Les Murray and Craig Foster spearheading Chinese backed South Sydney expansion bid

Les Murray and Craig Foster spearheading Chinese backed South Sydney...

Author
moops
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Reedy - 6 Mar 2017 12:25 PM
@newton_circusGeelong yes, Wollongong no. (From what I've read)Still think Wolves should get in separately to Shire. It's weird cause I'm guessing they would have to do a bit of market research, surely there aren't people out there saying they'd love to drive up from the Gong to support a Shire team when the option of a pure Gong team isn't unrealistic (it's on the table at least surely)

Probably, only to keep the 'national' competition 50% Sydney and to keep viable clubs like Sth Melb out, FFA will be in heaven.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

I think most people believe the ffa are rigging this process and south Sydney is pretty much a given. The delay to at least 2018 smacks of they know where the second team is going as well, in Brisbane and roar have been given two years to prepare.
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Replacing the Nix is not Expansion

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Really positive to see another strong bid being put forward...  FFA continues to cry about viability and finances, yet all these investors are kicking at the door...  It's almost as if they, I don't know, have a more positive outlook for the game than the FFA themselves.
williamn
williamn
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

finally some good news. looks like the only way expansion can happen is if the capital is very significant. st george is football heartland too, i hope the goal is for a new stadium there
RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Would the people of Wollongong support a team from South Sydney. My view is they wouldn't. I could be wrong though. Any people from Wollongong want to tell me I am wrong.

#Blessed
#Blessed
Super Fan
Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)

$12 million in bank guarantees secured as capital

Long term plans to build its own stadium in the region

In the meantime, they will look to use Southern Cross Stadium at Cronulla, WIN Stadium at Wollongong and Jubilee Oval at Kogarah as home grounds.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/03/06/south-sydney-league-bid-announced

They can't build three stadiums to cover three regions can they?

Edited
7 Years Ago by #Blessed
williamn
williamn
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

^ would be like wsw me thinks. one region for home stadium, training base, wleague, youth league all shared out
RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

#Blessed - 6 Mar 2017 12:51 PM

In the meantime, they will look to use Southern Cross Stadium at Cronulla, WIN Stadium at Wollongong and Jubilee Oval at Kogarah as home grounds.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/03/06/south-sydney-league-bid-announced

As a WSW I am annoyed we have played at Parramatta, Spotless, ANZ and Campbelltown and those are stadiums just in Sydney. I can't wait to play in one permanent venue for the rest of our days. 

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

crimsoncrusoe - 6 Mar 2017 12:24 PM
FFA metrics....New team to have 1million fish....That's regional teams gone....but how to exclude SMFC?.............Geographical home at least 20km from another franchise?Southern Sydney Sharks(SSS)..Fan group...The Gestapo....
The bid is called Southern Expansion.  The fan group... The SEx Shop.  ;)
Edited
7 Years Ago by Gyfox
chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

RBBAnonymous - 6 Mar 2017 12:48 PM
Would the people of Wollongong support a team from South Sydney. My view is they wouldn't. I could be wrong though. Any people from Wollongong want to tell me I am wrong.

I live on the boundary of Sydney and Wollongong. The way I've always felt is that northern suburbs (around Bulli/Woonona up) would be more open to supporting a Southern Sydney or Sutherland side much in the same way people from about Sutherland down would be more open to supporting a Wollongong side. 
On a similar tone the talk that no-one outside the shire would support a side based in Sutherland is a myth. You just have to give people an excuse to support them. I travel down to Wollongong nearly every day, the most common sports merchandise I see is Cronulla Sharks. Granted they just won the premiership but it proves my point. Cronulla shirts, shorts and flags seem to be everywhere down there. Even more so than in the shire.
moops
moops
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

I don't personally see the difference to the Tassie bid, other than location.
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

moops - 6 Mar 2017 12:57 PM

I don't personally see the difference to the Tassie bid, other than location.

