BBL also looking to Expand into Gold Coast, Canberra, Geelong, Fremantle.

BBL also looking to Expand into Gold Coast, Canberra, Geelong,...

Author
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Cricket Australia's James Sutherland says an expanded Big Bash League is a 'mere formality'

Speaking to Grandstand before day two at the MCG, Sutherland said the success of Twenty20 cricket was pleasing.

"We're delighted with the continued progression of the BBL, and indeed the Women's Big Bash League as well, it got off to a great start a couple of weekends ago, and hopefully we'll continue to see great crowds for that," Sutherland said.

"We're really conscious of the way the Big Bash League has initially been designed and continues to be, bringing new people to the game, designed to complement, not compromise international cricket."

Asked about expressions of interest over the possibility of expansion BBL teams, Sutherland replied:

"We like the fact that people are very keen to have their own team and we've got interest from all different parts of the country; Gold Coast, Canberra, Geelong, Fremantle.

"Other sports and other codes do that. We don't feel the need to do that for the same strategic reasons as they do or have done, but at the same time we'll carefully think that through and make sure we get it right."

Asked if fans would be able to turn on the television on Christmas Day next year and watch the Big Bash, Sutherland replied:

"I'm not sure we'll be ready for it then. (But) the more I think about it ... then you see the next day the NBA and the audiences they get ... I think the growing sentiment is that that's a possibility.

"We'd need to think about the right venue for it, and we also need to consult widely.

"We understand that it's not just a narrow minded cricket decision. There's a lot more to it than that. And we'll think that through.

"But I think it is an opportunity and it would be a good thing for the game and for cricket fans around the country."

Sutherland said he did not believe the idea of travelling or playing on Christmas Day would be a bar to the idea of a Big Bash match, given the nature of modern professional cricket.

"I think it's also part of the job. The Australian cricket team come in a few days before Christmas and they're here. I know in Women's Big Bash League, our daughter, she was on a lunchtime flight to Sydney Christmas Day," he said.

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

Edited
8 Years Ago by View from the fence
kavorka
kavorka
Amateur
Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)

Good on em......what I'd love to see is them have the balls to expand the comp from six weeks to 3-4 months and up against some real tv programming, then lets see how popular the sport is.

sanchez
sanchez
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

kavorka - 28 Dec 2016 11:04 AM
Good on em......what I'd love to see is them have the balls to expand the comp from six weeks to 3-4 months and up against some real tv programming, then lets see how popular the sport is.

Yeah, you would have to think that a game designed for those with short attention spans would struggle with a longer season.
williamn
williamn
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

will be interesting to see what happens.

With the big bash based on the IPL, and the IPL for multiple reasons being unable to expand beyond 8 teams it will be interesting to see if the australian version can pull it off.

and secondly, with the afl having expanded into gold coast and canberra/western sydney leading to significant drops in attendance and away support, i wonder how that would effect their decision making for cricket. there are suitable oval stadiums for them though.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

How is this related to the australian football thread? Good on them though
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

No team in Wellington?

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Knock it up to 8 weeks for a full home and away comp first.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search