The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

Author
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Bunch of Hacks - 22 Aug 2018 10:15 PM
chondro - 22 Aug 2018 10:05 PM

Lol Abysmal 

hehe on top of that, it should be the best position on the ground to play in (realistically?)

I mean who doesn't mind putting a shoe through it .. it is unbelievably baffling

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
I'm looking forward to  the Arnie tenure.

I've read quite a bit of literature about Oz Football. In Robbie Slater's book, The Hard Way, Arnie and Slater were team jokers and pranksters with the Socceroos. They were always up to mischief.

Ange was very intense. I think Arnie is more relaxed and renowned as a good manager by players under his tutelage.

I'm pretty positive about coaches since Guus.

Arnie - struggled, but knows what to do now with his apprenticeship under Pim and club coaching.

Pim - safe pair of hands  at the wheel.

Holger - probably our worst period. We went backwards.

Ange - had done a good job, until he became inflexible with three and the back and walked out prematurely.

Bert - a candidate for our best ever coach.

Arnie - I think he will do well. His Olyroos gig will augment the senior role.

I had grave concerns about Arnie a few years ago when he castigated FFA for overlooking athleticism in national youth teams.

Given his current comments when he lauded the current national under 17s for their technicality, the future looks good. Our Asian opposition  has improved immeasurably though.
Edited
6 Years Ago by Decentric
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Decentric - 30 Aug 2018 2:27 PM
I'm looking forward to Arnie the tenure.

I've read quite a bit of literature about Oz Football. In Robbie Slater's book, The Hard Way, Arnie and Slater were team jokers and pranksters with the Socceroos. They were always up to mischief.

Ange was very intense. I think Arnie is more relaxed and renowned as a good manager by players under his tutelage.

I'm pretty positive about coaches since Guus.

Arnie - struggled, but knows what to do now with his apprenticeship under Pim and club coaching.

Pim - safe pair of hands  at the wheel.

Holger - probably our worst period. We went backwards.

Ange - had done a good job, until he became inflexible with three and the back and walked out prematurely.

Arnie - I think he will do well. His Olyroos gig will augment the senior role.

I had grave concerns about Arnie a few years ago when he castigated FFA for overlooking athleticism in national youth teams.

Given his current comments when he lauded the current national under 17s for their technicality, the future looks good. Our Asian opposition  has improved immeasurably though.

I thought he did a good job at the world cup considering but calm down with that. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

City Sam - 30 Aug 2018 2:41 PM

I thought he did a good job at the world cup considering but calm down with that. 

I'm with him actually

with every other coach we have to either play possession football or have an organized defence. He was capable of doing both effectively given the personal he had and I'm not talking about a compromise either he added value to all aspects of the game. Oddly enough a -3 GD is what I would have expected with Ange so maybe he was unlucky or maybe he didn't have enough time with the team
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

grazorblade - 30 Aug 2018 2:50 PM

I'm with him actually

with every other coach we have to either play possession football or have an organized defence. He was capable of doing both effectively given the personal he had and I'm not talking about a compromise either he added value to all aspects of the game. Oddly enough a -3 GD is what I would have expected with Ange so maybe he was unlucky or maybe he didn't have enough time with the team

He had 3 competitive games for 1 point. You can't be calling him our best coach ever after that, so as i said calm down with the overreactions. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)

BVM got our defence in brillant shape. If only he could've hung around to see if cracks started to show after another few years in the job. 
Tbone
Tbone
Hacker
Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)

Heard Petratos is out of the Socceroos camp with an ankle injury!
Who do you think will replace him?
What attacking players that where left out stiff not to get a look?

Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

BVM did absolutely nothing for us. His tenure was an abysmal disappointment, and I think we actually went backwards. Still, it worked out. Van Bommel was there with him and has helped us since by taking a couple of players to PSV. 
Dan_The_Red
Dan_The_Red
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Lolz anything but BVM defence first approach at the World Cup would’ve seen us embarrassed. Not sure what you expect from a coach who had 4 1/2 months to fix problems Ange had years to resolve.
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Tbone - 4 Sep 2018 7:43 PM
Heard Petratos is out of the Socceroos camp with an ankle injury!Who do you think will replace him? What attacking players that where left out stiff not to get a look?

Somewhere I read Karacic, which would be great, as he deserves another look in.
Neanderthal
Neanderthal
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

BVM did absolutely nothing for us. His tenure was an abysmal disappointment, and I think we actually went backwards. Still, it worked out. Van Bommel was there with him and has helped us since by taking a couple of players to PSV.

I don’t know how you quantify an opinion like this.
We went from barely scraping past ACL qualification to holding our own against France.
Anyone who knows anything about football will tell you we played brilliantly at the World Cup, but just lacked goalscorers.
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Neanderthal - 4 Sep 2018 10:39 PM
I don’t know how you quantify an opinion like this.We went from barely scraping past ACL qualification to holding our own against France.Anyone who knows anything about football will tell you we played brilliantly at the World Cup, but just lacked goalscorers.

Yup. 

v Denmark we had 14 shots (5 on goal), Denmark had 10(5).

v Peru we had 14 shots (2 on goal), Peru had 4(3). 

We created chances but just couldn't finish...
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Burztur - 5 Sep 2018 8:39 AM

Yup. 

v Denmark we had 14 shots (5 on goal), Denmark had 10(5).

v Peru we had 14 shots (2 on goal), Peru had 4(3). 

We created chances but just couldn't finish...

I'd call it a systematic failure of Australian football development in general that over the past decade we've relied on Tim Cahill to save our bacon.  I don't see how that is BVM's doing.  I'm with other people in thinking that he's probably one of the very few coaches to intrinsically understand the players in front of him.  Let's see how Arnie goes with this.   
Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

ErogenousZone - 5 Sep 2018 10:11 AM
Burztur - 5 Sep 2018 8:39 AM

I'd call it a systematic failure of Australian football development in general that over the past decade we've relied on Tim Cahill to save our bacon.  I don't see how that is BVM's doing.  I'm with other people in thinking that he's probably one of the very few coaches to intrinsically understand the players in front of him.  Let's see how Arnie goes with this.   

In his post-match interviews he seemed genuinely surprised at just how poor our finishing was.  I don't think he's coached a team that could create so many opportunities and yet consistently fail to take any of them. 
Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

I don’t know how you quantify an opinion like this.We went from barely scraping past ACL qualification to holding our own against France.Anyone who knows anything about football will tell you we played brilliantly at the World Cup, but just lacked goalscorers.

I've already explained it many times. We weren't anywhere close to brilliant. I knew we'd be competitive, so the fact that we didn't lose the games by 4-0 failed to impress me as much as it did many of you. I mean, when did we lose 4-0 in a serious game under Ange? I have no idea why people were expecting us to be humiliated at the wc. We were never that bad. So I was hoping for positive play and could see us getting out of the group.

As it turned out, the play was quite conservative and risk-averse, and the results were disappointing. Coach's tactics were unimaginative and at times downright cowardly, and his game and squad management was poor (not rotating so that the team was completely exhausted by the last game, nonsensical substitutions, a directive to STOP attacking in the last 10 minutes against Denmark when we had them on the ropes, failure to bring on Timmy when the crosses were flying in in the last 20 minutes of that crucial game, not giving Luongo a chance at all, his loser comments like 'normally we lose to France 9 times out of 10', etc.). I really have no idea what BvM is being praised for exactly. He did nothing for us. Definitely nothing good. 

And people really need to stop talking like the qualifiers were somehow an unmitigated disaster for us. We got 19 points and only lost to Japan in Japan. That's actually pretty good. That would have qualified us directly in any other wc cycle. It was just a freak event that Saudi kept picking up points. 

