♔ ♕ ♚ ♛ Australia U17/U20/U23 National Team Tournaments & Discussion Thread ♔ ♕ ♚ ♛

♔ ♕ ♚ ♛ Australia U17/U20/U23 National Team Tournaments & Discussion...

Author
playmaker11
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Tournament is held in Indonesia next October. Should be nice and sticky.

By now, American Samoa must have realised that Australias 22-0 win over Tonga two days earlier was no fluke.

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
lukerobinho - 8 Nov 2017 11:53 PM
I think it finished 4-1

Missed penalty from Best Korea in the 91st minute immediately followed by Australia's fourth goal, if futbol24 is to believed.

I'm sure the FFA have ample highlights to share with us...
Mustang67
Mustang67
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

Great win by the boys if the score is to go by. The next round of qualifiers will be a test. 
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Young Socceroos seal ticket to Indonesia with win over DPR Korea

Staff writer15 mins agoThe Young Socceroos will feature at next year’s AFC U19 Championships in Indonesia after Ufuk Talay’s team secured a comprehensive 4-1 victory over DPR Korea in Hanoi on Wednesday.
After winning their opening match of Group J against Hong Kong at the weekend, the Young Socceroos knew that victory over DPR Korea in Vietnam would propel them to next year’s Championships proper.
Australia made a strong start to the crunch encounter, and took the lead just 19 minutes into the match. Fabian Monge rifled home a sweet volley to put the Young Socceroos ahead.
Less than ten minutes later Australia doubled their advantage when Moudi Najjar scored his third goal of the qualification phase after latching on to a cross from Jacob Italiano.
The Young Socceroos headed to the sheds 2-0 up, but just three minutes into the second stanza extended their buffer. Ramy Najjarine scored his second goal of the qualification phase to make the score 3-0.
While DPR Korea pulled a goal back in the 67th minute, they failed to take advantage of a golden chance to ensure that the match would go down to the wire in the 90th minute when they missed a penalty. Instead, after the ball cannoned off the post, the Young Socceroos counter attacked rapidly, racing down the other end of the field to seal victory courtesy of Melbourne Victory man Christian Theoharous.Young Socceroos
Following the fixture Young Socceroos Head Coach Ufuk Talay expressed his satisfaction in his team’s performance.
“The team put in a very good collective first half performance whereby they dominated possession and created the chances to go into half time with an even greater lead,” said Talay.
“The players took on the challenge of everything that was thrown at them, and came through with a deserved result.
“It was a good, solid performance all round, and has allowed this group to achieve its first goal of qualifying for the AFC U19 Championships next year,” concluded Talay. 
The 2018 AFC U19 Championships in Indonesia will be held between October 18 and November 4 next year.
The qualified teams for next year’s tournament are: Indonesia (hosts), United Arab Emirates, Tajikistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Korea Republic, China PR, Vietnam, Japan, Australia, Iraq, Malaysia, Chinese Taipei, Thailand, DPR Korea.

Gruen
Gruen
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Maybe we have found a coach who can do well at this level. Great to see us through so comfortably.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Great win, although i would not some highlights to see how they played.

Good to see Najjarine score in both matches, along with him and Brooks i rate those two talents when they were with the Joeys last year.

Both are potential game breakers.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Gruen - 9 Nov 2017 9:27 AM
Maybe we have found a coach who can do well at this level. Great to see us through so comfortably.

It's one game.

lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 9 Nov 2017 11:02 AM
Gruen - 9 Nov 2017 9:27 AM

It's one game.

2 actually 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

talay has looked a lot better than any other of the aussie youth coaches apart from maybe edwards who was probably one of the better ones. I don't think he has yet shown anything amazing just competence which is a nice change
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

lukerobinho - 9 Nov 2017 11:54 AM
TheSelectFew - 9 Nov 2017 11:02 AM

2 actually 

Golden Generation confirmed. Nothing can go wrong from here.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Milicic will coach the U23 side in China. Haven't read the article but this is permanent I take it? Ange needs a new assistant. Exciting and I'm glad we've kept the people who've been involved for a while. New perspectives can be good however I'd hate for someone to come in and come up with very odd selections and overlook our more talented players. 
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

johnszasz - 18 Nov 2017 8:32 PM
Milicic will coach the U23 side in China. Haven't read the article but this is permanent I take it? Ange needs a new assistant. Exciting and I'm glad we've kept the people who've been involved for a while. New perspectives can be good however I'd hate for someone to come in and come up with very odd selections and overlook our more talented players. 

