♔ ♕ ♚ ♛ Australia U17/U20/U23 National Team Tournaments & Discussion Thread ♔ ♕ ♚ ♛

♔ ♕ ♚ ♛ Australia U17/U20/U23 National Team Tournaments & Discussion...

Author
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
playmaker11 - 18 Jun 2022 11:53 PM
Trewin's a goalkeeper?

We wouldn’t have even been in that situation if Jeff Wiggle didn’t lazily carry an easy ball out for the corner. 
SoccerooFan
SoccerooFan
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Yengi has looked dangerous when he's got the ball to his feet, Rawlins & Bos playing well, as is Francois. D'Arrigo's passing has been shit. Bilo started badly & didn't improve much 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Tournament went how expected. 4th place. Didn't deliver on the critical games. Some better composure to get that far but problem of our own making with discipline. Learned a lot about certain players. 
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Once again we lose to Japan, what was the last time we beat them at any level? I recalled we beat in the u16 championship in 2014? But it’s been a long while let’s just say that. 

It’s clear to see Australian coaches are adequate nor flexible in how to utilise our players on an international level, so frustrating watching us play such a safe but also predict style of football when the likes of Japan play a different style to us we have so much to learn, but of course the discourse will be about pathways and the bloody curriculum and not the type of football that is needed to be successful at this level…

Edited
2 Years Ago by Barca4Life
Alfred
Alfred
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (239 reputation)Hardcore Fan (239 reputation)Hardcore Fan (239 reputation)Hardcore Fan (239 reputation)Hardcore Fan (239 reputation)Hardcore Fan (239 reputation)Hardcore Fan (239 reputation)Hardcore Fan (239 reputation)Hardcore Fan (239 reputation)Hardcore Fan (239 reputation)Hardcore Fan (239 reputation)

Just watched the replay.
Very poor performance overall
Bilokapic was woefull
I reckon Gauci saves the first goal, he would have been out and claimed the corner that Trewin put in the net and the third goal was very close to Bilokapic as well.
I thought Yengi did okay up front when he got the ball despite most of the time being up against more than one defender, he shouldn't have been taken off for Kuol.
Najjarine did nothing but Brook has hardly any better when he replaced him.
Bernardo and Hammond were both poor.
Miller and Peupion really improved things with their combination down the right hand side
Alfred
Alfred
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (239 reputation)Hardcore Fan (239 reputation)Hardcore Fan (239 reputation)Hardcore Fan (239 reputation)Hardcore Fan (239 reputation)Hardcore Fan (239 reputation)Hardcore Fan (239 reputation)Hardcore Fan (239 reputation)Hardcore Fan (239 reputation)Hardcore Fan (239 reputation)Hardcore Fan (239 reputation)

chondro - 18 Jun 2022 11:48 PM
Weve got plenty of 01/02 keepers other than Bilokapic if we were to make Olympics next afc u23

Cook
Pavlesic
Kaye
James
Calderbank-Park

I think Steven Hall should be added to the list, he looked reasonable good when he played for Adelaide United.
Capac
Capac
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

I think we're under estimating how well Japan played defensively.

I think especially in the first half we had some good passages of play going forward but the Japanese defense was very well organised and compact. 

Overall I'm relatively happy with the tournament
 We got to see how a lot of the younger players fair at an international level.

I think most importantly this side is the best under age side we've had when it comes to working the ball through compact defenses and high presses. In the past all our sides have struggled with this and it looks like this is hopefully starting to change. Now if we could only train strikers. 

huddo
huddo
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Just like to point out the three games in which nisbet participated in we won.
The three he didn't we didnt win.
Maybe a coincidence, maybe a loss of structure in the spine assisted to our failings.
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Who of the squad could we be looking at to move into the Socceroos squad in the next couple of years?  

