Les Murray and Craig Foster spearheading Chinese backed South Sydney expansion bid

Les Murray and Craig Foster spearheading Chinese backed South Sydney...

Author
A16Man
World Class
World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Honestly any joint bid is detrimental for all involved. If FFA/Foster/Murray/Chinese investor want a successful Sydney team just make it based in Southern Sydney and connect with the one community to develop a great local following. By doing a haphazard half-here half-there approach you're expanding your potential support pool but shooting yourself in the foot.

Would WSW have been as successful if they split home games in Parramatta, Campbelltown and Penrith when they started?
williamn
williamn
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

the ones complaining about nsw clubs, sydney and melbourne clubs are what will propel the league forward. the competition will gain relevance by being in the newspapers of our big cities, not by trying to satisfy regional towns

#Blessed
#Blessed
Super Fan
Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)

moops - 6 Mar 2017 1:58 PM
Gyfox - 6 Mar 2017 1:02 PM

This will mean the state of NSW is divided into 5 clubs (out of 12) to put it into context, even if there is 3 times the metrics, it's divided into 5 whilst the other could be divided into onto 1, currently 0.
I have nothing to do with Tassie, I'm just saying it has been blatantly clear what the FFA want and it is half the reason people are frustrated with them, from Lowy Dictatorship to this kind of shenanigans.
There really in the scheme of things, is no real difference other than location and the offer of 'debateable' derbies. I would rather a Queensland team and give them a derby, give a license to the most viable bids, or to eventually make our sport an actual national one.
If they were 1 of 4 expansion clubs I wouldn't care, but that's my view.

NSW is literally 15 times the population of Tasmainia.

Sydney is literally 11 times the population of Hobart. 'Divide that by 5' and you're still >2 times better off in Sydney. (Not that Newcastle and CCM = Sydney either)

And this is before we start talking about corporate presence, disposable income, football infrastructure and history, transport, competition for stadium management etc.

Edited
7 Years Ago by #Blessed
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

williamn - 6 Mar 2017 2:05 PM
the ones complaining about nsw clubs, sydney and melbourne clubs are what will propel the league forward. the competition will gain relevance by being in the newspapers of our big cities, not by trying to satisfy regional towns Decentric.

Fixed.

Member since 2008.

A16Man
A16Man
World Class
World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)

#Blessed - 6 Mar 2017 2:09 PM

Sydney is literally 11 times the population of Hobart. 'Divide that by 5' and you're still >2 times better off in Sydney. 

And this is before we start talking about corporate presence, disposable income, football infrastructure and history, transport, competition for stadium management etc.

^Yep
moops
moops
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

Sydney is literally 11 times the population of Hobart. 'Divide that by 5' and you're still >2 times better off in Sydney. (Not that Newcastle and CCM = Sydney either)

Well it's bound to happen anyway, you don't even need to justify it.
It's the first bid we know is an instant yes and it's rotten to the core, but that's the way it is.
#Blessed
#Blessed
Super Fan
Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)

A16Man - 6 Mar 2017 2:03 PM
Honestly any joint bid is detrimental for all involved. If FFA/Foster/Murray/Chinese investor want a successful Sydney team just make it based in Southern Sydney and connect with the one community to develop a great local following. By doing a haphazard half-here half-there approach you're expanding your potential support pool but shooting yourself in the foot.

Would WSW have been as successful if they split home games in Parramatta, Campbelltown and Penrith when they started?

So when that 'experiment' falls over, SE will default to Kogarah/New Saints Stadium (which may or may not be Les Murray's hopes and intention from day 1) Sutherland and Wolves will then bid to stand alone?

Not so bad after all? Is it all that different to Sydney FC being granted an exclusive licence in 2004?

Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

utd_19 - 6 Mar 2017 1:03 PM
RBBAnonymous - 6 Mar 2017 12:48 PM

I'm from Wollongong. You are right. I refuse to support a combined Wollongong/South Sydney team... we are two completely different regions. Its not what the people want down here I can guarantee you.

