Why isn't Australia in the AFF Championship/Suzuki Cup?

Why isn't Australia in the AFF Championship/Suzuki Cup?

Author
99 Problems
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
melbourne_terrace wrote:
scott21 wrote:
These aren't FIFA dates. Asian clubs won't release their players .... They don't have to.

They will if their season is over and it already happens anyway for every other regional tournament in Asia. :roll:

Still an issue for A-League players. Let's say they miss 4 games for this, and another 3-4 throughout the season since we don't have international breaks, and you can't reasonably expect clubs to spend a quarter of the season without their best players.
Edited
8 Years Ago by 99 Problems
BA81
BA81
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

Helloworld1992 wrote:
Tournaments like these would pave the way for an Australia 'A' team, which can only be a good thing for fringe Socceroos.

This. Even a Socceroos vs Australia A clash as a one-off/as part of something like Greece's recent visit could drum up interest in the context of HAL/fringe-players staking claims for senior selection.Oz cricket does it; we can too.

I'm not fussed which of the EAFF/ASEAN tourneys we take part in, as long as we're contesting one regularly.

Edited by BA81: 20/7/2016 07:56:35 PM

Edited
8 Years Ago by BA81
angusozi
angusozi
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (216 reputation)Hardcore Fan (216 reputation)Hardcore Fan (216 reputation)Hardcore Fan (216 reputation)Hardcore Fan (216 reputation)Hardcore Fan (216 reputation)Hardcore Fan (216 reputation)Hardcore Fan (216 reputation)Hardcore Fan (216 reputation)Hardcore Fan (216 reputation)Hardcore Fan (216 reputation)

I'd love it, great oppurtunity for our Aussie based players. Unlike the shite played under Pim and Holger, they'd benefit greatly from being in camp with Ange, despite missing a few rounds of the A-League. Off the top of my head, an XI like this would be great;

Thomas

Geria
Chapman
Ansell
Jamieson

Malik
Petratos
Melling

Borrello
Maclaren
Hoole

Rather youthful, but thats the point. Could maybe add players like Galekovic, Wilkinson, McKay, Elrich, Paartalu, Djite for experince. Maybe some Young Socceroos as well
Edited
8 Years Ago by angusozi
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

angusozi wrote:
I'd love it, great oppurtunity for our Aussie based players. Unlike the shite played under Pim and Holger, they'd benefit greatly from being in camp with Ange, despite missing a few rounds of the A-League. Off the top of my head, an XI like this would be great;

Thomas

Geria
Chapman
Ansell
Jamieson

Malik
Petratos
Melling

Borrello
Maclaren
Hoole

Rather youthful, but thats the point. Could maybe add players like Galekovic, Wilkinson, McKay, Elrich, Paartalu, Djite for experince. Maybe some Young Socceroos as well

I know the point of your selection is that they are young but I they would still struggle at a senior level, even against shit Asian teams.

Contrary to what some others may think, the clubs in China, Korean and Japan aren't going to give a shit about their players being called up by Aus for this. There is already a precedent for them releasing players for regional tournaments like EAFF and AFF Championship and their season would be over by the time the tournament starts.

Any opportunity to get our senior team playing more games together is good. Being able to give fringe players like Troisi or Oar, with established players and up and comers is essential to building our squad depth. If Rhys Williams or Herd came good with Perth again we could have tested them in this before throwing him to the wolves in a WCQ.

We'd be working with something fun like this if we were playing this year (assumes Antonis is coming back).

Birighitti
Geria Sainsbury Spiranovic Elrich
Williams
Antonis - Bozanic
Burns - Giannou - Oar

Galekovic
Wilkinson
Risdon
Herd
Nichols
Troisi
Maclaren

No Europeans or Middle East based players (Their season is the same as Europe) although it maybe possible for someone like Gersbach who plays in a calendar year league.

Viennese Vuck

Edited
8 Years Ago by melbourne_terrace
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
It's also during the winter break in Russia.
Edited
8 Years Ago by paladisious
newton_circus
newton_circus
Amateur
Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)

The difference between the ASEAN Cup (Suzuki Cup) and the EAFF is that in the Suzuki Cup there is passion, every country plays their heart out, like its the only tournament they are every likely going to win. Winning the Suzuki Cup means the world to them. They'd give an Australian B or U23 side a good run for their money, in my opinion.
Plus, home and away legs for both Semi Finals and Finals would be an added bonus, and can only be good for Australian Football. Not sure what kind of Australian side we should field, but we should definitely participate in this.
Edited
8 Years Ago by newton_circus
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
scott21 wrote:
Decentric wrote:

All your points make a lot of sense from a club perspective and for fans who think domestic club football is paramount over international fixtures, albeit at a lower level.

