First trip to Bali

First trip to Bali

Author
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Organizing a bit of a trip for the family to Bali.

never been there before and heard plenty of good and bad about the place.

Do any of you guys have any tips? What are the pitfalls.

I am not interested in sightseeing (not sure if that is good or bad). Just want to relax and chill in a resort by the pools, beach, cocktail bars, massages (you get the idea).

Anyone recommend a good place to stay or a good resort. 

Is it better in Kuta, Seminyak, or Nusa Dua? Or anywhere else i am not aware of?
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Don't take any bags of pills with you.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 12 Feb 2017 8:20 AM
Don't take any bags of pills with you.

-PB

great tip that one. 
Cappuccino
Cappuccino
Amateur
Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)

Go somewhere interesting
Edited
7 Years Ago by Cappuccino
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Dont act like a fuckwit. Show some interest in the local culture. Dont be a sex tourist. 

Our reputation needs some reparation. 

thejollyvic
thejollyvic
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Dont wear a bing tang t shirt even when you come back
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

Cappuccino - 12 Feb 2017 5:32 PM
Go somewhere interesting

got any place in mind?

Always keen on interesting places. 
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

TheSelectFew - 12 Feb 2017 5:40 PM
Dont act like a fuckwit. Show some interest in the local culture. Dont be a sex tourist. 

Our reputation needs some reparation. 

The only problem is i have heard a lot of bad things about the local culture and environment as well, and well I just couldn't be bothered and just need to chill more than anything else, by the pool, at a cocktail bar, having a massage. etc etc etc and just anything else super relaxing and lazy.

Sex sounds good too, and would just about do it as far as exerting myself goes. 

I'm afraid its just about the resort this time round, so going upmarket 5 star with that and just over indulge in all things relaxing and lazy. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by mouflonrouge
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

mouflonrouge - 12 Feb 2017 8:47 PM
TheSelectFew - 12 Feb 2017 5:40 PM

The only problem is i have heard a lot of bad things about the local culture and environment as well, and well I just couldn't be bothered and just need to chill more than anything else, by the pool, at a cocktail bar, having a massage. etc etc etc and just anything else super relaxing and lazy.

Sex sounds good too, and would just about do it as far as exerting myself goes. 

I'm afraid its just about the resort this time round, so going upmarket 5 star with that and just over indulge in all things relaxing and lazy. 

Then why not go to Fiji or a pacific island?

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
paulbagzFC - 12 Feb 2017 11:27 PM

-PB

Cheap flights from Perth.

Has anyone that's posted actually been to Bali? I was strongly considering it for around Australia day as the hotel deals were insanely cheap (wet season). Just as well I didn't as I would have booked the flights with Tiger :laugh:

Anyway from my research which included friends that have been, Bali's great especially if you keep out of Kuta. From you're looking at just relaxing, I hear those private villas with your own swimming pool are pretty awesome.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

thejollyvic - 12 Feb 2017 7:28 PM
Dont wear a bing tang t shirt even when you come back

This
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

I went there in 1992. Got freaked out when a street whore stratched my arm with her long nails.
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

-PB

yes, the thought has crossed my mind.

but the buzz seems to be all about bali, so want to do it just to see what the fuss is all about. 
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

mcjules - 12 Feb 2017 11:45 PM

Cheap flights from Perth.

Has anyone that's posted actually been to Bali? I was strongly considering it for around Australia day as the hotel deals were insanely cheap (wet season). Just as well I didn't as I would have booked the flights with Tiger :laugh:

Anyway from my research which included friends that have been, Bali's great especially if you keep out of Kuta. From you're looking at just relaxing, I hear those private villas with your own swimming pool are pretty awesome.

Awesome thanks. Yeh I heard about Kuta. most people say its very dirty, busy and extremely over rated. don't know why people are fixated with it then. it's a bit of a party place and probably not ideal for families or at all relaxing. 

Kuta has not much interest for me basing my judgement solely on what I have heard. 

If I do sight see, i would be more interested in visiting some temples and things like that. 
StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
lol at people who go to Bali. that's all I got
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

StiflersMom - 13 Feb 2017 3:48 PM
lol at people who go to Bali. that's all I got

Never been but yes i would have to encourage people to do as much travel as they possibly can in their lifetimes, including Bali if possible. 

You just never know until you go. 

I've traveled a lot, and got to admit Bali never really interested me as a destination compared to all the other places I've been to, but the resorts are cheap and great value and very luxurious too.