The difference is double the population, triple the number of registered players, already good stadiums to play in.
utd_19
utd_19
Hacker
Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)

I'm from Wollongong. You are right. I refuse to support a combined Wollongong/South Sydney team... we are two completely different regions. Its not what the people want down here I can guarantee you.

nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
View from the fence - 6 Mar 2017 12:41 PM
Replacing the Nix is not Expansion

That's what this bid looks like a replacement. But Wellington got 10 years.................

Wellington Phoenix FC

#Blessed
#Blessed
Super Fan
Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)

Will not have 'Sydney' in their club name:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/chinese-backers-for-proposed-new-aleague-franchise-southern-expansion/news-story/2288623416b0280d0f94eccabde6cf07

World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

nomates - 6 Mar 2017 1:23 PM

That's what this bid looks like a replacement. But Wellington got 10 years.................

https://media.giphy.com/media/AOo5AVBboFRvi/giphy.gif

hames_jetfield
hames_jetfield
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

nomates - 6 Mar 2017 1:23 PM

You understand the definition of 'conditional'?

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

I'm wondering whether the stadium is the new St George Stadium mentioned in this 4 Jan 17 article.

"The relocation of the golf course will pave the way for developers to transform the northern precinct, which has been identified by the Department of Planning as having potential for 5000 new homes, into a sprawling mixed-use development featuring a new FIFA-approved St George Stadium."

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/100-million-to-move-kogarah-golf-course-to-make-way-for-5000-homes-20170103-gtl4kp.html

Edited
7 Years Ago by Gyfox
World Class

Wollongong Wolves still planning on entering A-League despite South Sydney bid being confirmed

WOLLONGONG Wolves are intent on pushing ahead with an A-League expansion bid despite the region’s governing body confirming it was supporting a Sydney-based rival bid.

Football South Coast, which controls senior club and junior football in the Wollongong region, has been named along with St George and Sutherland associations as backing the Les Murray and Craig Foster-led “Southern Expansion” bid.

Reports of division in the region’s football threaten both bids, but Wolves CEO Chris Papakosmas says FSC has told him they will support both bids.

OFFICIAL: South Sydney bid made for A-League inclusion

It is understood FSC see the South Sydney bid as a preferred option of Football Federation Australia and want to align with the bid to bring a number of games to Wollongong’s WIN Stadium. In contrast the Wolves argue the area needs a standalone team rather than an amalgamated club.

“[The South Sydney] bid is talking about an area that covers Sutherland Shire, St George and the Illawarra – there’s not really a connection, a history or an understanding,” Wolves CEO Chris Papakosmas told foxsports.com.au. “Keep in mind a lot of the people south of Helensburgh don’t consider themselves Sydneysiders.

“Four games out of WIN Stadium is nothing compared to playing all of your home games there. The whole point of our bid is that Wolves is an existing entity, we have a strong memorandum of understanding with the Illawarra Stingrays, we have pathways for boys, girls, men and women in the region and we have an existing infrastructure.

“All we’re going to do is add an A-League and a W-League team above the pyramid that exists already and give the people something they can aspire to.

Wollongong Wolves played Sydney FC at WIN Stadium in the FFA Cup in 2016.
Wollongong Wolves played Sydney FC at WIN Stadium in the FFA Cup in 2016.Source: News Corp Australia

“Football South Coast had already gone on record saying they would back a bid from the Wolves and they would back a hybrid amalgamation from southern Sydney. It comes back to the fact we have a strong presence here on the South Coast and playing out of WIN Stadium.

“We can engage the Illawarra, we can engage the south coast and Shoalhaven and provide a pathway for the kids all the way from Helensburgh to the Victorian boarder. Nothing has changed in our intentions.”

The news of FSC backing a South Sydney bid comes a month after local billionaire Bruce Gordon stated he would throw his support behind a standalone Wollongong team.

Owner of WIN Television, Gordon confirmed he had been in touch with former FFA chairman Frank Lowy, who was succeeded by son Steven to the helm.