Does it really mean he'd lose his job as Ange's assistant?
lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

As opposed to our normal selections 
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Interesting choice i felt he should have being in charge in the last AFC event instead Vidmar took over and we knew how that ended.

Anyway let's how it goes.
Edited
7 Years Ago by Barca4Life
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

I didn't even bother to read the article but you expect Milicic to join Ange in Russia unless he has some massive youth task at hand. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

lukerobinho - 18 Nov 2017 9:26 PM

As opposed to our normal selections 

I don't entirely get what you mean. You mean it's frustrating seeing much younger players picked when we have a very attractive bunch of U23 available all over the world? 
lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend

johnszasz - 18 Nov 2017 10:10 PM
lukerobinho - 18 Nov 2017 9:26 PM

I don't entirely get what you mean. You mean it's frustrating seeing much younger players picked when we have a very attractive bunch of U23 available all over the world? 

I just think in general the selections are a mixed bag of whos available who can get released by their club etc. 
lebo_roo
lebo_roo
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

The ffa release is very vague. It doesn't say if it's just for the January China  tournament or it's more longterm? Im pretty sure he stays as Socceroos assistant (just as Gombau was) as i dont see any U23 tournaments overlapping with fifa international windows although if he's Olyroos coach longterm than does he play U23 friendlies during fifa windows as Gombau did in Spain against Austria which makes him unavailable to sit beside Ange. 
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

lebo_roo - 19 Nov 2017 10:03 AM
The ffa release is very vague. It doesn't say if it's just for the January China  tournament or it's more longterm? Im pretty sure he stays as Socceroos assistant (just as Gombau was) as i dont see any U23 tournaments overlapping with fifa international windows although if he's Olyroos coach longterm than does he play U23 friendlies during fifa windows as Gombau did in Spain against Austria which makes him unavailable to sit beside Ange. 

Reading between the lines it sounds like a temporary doesn't mention anything about the Olympics qualifies for 2020.

Alot depends on Ange's motives but it seems Ante could be moving on with Ange as well. 
lebo_roo
lebo_roo
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Yep sounds temporary to me. 
GloryPerth
GloryPerth
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Ante Milicic is still with the NT staff and his position just adds the role of Senior Olyroos coach I guess. Gombau's role was like this too, being part of Ange's staff and on the NT bench for Socceroos games. Gombau was even there for the Honduras Qualifiers, even though he had technically left at that point for the Wanderers gig. Prior to gombau leaving, I think Milicic was assisting him with the Olyroos. Milicic just elevated now but the timing right, as the Socceroos work-load is a bit less now we've qualified and so it will just be the odd friendly and more heavy player and opposition scouting prep closer to the World Cup. This leaves a window for Milicic to spend more time on the Olyroos.

Edited
7 Years Ago by GloryPerth
GloryPerth
GloryPerth
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/new-olyroos-coach-milicic-dangles-world-cup-carrot-477918

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_AFC_U-23_Championship#Squads

Squads

Main article: 2018 AFC U-23 Championship squadsPlayers born on or after 1 January 1995 are eligible to compete in the tournament. Each team must register a squad of minimum 18 players and maximum 23 players, minimum three of whom must be goalkeepers (Regulations Articles 24.1 and 24.2).[9]

I'm hoping to see more Tokyo 2020 Eligible players though, or those born on or after 1 January 1997. The direct Qualifiers for the Tokyo Olympics will be the next AFC U-23 Championship following this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_AFC_U-23_Championship

The current Olyroos squad is leaning that way well, bringing through those players - it's just in defence where we need to bring through and expose more Tokyo-eligible talents and I hope Milicic will do that with this next squad. Kye Rowes and Connor O'Toole are two Tokyo-Eligible defenders who could be worthy of an Olyroos call up now. Liam Rose often plays in defence for the Mariners too.

