Two major differences b/w Dutch KNVB & FFA NC

Two major differences b/w Dutch KNVB & FFA NC

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Even though the KNVB is one of four parent countries' curricula the FFA NC is supposedly based on, there are a few massive differences.

1. When it comes to technique acquisition, the Dutch KNVB believes a coach works on technically developing a player for life. That is, work on technique right up until their last training sessions at senior level, just before they retire. There is a lifelong aim for a coach to constantly try and improve a player's technique.

Conversely, FFA believe that once a player is past the Golden Age of learning, and possibly after 15, that a player is not going to get much better. I've had high level coaches suggest to me to stop trying to improve a 17 year old player's technique, as it as too late. They've said they are t payer they are going to be, and there is little one can do to improve their technique .

I studied another sport, karate from the age of 16 onwards. One constantly tries to improve one's technique.

2. The KNB also believes that when imparting technique, it is important to slow everything down in speed, in order to acquire good technique slowly and incrementally . As one becomes more proficient , one increases the speed. This is the same again in karate training I did.

Conversely, the FFA constantly talk about making everything realistic. That is, to constantly conduct technical practices at realistic, or game speed, without slow, incremental, improvement.

In both the aforementioned instances, I believe the KNVB are correct. I also believe FFA is wrong. It has also brought me into some lively debates at coaching courses with FFA coach educators.

I'm not sure which of the other parent federations, France, Spain or Germany, have influenced the FFA NC to dismiss technique development past the mid teens, or, make everything realistic in speed, when a player is learning a new skill, or trying to improve an old one?

Edited by Decentric: 16/8/2015 01:41:40 PM
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search