Everything you suggest is plausible - from a club perspective. Club coaches are also far more interested in their own career successes than their players' potential international futures.

Even if 25 payers were absent, with an average of 2-3 from each HAL club, it creates an opportunity for fringe players at those clubs.

The one thing is that no player should be denied an opportunity to play international team football, because it is not in the best interests of a club coach.

Benjamin and I have often had this discussion. I see a league as subservient to the best interests of the national teams. He sees the league as totally independent and relatively autonomous. That is why England underperforms as a national team and we probably overperform.

I'm concerned about a few players, who HAL coaches deem lack the requisite skill set to be HAL regulars ATM.

Josh McDonald - this guy is a decent technician. Is he another player like Mooy or Elrich, who Popa thinks is not good enough, but who excel in another HAL setting?

McDonald 's development appears to have suffered from the recruitment of the two Spanish midfielders and Nichols. I think McDonald would greatly benefit by Nichols being called up into a Socceroo camp.

Kieran Bacchus- when he has played for WSW to me he looks the goods. He should be a HAL regular. He would benefit from a few teammates disappearing for a month.

Connor Pain- seemed to go backwards after having a lot of bench time. An enforced Socceroo absence from teammates, would be good. As BFK faded last year, MV did not have a replacement in Pain, as he had lost confidence and form from not playing.

Devante Clut - looked good at Roar under Thiessen. The Aloisi's had a different view. Another guy who could've benefited from some teammates in a Socceroo camp.

Thomas Deng - looked good enough for to be a HAL regular. Another who would've benefited from team-mates disappearing for a while.

Hagi Gligor - another prospect.

To me national teams create an opportunity for other players.

Arnie is now under pressure as a coach as his adversaries have improved . He is under the pump and moans about everything.

Or just expand the league....

I set up a thread on this topic.:)
Edited
8 Years Ago by Decentric
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

It seems in the 2018 edition there will be a different format

Quote:
New format for AFF Suzuki Cup finalised

14 March 2016 08:08

New format for AFF Suzuki Cup finalised
View photo
The new format for the Suzuki Cup will come into place from the 2018 edition onwards, as announced by the Asean Football Federation (AFF).

The change was confirmed by the AFF at their council meeting in Da Nang, Vietnam yesterday, according to a report by Football Channel Asia.

The nine highest-ranked teams will qualify straight for the tournament proper, while the 10th and 11th ranked teams will play in a two-legged qualifier to determine the final entry slot.

For the group stages, the 10 qualified teams will be split into two groups of five teams each. The teams will play one another in a home-and-away, round-robin format. Each team will play four matches, two at home and two away.

There will be a draw to determine where the group stage matches are played. The semi-finals and final will be played in a two-legged format as usual.

The change was brought about because the AFF felt that the current format has been ineffective in attracting a large audience. One good example is that any group stage match that do not feature the host or co-host country often failed to attract big crowds to the stadium.

Apparently there has also been feedback from many national football federations, saying that supporters of each national team want to see their beloved footballers playing on home soil.

As such, the new format is created from the feedback and is said to have received support from the tournament sponsors.
https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/format-aff-suzuki-cup-finalised-080800788.html

Edited
8 Years Ago by scott21
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

/thread.
Edited
HeyItsRobbie
HeyItsRobbie
World Class
World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)

wooops

Edited by heyitsrobbie: 24/7/2016 01:48:48 AM
Edited
8 Years Ago by HeyItsRobbie
nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Who holds the Socceroo's TV rights for the AFF Suzuki Cup? Can the FFA make money from it>>?. The new format looks like it should be able to get bums on seats.

Wellington Phoenix FC

Edited
8 Years Ago by nomates
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

New format sounds brilliant for supporting the Roos. Hope FFA let's us play.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

nomates wrote:
Who holds the Socceroo's TV rights for the AFF Suzuki Cup? Can the FFA make money from it>>?. The new format looks like it should be able to get bums on seats.

I think the best part for the FFA is that they won't have half the rights signed away to the AFC's dodgy "marketing partner".
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

paladisious wrote:

/thread.

:) don't think little cobber would be so enthusiastic being on the wrong end of 10-0 schalacking at home.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Bump.

I'm on a couple days' stopover on the way back from Europe in South East Asia right now (unlike certain others, my resort has wifi) and it's blatantly obvious that this part of the world is as absolutely bananas for football as ever.