I don't think we were convincing in any of the games.  Hopefully our reputation for producing late bloomers will see some of the players improve to international standard to add to the 2 or 3 that looked good most of the time but there are quite a lot of them that will struggle.
Boonjeh
Boonjeh
Hacker
Hacker (350 reputation)Hacker (350 reputation)Hacker (350 reputation)Hacker (350 reputation)Hacker (350 reputation)Hacker (350 reputation)Hacker (350 reputation)Hacker (350 reputation)Hacker (350 reputation)Hacker (350 reputation)Hacker (350 reputation)

A couple of thoughts about the game:
- despite the result, that was much more enjoyable to watch than the stop-start train wreck of the Saudi game. It was a free flowing game with no real controversies. I enjoyed the fact that Japanese players didn’t once fake injury or try to coax the ref into booking players (maybe there was one borderline time towards the end). This allowed the game to flow and showed a great amount of respect and discipline between both teams.
- Francois was phenomenal, in my opinion. Best game I have seen from him by far and I think he did his chances of a WC bolter spot no harm. He was everywhere, winning challenges almost every time and his passing game was on point. He was our best player.
- Miller and Peupion combo down the right was a delight to watch - it’s a shame it came too late.
- Miller is quickly becoming one of my favourite options at right back. He’s a machine and very robust - some of his challenges were top notch. He also has some nice dribbling skills, which is very ‘Brazilian fullback-esque’; he just needs to work on his end product a bit more.
- Rawlins was solid and will be a good prospect in the coming years. It was a big change going into the middle, and that caught him out a bit.
- Najjarine didn’t show me enough end product to justify the amount of game time he got in the tournament. I was quite frustrated with him most of the time.
- Our inverted wingers (at all age groups) need to be better. So many positive counter attacks were stopped because they didn’t want to cross off their weak foot. And we then stopped the run, passed back to midfield and then back to defence. Often, Yengi and at least one or two others had made a run into the box, but we never used them because we tried the slow, safe option almost every time. The one exception in the first half was when Rawlins made a run up the line and actually cut it onto his left foot and put a cross in and Yengi had a great chance to score.
- I like Bernardo, but he is still so hot and cold. This season needs to be a big one for him.
- Our players constantly make poor decisions, whether that is trying to dribble past too many defenders constantly (Bernardo) or trying to be too cute along the sideline and not playing the obvious pass (Najjarine). Also, discipline and brain explosions happened way too much with this team.
- I like JRB. He could be an excellent defender, with a bit more discipline.
- Hammond was almost unused in the first half but did get much more involved in the second. You could tell he hasn’t had too many minutes this season, as his touches got heavy towards the end. 
- Overall, our attacking play improved incredibly when Peupion and Miller came on, which opened up more space for Bos and Hammond down the left. I also enjoyed Brook as a CAM instead of Najjarine.
- Why do all Australian players seem so slow compared to our Asian opponents!?!? Did you notice how quickly the Japanese could have a turn of speed and set themselves up to shoot? They are so dynamic and our players can’t keep up. Japan had an excellent chance early on in the match that exemplified this. It was on the right side of the 18 yard box, the Japanese player took a touch to his right, then burst onto his left, creating a huge amount of open space and unleashed a left foot shot. Why can’t we do that? Even our players of similar build/physique aren’t as dynamic as that. Japans first goal was also an example of that.

I learnt a lot from the tournament haha :)

Booney
Booney
Amateur
Amateur (683 reputation)Amateur (683 reputation)Amateur (683 reputation)Amateur (683 reputation)Amateur (683 reputation)Amateur (683 reputation)Amateur (683 reputation)Amateur (683 reputation)Amateur (683 reputation)Amateur (683 reputation)Amateur (683 reputation)

Of that team and looking to the next WC cycle Miller,Peupion,Francois and Rawlins looked the most likely  to make the step up.Yengi and Kuol with better service would also be chances and JRB has the size and toughness but needs to curb some of his undisciplined ways.

Gauci actually surprised me and commanded his penalty area very well.Bilokapic looked all at sea-not confident and surprisingly inept.Nisbet underutilised so his capabilities  not fully demonstrated.

playmaker11
playmaker11
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

FT Uzbekistan 0-2 Saudi

By now, American Samoa must have realised that Australias 22-0 win over Tonga two days earlier was no fluke.

Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Second tournament in a row we’ve lost the semi against the winner. 
charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Boonjeh - 19 Jun 2022 3:03 PM
A couple of thoughts about the game:
- despite the result, that was much more enjoyable to watch than the stop-start train wreck of the Saudi game. It was a free flowing game with no real controversies. I enjoyed the fact that Japanese players didn’t once fake injury or try to coax the ref into booking players (maybe there was one borderline time towards the end). This allowed the game to flow and showed a great amount of respect and discipline between both teams.
- Francois was phenomenal, in my opinion. Best game I have seen from him by far and I think he did his chances of a WC bolter spot no harm. He was everywhere, winning challenges almost every time and his passing game was on point. He was our best player.
- Miller and Peupion combo down the right was a delight to watch - it’s a shame it came too late.
- Miller is quickly becoming one of my favourite options at right back. He’s a machine and very robust - some of his challenges were top notch. He also has some nice dribbling skills, which is very ‘Brazilian fullback-esque’; he just needs to work on his end product a bit more.
- Rawlins was solid and will be a good prospect in the coming years. It was a big change going into the middle, and that caught him out a bit.
- Najjarine didn’t show me enough end product to justify the amount of game time he got in the tournament. I was quite frustrated with him most of the time.
- Our inverted wingers (at all age groups) need to be better. So many positive counter attacks were stopped because they didn’t want to cross off their weak foot. And we then stopped the run, passed back to midfield and then back to defence. Often, Yengi and at least one or two others had made a run into the box, but we never used them because we tried the slow, safe option almost every time. The one exception in the first half was when Rawlins made a run up the line and actually cut it onto his left foot and put a cross in and Yengi had a great chance to score.
- I like Bernardo, but he is still so hot and cold. This season needs to be a big one for him.
- Our players constantly make poor decisions, whether that is trying to dribble past too many defenders constantly (Bernardo) or trying to be too cute along the sideline and not playing the obvious pass (Najjarine). Also, discipline and brain explosions happened way too much with this team.
- I like JRB. He could be an excellent defender, with a bit more discipline.
- Hammond was almost unused in the first half but did get much more involved in the second. You could tell he hasn’t had too many minutes this season, as his touches got heavy towards the end. 
- Overall, our attacking play improved incredibly when Peupion and Miller came on, which opened up more space for Bos and Hammond down the left. I also enjoyed Brook as a CAM instead of Najjarine.
- Why do all Australian players seem so slow compared to our Asian opponents!?!? Did you notice how quickly the Japanese could have a turn of speed and set themselves up to shoot? They are so dynamic and our players can’t keep up. Japan had an excellent chance early on in the match that exemplified this. It was on the right side of the 18 yard box, the Japanese player took a touch to his right, then burst onto his left, creating a huge amount of open space and unleashed a left foot shot. Why can’t we do that? Even our players of similar build/physique aren’t as dynamic as that. Japans first goal was also an example of that.

I learnt a lot from the tournament haha :)

The "superior athleticism" of Australian players has been a myth for some time at the all levels of our national teams. I don't understand them reasons either. Is it because our best athletes are syphoned off by the other codes? Leckie's pace hasn't gone and it can't think of one player we have who is genuinely fast on and off the ball at the international level. 
charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

charlied - 20 Jun 2022 6:04 AM
Boonjeh - 19 Jun 2022 3:03 PM

The "superior athleticism" of Australian players has been a myth for some time at the all levels of our national teams. I don't understand them reasons either. Is it because our best athletes are syphoned off by the other codes? Leckie's pace hasn't gone and it can't think of one player we have who is genuinely fast on and off the ball at the international level. 

Leckie's pace HAS gone 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

https://youtu.be/OqJDzJ8hdqs

Clinical goals in the final for Saudi Arabia. I wonder what they're doing there with youth development. 
JDUB
JDUB
Super Fan
Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)

Clinical finishers across all levels. Seems from the Socceroos all the way down we struggle to get players coming through that can regularly put the ball in the net. Hopefully Archie Goodwin can change this but I can’t think of any other younger aussie who can make their own shot and finish clinically around the box 
huddo
huddo
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

JDUB - 20 Jun 2022 10:03 AM
Clinical finishers across all levels. Seems from the Socceroos all the way down we struggle to get players coming through that can regularly put the ball in the net. Hopefully Archie Goodwin can change this but I can’t think of any other younger aussie who can make their own shot and finish clinically around the box 

Garang Kuol?
Yengi?

sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

huddo - 20 Jun 2022 10:51 AM

Garang Kuol?
Yengi?

Mohamed Toure and Nestory Irankunda as well.

Even Al Hassan can as well even if he isn’t the player we all thought he’d be.
SoccerooFan
SoccerooFan
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

sub007 - 20 Jun 2022 12:47 PM

Mohamed Toure and Nestory Irankunda as well.

