AFL to take over soccer pitches with new game

AFL to take over soccer pitches with new game

Author
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
MarkfromCroydon - 10 Sep 2017 2:52 PM
I'm watching an Under 14 game on a field with a cricket pitch in the middle. Lack of grounds is a disgrace. Also just had a parent from the other team tell me if we got a whole heap of AFL players to cross over to sokkah, we'd beat Brazil because of our superior athletes and we could have some 6 foot 10 forwards. That's an unsolicited comment from a guy whose kid is playing football. We still have a long way to go in Victoria

Im guessing he implied we would win the WC?

You can answer several things to this:
- Even if that statement was remotely true the USA would kick our arse and the entire planet if they put all of their energy into football. Without a doubt every WC. 
- With FIFA rules being Grandparents, we could lose many good or fringe players to other countries eg England Scotland, NZ, Italy, Greece, Croatia Serbia and so on so we would create a lot of our own competition. 
- USA would do the same, so Mexico, Central American countries, Germany, Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Serbia and many many countires would get players from there making it harder for us.

Even if NZ played football first you could argue they would beat us. Lomu was like a Drogba, Viduka crossed with Usan Bolt and an extra 30kg on top..... then you get the NZ developing players for the Pacific nations and so on. 

MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

I didn't get into a conversation with this guy, I just wanted to watch the kids play football. I just said I reckon we'd struggle and was lucky enough to be behind the goals fetching missed shots and able to go and collect a ball and then stand 20 metres away from him. I think he got the message after the second time.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

X FACTOR

SO whatever became of that AFL concept of taking up the summer months with a new version of Australian football? AFLX. The seven-a-side game played on a rectangular field.

While this theme has not moved beyond the AFL think-tank at home, Port Adelaide chief executive KEITH THOMAS might be delivering opportunity to the AFL when he returns from Shanghai late next week.

“It is an interesting thought — AFLX as the international version of Australian football,” said Thomas, who was in Hong Kong on Friday before moving to Shanghai to advance the Power’s “China Strategy”.

“It is an interesting idea — AFLX in China. The one thing we noted on entering China is that Australian football’s game development ultimately faces one major challenge outside Australia — grounds.

“But there are many rectangular grounds in China. And we can start the game for both boys and girls ... and perhaps open the door for an AFLW game in China.”

Port Adelaide is certainly more optimistic about its China adventure after successfully presenting an AFL premiership game with Gold Coast in Shanghai in May. But all this new energy to keep the Australian game on the international stage does require discipline, notes Thomas.

“We do need to ask what does our game’s vision in China look like because in a big country like China it is easy to get lost,” Thomas said. “We do need articulate a vision beyond one game each year.”

Adelaide’s fall in the AFL grand final has stripped the Crows of the image of being the game’s darlings | Adelaide Now

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Why would the Chinese want to play AFLX on a football pitch when they can just play football on a football pitch??
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

bigpoppa - 13 Oct 2017 8:58 PM
Why would the Chinese want to play AFLX on a football pitch when they can just play football on a football pitch??

I think you need 1 thing, financial incentive. 

Also, it is a catch 22 because if they were to try they imo should focus on a city that is more rural. Not Shanghai. Its like any major city I assume where people want to watch sport but do other things with their time. But then its harder for the sponsorship etc. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
redcup
redcup
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Anb interesting comment by Speed during the Roar v A. United game. Gullum gets $5 million/yr and the Chinese team who  loaned him out are paying the bulk of  it, as he's AU Australian marquee.
Just think Pt Adelaide AFL thoughts on China are wishful thinking. The Chinese just aren't interested in one of the stupidest games in the world. But of course the AFL blokes just fail to embrace reality. Pt Adelaide & Koch went on & on about travel & performance. They just fail to acknowledge that United have been to China, Korea, Japan and they even had to fly to & from Tashkent in Uzbekistan and play 48 hrs after. They really seem to understasnd or learn from what they see as an inferior code
aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

redcup - 13 Oct 2017 11:04 PM
Anb interesting comment by Speed during the Roar v A. United game. Gullum gets $5 million/yr and the Chinese team who  loaned him out are paying the bulk of  it, as he's AU Australian marquee.
Just think Pt Adelaide AFL thoughts on China are wishful thinking. The Chinese just aren't interested in one of the stupidest games in the world. But of course the AFL blokes just fail to embrace reality. Pt Adelaide & Koch went on & on about travel & performance. They just fail to acknowledge that United have been to China, Korea, Japan and they even had to fly to & from Tashkent in Uzbekistan and play 48 hrs after. They really seem to understasnd or learn from what they see as an inferior code

Can't believe Kochie and co. are allowed to get away with talking abslolute bollocks. Someone should've arked up and put them in their place a long time ago for the reasons you've mentioned.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)

scott21 - 13 Oct 2017 8:50 PM

X FACTOR

SO whatever became of that AFL concept of taking up the summer months with a new version of Australian football? AFLX. The seven-a-side game played on a rectangular field.

While this theme has not moved beyond the AFL think-tank at home, Port Adelaide chief executive KEITH THOMAS might be delivering opportunity to the AFL when he returns from Shanghai late next week.

“It is an interesting thought — AFLX as the international version of Australian football,” said Thomas, who was in Hong Kong on Friday before moving to Shanghai to advance the Power’s “China Strategy”.

