical ability with either)
one player often uses the outside of the foot to carry the ball across his body rather than move to receive it.
One has control with both feet but is often off balance leaning forward or back.

I would say their passing Technique was not corrected at a young age and has allowed poor habits to creep in.No amount of drills like this one will fix their Technique.

I thought guy in black was just filling in to get the right numbers because he looked way off the pace technique wise.
krones3
krones3
Pro

Justafan wrote:
krones3 wrote:
Picked up on

I thought guy in black was just filling in to get the right numbers because he looked way off the pace technique wise.
yes I am still just analysing him for the purpose of this post. Just to see through the eyes of others when looking at players.
Justafan
Justafan
Semi-Pro

This is the way it should be done (using as a square but same principles for a triangle):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eyIBUY5hYY

krones3
krones3
Pro

The thing i like about the passing in the German vid was that some of the players pass without breaking stride. It looks like part of their running style. great technique.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
krones3 wrote:

In the initial part of the drill, the objective is shooting, but the first part of the exercise is passing.

I like the passing exercise, as it involves movement and passing, but the objective is shooting.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

The objective in the initial passing and moving exercise is too complicated. By having players getting 'out' one is having players being inactive, which defeats the Warm Up objective.

I like the idea, but it is not related to shooting.

Shooting should involve, heading, volleying, shooting with instep, as well as side of the foot.

This is not apparent in the Warm Up. The Warm Up is a good, passing exercise, if the Objective of the session is passing.

There is also a problem with the calling of the colour if it stops the flow.

Edited by Decentric: 28/4/2015 03:06:41 AM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

When the coach gets to the triangular exercise, it is good football content because simulates match conditions when a coach wants a team to pass and move in triangles.

Initially he opts for just receiving and passing on to the next player following the ball in the triangle. That is fine.

This is a First Touch exercise that the state Skills Acquisition Program head coach does with his players, but the focus should be First Touch. The Galaxy coach here is ostensibly warming up players for Shooting. None of what has been done so far, is are Shooting activities.

Also when he progresses the exercise withe the player on the first coach cone bouncing the ball back to the passer, who then runs towards the player who has just received it, it is too complicated to do this just one coach at a time.

It is better to have the players do it on all cones. This is a decent Passing Exercise, which also involves First Touch.

One thing that is good in the exercise is that the Galaxy coach asks players to change direction, for players to become adept at receiving and passing on both sides of the body.=d>

It is also important to have no more players doing this than 4, so that nobody waits on a cone for too long and is rendered inactive.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Justafan wrote:
Body position - take ball with inside of furthest foot (back foot) and open body so first touch keeps ball and player moving away from cone. Generally drill feel down when this was not done. Generally worked well when this was done.

What can be suggested here, is that players receive the ball with effective body shape to play forwards.

In the past we've preached furthest foot. But if a player is on the wing, facing the play, sometimes s/he can receive the ball with the foot closest to receiving the ball from the passer, with the body in effective body position facing the play.

Next time you watch a professional game, one can notice that players don't always receive with the furthest foot, depending on the circumstance of play.

In the triangular passing/receiving exercise, used by the Galaxy coach I would also like to see players receive the ball, with the outside of the foot going in both directions, as a corollary to receiving on the inside of the foot. If a player receives with the inside and outside of both feet, it is good.

Even when one watches the HAL, some players are far too one footed, or more specifically one-sided in their play. Most of the guys who get to Socceroo level are more competent on both sides of the body - Milligan, Mooy, Spira.

Some particularly one side players in the HAL, are the Trifiro brothers. They are both very right sided. If they were as good on the non preferred side, playing forward, hence opening out, they would have better vision from more effective body shape on both sides of the body, and be harder to jockey form defenders.

Anthony Caceres is also a bit too right footed/right sided too, although he is a considerably better player.

Edited by Decentric: 28/4/2015 05:18:31 PM
krones3
krones3
Pro

That's good decentric
See the way you are looking at the drills and i am concentrating on the technique of the individual players?
Its great to see where others are concentrating on.
Justafan
Justafan
Semi-Pro

Decentric wrote:
Justafan wrote:

What can be suggested here, is that players receive the ball with effective body shape to play forwards.

In the past we've preached furthest foot. But if a player is on the wing, facing the play, sometimes s/he can receive the ball with the foot closest to receiving the ball form the passer, with the body in effective body position facing the play.

Next time you watch a professional game, one can notice that players don't always receive with the furthest foot, depending on the circumstance of play.

