Baseball thread

Baseball thread

Author
salmonfc
World Class
World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Does anyone here actually give a fuck about baseball?

I might check out an Adelaide Bite game for the shits and gigs.

For the first time, but certainly not the last, I began to believe that Arsenals moods and fortunes somehow reflected my own. - Hornby

Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

http://forum.insidesport.com.au/929114/AustralianBaseballLeague
http://forum.insidesport.com.au/1070078/Baseball
http://forum.insidesport.com.au/2375540/TheBaseballThread

salmonfc
salmonfc
World Class
World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)

Ah shit. Which one becomes the official thread?

For the first time, but certainly not the last, I began to believe that Arsenals moods and fortunes somehow reflected my own. - Hornby

Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Went to a Doosan Bears game in Korea 2 months ago. Absolutely loved it.
Everyone on my mothers side of the family seems to get right into baseball and softball. My cousin came close to making the Australian team at some point in his junior years.

salmonfc
salmonfc
World Class

Apparently the MLB has withdrawn their support from the ABL. If you're looking to go to a game, you might not have much time left lel

vincenzogold
vincenzogold
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

salmonfc - 14 Nov 2016 12:54 PM
Apparently the MLB has withdrawn their support from the ABL. If you're looking to go to a game, you might not have much time left lel

Since when?? Why??
salmonfc
salmonfc
World Class

vincenzogold - 15 Nov 2016 3:03 PM
salmonfc - 14 Nov 2016 12:54 PM

Since when?? Why??

Australian Baseball League to go ahead in 2016, without financial support of Major League Baseball

GILBERT GARDINER, Herald Sun
August 3, 2016 6:44pm

THE Australian Baseball League will go ahead this season but its future remains in limbo after Major League Baseball ended its lucrative backing of the national competition.

MLB had funded 75 per cent of the loss-making league since in 2010 with Baseball Australia holding the other 25 per cent stake.

After a review of its international operations last year MLB decided to terminate its ownership of the ABL and redirect funds to the development of the sport in Australia.

This includes a three-year partnership of the High Performance MLB Academy on the Gold Coast.

“There is no question their exit is going to have a material impact on the league but they’re still heavily committed to the game,” Baseball Australia chief executive Brett Pickett said yesterday.

Baseball Australia will fund the upcoming 40-game season — reduced from 55 games last year — in conjunction with its state associations, with a view to potentially privatise teams as early as next year.

The largely volunteer-run ABL has so far struggled to gain traction, especially in Melbourne and Sydney with poor crowds and on-field performances taking a major toll.

“All options are on the table … (unlikely to happen this season) but as part of the longer term plans, yes,” Pickett said.

“(Baseball Australia) will be looking very carefully at what its options are available whether that’s franchising, operating licences or the sale of shares in the future.

“We’ll have to use our very, very limited amount of resources and get creative with our marketing and promotions for the league.”

Brisbane Bandits star Ryan Searle with the spoils of last season’s ABL championship win. Picture: ABL Media
The ABL was reborn six years ago with landmark support from MLB.

The US sporting giant poured money into the league to cover the cost of building MLB-spec diamonds and facilities in major capital cities.

“There is no question (we must streamline operations) to help us make costs more manageable and in line with Baseball Australia resources,” Pickett said adamant Baseball Australia could not absorb continued losses.

“If we can’t manage to reconstitute the ABL’s operational framework for the future then yes the league will be in trouble but we have every confidence that we can do so.”

The first incarnation of the ABL lasted a decade before it folded in 1999.

Pickett said the league was keen to maintain existing relationships with MLB clubs that have sent an increasing number of affiliated players to Australia to develop their craft.

Of those, 19 have gone on to make their MLB debuts including New York Yankees shortstop Didi Gregorius.

----

Hopefully the media buzz surrounding the World Series this year gives the game here a bit of a boost.

Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Well that sucks
salmonfc
salmonfc
World Class

Iridium1010 - 15 Nov 2016 4:01 PM
Well that sucks

Indeed. Only thing you can do is go to games, get your mates to games and if you're crazy enough about baseball, volunteer and take part. I'm already looking to go to a couple Adelaide Bite games.

salmonfc
salmonfc
World Class

GA tickets are $15 for adults, which is fairly reasonable.

salmonfc
salmonfc
World Class

In a simply wonderful night for South Australian sports, Adelaide Bite lose 13-4 to the Sydney Blue Sox.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search