Milicic was also watching the SFC v Jets game where Ivan Vujica has been featuring regularly for Newcastle and Johnny Koutroumbis is eligible too. Joey Champness has also impressed early season with the Jets and will surely be a call up as another option upfront. Brandon Wilson is a good Defensive half utility eligible and worthy of a call up from Perth. Dane ingham a RB option from the Roar. Even George Timotheou or Patrick Flottmann, centre-backs from Sydney FC who've yet to feature in the A-League for the team, but featured in the pre-season including the friendlies against European teams and seem to be close to pushing for first team - Timotheou especially seems a rated talent?

Hopefully Tom Glover will be the first-choice keeper.

Edited
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

GloryPerth - 19 Nov 2017 1:10 PM
https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/new-olyroos-coach-milicic-dangles-world-cup-carrot-477918

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_AFC_U-23_Championship#Squads

Squads

Main article: 2018 AFC U-23 Championship squadsPlayers born on or after 1 January 1995 are eligible to compete in the tournament. Each team must register a squad of minimum 18 players and maximum 23 players, minimum three of whom must be goalkeepers (Regulations Articles 24.1 and 24.2).[9]

I'm hoping to see more Tokyo 2020 Eligible players though, or those born on or after 1 January 1997. The direct Qualifiers for the Tokyo Olympics will be the next AFC U-23 Championship following this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_AFC_U-23_Championship

The current Olyroos squad is leaning that way well, bringing through those players - it's just in defence where we need to bring through and expose more Tokyo-eligible talents and I hope Viddie will do that with this next squad. Kye Rowes and Connor O'Toole are two Tokyo-Eligible defenders who could be worthy of an Olyroos call up now. Liam Rose often plays in defence for the Mariners too.

Looking at the squad from the qualifiers there's quite a few eligible for Tokyo. As for defenders, Deng is eligible, but unfortunately Tongyk is too old by two days!

As for the rest, Glover, McGree, Blackwood, Caletti, Buhagiar, Arzani, Baccus, Wilson, Scott, O'Doherty and Popovic are all still eligible so it's quite possible that the squad was picked with that in mind.

Gersbach, Pasquali, De Silva, Mells, Brimmer, Armenakas, O'Neill from Burnley, Cleur from Entella are just a few more established names that'll be eligible as well.
GloryPerth
GloryPerth
Legend

paladisious - 19 Nov 2017 1:49 PM
GloryPerth - 19 Nov 2017 1:10 PM

Looking at the squad from the qualifiers there's quite a few eligible for Tokyo. As for defenders, Deng is eligible, but unfortunately Tongyk is too old by two days!

As for the rest, Glover, McGree, Blackwood, Caletti, Buhagiar, Arzani, Baccus, Wilson, Scott, O'Doherty and Popovic are all still eligible so it's quite possible that the squad was picked with that in mind.

Gersbach, Pasquali, De Silva, Mells, Brimmer, Armenakas, O'Neill from Burnley, Cleur from Entella are just a few more established names that'll be eligible as well.

Indeed. We seem to lean on older players for the defence and/or defenders naturally only break through to senior football later, but since the qualifiers we've seen more eligible defenders push through and I've highlighted some of them above. We could arguably form a squad full of Tokyo 2020 Eligible talent who've all experienced senior club football in the A-League or overseas and could be just as competitive than a team with more mixed older gen talents. After what happened with the last two Olyroos cycles, the more eligible talents that can be exposed, given experience to strengthen the talent pool, the better for the team come January 2020.

Edited
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

Decent Olyroos squad, I wonder if the local players will go ahead and play.

Kind of feel sorry for the A-league club's here, maybe the FFA should have used a younger squad to prepare for Tokyo 2020? 