How come there are so many people wearing Cronulla Shark jerseys down there then? All on holiday or is possible that some locals like the Sharks, even tho it doesnt really represent Wollongong?
A16Man
A16Man
World Class

Davo1985 - 6 Mar 2017 2:30 PM
utd_19 - 6 Mar 2017 1:03 PM

How come there are so many people wearing Cronulla Shark jerseys down there then? All on holiday or is possible that some locals like the Sharks, even tho it doesnt really represent Wollongong?

Because people down here support heaps of different Sydney NRL teams.
Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

nomates - 6 Mar 2017 1:23 PM
View from the fence - 6 Mar 2017 12:41 PM

That's what this bid looks like a replacement. But Wellington got 10 years.................

No they didnt you clown. They got 4 years with a review at the end of the 4, at which point they will be granted another 6 if they meet the metrics which they most certainly aren't at the moment.

Enjoy the last 18 months.
robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Davo1985 - 6 Mar 2017 2:01 PM
433 - 6 Mar 2017 12:13 PM

Nah they will get a chance once pro/rel gets in. Then they will have a local derby of sorts.

Exactly, I expect there will be 2 added teams & a 2nd division within the next 2-3 years.
There are enough bidders.

#Blessed
#Blessed
Super Fan

moops - 6 Mar 2017 2:27 PM

Well it's bound to happen anyway, you don't even need to justify it.
It's the first bid we know is an instant yes and it's rotten to the core, but that's the way it is.

Why is it 'rotten to the core'? Because it's in Sydney? Didn't you start this string with 'I don't personally see the difference to the Tassie bid, other than location'

moops
moops
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

#Blessed - 6 Mar 2017 2:38 PM
moops - 6 Mar 2017 2:27 PM

Why is it 'rotten to the core'? Because it's in Sydney? Didn't you start this string with 'I don't personally see the difference to the Tassie bid, other than location'

What?
Because it's FFA, it's predetermined and nothing else will be considered before it, no matter how good the bid.
Yes
Edited
7 Years Ago by moops
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 6 Mar 2017 2:15 PM
williamn - 6 Mar 2017 2:05 PM

Fixed.

Incorrect.

He's not wrong. Most media traction comes from derbies. No major newspapers run back page stories on Brisbane vs. Newcastle.

tfozz
tfozz
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

You cannot ignore the fact the NRL is made predominantly from NSW and the AFL from Melbourne, along with the fact South Sydney have the one of the highest participation rates. The idea that FFA are Sydney-centric without good reason is just silly. It is where the media and population congregate. Research governs decision as it did with the West of Sydney. If this bid is organised then it will get a licence.
Gayfish
Gayfish
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

BETHFC - 6 Mar 2017 2:43 PM
Munrubenmuz - 6 Mar 2017 2:15 PM

Incorrect.

He's not wrong. Most media traction comes from derbies. No major newspapers run back page stories on Brisbane vs. Newcastle.

People still read newspapers?
#Blessed
#Blessed
Super Fan

moops - 6 Mar 2017 2:41 PM
#Blessed - 6 Mar 2017 2:38 PM

What?
Because it's FFA.
Yes

FFA have made it clear that #1 factor for consideration will be based on population.

So now when any consortium that pops up from a highly-populated & soccer-rich area, it's immediately an FFA conspiracy against Tasmania? ...Really?

fuzz13
fuzz13
Fan
Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)

Would the people of Wollongong support a team from South Sydney. My view is they wouldn't. I could be wrong though. Any people from Wollongong want to tell me I am wrong.

I'm from Wollongong and I would NEVER support this team.

For me it has to be a standalone Wollongong team (Wolves or whoever) or nothing...

I fear it would be just another St George Dragons...pilfer the region, use the area as a training and living place, but play 4 games every year and play the lower-drawing games here with the marquee games played in Sydney.

You can't tell me that the fans of the WSW and SFC (and even CCM or NJ) wouldn't want to travel down to the Gong for their away games if the Wolves were the expansion team...it's an easy trip, 90mins tops, train sation 15mins from ground...the supporter groups could march from the Station down Burelli Street straight to the ground and it would be great to see...

