Ethics classes for primary school children.

Ethics classes for primary school children.

Author
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
If you care about your ability to make an informed decision about your child's, or your future child's, secular education then you should sign this petition.

http://www.primaryethics.com.au/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=Link&VID=45622941&KID=224069&LID=1146733

Fucking religious nutjobs want ethics classes, as an alternative to scripture in NSW schools, hidden from the public's eyes.

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/mike-baird-denies-deal-with-fred-nile-over-proposed-ethics-class-changes-20150602-ghdt8z.html

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/premier-mike-bairds-friend-calls-proposed-ethics-changes-misleading-and-deceptive-20150604-ghgn9w.html

Member since 2008.

Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Lol... Most churches are AGAINST ethics classes because they will replace scripture.

As a someone raised in that sort of environment, I'm all for scripture/ethics classes. I agree that they should be a little better regulated than they are, but these things can have very positive impacts on schools.
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

Yay so we can have even more paedophiles telling us that homosexuality and gay marriage is evil and that the world is 6000 years old.

Excellent.
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

benelsmore wrote:
Yay so we can have even more paedophiles telling us that homosexuality and gay marriage is evil and that the world is 6000 years old.

Excellent.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're an angry person.
Scoll
Scoll
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Proper, secular, critical study of ethics would be a really valuable addition to the curriculum. Though it would really only be suitable at high school level. Critical thinking regarding ethical problems is fairly lacking in society, I think partially because most students will only encounter it at a tertiary level.

This scheme doesn't really sound like a proper study of ethics, however.
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend

Scoll wrote:
Proper, secular, critical study of ethics would be a really valuable addition to the curriculum. Though it would really only be suitable at high school level. Critical thinking regarding ethical problems is fairly lacking in society, I think partially because most students will only encounter it at a tertiary level.

The difficult part is finding people who stimulate discussion and thought about ethical choices and concepts, without leading students in one direction or another.
Muz
Muz
Legend

Scoll wrote:

Please don't be so dismissive. Its all here if you care to look. http://www.primaryethics.com.au/

It isn't university ethics by any stretch but the subjects are age appropriate and some studies show if critical thinking skills are not learnt early they may not be learnt at all.

It is a brilliant iniatative by a not for profit volunteers delivering an alternative to colouring in or sitting quietly if you opt your child out of SRE.

Prior to ethics classes being introduced children, by law, were not allowed to do homework or other reading of work material lest they get an advantage over children sitting in SRE.

This has been a long fight over a decade in the making and now these pricks are running scared and trying to hide it.

Edited by MUNRUBENMUZ: 9/6/2015 03:29:27 PM

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend

Eastern Glory wrote:
Scoll wrote:

The difficult part is finding people who stimulate discussion and thought about ethical choices and concepts, without leading students in one direction or another.

This is true. The training that the volunteer teachers do heavily emphasises that the teacher should nudge the conversation along and not lead it. The teacher is, in effect, a facilitator only of the subject matter.

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend

From this page: http://www.primaryethics.com.au/ourcurriculum.html

Evidence shows that well-reasoned moral judgement does not come automatically as young people mature and that these skills are best developed by engaging children in collaborative dialogue about a wide range of issues that matter to them. That’s how our Primary Ethics’ curriculum works. Once acquired, these skills accompany individuals into adulthood.

Member since 2008.

karta
karta
Amateur
Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)

Eastern Glory wrote:
benelsmore wrote:

Excellent.

You're an angry person.

I don't blame him, it's honestly infuriating to see uneducated church volunteers come into a state school and literally tell students that the earth is a few thousand year old and that the 'scientists' are wrong.
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend

karta wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:
benelsmore wrote:

Excellent.

You're an angry person.

I don't blame him, it's honestly infuriating to see uneducated church volunteers come into a state school and literally tell students that the earth is a few thousand year old and that the 'scientists' are wrong.

You don't really believe that that happens though right? :lol:

This is Sydney, not Alabama.
karta
karta
Amateur
Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)

Eastern Glory wrote:
karta wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:
benelsmore wrote:

Excellent.

You're an angry person.

The last time I watched a non-uni-educated person stand in front of a yr 6 class and tell them that the earth was only a few thousand years old was Wednesday last week.

It happens. Speak to any teacher.
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend

karta wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:
karta wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:
benelsmore wrote:

Excellent.

You're an angry person.

The last time I watched a non-uni-educated person stand in front of a yr 6 class and tell them that the earth was only a few thousand years old was Wednesday last week.

It just doesn't happen mate :lol:
You're either lying, or choosing to hear things incorrectly.
I'd say that 99.99% of Christians are very, very, very okay with admitting that the earth is millions/billions of years old.
rocknerd
rocknerd
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Ethics classes are a must! Currently my daughter gets to watch videos of peppa pig because it's illegal to teach her anything during the SRE sessions.

Fucking waste of time and SRE needs to be removed from public schools
u4486662
u4486662
World Class
World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)

karta wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:
karta wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:
benelsmore wrote:

Excellent.

You're an angry person.

Which school is that?

