Ange Out

Ange Out

Author
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
inala brah - 24 Mar 2017 6:01 PM
libel - 24 Mar 2017 5:57 PM

holger is possibly the worst coach to step on australian soil

He was fine.  He got the job done which is what he was paid to do.

He is seen as a failure, and probably rightly so, because he didn't blood any youngsters.

Having said that I'm glad he is gone.

Member since 2008.

Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

I guess the angst at our performance against Iraq and the UAE should be compared to the Victory's game against Brisbane on the weekend. We (Australia) picked up 4 points against tough opposition in a style which most of the players were not used to. We did it under tremendous pressure from Iraq in the latter parts of that game. Yet there were minimal shots on target from our opponents. Australia did both games without our most inventive player (Rogic) who would have provided a different dimension to our play. The second game also saw us without Mooy who has been on fire this season.

Compare that with the accolades which have been swooned on Muscat and the Victory for losing against a bruised and battered Brisbane team that was missing as many key players as Victory were, and lost 2 key players through injury during the game. I would hazard a guess that the fact that 47 of 48 goals have come directly or indirectly through 3 players who you knew would probably be absent together during the season suggests recruitment has not been one of the successes of Victory's management this season.

We should be giving the Australian team and coach the accolades for getting us to a position where a team of plodders have carried the flag to a place where we haven't lost a game and should qualify for the next world cup.
Rimbaud
Rimbaud
Amateur
Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)

rusty - 29 Mar 2017 10:14 AM
People need to understand that competitive football is swings and roundabouts.  One year you win the premier league, the next you're battling relegation.  One year you win the Asia cup, the next you're fighting to make it to the World Cup.  We should never just expect to qualify for the world cup based on historical performance, the reality is the competition is tougher and we're not as good as we used to be.

There's no comparison between Verbeek and Ange.  Verbeek had better players, EPL players, Ange squad near resembles New Zealands, just one player playing regularly in a top league.  The Socceroos have undergone a gradual decline since 2006 and if it culminates in failing to make the WC, then we need to look at factors other than just blaming the coach.

Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 29 Mar 2017 4:09 PM
I'm a bit lost here.  

In this thread I've read we were playing a 3-4-3, a 3-2-2-2-1 and a 3-6-1.  On other threads blokes have thrown up other formations.

Does anyone actually have a clue or is everyone just guessing?

PS With regards to the other stuff and for brevity (and to save rehashing arguments) I agree with everything Enzo has said.

vs iraq it was effectively 

2 2 3 3

vs UAE it was more of a 

3 2 4 1  or  3 4 2 1

Edited
7 Years Ago by inala brah
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Footballking55 - 29 Mar 2017 4:26 PM
I guess the angst at our performance against Iraq and the UAE should be compared to the Victory's game against Brisbane on the weekend. We (Australia) picked up 4 points against tough opposition in a style which most of the players were not used to. We did it under tremendous pressure from Iraq in the latter parts of that game. Yet there were minimal shots on target from our opponents. Australia did both games without our most inventive player (Rogic) who would have provided a different dimension to our play. The second game also saw us without Mooy who has been on fire this season.

Compare that with the accolades which have been swooned on Muscat and the Victory for losing against a bruised and battered Brisbane team that was missing as many key players as Victory were, and lost 2 key players through injury during the game. I would hazard a guess that the fact that 47 of 48 goals have come directly or indirectly through 3 players who you knew would probably be absent together during the season suggests recruitment has not been one of the successes of Victory's management this season.

We should be giving the Australian team and coach the accolades for getting us to a position where a team of plodders have carried the flag to a place where we haven't lost a game and should qualify for the next world cup.

Yeah bringing back Troisi and Rojas was a deadset recruitment failure. Nothing at all to do with the salary cap/squad size limit.

FMD some people here are deadset retarded.  No other way to explain it.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

inala brah - 29 Mar 2017 5:04 PM
Munrubenmuz - 29 Mar 2017 4:09 PM

vs iraq it was effectively 

2 2 3 3

vs UAE it was more of a 

3 2 4 1  or  3 4 2 1

Or 3-6-1 or a 3-4-3 or a 4-3-3 or a 3-2-2-2-1 according to some.

I'm not having a go at you IB but that's 7 sets of formations thrown up.

Clearly some haven't a clue or are guessing.

Member since 2008.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search