♔ ♕ ♚ ♛ Australia U17/U20/U23 National Team Tournaments & Discussion Thread ♔ ♕ ♚ ♛

♔ ♕ ♚ ♛ Australia U17/U20/U23 National Team Tournaments & Discussion...

Author
mark_000au
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
bbouy - 2 Apr 2024 6:02 AM
Countries are starting to release their U23 teams with all of them currently releasing provisional squads to be reduced to 23 players. 

Specifically, Indonesia released their squad and it has a few notable inclusions such as Ferdinan, Sulaeman, Hubner, Struick and Jenner. They all played against us at the Asian Cup and we're all very good compared to their older senior players. One notable omission is defender Baggott who was also very good against us. Just pointing out this as we face Indonesia second in the group and to not underestimate their ability at this level. 

South Korea has also listed their final squad with Yang Hyun-Jun from Celtic and Bae Jun-Ho from Stoke both participating. Confused at how Yang is released from Celtic but we can't get either Triantis or Nieuwenhof from the SPL? Almost identical squad from the WAFF tournament for Korea so we know the level roughly. 

Seems that Australia will release their squad anytime in the next few days and I wonder if they will bring a provisional squad or not? I'd imagine they just announce the final 23 players outright. Should be interesting. 

🙏🙏 Please let me see Irankunda on that list 🙏🙏

Yang is a bench warmer in Celtic. He won't be playing for the club so they release him.
SoccerooFan
SoccerooFan
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

bbouy - 31 Mar 2024 10:00 PM
grazorblade - 31 Mar 2024 7:23 PM

Dreaming of the Irankunda, Toure, Garang front three. Vidmar surely can't rid us of that?

If Velupillay is picked ahead of Irankunda it's a joke. He's not a bad player, he just can't put it into the back of the net - he's squandered so many chances for MV this season. If Irankunda was playing for MV & on the end of those Arzani deliveries, he would've been double digit goals. 
robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

bbouy - 31 Mar 2024 10:00 PM
grazorblade - 31 Mar 2024 7:23 PM

Dreaming of the Irankunda, Toure, Garang front three. Vidmar surely can't rid us of that?

Mate what a dream!!!!

bbouy
bbouy
Rising Star
Rising Star (856 reputation)Rising Star (856 reputation)Rising Star (856 reputation)Rising Star (856 reputation)Rising Star (856 reputation)Rising Star (856 reputation)Rising Star (856 reputation)Rising Star (856 reputation)Rising Star (856 reputation)Rising Star (856 reputation)Rising Star (856 reputation)

The Olyroos squad has been leaked on FTBL https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/irankunda-hit-by-shock-olyroos-snub-606694

Irankunda has been snubbed. Toure, Tilio, Garang included and the rest as expected. They seriously chose Velupillay and Brook over Milanovic and Irankunda. Honestly repeated bad decisions like this from Vidmar, if we don't qualify he should seriously be replaced at this point. Terrible!
Edited
Last Month by bbouy
bbouy
bbouy
Rising Star
Rising Star (856 reputation)Rising Star (856 reputation)Rising Star (856 reputation)Rising Star (856 reputation)Rising Star (856 reputation)Rising Star (856 reputation)Rising Star (856 reputation)Rising Star (856 reputation)Rising Star (856 reputation)Rising Star (856 reputation)Rising Star (856 reputation)

I simply don't understand the negative reinforcement rhetoric from Vidmar here. Milanovic snubbed as well? Like reward these players for performing well. I would've picked Garang and Tilio as well as Irankunda but how could possibly say that either of those players deserve it over Irankunda this season or even Milanovic? Even if he has been inconsistent, he has always been a consistent threat and the most impactful player every time he is on the pitch. And at U23 level he may be one of our only consistent attacking outlets. 

Flash forward in a few weeks when we are down 0-2 to Japan in the QF and Vidmar is wishing he chose Irankunda. Like wtf are you thinking? 
bbouy
bbouy
Rising Star

It's such an unfair judgement held on Irankunda. Like go down the list of players and none of them are judged as heavily. Valadon barely gets on the pitch and is selected. Toure hasn't played in months, Garang doesn't play at all, Tilio has played like 4 games, Velupillay is terrible in front of goal every week, Talbot has not been good enough for club or country, JCP inconsistent, Girdwood Reich has cost Sydney multiple points for red cards, Lachie Brook is even more inconsistent and is barely noticeable in a game, Youlley hardly plays. I like a lot of these players but like what are we actually doing here? Why is it that Irankunda is poor unless he scores 15+ goals this season, when the other wingers have a combined like 4 games played each this year. 

