The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

Author
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Balin Trev - 15 Mar 2024 11:06 AM
Barca4Life - 15 Mar 2024 11:00 AM

Yep. Arnold did really well to qualify for WCup and win 2 games to finish 11th. Fantastic 👏
but since, ACup he failed. Latest squad selections not very promising or progressive. 
Since Mooy left team has been short of ideas. Nisbet next best thing to Mooy but Arnold not interested 👎

The only way he can justify by staying on till 2026 is by making the 2nd round of the World Cup or by going even further.

Otherwise if we crash out of the group stage was it worth staying for another 4 years? That's the risk for Arnie because expectations are alot more higher now than it was during the 2022 World Cup where no one gave them a chance.

What makes it more baffling is someone like Ernie Merrick who is the disruptor at FA to say we lack the cattle so why criticise the coach? Feels weird.
Edited
2 Months Ago by Barca4Life
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

@Decentric the Olyroos are playing in the WAFF this window. It would've been a decent domestic window otherwise. Lots of football on next week. 
Hillbilly55
Hillbilly55
Amateur
Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)

We all thought that the 2026 WC would be a simple exercise with the extra slots to each confederation. With Arnie's selections this window, I don't feel that we are guaranteed the spot that is available. If we think we are taking any of Fornaroli, Duke, Goodwin and Glover to the WC, we may not actually make it. So isn't it better to get the team right now, and give the players the legs they need before throwing them into the cauldron of World Cup Football?
Edited
2 Months Ago by Hillbilly55
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Hillbilly55 - 15 Mar 2024 5:35 PM
We all thought that the 2026 WC would be a simple exercise with the extra slots to each confederation. With Arnie's selections this window, I don't feel that we are guaranteed the spot that is available. If we think we are taking any of Fornaroli, Duke, Goodwin and Glover to the WC, we may not actually make it. So isn't it better to get the team right now, and give the players the legs they need before throwing them into the cauldron of World Cup Football?

1000%. Great post!
Keeper66
Keeper66
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Balin Trev - 15 Mar 2024 11:06 AM
Barca4Life - 15 Mar 2024 11:00 AM

Yep. Arnold did really well to qualify for WCup and win 2 games to finish 11th. Fantastic 👏
but since, ACup he failed. Latest squad selections not very promising or progressive. 
Since Mooy left team has been short of ideas. Nisbet next best thing to Mooy but Arnold not interested 👎

I wouldn't even say he did well to qualify for the World Cup. He fucked up the group stage, and then fortunately was able to recover in the play-offs.
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Quicky - 14 Mar 2024 10:15 PM
With the squad we have I'd like to see this 11

Ryan
Jones Souttar Rowles Bos
                   Irvine
          Metcalfe McGree
     Hrustic Yengi Goodwin

I like this. I can understand why Arnold would be conservative in the first game with only one training session before the game . But assuming a comfortable win and more training sessions the second game needs to be more like that. With Nisbet in the squad I would start him as the left attacking mid and bring Silvera in for Goodwin    
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Miller ruled out injured and Nisbet comes in.

I really have no idea what Arnold is thinking. A midfielder now gets picked to achieve a better balance. Why wasn't this done in the first place? 
bbouy
bbouy
Rising Star
Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)

Tbf the reason we aren't guaranteed is because everyone is getting a lot better fast. Just be thankful they have extra spots. I do think in 2025, we need to start doing another transition with starters and get players like Volpato, Robertson and Circati into the mix fast because they should be the starters at WC26. Arnie did say in his selection interview that he doesn't expect most or any of the 30+'s to make WC26 so I expect a bit of an exodus in the meantime. I'd honestly start transitioning out Duke and Behich, Duke can maybe pull through or another year but there are two LB's better than Behich and both playing way more in Bos and Farrell but both are young so it's less enticing to get rid of Behich and his "experience". 
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

bbouy - 16 Mar 2024 7:22 PM

Tbf the reason we aren't guaranteed is because everyone is getting a lot better fast. Just be thankful they have extra spots. I do think in 2025, we need to start doing another transition with starters and get players like Volpato, Robertson and Circati into the mix fast because they should be the starters at WC26. Arnie did say in his selection interview that he doesn't expect most or any of the 30+'s to make WC26 so I expect a bit of an exodus in the meantime. I'd honestly start transitioning out Duke and Behich, Duke can maybe pull through or another year but there are two LB's better than Behich and both playing way more in Bos and Farrell but both are young so it's less enticing to get rid of Behich and his "experience". 

