A-League clubs drop the ball on youth development

Author
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Quote:
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/league-clubs-drop-ball-youth-development#comment_anchor#:wF1XQBdFIZWaTA

FFA Technical Director Eric Abrams said he was shocked when he learnt that not all A-League clubs had a youth academy structure.

Abrams has been in Australia for almost 14 months and is responsible for coach education and elite player development.

The 57-year-old was youth coach at KRC Genk before developing the current golden generation of Vincent Kompany, Christian Benteke, Axel Witsel, Eden Hazard and Dries Mertens as Belgium's U15 – U17 coach.

“Coming out of a European football environment I was very disappointed we have an A-League competition and these A-league clubs have no youth structure,” Abrams said.

“We have to establish this. The state institute is still there, and we also have out NTC programs in the states.”

While not all A-league clubs have a youth structure there have been some positive steps recently. Sydney FC, Western Sydney Wanderers, Central Coast Mariners, Perth Glory and the Newcastle Jets are starting up academies.

Tony Vidmar the current coach of the U17 national youth team, the Joeys, believes a focus on youth will see a better production line of local players.

“When I was a young player we had local junior teams and selection was through the state team and eventually to the Australian Institute of Sport,” he said.

“If you didn’t follow that pathway there were NSL teams who had youth teams from U10 to U18. Currently that doesn’t exist with A League clubs but this is something all A League clubs should invest in as it is the future of all clubs.

“Putting money towards having the best coaches and best development programs will grow the quality of the A League and have a lot more quality Australian players playing.”

Les Scheinflug, Australia’s most successful national youth team coach said that not enough respect is given to young players

“I agree with Tony Vidmar one million per cent there,” Scheinflug said.

“The best players would go to the institute and stay there for 18 months to two years - but only for one year if the clubs grabbed them because they were full time and they became fitter, faster and more skilful.

“When John O’Neill came into power he got rid of the youth competition for two years and now the youth competition is nothing either. You know why? They don’t play in front of anybody, no coaches are watching them and there is no atmosphere.

“It’s like one day you play in front of nobody and suddenly you go to a World Cup and you play in front of 110,000 people like we did (1991 Youth World Cup). Now how do you cope with that if you never experienced it before?”

Abrams said that players in the U14 to U17 age group in Belgium train in the morning and evening and at least 12-14 hours a week. He believes that for Australia to compete with the rest of the world it is imperative that Australian youngsters emulate that European training structure.

“If all the A-League clubs have established this kind of academy structure there is the opportunity,” he said.

“Because that is one thing I want to really stress is we have the ambition in 10 years to compete with the best in the world. So there is no secret you have to practice, and you have to practice in the best environment with the better players.

“But if you have your academies that are well established with the quality of coaches that Tony Vidmar is referring to, and you have quality coaching in the Centre of Excellence School – and it’s more focused there on individual player development and not forming a team – then you have the opportunity to educate the better players.”

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/league-clubs-drop-ball-youth-development#dxwE2Ri3RMSf98VE.99

Just having returned from a football trip in the UK I think all our Youth Development experts have got it wrong.
I think I had it wrong too.

We will always struggle to develop players in the modern environment because the biggest problem we face is the "Tyranny of Distance".
We are so far away from the Football Hub that is Europe I doubt we will ever catch up.
The internal distances that see parents driving from 1 hour a day up to 3 hours a day to get to training.

On top of that is a lack of Football Culture, we are not the dominant sport at the moment. We share the Talent Pool not only with 3 Football Codes but with a multitude of team sports and individual extreme sports.

We lack the Football IQ and access to it, Eric Abrams worked in an environment with more Professional Football Clubs, more qualified advance licensed coaches, bordered by France, Germany, the Netherlands and a quick boat ride to England.
Access to large numbers of Immigrant footballers from Africa, the Balkans and South America.
A country with a land area of 30,278 km2 with 11 Million people compared to Australia's 24 Million people in an area of 7,692,024 km2.

These are more of a problem, I saw enough to know we are not far off at the ages of 15-18 years of age, we just lack the football culture that is exaserbated by the "Tyranny of Distance.".
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Arthur wrote:

FFA Technical Director Eric Abrams said he was shocked when he learnt that not all A-League clubs had a youth academy structure.

