The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

Author
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
So if I understand correctly all those players will be in the chat at once? Talk about lots of opinions. Should be interesting. I wonder if Grella has much to say. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Brilliant behind the scenes footage of the Honduras games from the MLS channel. I think I already posted the away leg but here it is again. Home leg second link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bs2rP1877M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbSZ23VPP68

Edited
4 Years Ago by johnszasz
Glh37
Glh37
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

The Socceroos were due to play Taiwan in a WCQ tonight to kick off a month with 7 scheduled matches including the COPA group stage.

Hopefully the players continue to return to club action soon and we can start to look forward to getting our side back on the field later in 2020.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

https://www.socceroos.com.au/news/graham-arnolds-squad-update-whats-next-socceroos
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Wonder what his ‘unbelievable plan’ was?!
NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Balin Trev - 5 Jun 2020 7:53 PM

Wonder what his ‘unbelievable plan’ was?!

Usually it's Matt Simon
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

https://www.gulftoday.ae/sport/2020/06/03/uae-to-resume-world-cup-qualifiers-campaign-on-oct8
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

We're in a brilliant position and need to wrap up this round of qualifying. UAE to resume on October 8 so it appears it'll be back on.

Iran are one who are in a big hole so the AFC has a lot of very important matches to come. 
Glh37
Glh37
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

johnszasz - 5 Jun 2020 9:44 PM
We're in a brilliant position and need to wrap up this round of qualifying. UAE to resume on October 8 so it appears it'll be back on.

Iran are one who are in a big hole so the AFC has a lot of very important matches to come. 

Big news, hopefully the AFC make this official soon if it is happening that quickly.

I assume that countries with severe outbreaks and/or rigid lockdowns in place won't host home games.

Even if this stage is completed by November there may be changes to the format for the latter stages - hopefully still with 12 teams as the current stage has some interesting groups to play out under the existing format. 

If the current format is used then there may be a need to push back intercontinental qualifiers to June 2022.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

One concern is that Kuwait and Jordan have been training and playing a lot in their homeland and could be much sharper compared to a lot of our players. Despite that many of our players will have played some football come October. 
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

johnszasz - 5 Jun 2020 9:44 PM

Thanks for info john 👍 
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Looking forward to hearing when our matches are. I've only got a few more days to reschedule those Copa America flights.
Edited
4 Years Ago by paladisious
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

paladisious - 5 Jun 2020 11:37 PM
Looking forward to hearing when our matches are. I've only got a few more days to reschedule those Copa America flights.

That'll give you some insight. Qatar's participation should work in our favour that the AFC wouldn't want to hinder their spot. 
Glh37
Glh37
Semi-Pro

johnszasz - 6 Jun 2020 12:20 AM

That'll give you some insight. Qatar's participation should work in our favour that the AFC wouldn't want to hinder their spot. 

I think that Qatar will be playing in the 3rd round of Asian Cup Qualification while Australia should be in the 3rd round of WCQ in June 2021, ie different comps with different match day schedules.

If FIFA approves the AFC WCQ restart in October then as long as the AFC don’t try to squeeze in 4 WCQs in the June 2021 window (IMO very unlikely) in the next stage then the Aussies should be able to play in the 2021 Copa following a couple of WCQs as leading games as was going to be the case in 2020.

Glh37
Glh37
Semi-Pro

Pala - the original schedule for WCQ had a single WCQ on the last day of the June 2021 window (June 8). If the AFC hold 2 matches in the window instead they would most likely be June 3 and June 8 as the window is May 31 to June 8. If they only hold 1 match the Aussies may to move their match up in the window to help logistics wise.

Who knows if those dates change due to impacts of Coronavirus on 2020-21 league scheduling. I reckon if you fly out as late as possible prior to the Copa that should cover     most scenarios.

City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Supposed dates as below.

AUS v Kuwait (H)  8th October

AUS v Nepal (A)  13th October

AUS v Jordan (H)  17th November

AUS v Chinese Taipei (H)  12th November

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Glh37 - 6 Jun 2020 5:23 PM
johnszasz - 6 Jun 2020 12:20 AM

I think that Qatar will be playing in the 3rd round of Asian Cup Qualification while Australia should be in the 3rd round of WCQ in June 2021, ie different comps with different match day schedules.

If FIFA approves the AFC WCQ restart in October then as long as the AFC don’t try to squeeze in 4 WCQs in the June 2021 window (IMO very unlikely) in the next stage then the Aussies should be able to play in the 2021 Copa following a couple of WCQs as leading games as was going to be the case in 2020.

Interesting point. Just looking it up. So we assume Qatar will be Asian Cup 3rd round regardless and they've already got the WC spot sorted and won't play into round 3. So they'll help stock up the numbers for Asian Cup qualifying? They don't even qualify despite being champion. Maybe that has changed.

Should Qatar win Group E or be among the four best runners-up, they will advance to 2023 AFC Asian Cup only. The fifth best runner-up will take Qatar's place in the World Cup qualifying third round.

quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

I wouldn't bank on the travel ban not applying to the Americas well into 2021, at this stage.

Not unless a vaccine is made and mass-produced or very effective antiviral treatment(s) is/are found (for both mild and critical COVID patients).