Far out. Did you laugh hysterically?
karta
karta
Amateur

u4486662 wrote:
karta wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:
karta wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:
benelsmore wrote:

Excellent.

You're an angry person.

Which school is that?

You can't do much except put your head down and try to catch up on work/planning.

The people who come out have a permanent victim complex (remember the gay-marriage thread from a week or two ago), do anything like try to correct them and they'd be onto the principal/EQ in an instant. It's not worth it.

Worst thing is when kids try to talk to you afterwards and you say you can't discuss it with them.

I'm not sure why EG thinks it's a joke either. The moderates are never the ones who go around evangelising, the people who have the time and effort to do this are always the ones that think they're saving souls.
Muz
Muz
Legend

karta wrote:
u4486662 wrote:
karta wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:
karta wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:
benelsmore wrote:

Excellent.

You're an angry person.

Which school is that?

You can't do much except put your head down and try to catch up on work/planning.

The people who come out have a permanent victim complex (remember the gay-marriage thread from a week or two ago), do anything like try to correct them and they'd be onto the principal/EQ in an instant. It's not worth it.

Worst thing is when kids try to talk to you afterwards and you say you can't discuss it with them.

I'm not sure why EG thinks it's a joke either. The moderates are never the ones who go around evangelising, the people who have the time and effort to do this are always the ones that think they're saving souls.

100% correct. It happens more than you think.

Speak to a teacher that has SRE at their school.

Member since 2008.

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

Eastern Glory wrote:
karta wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:
benelsmore wrote:

Excellent.

You're an angry person.

I despise organized religion and wilfully ignorant people :lol:

That sort of thing does exist though. I'm still young enough to remember being in year 6 at school and being taught noah's flood as a fact.

Also just a few days ago there was an article about how religious leaders at schools have been giving young kids pamphlets about why homosexuality is evil.

In this day and age what's evil is ignorant old men telling people how to live their life.
Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

benelsmore wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:
karta wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:
benelsmore wrote:

Excellent.

You're an angry person.

That sort of thing does exist though. I'm still young enough to remember being in year 6 at school and being taught noah's flood as a fact.

Also just a few days ago there was an article about how religious leaders at schools have been giving young kids pamphlets about why homosexuality is evil.

In this day and age what's evil is ignorant old men telling people how to live their life.

Substitute young men for old men and you have most modern liberal "progressive" groups that influence correct groupthink at our universities...

There are only two intellectually honest debate tactics: (a) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s facts, or (b) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s logic. All other debate tactics are intellectually dishonest - John T. Reed

The Most Popular Presidential Candidate Of All Time (TM) cant go to a sports stadium in the country he presides over. Figure that one out...

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

Captain Haddock wrote:
benelsmore wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:
karta wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:
benelsmore wrote:

Excellent.

You're an angry person.

Substitute young men for old men and you have most modern liberal "progressive" groups that influence correct groupthink at our universities...

Don't get me started on leftards :lol:

I started uni with them. I graduated. They're still at uni on their 4th major complaining about university being expensive :lol:
playmaker11
playmaker11
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

My religion and ethics classes in high school consisted of going to a small, airconditioned room where we all sat on nice cushions and our teacher would show us a slideshow of shit he'd done while travelling the world. The last time I looked at a bible in a classroom setting was in year 9. I think the overall message was "don't be a cunt, and go with a tour guide if you visit the Papuan mountains or else you might not come back ".

Edited by playmaker11: 10/6/2015 01:21:25 PM

By now, American Samoa must have realised that Australias 22-0 win over Tonga two days earlier was no fluke.

Condemned666
Condemned666
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
ethics classes? Ethics classes?

How about some of our politicians (those who we follow, the ones that are meant to set an example) behave in a more exemplifying manner before we start talking about ethics classes
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

Condemned666 wrote:

How about some of our politicians (those who we follow, the ones that are meant to set an example) behave in a more exemplifying manner before we start talking about ethics classes

They're all christians. No surprises why they're such useless c*nts in that respect.
T-UNIT
T-UNIT
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Thought it said 'ethnics' classes, was about to go full retard.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

T-UNIT wrote:
Thought it said 'ethnics' classes, was about to go full retard.

same . Can imagine fat pizza style classes hahah
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

benelsmore wrote:
Condemned666 wrote:

They're all christians. No surprises why they're such useless c*nts in that respect.

:lol: Give it a rest mate.

Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

As a catholic .. well you're right benelsmore :lol:
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend

benelsmore wrote:
Condemned666 wrote:

I'm really not sure where that's coming from... There was a HUGE evangelical lobby AGAINST ethics classes when they were first proposed.
Condemned666
Condemned666
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Eastern Glory wrote:
benelsmore wrote:
Condemned666 wrote:

I'm really not sure where that's coming from... There was a HUGE evangelical lobby AGAINST ethics classes when they were first proposed.

Listening to the youth radio network current affairs shows, they held a story about 'respect for the opposite sex' in order to combat domestic violence

'The way to conduct' sounded like this->

This is going to end up well... :oops:
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search