I expect the transition to start in earnest in June during dead rubbers - assuming 2 wins against Lebanon in this window. TBH I can't see the Olyroos making Paris so some of them may also be in the discussion then.  
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

johnszasz - 16 Mar 2024 6:22 PM
Miller ruled out injured and Nisbet comes in.

I really have no idea what Arnold is thinking. A midfielder now gets picked to achieve a better balance. Why wasn't this done in the first place? 

My guess is arnie wants to focus on his problem positions in rb and striker so selecting extras to create competition for those spots
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

grazorblade - 16 Mar 2024 8:00 PM
johnszasz - 16 Mar 2024 6:22 PM

My guess is arnie wants to focus on his problem positions in rb and striker so selecting extras to create competition for those spots

Fair point. Strain went a long way to solving it. The next generation are going to add heat too. We should be alright. 

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

So mooy in the season he was 24 had 7 goals and 4 assists in all competitions in 28 matches

Nisbet has played 31 matches for 3 goals and 13 assists at the same age

Could we be about to see another special player emerge from the a league
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

grazorblade - 16 Mar 2024 8:42 PM
So mooy in the season he was 24 had 7 goals and 4 assists in all competitions in 28 matches

I think so and it's key he makes a good European move where the club and coaches really aim to see him thrive. He's got to earn it too of course. With Mooy, Huddersfield just treated him right because they knew what they had. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

johnszasz - 16 Mar 2024 8:53 PM

I think so and it's key he makes a good European move where the club and coaches really aim to see him thrive. He's got to earn it too of course. With Mooy, Huddersfield just treated him right because they knew what they had. 

I was impressed that hudders in the championship which was still quite physical back then appreciated such a small, slow technician like mooy. Fans were pretty sane too

These days the championship has become much more technical
Pasquali
Pasquali
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

I’d also argue that the standard in the A-league has risen which makes it more impressive imo 

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Path A
RankTeam
1 Poland
2 Wales
3 Finland
4 Estonia
Path B
RankTeam
1 Israel
2 Bosnia and Herzegovina
3 Ukraine
4 Iceland
Path C
RankTeam
1 Georgia
2 Greece
3 Kazakhstan
4 Luxembourg

Thought I'd chuck this in here due to better traffic. Who would you like to see make the Euros?

A goes to Netherlands, France, Austria

B to face Belgium, Slovakia, Romania

C Turkey, Portugal, Czech Rep

Estonia would be epic but I want Wales for the tourism. B offers a political circus so I hope for Iceland. C, Go Luxembourg but Greece with their community in Germany will be excellent not to mention facing Turkey in Dortmund. 
NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

johnszasz - 19 Mar 2024 3:09 AM
Path A
RankTeam
1 Poland
2 Wales
3 Finland
4 Estonia
Path B
RankTeam
1 Israel
2 Bosnia and Herzegovina
3 Ukraine
4 Iceland
Path C
RankTeam
1 Georgia
2 Greece
3 Kazakhstan
4 Luxembourg

Thought I'd chuck this in here due to better traffic. Who would you like to see make the Euros?

Estonia would be epic but I want Wales for the tourism. B offers a political circus so I hope for Iceland. C, Go Luxembourg but Greece with their community in Germany will be excellent not to mention facing Turkey in Dortmund. 