To get a similar resort in Australia, you will pay about $900 a night (not affordable), and dearer in Europe but not as dear as Australia interestingly enough. 
Edited
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

mate, I've been there a few times in my surfing days pre family......my wife is not interested at all in the place.
Great as a young bloke for that intent obviously but as some have mentioned it isn't great for the fam around Kuta/Legian.
Unfortunately bogans and back packers and more screwed up the place years ago and the poor balos themselves hungry for any tourist $$$ or rip off.
My sister inlaw though loves it for her fam at the top resorts over the other side at Sanur or Nusa Dua.
As you mention value for money compared to our  Pacific Islands but tbh I prefer going nowadays.
My bro loved Sepang a few times with his family - again good value.

Love Football

sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

I stayed with my family in Seminyak last year (but we went cheap and were more about trips than staying at a resort). Seminyak had a much more relaxed pace than Kuta / Legian, however you are probably going to find better kid friendly resorts closer to Kuta / Legian. There are some really good ones in Bali for kids (I get the impression you don't need to leave the resorts as they have water parks at the actual resorts for the kids).

We also stayed out at Ubud for most our trip last time. Ubud town centre is very busy, but it is a lot smaller than Kuta etc. Ubud is more the artist / yoga area of Bali, however we used it as a base as it was closer to attractions we wanted to visit. The tree top rope park at the botanical gardens was great for the kids (although be quite a drive from Kuta / Legian). Travel is quite slow on Bali due to the high traffic volumes ... when our kids were really young this was annoying but last trip they were that bit older and wasn't as bad. Just don't be in a hurry to get anywhere far (hence if you are going to go places pick a base close by).

In the Kuta area we went to the Circus Water Park (the Water Bom Park is the popular one). The Circus Water Park was near on empty, we had most rides to ourselves and it cost about $20 for each of us for the day (including food).

Another option you could look at, depending on budget and kids, would be staying at the Bali Zoo. There are resort villas surrounding the zoo's open Savannah range. Not sure how well these villas are set up though.

I've heard Nusa Dua and Sanur are good for families but never been there myself. (Quieter settings).

Really though if you mainly want to stay in a resort you best bet would be to find a resort that fits your budget and wants (irrespective of where it is in Bali, as you don't seem interested in any activities offered in Bali).
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

LFC. - 13 Feb 2017 11:15 PM
mate, I've been there a few times in my surfing days pre family......my wife is not interested at all in the place.
Great as a young bloke for that intent obviously but as some have mentioned it isn't great for the fam around Kuta/Legian.
Unfortunately bogans and back packers and more screwed up the place years ago and the poor balos themselves hungry for any tourist $$$ or rip off.
My sister inlaw though loves it for her fam at the top resorts over the other side at Sanur or Nusa Dua.
As you mention value for money compared to our  Pacific Islands but tbh I prefer going nowadays.
My bro loved Sepang a few times with his family - again good value.

Yeh I hear you mate.

yeh I heard Bali has its bad side and I am not too keen on the "bogan" aspect. Don't want to be judgmental about some people, but we aussies do have a habit of making total dorks of ourselves whilst overseas. 

I am going to go to NUSA DUA and stick to the top resorts there. good value for money as far as top accommodation is concerned. 

Which pacific Islands do you prefer? 
Edited
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

sokorny - 14 Feb 2017 12:19 PM
I stayed with my family in Seminyak last year (but we went cheap and were more about trips than staying at a resort). Seminyak had a much more relaxed pace than Kuta / Legian, however you are probably going to find better kid friendly resorts closer to Kuta / Legian. There are some really good ones in Bali for kids (I get the impression you don't need to leave the resorts as they have water parks at the actual resorts for the kids).

We also stayed out at Ubud for most our trip last time. Ubud town centre is very busy, but it is a lot smaller than Kuta etc. Ubud is more the artist / yoga area of Bali, however we used it as a base as it was closer to attractions we wanted to visit. The tree top rope park at the botanical gardens was great for the kids (although be quite a drive from Kuta / Legian). Travel is quite slow on Bali due to the high traffic volumes ... when our kids were really young this was annoying but last trip they were that bit older and wasn't as bad. Just don't be in a hurry to get anywhere far (hence if you are going to go places pick a base close by).

In the Kuta area we went to the Circus Water Park (the Water Bom Park is the popular one). The Circus Water Park was near on empty, we had most rides to ourselves and it cost about $20 for each of us for the day (including food).

Another option you could look at, depending on budget and kids, would be staying at the Bali Zoo. There are resort villas surrounding the zoo's open Savannah range. Not sure how well these villas are set up though.

I've heard Nusa Dua and Sanur are good for families but never been there myself. (Quieter settings).

Really though if you mainly want to stay in a resort you best bet would be to find a resort that fits your budget and wants (irrespective of where it is in Bali, as you don't seem interested in any activities offered in Bali).