Edited
6 Years Ago by Derider
Derider
Derider
Pro

What a crock of shit. Hey decentric, you are literally (but actually figuratively) a crocodile of poo! Wat do u say 2 dat, crocodile?

Of poo.
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Derider - 5 Sep 2018 2:55 PM

What a crock of shit. Hey decentric, you are literally (but actually figuratively) a crocodile of poo! Wat do u say 2 dat, crocodile?

Of poo.

Image result for university challenge animated gif

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

Derider
Derider
Pro

Buggalugs 2.0 - 5 Sep 2018 3:05 PM
Derider - 5 Sep 2018 2:55 PM

Image result for university challenge animated gif

Are you thirsty? 
Lurker
Lurker
Rising Star
Rising Star (836 reputation)Rising Star (836 reputation)Rising Star (836 reputation)Rising Star (836 reputation)Rising Star (836 reputation)Rising Star (836 reputation)Rising Star (836 reputation)Rising Star (836 reputation)Rising Star (836 reputation)Rising Star (836 reputation)Rising Star (836 reputation)

Derider - 5 Sep 2018 3:15 PM
Buggalugs 2.0 - 5 Sep 2018 3:05 PM

Are you thirsty? 

Is your name Richard Cranium?

Oh sorry I mistook you for Gazprom 2.0

Edited
6 Years Ago by Lurker
Derider
Derider
Pro

Seriously though, I just like the phrase 'crock of shit', and the only way to work it into a comment was to reply to a decentric post. I'm still not sure what a 'crock' is though. I keep imagining crocodiles made of poo. 

Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

Derider - 5 Sep 2018 3:23 PM
Seriously though, I just like the phrase 'crock of shit', and the only way to work it into a comment was to reply to a decentric post. I'm still not sure what a 'crock' is though. I keep imagining crocodiles made of poo. 

A crock is a pottery container sometimes used for food and water, and sometimes shit, apparently.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)

Lebanon beat Jordan 1:0 in a friendly. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

2:0 for Trinidad and Tobago over UAE. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Barely anyone seems available for the October window. We can't wait until November for our first games.

Peru have organised Netherlands and Germany this window. Why the hell is the FFA so poorly organised with scheduling matches? 
Paul01
Paul01
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

johnszasz - 7 Sep 2018 4:00 AM
Barely anyone seems available for the October window. We can't wait until November for our first games.

Peru have organised Netherlands and Germany this window. Why the hell is the FFA so poorly organised with scheduling matches? 

Focused on inhouse politics with the Congress.
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro

Paul01 - 7 Sep 2018 6:36 AM

Focused on inhouse politics with the Congress.

There is an Asian Cup coming up in January.  Much like the World Cup recently in which the FFA took 50 staff members for some reason along this upcoming junket won't organise itself! 
Boonjeh
Boonjeh
Hacker
Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)

Just putting it out there, Souttar made his debut for Scotland in the nations league against Belgium last night. Even though it’s a glorified friendly, I think that pretty much cements him in Scotland’s plans for the future.
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

ange's first 2 years 

highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

You really expect FFA to do the actual fucking job of managing a NT?

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Derider - 5 Sep 2018 11:28 AM

As it turned out, the play was quite conservative and risk-averse, and the results were disappointing. Coach's tactics were unimaginative and at times downright cowardly, and his game and squad management was poor (not rotating so that the team was completely exhausted by the last game, nonsensical substitutions, a directive to STOP attacking in the last 10 minutes against Denmark when we had them on the ropes, failure to bring on Timmy when the crosses were flying in in the last 20 minutes of that crucial game, not giving Luongo a chance at all, his loser comments like 'normally we lose to France 9 times out of 10', etc.). I really have no idea what BvM is being praised for exactly. He did nothing for us. Definitely nothing good. 

You must be in the mix to be one of Arnie's assistant coaches, Derider. 

He could do with someone with your knowledge of international football in the dug out.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search