The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

Author
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I may be a couple of years too early on this, but I’d really like to see Atkinson considered for Socceroos RB. He’s been outstanding this season and so consistent - I haven’t seen him play a bad game. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Bowden - 27 Aug 2020 4:54 AM
I may be a couple of years too early on this, but I’d really like to see Atkinson considered for Socceroos RB. He’s been outstanding this season and so consistent - I haven’t seen him play a bad game. 

Thanks for the update. Really haven't seen many City games. Bodes well to keep Grant and Risdon on their toes.
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

johnszasz - 27 Aug 2020 5:26 AM
Bowden - 27 Aug 2020 4:54 AM

Thanks for the update. Really haven't seen many City games. Bodes well to keep Grant and Risdon on their toes.

Certainly gave as good as he got from Diamanti in the semi last night. I was impressed with his game up and down the park. He was one of the Olyroo's suspended after the Thailand incident. Hopefully he's got someone in his ear.
Edited
4 Years Ago by Footballking55
New Signing
New Signing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Atkinson has a big future IMO. At the moment though i honestly think Risdon is playing the best football of his career. He doesnt have the stamina of Grant but is a significantly better footballer
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Suddenly our centre back stocks are looking healthier.

Sainsbury and Degenek are playing regularly. Souttar is killing it at the moment. Wright is captain at Sunderland and doing very well. Very exciting is Susnjar will be on TV every week. Deng is learning the trade and will be a Roo regular. Can Good have another solid season?

In emergencies I'd have no issue seeing a regular playing Jurman recalled or even Dellbridge for certain fixtures. 
Josh
Josh
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Agree John. I’d still have sainsbury degenek as my top two followed by deng and souttar in third and fourth. As for fifth and sixth I’d love a Dylan Ryan to kick on. He was impressive for the Olyroo’s and is young and looks classy. 
The issue is the fullback positions. 
The two best RB’s at the moment would still have to be grant and risdon. I know Leckie gets mentioned a lot but I don’t see it. 
As for LB  you would have to say Smith and behich. Bloody gersbach shits me, go and play a  game Alex! 

Looking into the future what about a Jordan Lyden or gethin Jones at RB? Then a Callum elder at LB. 

Another defender I have high hopes for is ouzinidis at Everton. I know we have all been fooled before by aussies at top reserve teams and doing nothing with it but by all reports this kid is the real deal 

quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

johnszasz - 7 Oct 2020 9:44 PM
Suddenly our centre back stocks are looking healthier.

Sainsbury and Degenek are playing regularly. Souttar is killing it at the moment. Wright is captain at Sunderland and doing very well. Very exciting is Susnjar will be on TV every week. Deng is learning the trade and will be a Roo regular. Can Good have another solid season?

Are any of those guys able to play at left back? Or right back, for that matter?

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

quickflick - 7 Oct 2020 10:23 PM
johnszasz - 7 Oct 2020 9:44 PM

Are any of those guys able to play at left back? Or right back, for that matter?

Not really. We're still way ahead compared to the days of Holger playing randoms at right and left back. 

I don't enjoy Deng at right back. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

josh sydneyfc - 7 Oct 2020 10:10 PM
Agree John. I’d still have sainsbury degenek as my top two followed by deng and souttar in third and fourth. As for fifth and sixth I’d love a Dylan Ryan to kick on. He was impressive for the Olyroo’s and is young and looks classy. 
The issue is the fullback positions. 
The two best RB’s at the moment would still have to be grant and risdon. I know Leckie gets mentioned a lot but I don’t see it. 
As for LB  you would have to say Smith and behich. Bloody gersbach shits me, go and play a  game Alex! 

Looking into the future what about a Jordan Lyden or gethin Jones at RB? Then a Callum elder at LB. 

Another defender I have high hopes for is ouzinidis at Everton. I know we have all been fooled before by aussies at top reserve teams and doing nothing with it but by all reports this kid is the real deal 

Can't believe I forgot Ryan. 

Gersbach is the exact type of player who should be playing every week in the A League instead of what he's doing now. 

I'm not concerned with our right or left back options. Risdon and Grant have proven they can while Lyden was a talent but has been much better in midfield. 

I prefer Elder currently. Behich is simply locked in by Arnold as he's part of the leadership group. 
Josh
Josh
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Fair enough. 
With Japan fielding an all European team I thought who would be in our all European team for a friendly. 

Ryan
        Degenek sainsbury souttar behich
                            luongo jeggo
                      Leckie hrustic boyle
                                  ruka

Arzani off the bench and John iredale off the bench too to cap him 

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

South American world cup qualification begins this week. AFC is usually done first but we've lost 12 months.

The 2022 WC simply won't be put back to the following June but maybe by 12 months. 
CanberraHarry
CanberraHarry
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

If Arzani starts a match with FC Utrecht before the USA match, will he start for Australia in the upcoming friendly?  Personally, I hope Arnie just brings Arzani into camp and I would be happy to not see him play. With Boyle, Mabil, Borello and Hrustic, there are other options. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

CanberraHarry - 14 Oct 2020 4:36 PM
If Arzani starts a match with FC Utrecht before the USA match, will he start for Australia in the upcoming friendly?  Personally, I hope Arnie just brings Arzani into camp and I would be happy to not see him play. With Boyle, Mabil, Borello and Hrustic, there are other options. 

Maybe not start but he'll be in the squad. His cameos are nice steps but I'd hoped for a more accelerated thing by now. Patience patience.
CanberraHarry
CanberraHarry
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

johnszasz - 14 Oct 2020 9:07 PM
CanberraHarry - 14 Oct 2020 4:36 PM

Maybe not start but he'll be in the squad. His cameos are nice steps but I'd hoped for a more accelerated thing by now. Patience patience.