Wollongong reminds me a lot of CCM...they got a team originally why now can't Wollongong be considered as standalone...
theFOOTBALLlover
theFOOTBALLlover
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Stupid idea. The Shire and Wollongong are two completely different areas. A club should represent an area not 2-3. It's ridiculous and what happens when the Wollongong Wolves come in? Sutherland and Wollongong can sustain 2 seperate teams. 
theFOOTBALLlover
theFOOTBALLlover
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

fuzz13 - 6 Mar 2017 2:52 PM

I'm from Wollongong and I would NEVER support this team.

For me it has to be a standalone Wollongong team (Wolves or whoever) or nothing...

I fear it would be just another St George Dragons...pilfer the region, use the area as a training and living place, but play 4 games every year and play the lower-drawing games here with the marquee games played in Sydney.

You can't tell me that the fans of the WSW and SFC (and even CCM or NJ) wouldn't want to travel down to the Gong for their away games if the Wolves were the expansion team...it's an easy trip, 90mins tops, train sation 15mins from ground...the supporter groups could march from the Station down Burelli Street straight to the ground and it would be great to see...

Wollongong reminds me a lot of CCM...they got a team originally why now can't Wollongong be considered as standalone...

100% agree. I worked in the Shire for the last 4 years and Wollongong and Sutherland are two completely different places. It would be stupid to have a team playing in 3 different stadiums like a traveling circus. How can people grow an attachment to a club when they can only watch them 4 times a season at their particular venues?
moops
moops
Pro

#Blessed - 6 Mar 2017 2:50 PM

FFA have made it clear that #1 factor for consideration will be based on population.

So now when any consortium that pops up from a highly-populated & soccer-rich area, it's immediately an FFA conspiracy against Tasmania? ...Really?

I see what you did there.
It was a point in moot, whilst I would like to see our 'national' sport become 'national', on paper the bids are pretty much the same, but overall I couldn't give a fuck if it was Tassie or Sth Sydney, I would rather the most viable.
The FFA clearly wanted this type of bid and it will be accepted without doubt, it's not the fact it could be viable, it's no conspiracy theory against Tasmania, it's what all this delay criteria is about, it's an unbalanced playing field.

RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Thanks to the guys from Wollongong for responding. As I suspected the people from Wollongong would support a stand alone club and not a joint venture.  No reason why eventually both teams can't be in the A-league in the near future. 

And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

sasha - 6 Mar 2017 1:56 PM

your wrong

you are wrong

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

#Blessed - 6 Mar 2017 2:50 PM

Head count or Body count ?

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

Edited
7 Years Ago by View from the fence
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

I’m not from Sydney and really don’t know their southern suburbs either.
From an outsiders perspective, would it be better if they simply concentrated on the two concentrated regions of St George & Sutherland rather than tipping it’s toes where they cannot stand in the Illawarra region?
Those two districts noted would/should have enough pulling power to meet the required metrics anyway for both supporters and TV viewers.

RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

aussie pride - 6 Mar 2017 3:13 PM
I’m not from Sydney and really don’t know their southern suburbs either.
From an outsiders perspective, would it be better if they simply concentrated on the two concentrated regions of St George & Sutherland rather than tipping it’s toes where they cannot stand in the Illawarra region?
Those two districts noted would/should have enough pulling power to meet the required metrics anyway for both supporters and TV viewers.

It's a bit like asking CCM and Newcastle to amalgamate. It just wouldn't be considered. 

World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

robbos - 6 Mar 2017 2:38 PM
Davo1985 - 6 Mar 2017 2:01 PM

Exactly, I expect there will be 2 added teams & a 2nd division within the next 2-3 years.
There are enough bidders.

I can't believe some people believe this
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
tfozz - 6 Mar 2017 2:44 PM
You cannot ignore the fact the NRL is made predominantly from NSW and the AFL from Melbourne, along with the fact South Sydney have the one of the highest participation rates. The idea that FFA are Sydney-centric without good reason is just silly. It is where the media and population congregate. Research governs decision as it did with the West of Sydney. If this bid is organised then it will get a licence.

All true, on top of that, there are strong footballing communities within easy reach of Sydney, so when all that is factored in, of course NSW will carry most of the A-League clubs now and going forward.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

So many bids from all over, and all being told to sod off because FFA don't want it.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Crusader
Crusader
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)

Three home grounds, could this be any worse?
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search