Young Aussie striker Ajdin Hrustic making waves in Europe with new Dutch club Groningen

Young Aussie striker Ajdin Hrustic making waves in Europe with new...

Author
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Young Aussie striker Ajdin Hrustic making waves in Europe with new Dutch club Groningen

DANDENONG boy Ajdin Hrustic has revealed that his “step down” has paid off after making a successful Dutch top flight debut on Sunday.

Attacker Hrustic, 20, came on in the last 20 minutes of Groningen’s 0-0 draw at AZ Alkmaar after eight games as an unused substitute.

Hrustic played for the Under 17 and 19 sides of German giants Schalke, but at just 17 felt it was time for a new home.

He sensed greater opportunities at a Groningen club noted for its development, having handed senior debuts to Dutch internationals Arjen Robben and Virgil van Dijk and Luis Suarez.

Ajdin Hrustic training with Groningen.

“I saw that Schalke wasn’t going to happen. You get a feeling, you know if you’re close or not and while I didn’t feel like I wasn’t good enough, the staff and everyone has to agree,’’ Hrustic said.

“I didn’t want to waste any more time. You make mistakes, you learn and sometimes you have to take a step down to take two steps forward and it’s paid off.’’

Hrustic, who revealed that the Bosnian federation was still courting him, played for the Australian development squad last week in Spain.

A left-footed attacker with an x-factor, Hrustic played off the right-wing in his debut.

“The captain came to me before the game and said ‘be ready’. I thought it’s probably the night but I won’t get too excited because two weeks earlier I was also sent to warm up after 60 minutes but I didn’t come on,’’ he said.

3:23
/
5:00

Autoplay
  • Too many 'muggles' at Freo

2:30

• Treloar's biggest flaw

0:49

• Walters rules out DCE

1:14

• Buzz opens up on Foran

0:52

• The curious case of Harry

1:47

• 'The noise of affirmation'

3:56

• Louise Ransome TNT stitch-up

0:37

• Watch AFL outside Australia

0:27

• Hasler re-signs until 2019

1:52

• Cleary takes over Tigers

10:16

• Martin fractures cheekbone

0:34

• Dees dealt double blow

0:41

• Ultimate Athlete - Northern Pride coach Ty Williams

1:05

• Ultimate Athlete - FNQ Heat coach Tim Campbell

2:09

• Ultimate Athlete - Tennis Queensland Far North participation officer Jen Rees

0:31

• Ultimate Athlete - AFL Cairns operations manager Craig Lees

0:22

• Cairns Post Ultimate Sports Talk

7:34

• Kiwi dominance continues

5:06

• Pies not feeling the pressure

0:42

• Swans unhappy with referees

2:24

A-League TV: Finals series around the corner

“Then the coach (Ernest Faber) told me I was the first sub and I came on and played on the right wing.

“For Australia I played on the left-wing but came inside.

“The coach was happy but I’ll take it step by step. There’s another game on (Thursday).

“I want to get minutes and play as many games as possible before the end of the season and stay fit.’’

Until he plays a senior international game, Hrustic can represent the Socceroos or Bosnia but revealed that Olyroos coach Josep Gombau had visited his club.

“The coach flew to Netherlands and spoke to the club about the July qualifiers (U23 Asian Cup) and that he wants me in his team, which means a lot,’’ Hrustic said.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/young-aussie-striker-ajdin-hrustic-making-waves-in-europe-with-new-dutch-club-groningen/news-story/405b60093f6627ac39a78b4c59bc9707

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Head on his shoulders and some. 

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 3 Apr 2017 10:50 PM
Head on his shoulders and some. 

We can hope if he is good enough that he is patient enough to wait for Australia and reject Bosnia. He may get called up for them in October if they are already knocked out of WC contention 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search