I am just thrilled Arzani is back playing at a respectable level and getting opportunities. There’s really no rush. If he was a first teamer by Christmas I’d be delighted. As for national team representation, any scenario that sees him match fit with a chunk of club games under his belt by the next qualifier would be awesome. In the meantime, we are not short of wide player options. 
Marinator7
Marinator7
Fan
Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)

In terms of a squad for the upcoming November friendlies, if we limit it to European based players, these are the options. (I have excluded some players playing youth levels in Europe etc). Generally they are ordered as who I think has a better chance of being in the squad, players in bold being definite in a squad I would pick.

GK:
Mat Ryan
Danny Vukovic (assuming COVID recovery)
Lawrence Thomas
Ashley Maynard-Brewer
Dean Bouzanis
Paul Izzo (season hasn't started I believe)

Defenders:
Trent Sainsbury
Milos Degenek
Harry Souttar
Bailey Wright

Callum Elder
Cam Burgess
Fran Karacic
Aziz Behich (hasn't played in some time)
Matt Jurman (season hasn't started I believe)
Jack Iredale
Alex Gersbach (hasn't played in some time)

Midfielders:
Massimo Luongo
James Holland
Tom Rogic
Jimmy Jeggo

Riley McGree
Josh Brilliante (season hasn't started I believe)
Mustafa Amini (hasn't played in some time for his club)
Nikola Mileusnic
Anthony Kalik
Tyres Francois

Wingers:
Matthew Leckie
Awer Mabil
Martin Boyle
Daniel Arzani
Asdin Hrustic

Brandon Borrello
Ryan Williams
Ryan Edwards

Forwards:
Nikita Rukavysta
Tomi Juric

Apo Giannou
Jason Cummings
John Iredale
Deni Juric
Ben Folami

Could be good to blood some of the younger guys, even if they don't get off the bench would be good to have them in camp.
chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Iredale Id like to see.
jasongenova
jasongenova
Hacker
Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)

Assuming its a 23 man squad for the friendlies
Look to play a - 3-4-3/5-4-1 variation
Ryan
Souttar, Sainsbury, Degenek
Leckie, Luongo, Amini, Elder
Hrustic, Ruka, Mabil
Bench
Vukovic (assuming he has recovered from Covid)
Maynard-Brewer
Karacic
Wright
Behich
Jeggo
Holland
McGree
Borello
Arzani
Boyle
Giannou

Interested to see if he calls up Alex Roberston into camp or even Gwargis from brighton
sportaddict
sportaddict
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Would like to see some youth players - Caleb Watts, John Iredale, Jacob Italiano, Ryan Teague, Akiel Raffie, Alex Robertson, Tristan Hammond, Noah Botic, Dylan Ryan - get called up for the squad, even just for training. 
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Pretty cool for Lawrence Thomas to get called in 
CanberraHarry
CanberraHarry
Semi-Pro

Pretty decent squad from the Euro contingent. Right back is an issue but everywhere else is pretty good. I would hope McGree gets a call up.
SpongeBobFC
SpongeBobFC
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

CanberraHarry - 16 Oct 2020 7:34 PM
Pretty decent squad from the Euro contingent. Right back is an issue but everywhere else is pretty good. I would hope McGree gets a call up.

I expect GA to get as many olyroos together as possible so i think we’ll see Gersbach in camp and hopefully Iredale gets some game minutes.
even guys like Italiano and Brewer might get brought in to train 
CanberraHarry
CanberraHarry
Semi-Pro

SpongeBobFC - 16 Oct 2020 9:02 PM
CanberraHarry - 16 Oct 2020 7:34 PM

I expect GA to get as many olyroos together as possible so i think we’ll see Gersbach in camp and hopefully Iredale gets some game minutes.
even guys like Italiano and Brewer might get brought in to train 

That would be a good approach.
Josh
Josh
Pro

Do we consider playing Leckie as the 9?
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

josh sydneyfc - 18 Oct 2020 11:13 AM
Do we consider playing Leckie as the 9?

I wouldn’t. Doesn’t have the finishing skills needed. Try him at L or R back cos he has a great engine 
hellas_johnny
hellas_johnny
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

boyle up front with mabil leckie on the wings
CanberraHarry
CanberraHarry
Semi-Pro

Personally I’d leave Leckie out of Socceroo starting XI. Good for the squad though. And I am no fan of having him at right back either, as I am not sure he would be tactically or technically capable enough for that position.  There are no obvious choices though for right back from the Euro boys though.
Ruka is the best Euro option for the 9 spot now but Boyle is an option too. And with Hrustic, Mabil and Arzani added to Boyle we have some good options up front. Rogic still a good option for the bench too. 
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

So the local rag here in Townsville has us in discussions with England FA to fill the gap left by New Zealand. Has anyone anything concrete on this? Big surprise if correct.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Footballking55 - 19 Oct 2020 5:59 PM
So the local rag here in Townsville has us in discussions with England FA to fill the gap left by New Zealand. Has anyone anything concrete on this? Big surprise if correct.

Discussion had reached a detailed phase according to reports a few days ago. Line is dead now. 
jaymz
jaymz
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

We have no good options for striker in the upcoming friendlies. Perfect time to try Rogic there which may in the longer term add some flexibility to our playing style

Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

jaymz - 20 Oct 2020 9:34 AM
[quote]
jaymz - 20 Oct 2020 9:34 AM
We have no good options for striker in the upcoming friendlies. Perfect time to try Rogic there which may in the longer term add some flexibility to our playing style

Ruka. 22 goals from 36 games last season, 4 goals from 2 games so far this season 👍
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search