In the triangular passing/receiving exercise, used by the Galaxy coach I would also like to see players receive the ball, with the outside of the foot going in both directions, as a corollary to receiving on the inside of the foot. If a player receives with the inside and outside of both feet, it is good.

Even when one watches the HAL, some players are far too one footed, or more specifically one-sided in their play. Most of the guys who get to Socceroo level are more competent on both sides of the body - Milligan, Mooy, Spira.

Some particularly one side players in the HAL, are the Trifiro brothers. They are both very right sided. If they were as good on the non preferred side, playing forward, hence opening out, they would have better vision from more effective body shape on both sides of the body, and be harder to jockey form defenders.

Anthony Caceres is also a bit too right footed/right sided too, although he is a considerably better player.

I agree they also need to learn to use both feet, the outside of the foot and furthest foot from the opposition (or nearest foot from passer).

This is why in my last part I stated for younger kids (SAP level U11 down) with the triangle drill (I did not look at the whole video only this drill) I would first get them comfortable with the inside of the foot much easier to learn and control the ball especially when they have space and then move towards the outside of the foot which is much more difficult to do. You correctly point out that you should also reverse the movement so you use left and right foot or players do become to one sided.

I have used this approach since U9 and the players are comfortable receiving both feet inside and outside with our focus now on ensuring when they have space they use the furthest foot to open their body and when they do not they use their furthest foot from the opponent. We also encourage them when dribbling to use the furthest foot from your opponent.

Therefore you have to have a good first touch with both feet as it will depend on where the ball is played from and the situation.

My focus was on the technique you can learn from the triangle drill and when I watch professional games a high percentage of the the modern game is played with receiving the ball with your furthest foot to improve body position and vision when you have space this would be a good drill to teach young kids this lesson.

Edited by justafan: 28/4/2015 08:06:58 AM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

krones3 wrote:
That's good decentric
See the way you are looking at the drills and i am concentrating on the technique of the individual players?
Its great to see where others are concentrating on.

I haven't looked up this Galaxy Academy. I have no idea what standard the players are supposed to be, but they seem to be struggling to understand what the coach wants.

I still haven't got through the whole video.

Some of the criticism that comes through the FFA /KNVB method is not having a theme throughout a training session.

The other criticisms come from organisation, which is a product of being a teacher for 30 plus years. I'm concerned by how much time players in Galaxy are wasting, watching other players perform. This cuts down on their touches, involvement , fitness, intensity and being engaged.

Mind you when Norm Boardman former FFA big shot and WSW League coach ) asked for feedback in his sessions, he also had too much inactivity from inactive players.

Dean May former Tassie NTC coach also had far too many players in queues, or staring around watching others doing nothing. Over a season, if a team trains three tines a week , it a can amount to 25 hours wasted time in training.

However, I saw May run one brilliant public session with a main focus exercise , whilst others did 3v1 rondos, until they were rotated.

In terms of football content, Boardman in particular, and May, know their stuff though.

Edited by Decentric: 28/4/2015 05:32:15 PM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Justafan wrote:

You correctly point out that you should also reverse the movement so you use left and right foot or players do become to one sided.

Have to credit Krones for ensuring I did this from reading a post from him years ago on here. He always conducts drills on opposite sides to ensure both footedness and effective body shape on both wings.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Justafan wrote:

My focus was on the technique you can learn from the triangle drill and when I watch professional games a high percentage of the the modern game is played with receiving the ball with your furthest foot to improve body position and vision when you have space this would be a good drill to teach young kids this lesson.

Edited by justafan: 28/4/2015 08:06:58 AM

Gregory Parker, who used to write training ground exercises for 442 and was a regular on here, also mandated the furthest foot.

It is only through discussions with one of the FFA SAP curriculum writers that he poses questions about effective body shape taking precedence over always receiving with furthest foot.
krones3
krones3
Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Todd Herman, Peak Performance/Sports Psych Consult... (more)
37 upvotes by Anonymous, Ed Caruthers, James H. Kelly, (more)
Great question and some fantastic stories of triumph, as well. Kudos to all the contributors!

As a Sports Psychology consultant to hundreds of pro and Olympic athletes, we have conversations around this topic frequently.

It's a difficult question to answer because there are a lot of variables at play. But the one that everyone seems to lean on the most is also the most deceiving.

--> Talent.

In a study my company conducted 7 years ago, we wanted to discover why the athletes you mention in your question, the most 'talented' in their sport, seem to fail to reach next level goals.

