Hyundai A-League attendances: Season 2016/17

Hyundai A-League attendances: Season 2016/17

Author
Footballer
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Feed_The_Brox - 9 Jun 2017 10:27 AM
Waz - 9 Jun 2017 8:23 AM

i disagree with this completely. We struggle to create an atmosphere at socceroos games. we can't fill the stadiums when we play at large AFL grounds. So why don't we play these games in our smaller boutique stadiums such as AAMI Park, NIB or the new Parramatta stadium? We will fill them up, fans are closer to the action and the better acoustics will provide a more hostile atmosphere for the opposition.  

Blaming oval stadiums is understandable, but its a stretch.  Many world class football stadiums have athletics tracks.

Besides, i could hear the Saudi fans loud and clear through the telly last night. I reckon the 'problem' lies elsewhere.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

We've had Socceroos games at smaller rectangular stadiums and the atmosphere hasn't been any better. The problem does lie elsewhere
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

you're sorta missing my point. We know Socceroos support is shit. But playing in oval stadiums with fans too far away from the action (and spread out around the stadium) doesn't exactly help with atmosphere, doesn't it? I reckon things are more likely to manifest into more passionate support if fans are more tightly packed together in the terraces. Then you have the issue of aesthetics when you play in half empty stadiums. you also open yourself up to ridicule... I'm sure many would have seen what was posted on Facebook by an Adelaide Crows supporter group last night (which was shared around the various Football pages).

at the end of the day, what would have been better? A full house in a boutique rectangular stadium? or a 60% full stadium? 
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

An AFL supporter ridiculing football? That's what they exist for isn't it??

It's a strange phenomena we have in Australia where the number of spare seats is seen as a measure of success and yet 30,000 at AAMI is the same as 30,000 at Adelaide Oval or 30,000 at the G - the number of empty seats is irrelevant ..... as is the opinion of a crows fan.

The atmosphere question will not be answered by playing in small stadiums, we filled NIB stadium not long ago and the atmosphere was sh*t. So I do get your point I just don't agree with it - if the ffa want a better atmosphere they're going to need to cooperate with the various active support groups imo and that ain't happening
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
I'm just noticing now that last night there were 46k at Adelaide Oval.

The Thursday night game was a very important world cup qualifier, perhaps Adelaide fans weren't aware just how crucial that game was.
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

pippinu - 10 Jun 2017 10:06 AM
I'm just noticing now that last night there were 46k at Adelaide Oval.

The Thursday night game was a very important world cup qualifier, perhaps Adelaide fans weren't aware just how crucial that game was.

lol "just noticing"

righto 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Waz
Waz
Legend

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

"just noticing" ? I recon this is pippinu's 'To Do' list:

No. 1 - after watching Pepper Pig re-runs check AFL attendance and compare to the Sok-ha. Post on forums if bigger (note to self: pretend to "just notice" the attendance to avoid suspicion of being an AFL troll)

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

I'm just saying an important world cup qualifier deserved more from the people of Adelaide.
Waz
Waz
Legend

Sorry pip, you kinda blew that one.

It did deserve more than 30k I agree but not because the AFL got 46k that's an irrelevant comparison. AFL is the number 1 attended sporting code in the country, of course it's going to draw big crowds.

If you were interested in meaningful comparisons you might have drawn a comparison to NRL international matches which 30k bests, and many of the wallaby games in the Tri-Nations dont get 30k - those comparisons make Football look pretty good. Use those instead of, or as well , if you want to appear balanced.

But whatever the comparison, it did deserve more than 30k and the ffa should ponder why their team isn't drawing as well as it should?
Waz
Waz
Legend

95,536 for a football match at the G last night Pip - comparing that to any AFL attendance this weekend is also kind meaninglessness as well.
pippinu
pippinu
World Class

Waz - 10 Jun 2017 10:59 AM
95,536 for a football match at the G last night Pip - comparing that to any AFL attendance this weekend is also kind meaninglessness as well.

It will definitely beat the largest AFL attendance for the round (which will be very  lucky to reach 80k on Monday at the G)
bitza
bitza
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Wow. Wallabies vs Fiji only had 13k in Melbourne on sat. Plus only 124k of ten.

Say what u want about football vs AFL/League but we are definitely above the Union
pippinu
pippinu
World Class

Big win for football.

Over 95k last Thursday for Bra v Arg.

Today's game at the G just got above 70k, fell well short of an anticipated 80k.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

49,874 AUS v BRA
Waz
Waz
Legend

175,000 over three games, two in midweek. And they dare suggest we're not a football nation lol
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search