Hope: Estonia, Iceland, Luxembourg
Think: Poland, Ukraine, Greece
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

NicCarBel - 19 Mar 2024 3:15 AM

Hope: Estonia, Iceland, Luxembourg
Think: Poland, Ukraine, Greece

Hope: Finland, Iceland, Greece,

Predict: Poland, Bosnia, Georgia.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Path A
RankTeam
1 Poland
2 Wales
3 Finland
4 Estonia
Path B
RankTeam
1 Israel
2 Bosnia and Herzegovina
3 Ukraine
4 Iceland
Path C
RankTeam
1 Georgia
2 Greece
3 Kazakhstan
4 Luxembourg

Greece would be good value in group C if nothing else just for the laughs:
vs Turkey obvious rivalry both have massive German expat communities and will be weel atteded.,
vs Portugal, well the Portos will run them over but a draw or a cheeky win just for the  throwback to 2004 and a chance to tease my buddy Robbo :P
vs Czech Republic - again 2004 Greece killed the only "golden generation" the Czechs ever had and destroyed the most tactically brilliant side at that Euros having a chance at a final... payback?

robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 19 Mar 2024 9:54 AM

Greece would be good value in group C if nothing else just for the laughs:
vs Turkey obvious rivalry both have massive German expat communities and will be weel atteded.,
vs Portugal, well the Portos will run them over but a draw or a cheeky win just for the  throwback to 2004 and a chance to tease my buddy Robbo :P
vs Czech Republic - again 2004 Greece killed the only "golden generation" the Czechs ever had and destroyed the most tactically brilliant side at that Euros having a chance at a final... payback?

2004 was a long time ago & this was the Greek GG & Ronaldo was a young boy.
This is probably Portugal Golden generation, not sure any Greeks playing in the top league at present.
So good luck with that.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

robbos - 19 Mar 2024 10:06 AM
Monoethnic Social Club - 19 Mar 2024 9:54 AM

2004 was a long time ago & this was the Greek GG & Ronaldo was a young boy.
This is probably Portugal Golden generation, not sure any Greeks playing in the top league at present.
So good luck with that.

If you mean the Saudi league then I guess you are right... thank Christ.
robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 19 Mar 2024 10:20 AM
robbos - 19 Mar 2024 10:06 AM

If you mean the Saudi league then I guess you are right... thank Christ.

No I mean Jota, Joao Felix, Leao, Ramos, Silva, Bruno, Nunes, Dalot, Dias, Cancelo, Neto & many many more.
Ronaldo is now 38 years old & earning lots of money after winning everything.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

robbos - 19 Mar 2024 11:01 AM
Monoethnic Social Club - 19 Mar 2024 10:20 AM

No I mean Jota, Joao Felix, Leao, Ramos, Silva, Bruno, Nunes, Dalot, Dias, Cancelo, Neto & many many more.
Ronaldo is now 38 years old & earning lots of money after winning everything.

Wilko's latest fashion statement in Portugal. Fisherman wettie!

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Just mental. Georgia now lead Luxembourg 2:0 but that wasn't after Luxembourg went up the other end to make it 1:1 only for the goal to be cancelled out by VAR and a red card as Georgia had been fouled while bearing down on goal. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

HT in Europe. Greece will play Georgia as they're 4:0 up against Kazakhstan. Poland up 1:0 against Estonia who are down to 10 men and the same bracket sees Wales 2:1 up against Finland. Iceland winning 2:1 in Israel while Bosnia Ukraine goalless. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Lots of drama. Georgia host Greece. Israel missed a pen to equalise and ended up losing 4:1 to Iceland who'll face Ukraine after two late goals to beat Bosnia. Wales host Poland.

Greece Wales Iceland please.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Notice how we don't miss Leckie, Boyle and Mabil? 
Neanderthal
Neanderthal
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

johnszasz - 26 Mar 2024 9:29 PM
Notice how we don't miss Leckie, Boyle and Mabil? 

We’ll miss Leckie against big teams. He was too good off the ball. Hard to replace that when you’re up against top top opposition.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Neanderthal - 26 Mar 2024 9:46 PM
johnszasz - 26 Mar 2024 9:29 PM

We’ll miss Leckie against big teams. He was too good off the ball. Hard to replace that when you’re up against top top opposition.

I suppose so but he's really starting to fade away and we haven't had him in the side for ages. He even withdrew injured against Mexico.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)

Really need guys like Goodwin duke and Cummings in the a league imagine seeing them every week 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search