The South East Asian countries are emerging not just as football nations but as major economic players, and I would say the FFA's lack of action over the last decade in integrating Australian football more with ASEAN is such a blatantly missed opportunity that ranks as high amongst their biggest fuckups one can name.

I would say their taste in the game has also matured since I first came here eight years ago for Chonburi v Victory in the ACL; while coverage for the big Euro leagues abound, especially Leicester given the local ownership, today I saw young people getting around in Buriram, Muangthong and national team shirts, and the local rag on my table at the place I just had dinner was cover to cover with the local game. If they can get over Eurosnobbery in South East Asia, anyone can!

We're also about to get a huge dose of the passion they have for the game here with the Socceroo's WCQ away in Bangkok next month, can't wait for that one!

If I was in charge, I'd be looking at engaging single states to host a special AFF Championship every four years including and hosted by Australia, Copa America Centenario style (which was a special centenary edition of the South American Copa America, hosted by the USA) in August in the years after Asian Cups, eg 2020, 2024, etc. That would not clash with the current schedule of WCQs, and be early enough in preseason for Euro based Aussies to come, but if we have to go with mostly Australia/Asia based and young gun squad then no harm done, far from it, actually.

I think it would actually have greater appeal than the Asian Cup proper did, which hosted a majority of inaccessible teams like Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, etc, and instead not only capture the local diaspora's passion but also the wider population's comprehension in playing "real" countries like Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia on a regular basis.

My ideal comp would have the top eight AFF countries (ideally after a playoff comp for the minnows) play in the obvious two groups of four with semis and final in the last two weeks of August in "Olympic" years, making it five matchdays in say sixteen days for the finalists, segueing nicely into the FIFA window WCQs which have stayed solidly scheduled for the first two Tuesdays/Wednesdays of September for a while now, to say nothing of the neat segue into the A-League season, all while still getting cleanish air before the AFL and NRL finals.

It would be a relatively cheap event for state governments to pull off with 100% already existing infrastructure, and I imagine they'd be keen on it. Victoria, for example, could easily host it with the Final and major Socceroos games at Etihad, second tier games at AAMI and Kardinia Parks and third tier games at Lakeside Stadium and Morsehead Park in Ballarat, while NSW and Queensland will have no trouble at all with rectangular venues that fit the bill. Adelaide could swing it with fixtures between Adelaide Oval, Hindmarsh and a modestly upgraded Marden, while even Perth could make do if their turn comes with nib and the new stadium.

Major broadcasters would be more behind it than you might think. They're just coming around to the A-League now, but anything in green and gold and wins for Australia has FTA written all over it, especially against countries that their audience can actually find on the map, and have probably been to.

Call me a dreamer but I think there's a huge, huge opportunity that has gone completely begging.

/Rant. Blame the cheap booze here.
Edited
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

paladisious - 6 Oct 2016 6:35 AM
Bump.

I'm on a couple days' stopover on the way back from Europe in South East Asia right now (unlike certain others, my resort has wifi) and it's blatantly obvious that this part of the world is as absolutely bananas for football as ever.

The South East Asian countries are emerging not just as football nations but as major economic players, and I would say the FFA's lack of action over the last decade in integrating Australian football more with ASEAN is such a blatantly missed opportunity that ranks as high amongst their biggest fuckups one can name.

I would say their taste in the game has also matured since I first came here eight years ago for Chonburi v Victory in the ACL; while coverage for the big Euro leagues abound, especially Leicester given the local ownership, today I saw young people getting around in Buriram, Muangthong and national team shirts, and the local rag on my table at the place I just had dinner was cover to cover with the local game. If they can get over Eurosnobbery in South East Asia, anyone can!

We're also about to get a huge dose of the passion they have for the game here with the Socceroo's WCQ away in Bangkok next month, can't wait for that one!

If I was in charge, I'd be looking at engaging single states to host a special AFF Championship every four years including and hosted by Australia, Copa America Centenario style (which was a special centenary edition of the South American Copa America, hosted by the USA) in August in the years after Asian Cups, eg 2020, 2024, etc. That would not clash with the current schedule of WCQs, and be early enough in preseason for Euro based Aussies to come, but if we have to go with mostly Australia/Asia based and young gun squad then no harm done, far from it, actually.

I think it would actually have greater appeal than the Asian Cup proper did, which hosted a majority of inaccessible teams like Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, etc, and instead not only capture the local diaspora's passion but also the wider population's comprehension in playing "real" countries like Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia on a regular basis.

