The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

Author
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
zord - 17 Jun 2019 2:29 PM
johnszasz - 17 Jun 2019 10:20 AM

I think Qatar has somehow all of a sudden left us for dead. They're getting great results on a consistent basis and we are now rubbish now that Cahill is gone and can't score. 

Who remembers our first WCQ match under pim against Qatar at docklands stadium where we blew them away and were 3-0 up at halftime. I even remember Fozzie saying they were rubbish and were Oceania standard! Lol

Oh dear, who could have envisioned this 11 years later. What are we now pot 2 Asia standard?

Suppose it helps when millions upon millions of dollars are poured into the sport, with the promise of hosting a WC at the end of the rainbow too. Qatar definitely looking a great Asian team now, and their second goal against Paraguay showed great one touch passing and off the ball movement (very high quality goal). 
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Asian Qualifiers draw to provide pathway to Qatar and China
Monday, June 17, 2019

Kuala Lumpur: The Asian Qualifiers draw for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Preliminary Competition and AFC Asian Cup China 2023 will be held on July 17, 2019 at the AFC House in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia – providing Asia’s top 40 nations with their pathway to glory.
The seedings for the draw will be based on the latest FIFA Rankings issued on June 14, 2019 and following the conclusion of the Preliminary Joint Qualification Round 1 where Bangladesh, Cambodia, Guam, Malaysia and Mongolia - advanced to Round 2.
The decision on the outcome of the match between Macau and Sri Lanka is still pending.

The 40 nations will be drawn into eight groups of five teams and compete in a double round robin format, with matches to be held from September 5, 2019 to June 9, 2020. Following the June 14, 2019 FIFA World Ranking, the five pots of the eight teams are as follows:

Pot 1: Islamic Republic of Iran, Japan, Korea Republic, Australia, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, China PR
Pot 2: Iraq, Uzbekistan, Syria, Oman, Lebanon, Kyrgyz Republic, Vietnam, Jordan
Pot 3: Palestine, India, Bahrain, Thailand, Tajikistan, DPR Korea, Chinese Taipei, Philippines
Pot 4: Turkmenistan, Myanmar, Hong Kong, Yemen, Afghanistan, Maldives, Kuwait, Malaysia
Pot 5: Indonesia, Singapore, Nepal, Cambodia, Bangladesh, Mongolia, Guam, Macau/Sri Lanka

The group winners and four best runners-up (total 12 teams) will advance to the AFC Asian Cup China 2023 finals and the final round of qualifying for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022.

The next best 24 teams from the preliminary stage of the joint qualifiers will compete in a separate competition for the remaining slots in the 24-team AFC Asian Cup China 2023.

http://www.the-afc.com/asiancup/news/asian-qualifiers-draw-to-provide-pathway-to-qatar-and-china

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Lock in Iraq/Jordan, Bahrain, Kuwait and Indonesia, for sure.
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

paladisious - 17 Jun 2019 8:21 PM
Lock in Iraq/Jordan, Bahrain, Kuwait and Indonesia, for sure.

I want to see us play a qualifier out of the Maldives. 
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Burztur - 17 Jun 2019 10:25 PM
paladisious - 17 Jun 2019 8:21 PM

I want to see us play a qualifier out of the Maldives. 

Definitely a better option out of Pot 4 than Kuwait lol

Malaysia, Hong Kong (despite their troubles) and Myanmar are the preferences in terms of ease of access, aside from Kuwait the less preferable options are Turkmenistan, Yemen (who'll probably continue playing in Qatar) and Afghanistan (who played their last qualifiers in Tajikistan).

Edited
5 Years Ago by paladisious
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Only one East zone team in Pot 2 being Vietnam, who we've never even played before at senior men's level and would be a terrific away trip.

We'll probably get Jordan and be their bitches, once again.
Edited
5 Years Ago by paladisious
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

paladisious - 18 Jun 2019 12:49 AM
Only one East zone team in Pot 2 being Vietnam, who we've never even played before at senior men's level and would be a terrific away trip.

That'd be amazing!
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

walnuts - 18 Jun 2019 7:38 AM
paladisious - 18 Jun 2019 12:49 AM

That'd be amazing!

Vietnam would be fantastic.

omg! The quotes work!
Paul01
Paul01
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

johnszasz - 17 Jun 2019 10:20 AM

I think Qatar has somehow all of a sudden left us for dead. They're getting great results on a consistent basis and we are now rubbish now that Cahill is gone and can't score. 

Who remembers our first WCQ match under pim against Qatar at docklands stadium where we blew them away and were 3-0 up at halftime. I even remember Fozzie saying they were rubbish and were Oceania standard! Lol

Oh dear, who could have envisioned this 11 years later. What are we now pot 2 Asia standard?

Gallop + Lowys to blame mostly or failing to develop youth national teams and  the PFA for getting Socceroos to be overpaid 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Japan vs Chile in 15min. A near Olympic team look for Japan at this tournament. They're regenerating correctly. 
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

johnszasz - 18 Jun 2019 8:47 AM
Japan vs Chile in 15min. A near Olympic team look for Japan at this tournament. They're regenerating correctly. 

Cheers for the heads up - time to put one of my monitors at work to good use
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

reckon sam kerr can play for the matildas and the socceroos??

RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Paul01 - 18 Jun 2019 8:04 AM

Gallop + Lowys to blame mostly or failing to develop youth national teams and  the PFA for getting Socceroos to be overpaid 

You cant really blame them for Qatar though. Qatar have lofty goals of being the best team in Asia by the time they host the world cup and making a deep run.The type of investment theyve been putting in for many years would be more than most teams. It only makes sense that theyd start bearing the fruits of their investment. 

ARNIE= LEGEND

zord
zord
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)

RedKat - 19 Jun 2019 11:03 AM
Paul01 - 18 Jun 2019 8:04 AM

You cant really blame them for Qatar though. Qatar have lofty goals of being the best team in Asia by the time they host the world cup and making a deep run.The type of investment theyve been putting in for many years would be more than most teams. It only makes sense that theyd start bearing the fruits of their investment. 

I still think Qatari players are still at a great disadvantage playing in the Qatari league ( which they all are) and living in such extreme heat conditions

Playing in a proper European league is worth more than what their money can buy
maxxie
maxxie
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

zord - 19 Jun 2019 2:18 PM
RedKat - 19 Jun 2019 11:03 AM

I still think Qatari players are still at a great disadvantage playing in the Qatari league ( which they all are) and living in such extreme heat conditions

Playing in a proper European league is worth more than what their money can buy

Not to mention how few games they play. Only a 22 game season.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Not long until the draw now. I enjoyed the separate travel thread last time around with all the planning, stories and reports from the away trips. 
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

any idea why google sometimes shows the NT fixtures and sometimes does not?  the ffa webpage is fkn useless. 

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

We've got plenty of creative types now. Ikon, Arzani, Rogic and now Hrustic is a positive option with what I've seen today.

I'd rather bring Hrustic at the death than Maclaren or Juric. We've also got Mabil, Leckie, Borrello and Boyle.

I'm glad Arnold rotated in June. O'Neill and Jeggo were impressive and every spot is being hotly contended. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Will Arzani be ready for the September qualifiers? I doubt it. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

The start of the season will be decisive in selection for the first qualifiers. I don't think there'll be too many surprises. I expect Amini to retain his squad spot. He and Jeggo are doing everything right despite the former not performing so well for the national team.

Most important is that Taggart gets exposure to the set up. 
Pasquali
Pasquali
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

johnszasz - 21 Jul 2019 12:43 AM
I wouldn't mind if he were more cautious considering the injury he has had.
johnszasz - 21 Jul 2019 12:45 AM
The start of the season will be decisive in selection for the first qualifiers. I don't think there'll be too many surprises. I expect Amini to retain his squad spot. He and Jeggo are doing everything right despite the former not performing so well for the national team.

Most important is that Taggart gets exposure to the set up. 

Isaias? 
chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

My Socceroo squad atm.

Ryan, Vukovic, Redmayne
Sainsbury, Degenek, CB, CB, Grant, Behich, LB
Mooy, Irvine, Jeggo, Oneill, Amini, Rogic, Mcgree
Leckie, Ikonomidis, W, Boyle, Taggart, Duke

Who to choose?
CB-(Williams, Spiranovic, Susnajr or Dellbridge)
LB-(Gersbach, Smith or Zullo)
W-(Mabil, Arzani or Goodwin)

Missing out this time... reserves...
Langerak
Wright
Jurman
Deng
Dougall
Luongo
Hrustic
Nabbout
Maclaren
Edited
5 Years Ago by chondro
Glh37
Glh37
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

With Australia's first 4 games in September, October and November it would be good if Arzani can be coming off the bench at some stage.

Obviously longer term is the critical thing and provided that he can be fit and firing at club level he may be available for more minutes in the March and June qualifiers.
Ameryn74
Ameryn74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)

We've got plenty of creative types now. Ikon, Arzani, Rogic and now Hrustic is a positive option with what I've seen today.

I'd rather bring Hrustic at the death than Maclaren or Juric. We've also got Mabil, Leckie, Borrello and Boyle.

I'm glad Arnold rotated in June. O'Neill and Jeggo were impressive and every spot is being hotly contended. 

In my opinion MacLaren was the main problem at the Asian Cup. I realise we didn't have many alternatives at the time but we should learn the lesson from that experience and not select him anymore. I think he would have two have a couple of exceptional seasons at club level before he is even considered again. Seeing we have a relatively smooth draw in the first phase of WC Qualification I hope Arnie uses this period to be a little experimental in trying different offensive combinations. I mostly would like to see how Leckie goes as a striker.

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

He would lack serious match fitness so I would doubt Arnie would take that risk with him.

He’s better off going out on loan as I don’t Celtic would be using him at this stage.

Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

I'd rather bring Hrustic at the death than Maclaren or Juric.

What can you tell us about Hrustic? I had the impression he was a winger turned into a DM.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Aljay - 21 Jul 2019 10:18 PM

What can you tell us about Hrustic? I had the impression he was a winger turned into a DM.

He plays on the wing and gets a bit of free to come central in transition play and plays some good through balls. He's got decent vision and a good first touch. 
Paul01
Paul01
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Barca4Life - 21 Jul 2019 7:28 PM

He would lack serious match fitness so I would doubt Arnie would take that risk with him.

He’s better off going out on loan as I don’t Celtic would be using him at this stage.

Arzani is already on loan to Celtic from Manchester city 
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

you can go on a loan while on a loan? why he even there if not in Celtic plans?
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend

jas88 - 22 Jul 2019 9:08 AM

you can go on a loan while on a loan? why he even there if not in Celtic plans?

he's been injured

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search