The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

Author
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Decentric - 12 Oct 2017 12:20 PM
Barca4Life - 12 Oct 2017 12:09 PM

I'd have to have a look again, but the Socceroos may have played closer to a flat midfield 3-4-3, if Kruse and Leckie played higher and wider. 

Or  was it a 3-4-3 with the  1:3 midfield, or diamond  midfield  combo? 

These are classic, tried and proven formations that have worked effectively in football scenarios for some time.

Well i was at the game it looked like a 1:3 at times it came to a diamond with Mooy and Troisi dropping in to help the build up.

For the first 10 minutes, it almost was a disaster! But once Mooy came in he helped us get that control back in MF, in theory it worked a it havent seen the Socceroo this fluid in there play in a long time, probably since the Asian Cup.

Mooy and Troisi seemed more effective in the midfield setup, Rogic had more freedom centrally too this hasnt occured in a long while.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Iraq and Iran and Japan are killing it the under 17 world cup. Iran beat Germany 4:0 and Iraq beat Chile 3:0. Is this something that'll die down once they hit senior age like a fair number of talented youth players do? At this rate we're going to be in even more trouble than now if we don't shape up. 
Pasquali
Pasquali
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

johnszasz - 14 Oct 2017 6:52 AM
Iraq and Iran and Japan are killing it the under 17 world cup. Iran beat Germany 4:0 and Iraq beat Chile 3:0. Is this something that'll die down once they hit senior age like a fair number of talented youth players do? At this rate we're going to be in even more trouble than now if we don't shape up. 

The fact that many of those players will stay in their home countries instead of playing overseas definitely ruins their potential imo.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
The Fans - 8 Oct 2017 2:29 PM
Decentric - 8 Oct 2017 2:13 PM

a) it doesn't matter what foot you tackle with, what matters is the effectiveness and judgement. i mean the foot you tackle with is the foot thats there at the time right? you have a certain amount of strides to get there and you tackle with the next foot. If you're going for a tackle and failing its because your judgement is off. 
b) the actual tackling is a very small part of defensive ability for a midfielder, its just the icing on top.

The biggest things defensively for a midfielder are:
1. positioning, usually just simply knowing which player you need to mark and how close are you to the man you need to mark. but also other stuff like how aware you are at cutting out "passing lanes" and how well you use your defensive "shadow" 
2. how fast (consistently) you shut down the player you are supposed to be marking. 

rogic sucks at defending because he's slow and lazy. he's hardly ever close enough to who he's marking and he's very slow to put them under pressure, just jogs up to them.

I haven't got time ATM to respond to this in depth, but I will in the next few days about tackling with the correct foot. There are two different schools of thought.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

grazorblade - 8 Oct 2017 2:55 PM
The Fans - 8 Oct 2017 2:38 PM

I've never coached so my views may be lay men but when I look at positioning I look at the following

1. is the off side trap straight? (almost never is for us)
2. how quickly does a back four form in defence when transitioning from attack to defence? (this is ok)
3. how quickly does the second line of defence form to defend against cutbacks or long shots (this is particularly bad for us)
4. How quickly does the shape adjust to a player being pulled out of position. For example if a midfielder is tracking a run into the box does someone quickly mark the zone left unoccupied? (This was highlighted by an oz commentator at a confed cup game which was nice to hear) If a player is beaten and another player has to help him out is the new space created by the assistence quickly closed?
5. How quickly do the players (if ever) get into the optimal veritcal and horizontal spacing when defending deep (or diagonal lines when defending from the front)
6. how straight are your vertical lines. When defending deep its optimal to play a block of 8 but if you are playing a block of 6 your 2 mids need to have straight lines forming a square with the cbs. The square can move side to side as the opposition try and probe.  The players need to look as though they have ropes connecting them. WSW were great at this. In the GF vs roar la rocca moved to defence and mooy had to move to 6 and while he was good at generating turnovers the vertical lines were messy and brisbane could finally penetrate
7. when defending deep how well is the positions marked 0 covered
---x-x-x-x---
---0-x-x-0---
there aren't many sides in asia that can punish sloppiness in this area mind you. 
8. when in the middle third are players efficiently swarmed using a shrinking triangle formation or is it just helter skelter? When a player is swarmed how are other players adapting to the space they leave?
9. In the middle third does the (10m either side of half way) does the triangle keep is shape and slide/rotate as appropriate?

In all my time watching the a league only wsw have been good at this and then only for a few seasons. They are ok now as were AU that year they won the gf a couple of years ago

This requires a thesis to respond!
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Barca4Life - 12 Oct 2017 2:24 PM
Decentric - 12 Oct 2017 12:20 PM

Well i was at the game it looked like a 1:3 at times it came to a diamond with Mooy and Troisi dropping in to help the build up.

For the first 10 minutes, it almost was a disaster! But once Mooy came in he helped us get that control back in MF, in theory it worked a it havent seen the Socceroo this fluid in there play in a long time, probably since the Asian Cup.

Mooy and Troisi seemed more effective in the midfield setup, Rogic had more freedom centrally too this hasnt occured in a long while.

You are correct.