I wouldn't say I'm not interested in any activities. really don't have much of a clue what exactly is offered but if I find interesting things to do i will.

I found 3 resorts in NUSA DUA. One offers a kids club type thingy where the kids get to do all kinds of activities and there is also pools for them which are supervised and water park. sounds good to me. NUSA DUA is apparently much quieter and nicer than Kuta I am told. 

The prices aren't really cheap but by our standards they are good and offer great value for money. Accommodation is $230 per night, which is not bad for a 5 star in peak season offering all the bells and whistles, which is what I need since I will probably spend a lot of time in the resort as opposed to touring.

If I wasn't to spend a lot of time at a resort, I could get much cheaper accommodation deals without the bells and whistles.  
sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

mouflonrouge - 14 Feb 2017 12:54 PM
sokorny - 14 Feb 2017 12:19 PM

I wouldn't say I'm not interested in any activities. really don't have much of a clue what exactly is offered but if I find interesting things to do i will.

I found 3 resorts in NUSA DUA. One offers a kids club type thingy where the kids get to do all kinds of activities and there is also pools for them which are supervised and water park. sounds good to me. NUSA DUA is apparently much quieter and nicer than Kuta I am told. 

The prices aren't really cheap but by our standards they are good and offer great value for money. Accommodation is $230 per night, which is not bad for a 5 star in peak season offering all the bells and whistles, which is what I need since I will probably spend a lot of time in the resort as opposed to touring.

If I wasn't to spend a lot of time at a resort, I could get much cheaper accommodation deals without the bells and whistles.  

Pretty sure Nusa Dua has lots of beach based activities you can do ... para-sailing, surfing, etc. Considering it can cost over $230 a night during the week for a room in Perth I'd say you have a pretty sweet deal at that resort. Enjoy it ... the food is awesome there!
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

mouflonrouge - 14 Feb 2017 12:46 PM
LFC. - 13 Feb 2017 11:15 PM

Yeh I hear you mate.

yeh I heard Bali has its bad side and I am not too keen on the "bogan" aspect. Don't want to be judgmental about some people, but we aussies do have a habit of making total dorks of themselves whilst overseas. 

I am going to go to NUSA DUA and stick to the top resorts there. good value for money as far as top accommodation is concerned. 

Which pacific Islands do you prefer? 

Right choice re Nusa Dua.
Whatever anyone says near Kuta/Legian is horse's for course's. I wouldn't take my fam.
Pac islands, you know a hidden charm not as commercialised is Rarotonga compared to the usual suspects, some great resorts and very laid back and safe as.
Will be going back again one day soon.
I get very good deals to Hawaii and neighboring islands at times through my agent and the wife loves it since our honeymoon days. Yes commercial but some less known spots are brilliant, even in the off season worth a go and good savings.....
We like Tahiti, again when value deals are available, going away from the usual suspects is the key, the south west coast is to die for. Paradise.
New Caledonia is another brilliant place !

Love Football

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

sokorny - 14 Feb 2017 1:59 PM
mouflonrouge - 14 Feb 2017 12:54 PM

Pretty sure Nusa Dua has lots of beach based activities you can do ... para-sailing, surfing, etc. Considering it can cost over $230 a night during the week for a room in Perth I'd say you have a pretty sweet deal at that resort. Enjoy it ... the food is awesome there!

Oh yeh, those look like activities that would be lots of fun. Also love to spend some time at a nice beach. 

Thanks mate. 
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

LFC. - 14 Feb 2017 2:05 PM
mouflonrouge - 14 Feb 2017 12:46 PM

Right choice re Nusa Dua.
Whatever anyone says near Kuta/Legian is horse's for course's. I wouldn't take my fam.
Pac islands, you know a hidden charm not as commercialised is Rarotonga compared to the usual suspects, some great resorts and very laid back and safe as.
Will be going back again one day soon.
I get very good deals to Hawaii and neighboring islands at times through my agent and the wife loves it since our honeymoon days. Yes commercial but some less known spots are brilliant, even in the off season worth a go and good savings.....
We like Tahiti, again when value deals are available, going away from the usual suspects is the key, the south west coast is to die for. Paradise.
New Caledonia is another brilliant place !

It's always amazing how the usually best places of all in every destination are the little less known gems and less commercialized areas which tourists normally forego.

Thanks for opening my eyes regarding Raratonga. That looks interesting. 

Also Hawaii and Tahiti are on my hit lists.

i think I will only ever do Bali once because there are so many other places to see and if I been there and done it then that's it unless it turns out to be truly remarkable. 

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search