Abrams has been in Australia for almost 14 months and is responsible for coach education and elite player development.

It seems funny that FFA gave deemed that the NPL must do a lot of the development. I think there are about 200 in Australia.

Yet the HAL has not been issued an edict that they must do youth development.:?

My sources within FFA tell me it will be happening soon.

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

I live across the road from a club and they charge $450 for UEFA C dipolma (2 seperate days) . Why does the FFA charge $1815 for a AFC C diploma? No wonder there is a shortage of trainers
biscuitman1871
biscuitman1871
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

scott21 wrote:
I live across the road from a club and they charge $450 for UEFA C dipolma (2 seperate days) . Why does the FFA charge $1815 for a AFC C diploma? No wonder there is a shortage of trainers

FFA/AFC C licence in WA costs $1030 ($515 + $515).

9 full contact days over two parts (4 days + 5 days). Exam (easy) at the end but the main assessment is post course assessment of a video taped coaching session.

I don't know how an equivalent qualification could be achieved in only two days.

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

biscuitman1871 wrote:
scott21 wrote:

9 full contact days over two parts (4 days + 5 days). Exam (easy) at the end but the main assessment is post course assessment of a video taped coaching session.

I don't know how an equivalent qualification could be achieved in only two days.

Not sure

Description
C-diploma is the first in trainers and
is mandatory for the coach who later plans to implement
B diploma Youth alternative UEFA B

The course is divided in C-diploma 1 and C-2 diploma

Trainer C-diploma:
The course provides a basic understanding of football in
Sweden, and the characteristics of a good coach is.
Even students with no background in football are welcome to this course.
Leadership and communication with children is the focus,
but also guidance to carry out fun , learning
and spirited workout.

More information can be found in education web environment fogis.se/tuc

After completion of the C-diploma 1, continue your education with the C-diploma 2

Time schedule:
(Course Day 1)
8:30 to 9:00 Introduction
9:00 to 10:30 Description of the game
10:30 to 11:00 Refreshments / change of
11:00 to 12:30 Attacking play. Game Design - drive ?? Internships
12:30 to 13:30 Lunch
13:30 to 3:00 p.m. With children in focus Young Football and learning
3:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Coffee / change of clothes
3:30 p.m. to 17:00 Attacking play. Getting to the finish and score goals - shoot - Practice
17:30 to 18:00 Web information and termination

Description
C-diploma 2 is the continuation of the program C-diploma.

To be accepted, we require that you perform the
C-diploma 1 and related Web information.

Time schedule:
(day of the course 2)
9:00 to 10:30 Being able to understand football, Training Planning
11:00 to 12:30 Attacking play. Game Structure ?? playability and games distance ?? Internships
13:30 to 3:00 p.m. The coach's attitude during the match, belonged to approach
3 p.m. to 15:30 Refreshments / change of clothes
3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Physical training in children's football through play - Practice
5:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Closing
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Perhaps the Swedish FA (Stockholm FA) only provide the minimum required instead of making the process longer and more costly.
I got the $1855 from https://education-ffa.sportingpulse.com/event.asp?ID=12715 , although I see it is a senior coach too.
biscuitman1871
biscuitman1871
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

scott21 wrote:
biscuitman1871 wrote:
scott21 wrote:

Not sure

Description
C-diploma is the first in trainers and
is mandatory for the coach who later plans to implement
B diploma Youth alternative UEFA B

The course is divided in C-diploma 1 and C-2 diploma

Trainer C-diploma:
The course provides a basic understanding of football in
Sweden, and the characteristics of a good coach is.
Even students with no background in football are welcome to this course.
Leadership and communication with children is the focus,
but also guidance to carry out fun , learning
and spirited workout.

More information can be found in education web environment fogis.se/tuc

After completion of the C-diploma 1, continue your education with the C-diploma 2

Time schedule:
(Course Day 1)
9:00 to 10:30 Description of the game
11:00 to 12:30 Attacking play. Game Design - drive ?? Internships
13:30 to 3:00 p.m. With children in focus Young Football and learning
3:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Coffee / change of clothes
3:30 p.m. to 17:00 Attacking play. Getting to the finish and score goals - shoot - Practice
17:30 to 18:00 Web information and termination

Description
C-diploma 2 is the continuation of the program C-diploma.