I've just had a look at the replay again.

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Decentric - 14 Oct 2017 7:48 AM
grazorblade - 8 Oct 2017 2:55 PM

This requires a thesis to respond!
[/quote]

haha maybe the short version is "does it look pretty and organized" :D

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Here is a good replay.

Rogic and cahill both had chances cleared off the line

leckie, troisi, rogic, ruka and kruse all fluffed (or didnt take) gettable chances

so poor finishing and bad luck disguised an otherwise excellent performance

hard to think of times when our attack has shown more cohesion over the last decade

kruse's finishing should improve with game time since he used to be good at club level but has had such a long era of injury. He has already scored 3

Still, until we improve finishing at youth level we will need to be miles ahead of the opposition to consistently beat them

Edited
7 Years Ago by grazorblade
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Pasquali - 14 Oct 2017 7:28 AM

The fact that many of those players will stay in their home countries instead of playing overseas definitely ruins their potential imo.

I'm not sure if that will be the case, I think the newer generations will be more willing to try themselves overseas... we could be in big trouble.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

ruka looks a dangerous sub

if mabil gets more starts he could be a very dangerous sub too

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

I'll tell you what, the concacaf referees dont like blowing penalties
Will be a big adjustment after asia

maxxie
maxxie
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

grazorblade - 14 Oct 2017 10:05 AM
I'll tell you what, the concacaf referees dont like blowing penalties
Will be a big adjustment after asia

Why would we have concacaf referees?
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Shows how behind we are, we really need to maximise our efforts if we want to qualify for future youth world cups.

Going through Asia has always been tough but the last of years have been concerning on our side, credit to Iran and Iraq for doing well, i saw Japan vs France and even though it finished 2-1 the french outclassed them. 
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

Pasquali - 14 Oct 2017 7:28 AM

You do realise they cant move to Europe untill they turn 18 right? 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

a regular reminder that youth results are deceptive and not indicative of how they will progress to seniors

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

some scouting

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

We've moved up 7 places in the latest rankings to 43. 2nd in Asia. Iran 34 and Japan 44. Recent results boosted us. Flattering and would only really count for something to get into pot 1 at the WC draw. Poland are 6th and will be in pot 1 while England and Spain are likely to be pot 2. I swear WC 06 considered world cup record in creating the pots. It does reward recent success but I feel Italy have a much bigger stature than Poland.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

johnszasz - 16 Oct 2017 11:19 PM
We've moved up 7 places in the latest rankings to 43. 2nd in Asia. Iran 34 and Japan 44. Recent results boosted us. Flattering and would only really count for something to get into pot 1 at the WC draw. Poland are 6th and will be in pot 1 while England and Spain are likely to be pot 2. I swear WC 06 considered world cup record in creating the pots. It does reward recent success but I feel Italy have a much bigger stature than Poland.

If we make it I would want Russia or Poland over the other 6 teams and over Spain and technically England. If we do ever play England I want it to be a knockout game. 

Poland has worked the system that allowed them to. But I thought they are changing somethings for the future?
Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

scott21 - 16 Oct 2017 11:23 PM
johnszasz - 16 Oct 2017 11:19 PM

If we make it I would want Russia or Poland over the other 6 teams and over Spain and technically England. If we do ever play England I want it to be a knockout game. 

Poland has worked the system that allowed them to. But I thought they are changing somethings for the future?

I don't fear Poland. They got smashed in Denmark and were hard to watch at Euro 16. It'd be a great game. I hope we qualify just to see how we'd go. Better to give it a shot than not at all.
playmaker11
playmaker11
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

grazorblade - 14 Oct 2017 11:05 AM

some scouting

Good idea. Here's their last two matches (vuvuzela warning).

By now, American Samoa must have realised that Australias 22-0 win over Tonga two days earlier was no fluke.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

After watching the replay against Syria for a third time, Rogic seems to have perplexingly developed a worse first touch in the last year and lost some skill. His superb ball control seems to have slipped. This is almost unprecedented in a player at his stage of his career.

On the other hand, Matt Leckie has recently improved his technical ability.

The ball doesn't seem to be stuck to Rogic's feet when he launches fast ball carries either. He has lost the ball more frequently in recent times under limited pressure with trampoline first touches in his receiving as he runs hard towards his own goal.

Rogic  is also not receiving with the outside of both feet and turning from back to front and beating his marker and protecting the ball. I'm not sure if there has been a more targeted game plans  of double teaming him, but I'm sure he used to beat  one or two players in succession in the past more frequently.

Now he often loses the ball to the second defender. When he was beating more than one player, huge gaps opened up in attacks in the past.

In Celtic's training, under Rodgers at Liverpool, Victory coach, Kevin fMuscat, said that Rodger's Liverpool and De Boer 's Ajax and MV adopted the same program on the training ground. I've watched MV train and it is very technical. I can't believe that Rogic is struggling to control the ball like he was a year or two ago in international games.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

The Fans - 8 Oct 2017 2:29 PM
Decentric - 8 Oct 2017 2:13 PM

a) it doesn't matter what foot you tackle with, what matters is the effectiveness and judgement. i mean the foot you tackle with is the foot thats there at the time right? you have a certain amount of strides to get there and you tackle with the next foot. If you're going for a tackle and failing its because your judgement is off. 
b) the actual tackling is a very small part of defensive ability for a midfielder, its just the icing on top.

