How many of you read academic football papers?

How many of you read academic football papers?

Author
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hey guys. Lately I've been getting into the more analytical and academic side of things through the use of mainly journals. There's a bit of stuff that still goes over my head but thankfully I've worked in statistics in the past so it's not anything too crazy.

Anyway, just wondering whether any of you have some good recommendations about articles or journals in general? One of the more interesting I've read recently was in regards to Mourinho and his usage of the tactical periodisation system that was originally developed by the Portuguese sports scientist Vitor Frade (and as such people like Mourinho and Villas Boas use it).

Here's a link to the article. It isn't too in depth and gives a good overview of the system in general, though a bit vague in parts.
Nathan96
Nathan96
Under 7s
Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)

What do you read Draupnir? I am starting to get into it myself. The Leopold Method is a good one, however is not as academic as others. I notice the article you linked was from the NSCAA's Soccer Journal. Do you subscribe to that?
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Hey mate. I read the The Leopold Method. Decetnric steered me onto that. Yeah I suppose I was going for theses and journal publications rather than general publicly written material but it's all good.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Soccer Journal. It has a lot of good stuff in it especially in regards to tactics and technique, but I do like the features on individual managers/coaches.

Other than those I try to find pretty much anything I can get in relation to the sports science side of things. There's a lot of information out there about physical attributes and that kind of thing, but I've been starting to get into the mathematical and analytical sides of things about decision making. A lot of it goes right over my head with the crazy mathematics, but they're still worth a read. A good article that isn't too technical is Assessment of tactical principles in youth soccer players of different age groups by da Costa et al.

Edited by Draupnir: 16/9/2015 07:40:01 PM
Nathan96
Nathan96
Under 7s
Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)

Thanks mate. Do you pay the subscription fee for SJ? Would you say it's worth it? I'm looking at it myself and am keen to find out.

www.academia.edu is a site which contains all types of journal articles, and actually has quite a bit of good football literature to read.
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend

Nathan96 wrote:
Thanks mate. Do you pay the subscription fee for SJ? Would you say it's worth it? I'm looking at it myself and am keen to find out.

www.academia.edu is a site which contains all types of journal articles, and actually has quite a bit of good football literature to read.

If I began my answer with "argh!" would it answer your first question? I subscribed during the beginning of last season. Haven't got back around to it. I do think it's worth it if you take everything in. There is a lot of great info, especially the science research.

Academia.edu is a great site. It's honestly shocking that journals charge $250USD for a single article. Insulting really. I'm so glad there are researchers out there who put their material up there as open source/free. Google scholar is also great but it does link to all of the paid journals.

I actually had a chance to get to the World Congress on Science and Football this year and I know they have uploaded the videos (again behind a paywall). I am thinking of heading over the next year's one which I think is in the UK somewhere.
Nathan96
Nathan96
Under 7s

Draupnir wrote:
I actually had a chance to get to the World Congress on Science and Football this year and I know they have uploaded the videos (again behind a paywall). I am thinking of heading over the next year's one which I think is in the UK somewhere.

Right! How was that? Would you recommend? I must confess I actually haven't heard of it before, but am nonetheless unsurprised.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Nathan96 wrote:
Draupnir wrote:

Right! How was that? Would you recommend? I must confess I actually haven't heard of it before, but am nonetheless unsurprised.

Welcome to the forum.
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend

Nathan96 wrote:
Draupnir wrote:

Amazing. It's great for networking even though most of the people there are in academia rather than practical jobs. I actually met a few guys who had gone to some Prozone courses together. I didn't have much of an idea about it outside of old Championship Manager games beforehand but when I looked it up it literally blew my mind.

[youtube]SmjwQgauW9Q[/youtube]
Nathan96
Nathan96
Under 7s

Decentric wrote:
Nathan96 wrote:
Draupnir wrote:

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks mate. Have a thirst for knowledge and this looks likes a good place to sate it.

Draupnir wrote:
Amazing. It's great for networking even though most of the people there are in academia rather than practical jobs. I actually met a few guys who had gone to some Prozone courses together. I didn't have much of an idea about it outside of old Championship Manager games beforehand but when I looked it up it literally blew my mind.

Sounds good. I am a lover of stats and have always thought about trying to track down a Prozone course to do sometime.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search