“It is an interesting idea — AFLX in China. The one thing we noted on entering China is that Australian football’s game development ultimately faces one major challenge outside Australia — grounds.

“But there are many rectangular grounds in China. And we can start the game for both boys and girls ... and perhaps open the door for an AFLW game in China.”

Port Adelaide is certainly more optimistic about its China adventure after successfully presenting an AFL premiership game with Gold Coast in Shanghai in May. But all this new energy to keep the Australian game on the international stage does require discipline, notes Thomas.

“We do need to ask what does our game’s vision in China look like because in a big country like China it is easy to get lost,” Thomas said. “We do need articulate a vision beyond one game each year.”

Adelaide’s fall in the AFL grand final has stripped the Crows of the image of being the game’s darlings | Adelaide Now

what happened to "international rules"
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Now would be a good time to unban mrs football.

Crusader
Crusader
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)

I don't think any of you realise how big AFL has become in China since Kochie introduced it to the country, now over 600,000,000 registered players.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Crusader - 14 Oct 2017 3:15 PM
I don't think any of you realise how big AFL has become in China since Kochie introduced it to the country, now over 600,000,000 registered players.

There you are. Hahahahahahahaha 

Edited
7 Years Ago by TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/aussie-rules-is-not-a-national-game-and-the-chinese-know-it-20170519-gw8tb5.html

redcup
redcup
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

It's the fault of the TV & print media.  They tell us everything about the AFL, e.g. Who's going where? What players sprained his thumb while pulling the metal tag on his beer can. I guess 600,000,000 new registrations in China is just not important enough!
Edited
7 Years Ago by redcup
Podiacide
Podiacide
Rising Star
Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)Rising Star (806 reputation)

Looks like AFLX is actually happening this summer:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl/afl-news/aflx-to-be-launched-as-part-of-2018-preseason-shake-up-20171017-gz2c61.html

RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Clear air :D

RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

Honestly sounds like gaelic football but with a tweak or two.
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro

Afl also founded the ming dynasty 
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

RBBAnonymous - 17 Oct 2017 2:02 PM
Clear air :D

Image result for pollution

bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)

They shamelessly say that they intend to book up sockah grounds to play this shit. This "sport" exists for one reason and one reason only and I can't wait to see it die as hard in the arse as international rules did.

Edited
7 Years Ago by bohemia
Misc
Misc
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Would football clubs benefit from others booking their grounds? Or are they mostly owned by councils. 
Savic
Savic
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

I admit I've not followed this thread since the first page but keep seeing it pop up so i had a quick scan of the last page. 
I think this is as big a threat to football as park frisbee which afl actually has a lot in common with. What does the f in afl stand for again?
Crusader
Crusader
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)

AFLW is finished, with a 190cm 100kg tranny seeking to enter the draft. As the AFL has painted itself into a corner with its embrace of left wing social engineering they can't say no, and it will be impossible to maintain the pretence that AFLW isn't pathetic once he starts smashing women and kicking the ball twice as far as anyone else.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

Crusader - 17 Oct 2017 5:24 PM
AFLW is finished, with a 190cm 100kg tranny seeking to enter the draft. As the AFL has painted itself into a corner with its embrace of left wing social engineering they can't say no, and it will be impossible to maintain the pretence that AFLW isn't pathetic once he starts smashing women and kicking the ball twice as far as anyone else.

The league ruled on that today. Ruled ineligible. 
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

bohemia - 17 Oct 2017 4:52 PM

They shamelessly say that they intend to book up sockah grounds to play this shit. This "sport" exists for one reason and one reason only and I can't wait to see it die as hard in the arse as international rules did.

Smart 3 state strategy.

SA WA and Vic will eat this shit up. Playing possibly double or triple headers. It will be full and look good on the tv, especially if they do Aami.

I say  why not?
If they want to try it let them try. This is a way for Adelaide and Melbourne to get new bigger rectangle stadiums. Its not going to happen via MV or AU solely. 
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Crusader - 17 Oct 2017 5:24 PM

Didn't happen. Having played for the Australian men's handball team in Olympic qualification probably didn't help.
Edited
7 Years Ago by paladisious
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

This is GAA for retards

Viennese Vuck

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

melbourne_terrace - 17 Oct 2017 6:49 PM
This is GAA for retards

That's AFL already.
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

scott21 - 17 Oct 2017 6:15 PM
bohemia - 17 Oct 2017 4:52 PM

Smart 3 state strategy.

SA WA and Vic will eat this shit up. Playing possibly double or triple headers. It will be full and look good on the tv, especially if they do Aami.

I say  why not?
If they want to try it let them try. This is a way for Adelaide and Melbourne to get new bigger rectangle stadiums. Its not going to happen via MV or AU solely. 

We'd already have that leverage if the ARU, FFA and NRL grew some balls and just refused to play major events at oval grounds.

Viennese Vuck

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

melbourne_terrace - 17 Oct 2017 6:53 PM

We'd already have that leverage if the ARU, FFA and NRL grew some balls and just refused to play major events at oval grounds.

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

melbourne_terrace - 17 Oct 2017 6:53 PM

Not 100% whether AFL would push for it, because of the ownership of their own stadium and potentially doing MV a favour but Adelaide would be a no-brainer if/when AFLX is successful. 

Maybe Eddies Victoria Stadium idea can get extra funding to have retractable seats... Image result for eddie mcguire victoria park stadium
Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search