Right now, there's an outright travel ban and you need an exemption to leave Australia. There are plenty of people who are being asked to supply the Australian Border Force with ''more information'' or ''more evidence'' despite citing really important personal reasons for leaving. While this travel ban probably won't apply to every overseas country next year... given the state that the United States, Brazil, Colombia and a bunch of other American countries are in, the outlook is bleak for  the Department of Home Affairs and the ABF allowing travel to those parts of the world, especially with a view to going to a football tournament.
Edited
4 Years Ago by quickflick
NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

johnszasz - 6 Jun 2020 5:54 PM
Glh37 - 6 Jun 2020 5:23 PM

Interesting point. Just looking it up. So we assume Qatar will be Asian Cup 3rd round regardless and they've already got the WC spot sorted and won't play into round 3. So they'll help stock up the numbers for Asian Cup qualifying? They don't even qualify despite being champion. Maybe that has changed.

Should Qatar win Group E or be among the four best runners-up, they will advance to 2023 AFC Asian Cup only. The fifth best runner-up will take Qatar's place in the World Cup qualifying third round.

That's what I was looking at.

They did change the automatic qualifiers, because it used to be the semi-finalists would automatically qualify. The interesting point is what you mentioned: They are already hosting the World Cup (which the qualifiers double for WC and Asian Cup). So, assuming they win, they qualify for the World Cup, and then yes, I believe instead of 4 best runner ups in 3rd round, it will be 5.
The other point is, China is hosting the Asian Cup, and this is listed on Wiki for qualification re: China

A total of 24 teams will compete in the third round of AFC Asian Cup qualifiers. The number of remaining Asian Cup final slots available for the third round of the qualifiers will differ according to the following: If the 2023 hosts China advance to the third round of the 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifiers, the automatic slot for the hosts will no longer be necessary, and a total of 12 slots for the Asian Cup will be available from this round. However, if they do not advance, a total of 11 slots will be available, as the hosts qualify automatically for the Asian Cup.

And then yes, before I posted, I went and found the exact quote you used word for word from the AFC, so everyone would just get bunched up. What that means is Qatar should still be able to go to Copa, because they will have qualified for the Asian Cup by winning their group (and even runner up most likely will see them qualify for the Asian Cup too), and won't need to partake in the third WCQ round
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

#AsianQualifiers Matchdays 7 and 8 scheduled to take place on October 8 and 13, 2020 respectively while Matchdays 9 and 10 are due to kick off on November 12 and 17, 2020!
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Glad that's sorted by the end of the year. Interesting point we'll be playing Jordan in warmer weather than the typical June.

So it's Kuwait H and Nepal A then Taiwan H and Jordan H
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Hell yeah. Stoked to have a confirmed date to look forward to 💪 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

I can see Davidson re-entering the Roos frame if he keeps it up. Behich is part of the leadership group but must move in summer.
Footballfirst
Footballfirst
Hacker
Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)

johnszasz - 13 Jun 2020 7:25 PM
I can see Davidson re-entering the Roos frame if he keeps it up. Behich is part of the leadership group but must move in summer.

100% agree.
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

johnszasz - 13 Jun 2020 7:25 PM

A good option - but not in a back four. He doesn't know how an offside trap works.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

With all these Facebook posts on the Socceroos world cup moments I've been looking at the line ups. It never occurred to me that Grella's last world cup game was against Germany. What a massive shame and definitely seems like some punishment. I remember post game where he said 'nobody died.'

Admittedly Culina was good and Valeri seemed to improve but I'd need to look closer. We were particularly sharper with Carney and Beauchamp I found. 
Glh37
Glh37
Semi-Pro

There are a few unofficial reports around that the 2022 inter confederation playoffs have been pushed back to June 2022.

This would mean the next round of Asian qualifiers can run as 5 sets of double WCQ match days from March to November 2021, including 2 in June 2021 prior to the Copa, with the Asian playoffs in March 2022.

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Glh37 - 1 Jul 2020 8:09 AM
There are a few unofficial reports around that the 2022 inter confederation playoffs have been pushed back to June 2022.

This would mean the next round of Asian qualifiers can run as 5 sets of double WCQ match days from March to November 2021, including 2 in June 2021 prior to the Copa, with the Asian playoffs in March 2022.

Whatever doesn't give FFA an excuse to cancel on the Copa I'm all for.
Glh37
Glh37
Semi-Pro

paladisious - 1 Jul 2020 9:06 AM
Glh37 - 1 Jul 2020 8:09 AM

Whatever doesn't give FFA an excuse to cancel on the Copa I'm all for.

It should be effectively no different to 2020, and was the most likely outcome but is not yet official.

The main risk for the Socceroos would be health/COVID but with the likelihood of us playing 3 away WCQ before then provided Australia qualifies for the next stage I expect it would have to be pretty bad in Argentina or Colombia for us not to go.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Glh37 - 1 Jul 2020 10:54 AM
paladisious - 1 Jul 2020 9:06 AM

It should be effectively no different to 2020, and was the most likely outcome but is not yet official.

The main risk for the Socceroos would be health/COVID but with the likelihood of us playing 3 away WCQ before then provided Australia qualifies for the next stage I expect it would have to be pretty bad in Argentina or Colombia for us not to go.

It's not implausible that a vaccine will be available by June 2021, that's my main hope.

Edited
4 Years Ago by paladisious
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search