"Let's not put too much pressure on Irankunda" 

Also him: 

Crushingly disappoint Irankunda's efforts with negative reinforcement when we really need him

bbouy
bbouy
Rising Star

This is what I've deducted the team to be from that article. 

Beach
Hall
Cook
Italiano
Talbot
Natta
Girdwood-Reich
Bility
CB 4: JCP?
Farrell
JCP/Mauragis
Teague
Valadon
D’Arrigo
Youlley
Hollman
Segecic
Brook
Velupillay
Garang
Tilio
Toure
Alou 

Like it's pretty solid but possibly a downgrade from some of the u23 teams we've brought in the past 12 months. 
Couldn't annotate the fourth mystery 'CB' unless they're going with JCP as CB and Mauragis as backup LB and it seems Viking have denied Yazbek clearance to play. 
Edited
Last Month by bbouy
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

bbouy - 4 Apr 2024 2:08 AM
I simply don't understand the negative reinforcement rhetoric from Vidmar here. Milanovic snubbed as well? Like reward these players for performing well. I would've picked Garang and Tilio as well as Irankunda but how could possibly say that either of those players deserve it over Irankunda this season or even Milanovic? Even if he has been inconsistent, he has always been a consistent threat and the most impactful player every time he is on the pitch. And at U23 level he may be one of our only consistent attacking outlets. 

Flash forward in a few weeks when we are down 0-2 to Japan in the QF and Vidmar is wishing he chose Irankunda. Like wtf are you thinking? 

There must be something behind the scenes we dont know about. His early career is the best of any winger in the a league or nsl era, viduka is the only better early career albeit in a different position

Really hope we dont lose him or volpato and these guys know what they are doing
bbouy
bbouy
Rising Star

I know I'm ranting but can we talk about how Vidmar spoke about saving Irankunda for the U20's when neither the U20 qualifiers this year or the U20 Asian Cup next year are in the FIFA Window so Bayern won't released him for either. If Irankunda isn't selected for Paris, he may never play for a junior national team again. Might be the last time you could've picked him for one of these squads
Edited
Last Month by bbouy
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

bbouy - 4 Apr 2024 2:31 AM
This is what I've deducted the team to be from that article. 

Beach
Hall
Cook
Italiano
Talbot
Natta
Girdwood-Reich
Bility
CB 4: JCP?
Farrell
JCP/Mauragis
Teague
Valadon
D’Arrigo
Youlley
Hollman
Segecic
Brook
Velupillay
Garang
Tilio
Toure
Alou 

Like it's pretty solid but possibly a downgrade from some of the u23 teams we've brought in the past 12 months. 
Couldn't annotate the fourth mystery 'CB' unless they're going with JCP as CB and Mauragis as backup LB and it seems Viking have denied Yazbek clearance to play. 

On the downside circumstances (injury or club getting in the way) and selection (in the case of irankunda) risks qualification. On the upside if we dont qualify we can take comfort in the players we have. Just one xi i can give from this squad

---------------------bilapovic------------------
--rawlins----triantis----circati---bos----
-------------neiwenhof--yazbek-----------
--------------------robertson-----------------
--irankunda-volpato-chipperfield-

Sadly, midfield goes from being our strongest position to our weakest. I have confidence in teague and segecic from the last 12 months but less confident in the others. Striker is a strong position for us with mo toure back from injury at last
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

I hope the news is wrong. How reliable is Dave Lewis? I think previous leaks didn't see someone like Jones or Iredale event hinted at.

At least Brook and Velupillay have been in the frame for a good while. I'm disappointed but that's the players Vidmar wants to go with. 

