Young Melbourne footballers achieve surprise win at international competition in Dubai

Young Melbourne footballers achieve surprise win at international...

Author
Lightbulb
Hacker
Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Young Melbourne footballers achieve surprise win at international competition in Dubai

By Hamish Fitzsimmons

Updated about an hour ago

Whittlesea Ranges under-15s take home Challenge Cup
Photo: The Whittlesea Ranges under-15s after winning the Challenge Cup at the Dubai Super Cup. (Supplied)

Related Story: Aussies kids to take on world's best in Dubai Super Cup

Map: United Arab Emirates

When the Whittlesea Ranges under-15 team left to play in an international youth soccer tournament in Dubai a fortnight ago, most players were just looking forward to the experience of playing on the international stage.

Against expectations the team won its age grouping at the Dubai Super Cup — the Challenge Cup.

"We lost the first two games I think because everyone was nervous," player Michael Fernandes said.

"But we ended up waking up and winning the next two games and when the grand final came we ended up winning 7-0."

The team's coach Safi Ayoush said the boys quickly lifted their game.

We not only matched them, we beat them ... which to me says we're going in the right direction for the future.

Tony Galati, assistant coach

"A lot of countries played — India, France, Muscat, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Abu Dhabi locals, an American academy as well was there," he said.

"It was different age groups from under-9 to under-18. Our boys played are under 15 but they played in the under-16 competition."

For the parents of players who made the trip, the win topped off a life-changing experience for all involved.

"We kept thinking whatever happens, happens. Just the experience is fantastic," team manager and parent Sameira Fernandes said.

"But to come home with the Challenge Cup was just amazing. It was so rewarding and I kept thinking all our hard work paid off."

Ayoush said watching the boys mature as the tournament progressed was in itself rewarding.

"It was incredible. I was over the moon watching this team I grew up with from under-12, 13, 14, and 15 and then I see this team change suddenly in an international tournament," he said.

"Even after the whistle stopped I didn't know how to explain it. This is beyond even what I expected and they made me really proud and I'll never forget this journey with them."

'I was a bit shocked to be honest'

Like many in the team Daniel Galati said because the team was playing older sides he initially thought they would not advance so far.

"To be honest because we were playing in an older age group so I was a bit shocked," he said.

Daniel's father and assistant coach Tony Galati said the win showed Australian youth football was on the right track.

"We wanted to test the other boys against other conferences in soccer and it was tremendous and we matched them," he said.

"We not only matched them, we beat them … which to me says we're going in the right direction for the future."

Goalkeeper Peter Macevski now hopes the team's success internationally will rub off onto the domestic season.

"Now that we've got that international experience we should be able to do well in the league and give the title holders a scare when we play them in a couple of weeks," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-08/young-footballers-nab-surprise-win-on-international-stage/7312206

Requiescat in pace!

spfc
spfc
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
sounds rather dubaious
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
RedKat wrote:
Cap them

Middle East away experience, they're already better than Holger's Heroes.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search