To be accepted, we require that you perform the
C-diploma 1 and related Web information.

Time schedule:
(day of the course 2)
9:00 to 10:30 Being able to understand football, Training Planning
11:00 to 12:30 Attacking play. Game Structure ?? playability and games distance ?? Internships
13:30 to 3:00 p.m. The coach's attitude during the match, belonged to approach
3 p.m. to 15:30 Refreshments / change of clothes
3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Physical training in children's football through play - Practice
5:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Closing

Seems like a different pathway. That course seems more like the FFA community courses which are two day courses

http://www.footballwest.com.au/index.php?id=222

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

utbildning is education
målvakt is goalie
ungdom is youth
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

lol now the penny is starting to drop

UEFA Bas

Tränarubildning Base is the first educational level in Swedish Football Association's coaching ladder. The program consists of 10 courses, totaling 17 days. Course participants who complete the training course successfully will receive the internationally accepted diploma UEFA B-diploma.

Basic course consists of the following stages:

Kickoff - L edarskap, child-centered, "football play, play and learn"
(1 day)
Base 1 - Leadership 1, spelförståelse 1, Tech 1, Goalie Games 1 and Practice Learning 1 (four 1-day courses)
Base 2 - Leadership 2, spelförståelse 2, Engineering 2, Goalie Games and Training Learning 2 (four 2-day courses)
Diploma Course Base - Theoretical and practical application of the subjects discussed at the kick-off, 1 and Stock 2. (4 days)
To be admitted to the Diploma Course Base must have undergone Kickoff, Base 1 & 2. You must also have at least two years of training practice.
biscuitman1871
biscuitman1871
Pro

scott21 wrote:
Perhaps the Swedish FA (Stockholm FA) only provide the minimum required instead of making the process longer and more costly.
I got the $1855 from https://education-ffa.sportingpulse.com/event.asp?ID=12715 , although I see it is a senior coach too.

The $1855 is the full FFA cost. Football West subsidises to bring it down to $1030.

Part 1 is generic then you do either Part 2 Youth or Part 2 Senior.

A UEFA C licence in Germany is 80 modules - so there seems to be a lot of regional variation.

If you have a look a the participant manuals in that link I provided, you will see that there is some similarity to that course you listed.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
scott21 wrote:

Which country do you live in?

The cost issue has frequently arisen in FFA courses.

My C Licence training cost $1600. I think the regional ones in Canberra are the cheapest.

Having said what I have, many of the C Licence Senior holders I trained with would have inadequate technical knowledge unless they've done the recent FFA Skills Certificate.

The recent Skills Certificate and Game Training Certificate are infinitely better now than they were a few years ago.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

It still can't believe after 10 years not all a-league clubs have youth academies in place, its no wonder we have been behind for awhile.

But the talent is definitely its just needs the right coaching and the environment to develop them properly.

Also i think the FFA need to bring in Tom Byer to look at our grassroots strategy to see if we can further improve and makes things a bit better when kids first start playing the game.
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

I don't know about other clubs, but I know WSW have teams from U20 down to U13 that were playing in games and tournaments the other week.
biscuitman1871
biscuitman1871
Pro

sydneycroatia58 wrote:
I don't know about other clubs, but I know WSW have teams from U20 down to U13 that were playing in games and tournaments the other week.

Glory have teams from u12s up and all players play a year up eg the 14s team is actually boys eligible to play 13s.

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

biscuitman1871 wrote:
sydneycroatia58 wrote:

Glory have teams from u12s up and all players play a year up eg the 14s team is actually boys eligible to play 13s.

So far Perth, CCM, Newcastle only have academies with WSW and Sydney FC joining them next year, what are the likes of Brisbane, Adelaide and especially the two melb clubs plans for to create one?

You would think City would not have a problem setting up but they haven't done anything as of yet, Victory with the all talk about their #products don't even have one from under 12s.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search