The biggest things defensively for a midfielder are:
1. positioning, usually just simply knowing which player you need to mark and how close are you to the man you need to mark. but also other stuff like how aware you are at cutting out "passing lanes" and how well you use your defensive "shadow" 
2. how fast (consistently) you shut down the player you are supposed to be marking. 

rogic sucks at defending because he's slow and lazy. he's hardly ever close enough to who he's marking and he's very slow to put them under pressure, just jogs up to them.

Two schools of thought there.

Many current Australian younger coaches believe whatever works, works.

However, I've come from a background of explicit instruction in tennis, drumming and modern karate. Minute aspects of technique have made a difference  to power and technique in all three pursuits.

In a sliding tackle it is far better if one moves across the  centre of the pitch to tackle an opponent  ball carrying down the left flank with the right foot and instep coming over  the top of the lower left foot. If there is foot on foot contact with the ball in between both players, the impetus of the sliding tackler provides sufficient  momentum to win the ball.

The inverse also applies when a player in a central position  moves across the pitch to tackle an opponent ball carrying on the right flank. The left foot needs to come over the top of the lower right foot for maximum impact and power.

In the last few minutes of the game against Syria, Degenek, after some superb jockeying footwork, tackled the Syrian opponent in the box. He won the ball with a high probability of mistiming the tackle and conceding a penalty.

To get the extra distance with the last minute left foot lunge he thought he needed to launch  himself with his right foot and tackle with his left. If it the hadn't been centimetre perfect, we would probably have been eliminated.  With  his right to foot  had more margin for error.

If one one stays on ones feet and  side tackles, it often involves a small poke poke to dispossess an opponent without impact.

The block front on tackle also requires both footed tackling to be successful.

Milligan is a very two footed receiver and passer, but is too right foot reliant in tackling and jockeying .

Sometimes  he has an awful looking right foot side lunge when he should front on block tackle with his left foot.

Other times his weighting is too reliant in jockeying at trying to force players onto his right side. He is easier to beat if they  try to evade him on his left side. He is a little off balance.

Rogic and Mooy have both recently executed some superb correct foot slide tackling with the non -preferred foot. Not long ago, Mooy slide tackled off his wrong foot on both sides! Both Rogic and Mooy have good non-prefered feet in receiving  and passing.

I've also been impressed by Zullo and Josh Rose's non-preferred foot slide tackling in the HAL.

All what you suggest about footwork in delaying, showing and jockeying  is true.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

I'd like to see Ange stay on as coach if:

* He would still use a combination of 3-4-3, and the 4-3-3 attacking  and defensive midfield triangles all in the same game. Ange has become intransigent about  using the 3-2-4-1, or more recently the more conventional 3-4-3, all the time.

* I'm perplexed at Ange's double standards with the selection of Smith, who hardly ever plays senior football, Sains who has played little recent club football and the non-selection of Spira who plays a lot of club football at arguably too low a level.

When they've played for the  Socceroos recently, Spira has been far better than Smith. Sains has been selected whilst playing little club football, but he has usually done a good job for the Socceroos. I'd like to see Ange continue to select Sains and Spira, but not Smith who has been clearly superseded by Behich and Gersbach.
Edited
7 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

A few players who could be options for the national team in the future from viewing the HAL this week.

Daniel Da Silva

He is quick off the mark, quick to change direction, passes and moves well in tight spaces and moves well  with the ball at his feet in tight spaces. He is much quicker footed and more nimble  than Rogic or Mooy.

Adam Taggart

Only scored 1 goal this week, but he gets into very good positions to score and anticipates play well.  Taggart has excellent predatory instincts. One issue is that Glory played a lot of direct football this week. He was  sometimes running onto long balls over the top. The national team plays differently.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

The new UEFA nations league appears to have hindered us in getting UEFA opponents for friendlies. Not exactly a priority at the moment but something to consider in the future. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Saudi lost 3:0 at home to Ghana in Oktober and beat Latvia 2:0 today. 
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

johnszasz - 8 Nov 2017 7:58 AM
The new UEFA nations league appears to have hindered us in getting UEFA opponents for friendlies. Not exactly a priority at the moment but something to consider in the future. 

AFC + CONCACAF should make a joint league.. everyone normally in the US that time of year anyways.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Serbia strolled to a 2:0 win in China. Japan lost 3:1 to Brazil but had a better second half. Iran saw off Panama 2:1 with a classy second goal.

Sigh,  I wish we were playing in London tonight instead. 
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Anyone know a reliable stream that will be showing the match tonight for certain?
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

jas88 - 8 Nov 2017 9:17 AM
johnszasz - 8 Nov 2017 7:58 AM

AFC + CONCACAF should make a joint league.. everyone normally in the US that time of year anyways.

not a bad idea

alternatively it would be nice to have turkey/israel/russia in our confed
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search