Still, it's vital we call up these limbo players in June and just get the capping sorted. Irankunda surely won't be swayed to an African nation but let's not take any chances. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

bbouy - 4 Apr 2024 2:51 AM
I know I'm ranting but can we talk about how Vidmar spoke about saving Irankunda for the U20's when neither the U20 qualifiers this year or the U20 Asian Cup next year are in the FIFA Window so Bayern won't released him for either. If Irankunda isn't selected for Paris, he may never play for a junior national team again. Might be the last time you could've picked him for one of these squads

Lets just hope there is something we dont see behind the scenes

Having irankunda on the bench at any level just gives other players the confidence to attack because there is always the chance of a miracle goal from him if things go wrong. But anyway, our second string side we have is miles better than the first stribg side we had 4 years ago
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Wait i just realized we can play a mid of teague segecic and holman which is good enough
SoccerooFan
SoccerooFan
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

bbouy - 4 Apr 2024 2:03 AM
The Olyroos squad has been leaked on FTBL https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/irankunda-hit-by-shock-olyroos-snub-606694

Irankunda has been snubbed. Toure, Tilio, Garang included and the rest as expected. They seriously chose Velupillay and Brook over Milanovic and Irankunda. Honestly repeated bad decisions like this from Vidmar, if we don't qualify he should seriously be replaced at this point. Terrible!

I've counted the players mentioned in the article & there's only 20 and the squad is 23. I'm seriously hoping that Milanovic is one of the 3 not listed, otherwise Vidmar is a complete & utter flop. Milanovic has been one of the best players in the entire comp this season & he picks Velupillay?!!! What a joke 
bbouy
bbouy
Rising Star

One silver lining with Irankunda is at least he can play out his final games for Adelaide United. 

The team of players that are unavailable is pretty insane. That's a very strong team and would wipe the water with this team but it's still good enough to qualify if it goes right on our day but we have less and less control over that. 

My best 11

Hall
Italiano   Girdwood-Reich   Natta    Farrell
                  Teague 
            Hollman    Segecic
   G.Kuol         Toure       Tilio

G.Kuol could be a sub, but knowing Vidmar this is not the team I'd expect to see. More likely to see D'Arrigo in there as well as Alou, Velupillay and Brook front three. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

SoccerooFan - 4 Apr 2024 2:57 AM

I've counted the players mentioned in the article & there's only 20 and the squad is 23. I'm seriously hoping that Milanovic is one of the 3 not listed, otherwise Vidmar is a complete & utter flop. Milanovic has been one of the best players in the entire comp this season & he picks Velupillay?!!! What a joke 

Laugh if one of the missing 3 was irankunda :D
bbouy
bbouy
Rising Star

Milanovic is in, which is big.

Edited
Last Month by bbouy
bbouy
bbouy
Rising Star

NAME

CLUB

JUNIOR FOOTBALL CLUB / MEMBER FEDERATION

Patrick BEACH (Gk)

Melbourne City FC

Glenmore Park FC / Football New South Wales

Lachlan BROOK

Western Sydney Wanderers FC

Gawler Eagles FC / Football South Australia

Cameron COOK (Gk)

Perth Glory FC

Vikings FC (Football Northern Territory)

Jordan COURTNEY-PERKINS

Sydney FC

Newmarket SFC / Football Queensland

Louis D'ARRIGO

Lechia Gdansk

West Torrens Birkalla SC / Football South Australia

Jacob FARRELL

Central Coast Mariners FC

Wyoming FC / Football New South Wales

Jake GIRDWOOD-REICH

Sydney FC

Sydney Olympic FC / Football New South Wales

Steven HALL (Gk)

Brighton Hove & Albion FC (Youth)

Para Hills Knights SC / Football South Australia

Jake HOLLMAN

Macarthur FC

Seaforth FC / Football New South Wales

Jacob ITALIANO

Borussia Monchengladbach II

Inglewood United FC / Football West

Alou KUOL

Central Coast Mariners FC

Goulburn Valley Suns FC / Football Victoria

Garang KUOL

FC Volendam

Shepparton SC / Football Victoria

Nicolas MILANOVIC

Western Sydney Wanderers FC

Sydney United 58 FC / Football New South Wales

Mark NATTA

Newcastle Jets FC

Sutherland Sharks FC / Football New South Wales

Alexandar POPOVIC

Gwangju FC

Adelaide Comets FC / Football South Australia

Adrian SEGECIC

FC Dordrecht

Lidcombe Waratah Junior SC / Football New South Wales

Callum TALBOT

Melbourne City FC

Gymea United FC / Football NSW

Ryan TEAGUE

Melbourne Victory FC

Maroubra United FC / Football New South Wales

Marco TILIO

Melbourne City FC (loan)

APIA Leichhardt FC & Sydney Olympic FC / Football NSW

Mohamed TOURE

Paris FC (loan)

Croydon Kings / Football South Australia

Jordi VALADON

Melbourne Victory FC

Glen Eira FC / Football Victoria

Nishan VELUPILLAY

Melbourne Victory FC

Endeavour United SC / Football Victoria

Rhys YOULLEY

KVC Westerlo

Marconi Stallions FC / Football New South Wales

robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

bbouy - 4 Apr 2024 3:05 AM
Milanovic is in, which is big.