Even Al Hassan can as well even if he isn’t the player we all thought he’d be.

Hopefully Mo develops quickly in France, so by the time the Olympics come around, he's scoring goals regularly. I can see Irankunda regularly scoring goals in the a league - he'll be a weapon in a couple of years 
Mr Cleansheets
Mr Cleansheets
Rising Star
Rising Star (870 reputation)Rising Star (870 reputation)Rising Star (870 reputation)Rising Star (870 reputation)Rising Star (870 reputation)Rising Star (870 reputation)Rising Star (870 reputation)Rising Star (870 reputation)Rising Star (870 reputation)Rising Star (870 reputation)Rising Star (870 reputation)

Garang Kuol?
Yengi?

Garang Kuol's finishing is the most impressive part of his game. I'd looking very closely if I were Arnie.

There must be a youtube highlights reel somewhere...
JDUB
JDUB
Super Fan
Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)

Whats the next youth tournament coming up?
Podiacide
Podiacide
Rising Star
Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)

JDUB - 20 Jun 2022 6:45 PM
Whats the next youth tournament coming up?

I think it’s u20 AFC cup qualification in September (14-18)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_AFC_U-20_Asian_Cup_qualification
played in Iraq of all places. 
Our group: India, Iraq, Kuwait. Must finish at least top 2 to get to u20 cup in March 2023. 
Players born after 1 Jan 2003.
I hope it being in Iraq doesn’t frighten our players off going. 
We could have a great group
for this tournament even though a lot of our players might be rusty as it’s A league pre season 

Who would be in everyone’s squad? 

If they do really well, they could make it to under 20 World Cup in Indonesia next year (someone say road trip?)

sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

A few players that have to be in the squad are M Toure, G Kuol, Irankunda, Bernardo, Lopane and Rawlins.
sub007
sub007
World Class

I’d imagine an XI would look something like this?

Hall
Rawlins Triantis Bonetig Forde
Yull Lopane
Kuol Bernardo Irankunda 
Toure

I reckon we could see the likes of Cox, Alagich, Valadon, Dukuly, Hammond, RBR, Caputo and maybe even Alex Robertson on the bench.

That’s our XI sorted, back up keeper as well as squad players for the midfield and attack. Just got to find a few defenders now. 
Edited
2 Years Ago by sub007
Bowden
Bowden
Legend

Lots of quality attacking players in that U20 cohort that we’ll need to try and squeeze in which is a nice problem to have.

Would absolutely love for Steven Hall to get the call-up in goals as he’s actually so young that he could play in both the following U20 Asian Cup / World Cup (in 2025) AND the 2028 Olympics!
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Our U17 have Asian Cup qualifying vs China, Cambodia and North Mariana Islands in Shepparton early October. Going back over previous tournaments, semis in 2014 including a 4:2 win over Japan. Out on penalties in semis vs Best Korea. Shite since then. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Bowden - 20 Jun 2022 10:37 PM
Lots of quality attacking players in that U20 cohort that we’ll need to try and squeeze in which is a nice problem to have.

Would absolutely love for Steven Hall to get the call-up in goals as he’s actually so young that he could play in both the following U20 Asian Cup / World Cup (in 2025) AND the 2028 Olympics!

Schwarzer was asked which young keeper he rates the most and he named Hall. After a bit of a scare regarding the future we've seen some very good young keepers shining through. We should be fine. 
JDUB
JDUB
Super Fan

sub007 - 20 Jun 2022 10:20 PM
I’d imagine an XI would look something like this?

Hall
Rawlins Triantis Bonetig Forde
Yull Lopane
Kuol Bernardo Irankunda 
Toure

I reckon we could see the likes of Cox, Alagich, Valadon, Dukuly, Hammond, RBR, Caputo and maybe even Alex Robertson on the bench.

That’s our XI sorted, a backup keeper as well as squad players for the midfield and attack. Just got to find a few defenders now. 

Just imagine if we added Circati and Volpato to this squad. Then that attack looks unstoppable with two really good defenders in Circati and Rawlins
JDUB
JDUB
Super Fan

We need both the u20s and u17s to be in the semi-finals or better  in the Asian cups if we are to continue building back to where we once were in the footballing world
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search