“We have talked to Frank Lowy and we are still talking to him,” he said. “We are very happy to support something … an A-League team. That will happen sooner or later. Probably sooner more than later.”

Papakosmas says there are a host of local business people lining up to support a Wolves A-League bid.

“Our only concern is putting together our bid and making sure we do the best for our region and our kids,” he said.

“We’ve already got quite a few successful business people in the region jumping on board and there are a few more announcements coming up that will make a statement.

“The expansion criteria has been delayed and we believe when the time is right we will be putting in a submission, it will be very, very attractive – you’re talking about a big geographical area, you’re talking about a very big growth population area and you’re talking about probably one of the best junior football nurseries in the country.

“We will have a standalone presence.”

Coverdale
Coverdale
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

I'm from Wollongong. I might go to a few games but in essence, no. Certainly wouldn't travel up for matches and can't imagine my support would gradually overtake united (my hometown)
chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Gyfox - 6 Mar 2017 1:30 PM
I'm wondering whether the stadium is the new St George Stadium mentioned in this 4 Jan 17 article.

"The relocation of the golf course will pave the way for developers to transform the northern precinct, which has been identified by the Department of Planning as having potential for 5000 new homes, into a sprawling mixed-use development featuring a new FIFA-approved St George Stadium."

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/100-million-to-move-kogarah-golf-course-to-make-way-for-5000-homes-20170103-gtl4kp.html

With Les Murray involved it would make sense
#Blessed
#Blessed
Super Fan

[quote]

It would be built to Football NSW Premier League standards, have a FIFA approved synthetic surface, and there would be three associated training fields:

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/3841567/stadium-move-in-new-cooks-cove-plans/?cs=1507

Surely that site would be too far north of Kogarah if they genuinely wanted to draw support from Illawarra (or even Sutherland) and not Sydney FC..?

robbos
robbos
Pro

Benjamin - 6 Mar 2017 12:43 PM
Really positive to see another strong bid being put forward...  FFA continues to cry about viability and finances, yet all these investors are kicking at the door...  It's almost as if they, I don't know, have a more positive outlook for the game than the FFA themselves.

Great comment!!!! Let's stay on the positive, another strong bid for the A-League.

sasha
sasha
Rising Star
Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)

your wrong

A16Man
A16Man
World Class
World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)

You're not wrong.
moops
moops
Pro

Gyfox - 6 Mar 2017 1:02 PM
moops - 6 Mar 2017 12:57 PM

The difference is double the population, triple the number of registered players, already good stadiums to play in.

This will mean the state of NSW is divided into 5 clubs (out of 12) to put it into context, even if there is 3 times the metrics, it's divided into 5 whilst the other could be divided into onto 1, currently 0.
I have nothing to do with Tassie, I'm just saying it has been blatantly clear what the FFA want and it is half the reason people are frustrated with them, from Lowy Dictatorship to this kind of shenanigans.
There really in the scheme of things, is no real difference other than location and the offer of 'debateable' derbies. I would rather a Queensland team and give them a derby, give a license to the most viable bids, or to eventually make our sport an actual national one.
If they were 1 of 4 expansion clubs I wouldn't care, but that's my view.
sasha
sasha
Rising Star
Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)

oops misread your post your absolutely right
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

#Blessed - 6 Mar 2017 1:54 PM
[quote]

It would be built to Football NSW Premier League standards, have a FIFA approved synthetic surface, and there would be three associated training fields:

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/3841567/stadium-move-in-new-cooks-cove-plans/?cs=1507

Surely that site would be too far north of Kogarah if they genuinely wanted to draw support from Illawarra (or even Sutherland) and not Sydney FC..?

I was thinking that it was too far north too but it might fit the training ground mentioned.  I know Les has mentioned the re use of St George Stadium a number of times over the years.
Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

433 - 6 Mar 2017 12:13 PM
RIP Wollongong 

Nah they will get a chance once pro/rel gets in. Then they will have a local derby of sorts.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search