He's been outstanding this year.

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Its a shame the noise of Irankunda non-inclusion as its a quite a good squad.

Good to see Mo Toure back, and Tilio and Teague will help us alot too.

bbouy
bbouy
Rising Star

Barca4Life - 4 Apr 2024 11:29 AM
Its a shame the noise of Irankunda non-inclusion as its a quite a good squad.

Good to see Mo Toure back, and Tilio and Teague will help us alot too.

It's probably a slightly worse squad than the one we brought for the Qatar/Saudi Arabia friendlies late last year, or pretty equal. I thought we played good in spurts there but didn't look very comfortable at all times. 

I just hope Irankunda isn't the difference maker, because in a game where 50/50 chance we play Japan in the QF's just to get a chance to qualify in the next round then Irankunda might've been our only outlet in attack in a game like that, history shows that Japan like to control games against us. Just adding Irankunda alone would far improve the squad, I think it would even alleviate pressure from Toure and Garang or any attacking pairs that play with Irankunda as all the defence focus is shifting to him allowing space for others. The squad overall is basically the best we can bring with a few minor gripes like maybe Simmons/Rawlins over Talbot etc. 
robbos
robbos
Pro

bbouy - 4 Apr 2024 11:37 AM
Barca4Life - 4 Apr 2024 11:29 AM

It's probably a slightly worse squad than the one we brought for the Qatar/Saudi Arabia friendlies late last year, or pretty equal. I thought we played good in spurts there but didn't look very comfortable at all times. 

I just hope Irankunda isn't the difference maker, because in a game where 50/50 chance we play Japan in the QF's just to get a chance to qualify in the next round then Irankunda might've been our only outlet in attack in a game like that, history shows that Japan like to control games against us. Just adding Irankunda alone would far improve the squad, I think it would even alleviate pressure from Toure and Garang or any attacking pairs that play with Irankunda as all the defence focus is shifting to him allowing space for others. The squad overall is basically the best we can bring with a few minor gripes like maybe Simmons/Rawlins over Talbot etc. 

This is a good squad & the best we can bring, now imagine if we could pick all our best players & include Irakunda, Circati, Volpato, Bos, Yazbek, Niewenhof & Robertson

bbouy
bbouy
Rising Star

This is reported by Daniel Garb. 

"If we make the Olympics, which is a tough ask, it'll be an interesting situation again.The word is Bayern wants him with their first team squad immediately and is keen to take him on their pre-season tour of the USA. That might be more beneficial for him. If that call has been made for this squad, likelihood is it'll be the same for Paris if we're there."
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

biggest kick in the teeth is the Tilio selection... - oops, I just ate my own poop... has literally done nothing in 2 years.

I don't believe the bullshit from Garb... Bayern will have to replace Tuchel in the summer as he's out of contract.

If they go the Alonso route... he doesn't even use wingers.... he really going to play as a wide forward ahead of Sane, Choupo-Moting, Musiala, Coman, Gnabry and Muller? 
Edited
Last Month by jas88
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

I'd always take Tilio over Peupion who has plateaued immensely. Interesting Bilokapic out but that's the right call given his lack of game time. A shame we couldn't get Yazbek in. 
bbouy
bbouy
Rising Star

johnszasz - 4 Apr 2024 5:39 PM
I'd always take Tilio over Peupion who has plateaued immensely. Interesting Bilokapic out but that's the right call given his lack of game time. A shame we couldn't get Yazbek in. 

Yeah I agree. Peupion was never in my plans.
bbouy
bbouy
Rising Star

Japan released their team today. 

A lot of worried supporters with doubts that this team isn't good enough to progress to Paris. Similar to us, most of their European players have been denied. 
Edited
Last Month by bbouy
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

bbouy - 4 Apr 2024 6:01 PM
johnszasz - 4 Apr 2024 5:39 PM

Yeah I agree. Peupion was never in my plans.

To be fair peupion has been converted into a right back like italiano. Also getting mamed on the bench a lot and still more than young enough
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Is irankunda still finishinf high school?
bbouy
bbouy
Rising Star

grazorblade - 4 Apr 2024 6:11 PM
Is irankunda still finishinf high school?

Graduated last year with 05 born students.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search