Edited
7 Years Ago by Barca4Life
GloryPerth
GloryPerth
Legend

It's definitely an impressive group, I really like the selections and a healthy number of Tokyo eligible players - the vast majority are Tokyo 2020 gen (1997 born or late) so could be part of this campaign right through, building up more battle-hardened experience through tournaments like these. We have the older boys supplementing in weaker positions I guess and that isn't too bad either for both where we need quality, where they need exposure at this level to impress Socceroos staff (As Milicic said) and to keep up the standard to force the others to lift their progress and/or allow the likes of Armenakas, Italiano, Arzani and other notable youths to develop further at club level. Lachlan Scott unlucky to miss out, but shows the quality we have upfront with Milislav Popovic a promising talent, Deni Juric clearly still regarded and Blackwood's playing time and form timely. Our midfield options especially strong and well balanced and the defence supplemented with good experience in the likes of Garuccio, Aspro and Gersbach.

The likes of Susnjar, Hrustic and even Sotirio seem to be there particularly for Milicic and co to assess for the wider NT set up too. IF they impress at this level, expect them to come into the extended senior NT camps reckoning again, for when the new coach comes in and seeks to assess the NT talent pool and where they're at with fitness and form.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

These U23 players should realise this is a golden opportunity to put themselves in the frame for Russia. A great tournament and a solid club showing until May could see them make the cut.

I always enjoy seeing a few fringe Socceroos coming back down to the U23. I think it shows they're level headed and glad to represent the country. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Going by the squad I'd like to see

Izzo 
Deng Aspro Tongyik Gersbach
McGree O'Neill 
Hrustic Da Silva Kamau
Popovic 

Lots of options really. Exciting. 
GloryPerth
GloryPerth
Legend

johnszasz - 21 Dec 2017 12:47 AM
Going by the squad I'd like to see

Izzo 
Deng Aspro Tongyik Gersbach
McGree O'Neill 
Hrustic Da Silva Kamau
Popovic 

Lots of options really. Exciting. 

Agreed and like the line-up, though it's quite likely Sotirio will be seen to be a key player and infront of Hrustic, Kamau and Buhagiar. Players who have shown good form in the A-League are most likely to start and Sotirio is one of those. Hrustic and other Europeans seem quite talented, but if they don't have the match fitness/form that puts them behind the eight-ball compared to their recently playing A-League squad rivals. Keanu Baccus will be hard to over-look too, given his recent MOTM form with the WSW. In this mix, I think McGree and his lack of match fitness could see him unlucky. Though Kamau hasn't impressed as much this A-League season, compared to last and may be no certainty to start either. This is why the depth of options soo exciting as you say, no guarantees of a place for any of them, bar Izzo (Though Glover regarded, he lacks recent fitness), De Silva and Aspro perhaps. It's also possible Milicic may favour Aspro and Deng as the consistent CB pairing, especially as Tongyik lacks the match fitness this season, so Cowburn would be the RB choice in that case.

Gruen
Gruen
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

GloryPerth - 21 Dec 2017 1:40 AM
johnszasz - 21 Dec 2017 12:47 AM

Agreed and like the line-up, though it's quite likely Sotirio will be seen to be a key player and infront of Hrustic, Kamau and Buhagiar. Players who have shown good form in the A-League are most likely to start and Sotirio is one of those. Hrustic and other Europeans seem quite talented, but if they don't have the match fitness/form that puts them behind the eight-ball compared to their recently playing A-League squad rivals. Keanu Baccus will be hard to over-look too, given his recent MOTM form with the WSW. In this mix, I think McGree and his lack of match fitness could see him unlucky. Though Kamau hasn't impressed as much this A-League season, compared to last and may be no certainty to start either. This is why the depth of options soo exciting as you say, no guarantees of a place for any of them, bar Izzo (Though Glover regarded, he lacks recent fitness), De Silva and Aspro perhaps. It's also possible Milicic may favour Aspro and Deng as the consistent CB pairing, especially as Tongyik lacks the match fitness this season, so Cowburn would be the RB choice in that case.

Why would McGree be lacking match fitness when he has been playing regularly for the reserves team?
Surely Susnjar is a chance to start given he has been playing every game for Teplice in the Czech league.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search