My ideal comp would have the top eight AFF countries (ideally after a playoff comp for the minnows) play in the obvious two groups of four with semis and final in the last two weeks of August in "Olympic" years, making it five matchdays in say sixteen days for the finalists, segueing nicely into the FIFA window WCQs which have stayed solidly scheduled for the first two Tuesdays/Wednesdays of September for a while now, to say nothing of the neat segue into the A-League season, all while still getting cleanish air before the AFL and NRL finals.

It would be a relatively cheap event for state governments to pull off with 100% already existing infrastructure, and I imagine they'd be keen on it. Victoria, for example, could easily host it with the Final and major Socceroos games at Etihad, second tier games at AAMI and Kardinia Parks and third tier games at Lakeside Stadium and Morsehead Park in Ballarat, while NSW and Queensland will have no trouble at all with rectangular venues that fit the bill. Adelaide could swing it with fixtures between Adelaide Oval, Hindmarsh and a modestly upgraded Marden, while even Perth could make do if their turn comes with nib and the new stadium.

Major broadcasters would be more behind it than you might think. They're just coming around to the A-League now, but anything in green and gold and wins for Australia has FTA written all over it, especially against countries that their audience can actually find on the map, and have probably been to.

Call me a dreamer but I think there's a huge, huge opportunity that has gone completely begging.

When Indonesia sort out their manufacturing..... they will become a powerhouse with the inevitable race to the bottom. #PersibBandung4A-League
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Bump.

Good post.

Good thread.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Its because we are special and unique. 

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

would definitely like to be a part of this tournament
send an a league only side
great stepping stone to the NT
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

melbourne_terrace - 19 Jul 2016 9:58 PM
It is a complete farce that we aren't participating in it already.

For all the wank from Lowy and co of using our AFC move to further integrate with the continent, the other side won't believe that until we actually properly fulfill our commitments.

Fully participating and putting ourselves in a leadership role in the ASEAN region is part of those commitments.

You will still find something to whinge about no matter what Lowy or the FFA did, period.

In a resort somewhere

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Finally Pala has found a backpackers joint with WIFI lol.

In a resort somewhere

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Yeppppppp

We whinge about us not having enough influence in Asia but we aren't willing to put in the hard work to show our commitment. Ever since we joined the AFC we've been all "We're special, Australia is unique, why can't we do things our way" before we've even earned the right to break away from the pack. We should deadest be in a leadership role in the AFF by now but we have no right to do so whilst we pick and chose how much we want to engage the region.

The only way we are going to keep the Arabs in check is if we can gain the respect and trust from the rest of the east and participating fully in AFF is part of that.

To be honest, I have the exact same feelings about this outside of Football as well. Australia in general should be moving away from the US and UK and going all in on our local region.

Viennese Vuck

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

paulc - 6 Oct 2016 6:50 PM
melbourne_terrace - 19 Jul 2016 9:58 PM

You will still find something to whinge about no matter what Lowy or the FFA did, period.

This will take one thing off that long list. 

bitza
bitza
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

grazorblade - 6 Oct 2016 11:15 AM
would definitely like to be a part of this tournament
send an a league only side
great stepping stone to the NT

Brilliant idea.

It would help push the brand of the a-league inti the minds of those in that oart of Asia.

Would be good to see our clubs scout a decent player or two from that part of the world too.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

If anyone wants to be a part of this they can't complain when the league doesn't have FIFA breaks.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

scott21 - 6 Oct 2016 8:23 PM
If anyone wants to be a part of this they can't complain when the league doesn't have FIFA breaks.

Send a state based squad lol. At least that way we can compete. 

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

paulc - 6 Oct 2016 6:52 PM
Finally Pala has found a backpackers joint with WIFI lol.

I'm genuinely sorry for the other Roar fans that haven't blocked your shit bants.
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend

scott21 - 6 Oct 2016 8:23 PM

Or we could just have a mid season break in one of the hottest parts of the year. 

Viennese Vuck

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

melbourne_terrace - 6 Oct 2016 7:02 PM

Yeppppppp

We whinge about us not having enough influence in Asia but we aren't willing to put in the hard work to show our commitment. Ever since we joined the AFC we've been all "We're special, Australia is unique, why can't we do things our way" before we've even earned the right to break away from the pack. We should deadest be in a leadership role in the AFF by now but we have no right to do so whilst we pick and chose how much we want to engage the region.

The only way we are going to keep the Arabs in check is if we can gain the respect and trust from the rest of the east and participating fully in AFF is part of that.

To be honest, I have the exact same feelings about this outside of Football as well. Australia in general should be moving away from the US and UK and going all in on our local region.

Well said.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Insert the dullest voice you've ever heard
"We ... Need .... To provide fiiiive ... Games a .. Week to the neetwork"
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search