Hyundai A-League attendances: Season 2016/17

Hyundai A-League attendances: Season 2016/17

Author
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
175,000 over three games, two in midweek. And they dare suggest we're not a football nation lol
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)

49,874 AUS v BRA
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Big win for football.

Over 95k last Thursday for Bra v Arg.

Today's game at the G just got above 70k, fell well short of an anticipated 80k.
bitza
bitza
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Wow. Wallabies vs Fiji only had 13k in Melbourne on sat. Plus only 124k of ten.

Say what u want about football vs AFL/League but we are definitely above the Union
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Waz - 10 Jun 2017 10:59 AM
95,536 for a football match at the G last night Pip - comparing that to any AFL attendance this weekend is also kind meaninglessness as well.

It will definitely beat the largest AFL attendance for the round (which will be very  lucky to reach 80k on Monday at the G)
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

95,536 for a football match at the G last night Pip - comparing that to any AFL attendance this weekend is also kind meaninglessness as well.
Waz
Waz
Legend

Sorry pip, you kinda blew that one.

It did deserve more than 30k I agree but not because the AFL got 46k that's an irrelevant comparison. AFL is the number 1 attended sporting code in the country, of course it's going to draw big crowds.

If you were interested in meaningful comparisons you might have drawn a comparison to NRL international matches which 30k bests, and many of the wallaby games in the Tri-Nations dont get 30k - those comparisons make Football look pretty good. Use those instead of, or as well , if you want to appear balanced.

But whatever the comparison, it did deserve more than 30k and the ffa should ponder why their team isn't drawing as well as it should?
pippinu
pippinu
World Class

I'm just saying an important world cup qualifier deserved more from the people of Adelaide.
Waz
Waz
Legend

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

"just noticing" ? I recon this is pippinu's 'To Do' list:

No. 1 - after watching Pepper Pig re-runs check AFL attendance and compare to the Sok-ha. Post on forums if bigger (note to self: pretend to "just notice" the attendance to avoid suspicion of being an AFL troll)

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

pippinu - 10 Jun 2017 10:06 AM
I'm just noticing now that last night there were 46k at Adelaide Oval.

The Thursday night game was a very important world cup qualifier, perhaps Adelaide fans weren't aware just how crucial that game was.

lol "just noticing"

righto 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

pippinu
pippinu
World Class

I'm just noticing now that last night there were 46k at Adelaide Oval.

The Thursday night game was a very important world cup qualifier, perhaps Adelaide fans weren't aware just how crucial that game was.
Waz
Waz
Legend

An AFL supporter ridiculing football? That's what they exist for isn't it??

It's a strange phenomena we have in Australia where the number of spare seats is seen as a measure of success and yet 30,000 at AAMI is the same as 30,000 at Adelaide Oval or 30,000 at the G - the number of empty seats is irrelevant ..... as is the opinion of a crows fan.

The atmosphere question will not be answered by playing in small stadiums, we filled NIB stadium not long ago and the atmosphere was sh*t. So I do get your point I just don't agree with it - if the ffa want a better atmosphere they're going to need to cooperate with the various active support groups imo and that ain't happening
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

you're sorta missing my point. We know Socceroos support is shit. But playing in oval stadiums with fans too far away from the action (and spread out around the stadium) doesn't exactly help with atmosphere, doesn't it? I reckon things are more likely to manifest into more passionate support if fans are more tightly packed together in the terraces. Then you have the issue of aesthetics when you play in half empty stadiums. you also open yourself up to ridicule... I'm sure many would have seen what was posted on Facebook by an Adelaide Crows supporter group last night (which was shared around the various Football pages).

at the end of the day, what would have been better? A full house in a boutique rectangular stadium? or a 60% full stadium? 
Waz
Waz
Legend

We've had Socceroos games at smaller rectangular stadiums and the atmosphere hasn't been any better. The problem does lie elsewhere
Footballer
Footballer
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 9 Jun 2017 10:27 AM
Waz - 9 Jun 2017 8:23 AM

i disagree with this completely. We struggle to create an atmosphere at socceroos games. we can't fill the stadiums when we play at large AFL grounds. So why don't we play these games in our smaller boutique stadiums such as AAMI Park, NIB or the new Parramatta stadium? We will fill them up, fans are closer to the action and the better acoustics will provide a more hostile atmosphere for the opposition.  

Blaming oval stadiums is understandable, but its a stretch.  Many world class football stadiums have athletics tracks.

Besides, i could hear the Saudi fans loud and clear through the telly last night. I reckon the 'problem' lies elsewhere.
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

@ primtech Agree on rectangular stadiums but there's only two in the country with a capacity over 30k which is what we should be aiming for when we have these big games. Three if we include Docklands and four if Perth stadium is suitabke? Suncorp and Thailand, surely it's a no-brained tight?

i disagree with this completely. We struggle to create an atmosphere at socceroos games. we can't fill the stadiums when we play at large AFL grounds. So why don't we play these games in our smaller boutique stadiums such as AAMI Park, NIB or the new Parramatta stadium? We will fill them up, fans are closer to the action and the better acoustics will provide a more hostile atmosphere for the opposition.  
bitza
bitza
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

@ primtech Agree on rectangular stadiums but there's only two in the country with a capacity over 30k which is what we should be aiming for when we have these big games. Three if we include Docklands and four if Perth stadium is suitabke? Suncorp and Thailand, surely it's a no-brained tight?