The study looked at the 200 highest ranked hockey players between the ages of 14-15 in Ontario Canada. An extremely competitive province for the sport.

We followed the athletes and wanted to see how many of these "best" athletes still played the sport 3 years later. And if they weren't pursuing the sport to the next levels, what was the reason?

Out of those 200 athletes only 23 were still playing the sport at a high level. So what happened to the other 177?

In interviews & surveys with the athletes 82% of them stopped playing the sport because of emotional burnout caused by parental pressures or bad coaching experiences. The rest were no longer playing because of either injury or an interest in another sport.

When we looked deeper at the responses and the data, we also discovered most of these athletes were a part of a group we call, "early succeeders". These are the athletes which had success at their sport early in their development, 7-10 years of age. This group also had a tendency to have their growth spurts earlier than others.

Why is this important?

It's important from a mental toughness standpoint, because the data showed that these athletes had an easier time dominating on the ice early in their careers. They were either physically more dominant or had developed coordination that was superior to their counterparts on the ice.

This can build a false sense of superiority and cause the athlete to think they're just "naturally more gifted". They also end up hearing from coaches and parents that their "naturally" good at their sport. The athletes ended up not having to deal with much adversity early in their careers when the concentration of skilled players is spread out amongst the leagues.

But as an athlete gets older, the competition becomes more concentrated because the casual athlete drops out and the discrepancy in size because of early puberty starts to dissipate. Now they don't find it 'as easy' to dominate.

They have to work harder to gain the success that once came so easily to them and if they haven't developed the habit of a good work ethic or a healthy self-confidence, they start to burnout and look to others to blame for their lack of enjoyment/success in the game.

These athletes still have the fundamental hockey skills to be successful, but they haven't developed the requisite emotional and mental skills needed to succeed at the highest levels.

Many of my pro clients or Olympic clients would tell you that during their journey there were many other competitors they played with or competed against who were more skilled than they were.

In fact, they'll tell you that the professional leagues are NOT filled with the best players in the world. They're filled with the ones who just didn't quit.

Something to think about...

So to the people that aren't in the group that are ranked the highest or perceived as 'the best'.

Remember:
Rankings are arbitrary, they don't define your potential. Just think of those 177 hockey players that were ranked higher than the 201st placed player, but didn't end up doing anything with their skill. If that 201st ranked player only focused on the fact that so many others were higher than him, he may be discouraged. Pro leagues in all sports are filled with people who weren't 'supposed' to make it.
Success has more to do with your attitude towards your endeavour than the physical assets you're gifted with. Keep your attention and goals focused on self-mastery and you'll be shocked at the results. The accolades will usually follow.
Create a goal that's deeply meaningful to YOU and pursue it. You may not reach that EXACT goal, but more often than not, you'll end up achieving goals that are far bigger and meaningful than the original.

I hope this was helpful.

Be Bold. Take Action.

Todd Herman
Sports Psychology and Peak Performance Tips

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Fantastic read, Krones.=d>

The message from the article, is that high quality level coaching needs to be spread as widely as possible. That is well beyond NTC pathways.

So many supposed elite players, give up early their careers.

As a coach I'm one of the least likely to adulate talented payers. I've received players who have been built up as demigods and have been afforded preferential treatment by some previous coaches. They find it difficult to contend with my style, where I always have something they need to work on to improve. It is doing players a disservice for them to think of themselves as stars within a team.

The new coaching methodology in Australia has so many facets of criteria to appraise players, there is room for improvement in most areas.

When one looks at:

Technique (First Touch, Striking The Ball, 1v1 Attacking and Defensive Skills and Running with The Ball).

Insight (game sense).

Communication.

Football conditioning.

There are always areas for players to improve.

Prima donnas don't like to hear this, because they have often had an exalted status of their ability, because their previous evaluations have been too narrow.

I've had some of the technically weaker players, and less talented athletes, devoid of self confidence, who have had infinitely superior game sense to some of their star teammates.

Praising their game sense and asking them to instruct others on the pitch has not gone down well with some of their teammates who consider themselves better players, but who've had relatively low football intelligence.

This has also been the case coaching mixed gender teams, with females often having better game sense than males, although inferior athletes and technicians.

With the diversity of football criteria, one can usually find aspects of players' games to praise, particularly the many players who lack confidence.

The most important facets of football are that players enjoy playing and continue to play, not quit.

I still haven't seen the whole Galaxy exercise in sessions in the video, but will revisit it eventually.

Edited by Decentric: 4/5/2015 01:17:01 PM
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search