Suncorp, SFS and OLYMPICK Stadium (ANZ)

And melbourne wonder why they dont get more games
Waz
Waz
Legend

@ primtech

Agree on rectangular stadiums but there's only two in the country with a capacity over 30k which is what we should be aiming for when we have these big games. Three if we include Docklands and four if Perth stadium is suitabke?

Suncorp and Thailand, surely it's a no-brained tight?
primtech
primtech
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)

30k is fine. But jeez i wish we could play all our WCQ games at rectangular stadiums. Really, REALLY hope they announce Roos vs Thailand at Suncorp in September.

Waz
Waz
Legend

A sub-30k crowd is a "bare pass", 35k maybe would have been good and 40k+ outstanding. It seems Adelaide spent the week leading up to this game complaining about everything from ticket prices, to the venue, to the winter weather, to the fact it is a long weekend coming up. hardly the way to market the event really.

pippinu
pippinu
World Class

The_Wookie - 8 Jun 2017 10:54 PM
Thu WCQ - Australia v Saudia Arabia - Crowd: 29,785 at Adelaide Oval

Just short of 30k, more than a reasonable attendance for pissant city.
bitza
bitza
Semi-Pro

The_Wookie - 8 Jun 2017 10:54 PM

I think thats a pretty good crowd
The_Wookie
The_Wookie
Hacker
Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)

Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Decentric - 18 May 2017 8:00 AM
walnuts - 14 May 2017 2:56 PM

Didn't realise that ACL crowds are lower than domestic crowds in most countries?

ATM I'm so much more interested in the progress of HAL teams in the ACL than the stale HAL games.

I am too. With the a-league I will watch every game of my team and then maybe other teams if I have nothing to do but with the ACL I have an interest in pretty much any game involving Australian teams.

Beaten by Eldar

Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Decentric - 18 May 2017 8:04 AM
Davide82 - 17 May 2017 1:51 PM

I'd rather watch some football than no football.

The last ACL game played by AU, and Roar, were  two of the most frustrating games I've ever watched. The teams I supported dominated, but lost! AU went within a whisker of qualifying for the next ACL round.

I usually agree and would have gone were I not on my honeymoon. Still found a bar to watch it in but admittedly left when i saw the korean side was up 2-0 so we had no chance anyway. Looks like I left at a good time.

There is a great deal of ill will towards our club in Adelaide at the moment though and I know you will never understand it, but some people support a team and are emotionally invested in them as opposed to watching purely as someone who loves football as more of an intellectual pursuit.

I have sat there in the stands week in week out in previous seasons and watched us come last, or close to it, twice before this season. This was the first season that I probably missed easily half the games even though i paid in advance.

Watching a team get gutted with no plans for the future (having the CEO and management berate fans for their concerns) and seeing the champions of last season barely able to get a shot on target week after week (despite putting in effort - it was actually sad and heartbreaking to watch coz i do believe they were trying a lot of the time unlike in other seasons with similar results) and losing 4-0 at home is not my idea of a good sunday evening.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Davide82 - 17 May 2017 1:51 PM
Davo1985 - 10 May 2017 6:48 AM

Not all fans are martyrs and it is well within the public's right to stay away when they feel they have been taken for a ride. 

I'd rather watch some football than no football.

The last ACL game played by AU, and Roar, were  two of the most frustrating games I've ever watched. The teams I supported dominated, but lost! AU went within a whisker of qualifying for the next ACL round.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

The ACL attendances being so low is not a problem unique to Australia - all across the Confederation attendances are significantly lower than their domestic counterparts. 

Whatever the problem is, it's an AFC problem, not an Australian one.

Didn't realise that ACL crowds are lower than domestic crowds in most countries?

ATM I'm so much more interested in the progress of HAL teams in the ACL than the stale HAL games.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

sydneyfc1987 - 14 May 2017 10:33 PM

I think you'd find 3k is pretty standard for K-League teams in the ACL. I've seen games with less that 1k.

1-3K is abysmal.

Comparatively, China and Japan often draw huge crowds for the ACL.
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Davo1985 - 10 May 2017 6:48 AM
TheSelectFew - 8 May 2017 7:06 PM

6,798 for the do or die clash for Adelaide lastnight. They had a real chance of making it through too. Shows how little ppl care about the acl seriously.

Was also Galekovic and Amors last game. 

Two things that are disapointing here. Firstly that the public clearly care little for the acl. We talk about how acl.should be given precedence even with split rounds blah blah blah, but in reality the public doesnt give a toss.and the clubs whinge about costs.

Secondly the club failed at really making something of this game. The fact that the public were clearly not going to come out in numbers should have been an opportunity for the club to really market tge game, perhaps giving galekovic a real send off. Tbey also could have had a special price on tickets as a one off just to ramp up the numbers for the final match of the season. 

I guess football.mid week will.always sttuggle in australia. In a way i wish the afc would play all thsir acl fixtures on weekends. Because we're not.the only ones that get shit crowds for acl matches. The afc need to rectify the issie as it dilutes the value of the product imo playing games mid week. It certainly wouldnt look great on tv for.international audiences.

United actually tried pretty hard (for them) to flog this game including special ticket prices and pleas from players in the media (even Andrew Jarman did a crossbar challenge aha). We have historically had the best of the Australian crowds for ACL games I believe but you have to understand just how long and horrible a season this has been.

Not all fans are martyrs and it is well within the public's right to stay away when they feel they have been taken for a ride. Oh and that crowd number is almost as high as some our league games late this year so it's actually not that bad in that light.
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

I mean, games in Korea have been known to get 3k people turn up to them, and they have a much larger population 

I think you'd find 3k is pretty standard for K-League teams in the ACL. I've seen games with less that 1k.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search